Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
well neither Colombia nor Jamaica are noted for cigars ...

I'd venture that the only thing "close" to a 707 is a 720
Actually, Macanudo (which is my favorite brand) offers an excellent cigar made in Jamaica. The trick, of course, is not to inhale......

3. And the Boeing 720B is correct. These turbofan powered versions of the B720 operated by Avianca were about a year old at the time and apparently were real hot rods....
Old May 4, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: All of them!
3) KIN/MBJ (1962) looking at the AVIANCA timetable it was a 720-B!
Old May 4, 2014, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57
3) KIN/MBJ (1962) looking at the AVIANCA timetable it was a 720-B!
3. Yes sir, you are correct!
Old May 4, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
My goodness! I hope our pal jlemon is able to afford the occasional brief respite from his computer in between addressing all these answers! I'd suggest it's high time for a well earned Cajun Bloody Mary. Or two! Thanks again for the time and effort that went into submitting all these great questions!! And now, I'll attempt to answer a couple...

12. You are in Salt Lake City and would like to travel to San Francisco. You discover a "milk run" flight operated by United that makes five intermediate stops en route. Identify all five stops and the equipment operated by UA on the route.

1962? I should imagine this would've been flown with a DC-6, routing Salt Lake City to Ely to Elko to Reno to Sacramento to Oakland to San Francisco.

16. Caribair was operating a unique version of the Convair 340 at this time. What was this unique feature?

Hey Now! Here's one I'm pretty sure about! Some of the 340s were equipped with JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off) boosters (more like a rocket than a pure jet, I believe) for operations out of St. Thomas.

21. What type of aircraft was Canadian Pacific operating on its direct flights between Vancouver (YVR) and Whitehorse (YXY) at this time?

Well, they ran the DC-3 into Fairbanks, but on the direct YVR-YXY run, I suspect it would have been a DC-6.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
My goodness! I hope our pal jlemon is able to afford the occasional brief respite from his computer in between addressing all these answers! I'd suggest it's high time for a well earned Cajun Bloody Mary. Or two! Thanks again for the time and effort that went into submitting all these great questions!! And now, I'll attempt to answer a couple...

12. You are in Salt Lake City and would like to travel to San Francisco. You discover a "milk run" flight operated by United that makes five intermediate stops en route. Identify all five stops and the equipment operated by UA on the route.

1962? I should imagine this would've been flown with a DC-6, routing Salt Lake City to Ely to Elko to Reno to Sacramento to Oakland to San Francisco.

16. Caribair was operating a unique version of the Convair 340 at this time. What was this unique feature?

Hey Now! Here's one I'm pretty sure about! Some of the 340s were equipped with JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off) boosters (more like a rocket than a pure jet, I believe) for operations out of St. Thomas.

21. What type of aircraft was Canadian Pacific operating on its direct flights between Vancouver (YVR) and Whitehorse (YXY) at this time?

Well, they ran the DC-3 into Fairbanks, but on the direct YVR-YXY run, I suspect it would have been a DC-6.
Hey-hey Seat 2A! And where are you now, my friend?!

12. Whoops! I neglected to update this quiz item with an ANSWERED note but have now done so. This was previously correctly answered by jrl767. Your routing of SLC-ELY-EKO-RNO-SMF-OAK-SFO is correct as well; however, the equipment operated on the route at this time by United was actually a Convair 340 Mainliner.

And speaking of the Convair 340.....

16. Correct! And I believe there may be a photo of a Caribair Convair 340 on airliners.net taking off from St. Thomas with the JATO system in operation.

21. Ah, CP was not operating the Douglas DC-6 between Vancouver and Whitehorse at this time. So here's a hint: the equipment was not a piston powered aircraft.

And with that, I shall now take a brief 72 hour break from the OTA&AQ. I'm off to Houston first thing in the morning to attend the annual Offshore Technology Conference (OTC). The company I'm with is not only exhibiting at this oil & gas industry show but will also actually have a brand new, twin engine Sikorsky S-76D helicopter on static display right next to our "luxury, air conditioned show tent" (we flew the S-76D into the convention center parking lot yesterday afternoon). So I'll return to my home here in south Louisiana this Wednesday evening and will then once again respond to your excellent answers. Thanks in advance for your patience!
Old May 4, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Hey-hey Seat 2A! And where are you now, my friend?!
It has been a whirlwind couple of days for 'ol 2A. I started yesterday morning in Portland, Maine, rode Amtrak's Downeaster down to Boston and then made my way over to Fenway Park to watch Jon Lester pitch an absolute gem of a game in leading the Red Sox to victory over my Oakland A's. Fenway is a living museum and my favorite baseball park ever, so just being there and soaking up the event on a pleasant Saturday afternoon diminished the sting of the loss. (Plus the A's beat the Sox today!) After the game I flew back across the continent to San Diego aboard Alaska's 737-800 painted up in the 75th Anniversary livery as worn by Alaska planes back in the 1930s.

Bonus Question: Anybody know what Alaska's name for this specially liveried 737 is?

This morning I flew up to Seattle, did some laundry, had a nice lunch down at Pike Place Market and am now about to board an Alaska 739 down to Denver. My upgrade has cleared and I'm looking forward to yet another variation of Alaska's ubiquitous chicken dinner.

Another Bonus Question: There's a 727-200 on display at the Boeing Field Museum of Flight. What airlines' livery is it wearing?
Old May 4, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... Another Bonus Question: There's a 727-200 on display at the Boeing Field Museum of Flight. What airlines' livery is it wearing?
I believe it's an AA 727-223 N874AA

and Fenway is indeed a GREAT venue for watching baseball!!

Last edited by jrl767; May 6, 2014 at 11:52 am Reason: add registration
Old May 5, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Icecat
50. In 1957, Canadian Pacific was serving only two airports in the U.S. One was Honolulu (HNL). Identify the other U.S. destination, describe the route and also name the aircraft type flown by CP on this service.

Fairbanks, DC-3. Whitehorse to Fairbanks with stops at Mayo and Dawson City on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
Now excuse my non-native naivete, but I had believed that, as Alaska and Hawaii were not States until 1959, neither would be "in the United States" in 1957. Or is there something I'm missing ?
Old May 5, 2014, 9:40 am

35. Now you are Nashville and wish to travel to Tulsa You ascertain that one airline operates daily nonstop service and better yet, first class is offered. What air carrier and aircraft type will you be flying on?

37. Also in 1963, only one airline was flying nonstop between San Diego and Mexico City. Identify this air carrier as well as the aircraft type operated on the route.
35. The choice would be between AA and BN on this one. I'll go with an AA Lockheed Electra.

37. Western Air Lines, Lockheed Electra.

Jon Proctor has just uploaded many photos of SAN from the late 1950s and early 1960s, along with more photos of LAX, ORD/MDW, and JFK/LGA. If you haven't visited his fantastic web site in a while, it's time to re visit it!
Old May 5, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by WHBM
Now excuse my non-native naivete, but I had believed that, as Alaska and Hawaii were not States until 1959, neither would be "in the United States" in 1957. Or is there something I'm missing ?
US territories are part of the United States, per Congress and several cases ruled on by the United States Supreme Court. In Alaska's case back in 1905 -
the USSC ruled in Rassmussen v. the United States (197 U.S. 516, 522 (1905));
a majority of the Court concluded that Alaska had been incorporated into the United States because the treaty of cession with Russia specifically declared that "the inhabitants of the ceded territory shall be admitted to the enjoyment of all the rights, advantages and immunities of citizens of the United States.[20]
Also for your information all US territories are represented in the United States Congress by a non-voting delegate from that territory.
That's it for today's lesson.
Old May 5, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Bonus Question: Anybody know what Alaska's name for this specially liveried 737 is?

Yes, the aircraft with the 75th Anniversary livery is called Starliner 75.

SEATTLE, March 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alaska Airlines today
introduced "Starliner 75," a new 737-800 featuring a 1940s paint scheme, to
celebrate the airline's 75th anniversary. The aircraft was unveiled at
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport before making its inaugural flight to
Anchorage, Alaska, where the airline was founded in 1932.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: BA
An Ansett-ANA timetable from 1962 lists several turboprop aircraft being operated by the carrier, all under the banner "Golden Jet Services".

Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA) was guilty of the same thing with their Lockheed L-188 Electra aircraft. Please permit me to recreate this marketing message from a 1962 PSA timetable....

Still! The Lowest JET Fares! San Francisco - Los Angeles $13.50 (plus tax). PSA SUPER Electra JETS
It should have struck me. There's a current example very much closer to home

http://www.airliners.net/photo/CityJ...879f8fda94354b
Old May 6, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
4. Avianca was also flying once a week between Bogota and Frankfurt at this time. There were four intermediate stops en route. Identify all four stops as well as the equipment flown on the route. Also, what was the name that Avianca used to promote their in flight service on this and other international routes?
Now that the pleasant brunch I enjoyed (with Seat 2A and jlemon) and Jazz Fest is over, I can turn my attention to other pleasant diversions: let's try the 1962 Avianca service BOG-FRA.
Four stops: BOG-MIQ-SJU-MAD-ORY-FRA
Equipment: Boeing 720-B
"Red Ruana" Service -- the red ruana was the red cape that the stewardesses (oops -- flight attendants) wore.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
2. This South American based airline was operating direct service once a week to Beirut, Lebanon. Four intermediate stops were made en route. Identify the air carrier, the airport in South America where this flight originated from, all four stops and the equipment flown on the route.
I'll try Varig (RG) with this routing: GRU-GIG-MLW (Monrovia)-MAD-FCO-BEY; equipment Boeing 707 (although the feeder flight GRU-GIG could have been something else).
Old May 6, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Icecat

Yes, the aircraft with the 75th Anniversary livery is called Starliner 75.

SEATTLE, March 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Alaska Airlines today
introduced "Starliner 75," a new 737-800 featuring a 1940s paint scheme, to
celebrate the airline's 75th anniversary. The aircraft was unveiled at
Seattle-Tacoma International Airport before making its inaugural flight to
Anchorage, Alaska, where the airline was founded in 1932.
bonus bonus question (should be a very easy one): this is the second instantiation of Alaska Airlines operating a "Starliner" ... what is the first?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.