Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
45. It's 1968 and you are in New Orleans. You've just finished work on a project and are now enjoying a gourmet dinner with very good friends in the French Quarter. The wine? A 1958 Segla Margaux from Bordeaux. Yes, life is good....and it's about to get better as a message then arrives at your table. It's from your old sailing buddy from Santa Barbara who has just arrived in Key West with his new catamaran! You ring him up and before you know it, he's talked you into joining him and his lady friends for a sail around the western tip of Cuba to the delightful little island of Cayman Brac. So you now need to travel to Key West. You quickly discover there is a direct, no change of plane flight departing MSY first thing in the morning to EYW and better yet, first class is offered! You also note this service is a classic "milk run" flight with no less than six intermediate stops being made en route. Name the airline and the aircraft type you'll be flying on as well as all six stops.
ok, the presence of first class means this HAS to be a Lockheed Electra operated by National Airlines ... now for stops, I'd reckon Mobile (MOB), Pensacola (PNS), Jacksonville (JAX), Orlando (MCO? or were they still using ORL?), West Palm Beach (PBI), and Miami (MIA)
Old May 13, 2014, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
time to take a few more pot shots at 1962

WA 707s could be found on thru service MSP-SLC-LAX, as well as on single-segment trips MSP-DEN and DEN-SFO

LGB was an intermediate stop for WA Electras between SAN and SFO
22. DEN, LAX, MSP, SFO and SLC are all correct! I think these aircraft were actually Boeing 707-139 models. Western would then subsequently remove these particular 707s from their fleet which meant at one point the only jet type they were operating was the turbofan Boeing 720B before they acquired Pacific Northern Airlines and inherited PNA's turbojet Boeing 720 aircraft.

WA would then reintroduce Boeing 707 equipment in later years in the form of the 707-320 series....but I'm unsure whether these were 320B or 320C models.

BTW, back in August of 1962, Western was operating their 720Bs into such destinations as MEX, PDX, PHX and SEA in addition to LAX and SFO. And also at this time, WA was not operating jet equipment into LAS and SAN which were served instead with Lockheed L-188 Electras and Douglas DC-6Bs.

30. Correct! Western was operating one round trip a day on a SAN-LGB-SFO routing with the Electra and would eventually cease serving the Long Beach market.
Old May 13, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
ok, the presence of first class means this HAS to be a Lockheed Electra operated by National Airlines ... now for stops, I'd reckon Mobile (MOB), Pensacola (PNS), Jacksonville (JAX), Orlando (MCO? or were they still using ORL?), West Palm Beach (PBI), and Miami (MIA)
45. National Airlines with Lockheed L-188 Electra service featuring first class and coach (classes A/T) is correct!

Of course, the routing was a bit different and here it is....

NA 372: New Orleans-Mobile-Pensacola-Panama City-Tampa-Orlando-Miami-Key West
Op: Daily
Equip: "Electra PROP JET"
Note: 7:30am departure from MSY with a 2:45pm arrival in EYW

NA 372 was the only flight operated by National into Key West at this time. The Electra was then turned around and departed back to MIA, of course.... but the flight then took a different routing to its eventual final destination (which was not MSY).

So here's a follow up question: what was the routing of this Electra flight back in 1968 after the initial northbound EYW-MIA leg? ANSWERED

BTW, National would eventually replace their Electra service with a daily MIA-EYW round trip operated with a Boeing 727-100 before ceasing all service into Key West.....

Last edited by jlemon; May 21, 2014 at 8:16 am Reason: departure & arrival time info for NA 372....and an answer update
Old May 13, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
... WA would then reintroduce Boeing 707 equipment in later years in the form of the 707-320 series....but I'm unsure whether these were 320B or 320C models. ...
WA operated a handful of 707-347Cs ... we talked about these a couple months ago, and a year or so earlier I posed a question about them in Combi service LAX-SFO-SEA-ANC in the late 70s/early 80s

... BTW, back in August of 1962, Western was operating their 720Bs into such destinations as MEX, PDX, PHX and SEA in addition to LAX and SFO. ...
my first jet flights (May 1962) were on WA 720Bs (WA 604 LAX-PDX-SEA and WA 623 SEA-SFO-LAX); my dad was in the Air Force's Minuteman project office and had to attend a week-long meeting at Boeing, so he took a couple extra days of leave and brought my mom and sister and me to see the World's Fair

Last edited by jrl767; May 13, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And we have breaking news concerning little ole Lafayette Regional Airport (LFT) here in south Louisiana.....

Delta has announced they will commence mainline jet service with the Boeing 717-200 on a LFT-ATL routing early this July. And at the same time, Delta Connection will initiate CRJ-900 service LFT-ATL as well. Other LFT-ATL flights will continue to be operated by DL Connection with CRJ-200 equipment. At present, the largest aircraft type operated by DL Connection into LFT is the CRJ-700.

This move by Delta will mark the return of major airline service with a mainline aircraft type to the Lafayette market. Back in the day, Continental operated Boeing 737-300 or 737-500 flights LFT-IAH before turning all service over to Continental Express with Embraer ERJ-135/145 equipment. And at one point, Allegiant was operating an MD-80 nonstop LFT-LAS twice a week but then jumped out of the market about as quickly as they jumped in.

It will be interesting to see if this increase in capacity by DL works here. Meantime, I keep hoping that American Eagle will do something sexy with regard to the aircraft they operate on the LFT-DFW route (instead of replacing small Embraer ERJs with small Canadair CRJs)......
Old May 15, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: BA
36. ......... two other new airliners began test flights in 1963. Identify both.
In an uncanny coincidence, on the day these first flight questions were being posed here in the thread, the chief test pilot on a number of them passed away.

http://www.pprune.org/flight-testing...ml#post8476516

Jock Bryce was in charge of the first flight of a number of the aircraft from Vickers/BAC in those questions of ours, and others. Viscount, Vanguard, VC-10, One-Eleven and others, he was the one up front.

He gave up the arduous job in 1965 at the age of 44, being succeeded by Brian Trubshaw (later the first to fly Concorde), and became Sales Director at BAC, where he oversaw many of the One-Eleven sales. It seems a number of the formal presentations to airlines were followed by a "quick whizz" with him up front.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and I recently saw where the 50th anniversary of first flight of the Super VC-10 was last week
Old May 16, 2014, 8:08 am

Could any one help me? I wonder if there was ever a CO/PE joint livery as there was a CO/NY livery:

Old May 16, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Could any one help me? I wonder if there was ever a CO/PE joint livery as there was a CO/NY livery:

I think there may have been an interim livery where the PeoplExpress name was removed from the aircraft and the Continental name was applied along with the red CO "jetstream" logo on the tail.....I seem to recall seeing a B747 with the CO name and the PE livery.

Update: and I've now found a photo of this B747 on airliners.net under B747 and Continental, being N604PE, a B747-243B.

Last edited by jlemon; May 16, 2014 at 2:55 pm Reason: update.....and 747 model correction
Old May 16, 2014, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have a new question, to which I don't know the complete answer.

In the summer of 1998, AA scheduled and began selling tickets on flights between several previously unserved US cities and NRT. What were these cities? Why didn't the routes pan out? What airlines serve these markets now?
Old May 16, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I also think there may have been an interim Continental-PeoplExpress livery with former PE Boeing 727-200 aircraft.....

BTW, if you'll kindly refer to posts 4816 and 4817 above, you will see that we still have five quiz items that remain unanswered from my recent set.

The old OTA&AQ appears to have throttled back to flight idle at the moment with regard to responses to these quiz items; however, I'll let them sit out there for at least another week before I begin to provide answers.....

Last edited by jlemon; May 24, 2014 at 9:40 am Reason: update: remaining unanswered quiz items.....
Old May 16, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

32. With regard to National's DC-8 service to seven U.S. cities in 1962, you've named them all correctly except for one: San Diego was not served with the DC-8 by NA at this time....but Tampa was.

So here's a follow up question: what type of aircraft was National using to serve San Diego in 1962?
And I will go ahead and answer the above follow up question....

At this time, National was operating exactly one flight a day into and out of San Diego. Here's the inbound sched....

NA 272: JAX-MCO-TPA-MSY-HOU-LAX-SAN
Equip: "Electra II PROP JET" (configured with first and coach)
Note: NA 272 departed JAX at 8:40am and arrived in SAN at 4:35pm

The Electra then sat on ground in San Diego for over seven hours before the outbound flight departed as a red eye....

NA 266: SAN-LAX-HOU-MSY-MIA
Equip: "Electra II PROP JET" (configured with first and coach)
Note: NA 266 departed SAN at 11:50pm and arrived in MIA at 11:30am
Old May 16, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL, AA
25. Fill in the blanks concerning the following airline marketing statement:

"The __________ Caravelle. Quietest jet in the world joins the World's Largest Jet Fleet. And in all the ________, only _________ has it."

Captivating, USA, United
Old May 16, 2014, 7:32 pm

10. United was also operating several "Men Only" flights at this time. Two of these flights departed Chicago at 5:00pm local each weekday to different destinations. Name both destinations and the equipment used on each flight. In addition, UA had very specific and different descriptive names to identify each of these flights. What were the names used to describe these flights? Partially answered...ORD-EWR correctly identified....still looking for the other route from ORD
Wasn't the second Executive Class flight to LGA?
Old May 16, 2014, 7:50 pm

11. Besides the "Men Only" service offered by United from Chicago, the airline was also operating this same type of "Men Only" service between two other city pairs in a different area of the U.S. at this time. Name both of the airports served by these flights as well as the equipment flown on the service. Also, UA used very descriptive and different names to identify these flights depending on the direction of travel. What were these names?
This as to be the LAX-SFO market operated with a 720, but I can't come up with the names.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.