Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL, AA
49. In 1965, these two air carriers were operating a daily interchange service between Atlanta and Denver. A total of eight intermediate stops were made en route in each direction between ATL and DEN. Name both airlines, the aircraft type operated on the route and all eight stops. Also identify the interchange airport where one carrier handed off the service to the other carrier.

Here is my guess in the dark:
two carriers involved: Eastern/Braniff
Cities Served: DEN, COS, AMA, OKC, TUL, FSM, LIT, MEM, ATL
Interchange Airport: MEM
Aircraft type: How about a Convair 340/440?
Old May 10, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
... speaking of American, it appears that AA has finally retired their last Boeing 767-200 ...
767-200: I think US still operates a few, not sure if UA has any of the ex-CO jets in service ... other than freighter conversions, are there any others out there?
Old May 11, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by jrl767
767-200: I think US still operates a few, not sure if UA has any of the ex-CO jets in service ... other than freighter conversions, are there any others out there?
Omni International has a couple of ex-CO's 762 birds.
Old May 11, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Icecat
21. What type of aircraft was Canadian Pacific operating on its direct flights between Vancouver (YVR) and Whitehorse (YXY) at this time?

Britannia Empress operated by a Bristol Britannia 314, with a first class airfare of $75 one-way.
21. Correct! At this time, Canadian Pacific was operating the Britannia "Empress" (CP name for the aircraft) between Vancouver and Europe (YVR-YYC-YEG-AMS) and also between Vancouver and Hawaii (YVR-HNL). So YVR was an operational base for the big turboprop.

The service between Vancouver and Whitehorse was operated six days a week. On Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, the routing was Vancouver-Prince George-Fort St. John-Ft. Nelson-Whitehorse. On Tuesdays and Thursdays an additional stop was made at Watson Lake. It appears the Britannia was a rather large aircraft for this service.....but then again, CP would later serve all of these smaller destinations in western Canada with the Boeing 737-200.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
49. In 1965, these two air carriers were operating a daily interchange service between Atlanta and Denver. A total of eight intermediate stops were made en route in each direction between ATL and DEN. Name both airlines, the aircraft type operated on the route and all eight stops. Also identify the interchange airport where one carrier handed off the service to the other carrier.

Here is my guess in the dark:
two carriers involved: Eastern/Braniff
Cities Served: DEN, COS, AMA, OKC, TUL, FSM, LIT, MEM, ATL
Interchange Airport: MEM
Aircraft type: How about a Convair 340/440?
49. Correct....with one en route stop missing: Birmingham (BHM). Both the Braniff and Eastern timetables list the equipment as a "Convair" and I think the aircraft was actually a CV-440. The eastbound version of this interchange "Eastern - Braniff Thru Plane Service" was an all day affair with the flight departing Denver at 8:10am and arriving in Atlanta at 7:50pm.

Last edited by jlemon; May 11, 2014 at 1:12 pm Reason: additional info....
Old May 11, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
Yep....and the US B767-200ER aircraft were originally purchased new by Piedmont for their Charlotte-London service. PI also operated their 762 aircraft Charlotte-Los Angeles. I traveled on this CLT-LAX flight in F and Piedmont's front cabin service with a 2-1-2 seating config was excellent.
Old May 11, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Omni International has a couple of ex-CO's 762 birds.
Quite true....and at one point Omni Air International (OAI) was operating some type of scheduled charter service with the 762 between Las Vegas and Honolulu, although I'm not sure what they are doing these days. BTW, it appears that OAI also operates B767-300 and B777-200 aircraft.....
Old May 11, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, oh by the way, if there are any mothers out there who are actually reading this thread........

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!
Old May 11, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: BA
And, oh by the way, if there are any mothers out there who are actually reading this thread........

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!!
Goodness. We in the UK had ours on March 30th, it's always the 4th Sunday of Lent here, so sometimes even earlier.

Traditionally flowers are given, and the prices in florists' shops skyrockets on the day. It's also a bit early for flower growers in the UK, but the Channel Islands a bit further south seem to just manage, in fact it's a principal industry there. And so there has long been the most tremendous airlift by old cargo aircraft on the Friday (in particular) beforehand. Through the 1950s and 60s any airworthy Bristol Freighter was involved, with DC3s picking up the residue. By the 1990s it was old Handley Page Heralds, and more recently the quite large fleet of Lockheed Electras that Channel Express (who were an offshoot of a Channel Islands freight forwarder) built up were all out day and night for a burst of operations. Nowadays it's British Aerospace ATPs, which had a quick fall from grace in passenger service, which seem to come out.

Plenty of pictures of both flowers and old aircraft (and a Handley Page Herald made out of flowers) on the web page of the principal operator here

http://www.jet2holidays.com/dart-group-history.aspx

Last edited by WHBM; May 11, 2014 at 9:44 am
Old May 11, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

49. Correct....with one en route stop missing: Birmingham (BHM). Both the Braniff and Eastern timetables list the equipment as a "Convair" and I think the aircraft was actually a CV-440. The eastbound version of this interchange "Eastern - Braniff Thru Plane Service" was an all day affair with the flight departing Denver at 8:10am and arriving in Atlanta at 7:50pm.
BTW, this Braniff-Eastern interchange service would be modified as the years passed. By 1967, the flight was being operated with a Lockheed L-188 Electra with a round trip routing of DEN-AMA-OKC-TUL-LIT-MEM-BHM-ATL. And by 1968, this BN-EA interchange flight featured a Boeing 727 with a round trip routing of DEN-MEM-ATL-MIA.....

There is a photo from 1967 of an Eastern operated Electra (N5532) at Denver on airliners.net as the aircraft was being readied for a 6:00am departure, most likely as the interchange flight as EA was not operating into DEN on its own at this time (and in the background of this shot one can also see a pair of Frontier Boeing 727-100s as well as a pair of Frontier Convair 580s).

Whether operated by piston, turboprop or jet equipment, there was one thing that did not change over the years: the flight numbers used for this daily interchange service. BN/EA 981 was used on the eastbound and EA/BN 982 was used on the westbound.

Last edited by jlemon; May 11, 2014 at 1:11 pm Reason: EA Electra at DEN & BN-EA interchange flight number info....
Old May 11, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Yep....and the US B767-200ER aircraft were originally purchased new by Piedmont for their Charlotte-London service. PI also operated their 762 aircraft Charlotte-Los Angeles ...
4 Aug 1989 ... Piedmont's last day ... I flew LAX-BWI on PI 1146, operated by 767-201ER N647US ... this was the redeye that left ~1130pm, so in all likelihood it was the last trip to carry a PI designator

Last edited by jrl767; May 12, 2014 at 7:49 am Reason: corrected date and flight number
Old May 11, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Goodness. We in the UK had ours on March 30th, it's always the 4th Sunday of Lent here, so sometimes even earlier.

Traditionally flowers are given, and the prices in florists' shops skyrockets on the day.....
Roger that concerning the price of flowers, specifically roses! What had been under $10 U.S. just several weeks ago cost me north of $22 this past Friday!

And Happy Mother's Day (the U.S. version, that is) to Mrs. WHBM even though it's now evening-time in London.....

Last edited by jlemon; May 11, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Old May 11, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA
And Happy Mother's Day (the U.S. version, that is) to Mrs. WHBM even though it's now evening-time in London.....
For which thanks are sent, along with comparable greetings to all the other wives and partners* of those here, because I was told there's a suspicion that we may all be men

* : there was an additional qualification for these, of "long suffering", which on interrogation was explained as "well, if they have to put up with as many old aircraft books strewn about the coffee table as I do ......."
Old May 11, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
For which thanks are sent, along with comparable greetings to all the other wives and partners* of those here, because I was told there's a suspicion that we may all be men

* : there was an additional qualification for these, of "long suffering", which on interrogation was explained as "well, if they have to put up with as many old aircraft books strewn about the coffee table as I do ......."
Yes, indeed....followed by, "What? Yet another 1/200th scale die cast metal model of yet another airplane? Where are you going to put that one? You've literally run out of room in your office here at home!"

"But, honey, it's a rare Eastern DC-9-15 with a polished, silver-like fuselage......."

Last edited by jlemon; May 11, 2014 at 4:50 pm Reason: "Well, no dear, it's not really made of silver....."
Old May 13, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

time to take a few more pot shots at 1962

22. Western Air Lines was operating both the Boeing 707 and Boeing 720B at this time. The 707 was operated into five airports in the U.S. by WA. Identify all five.
WA 707s could be found on thru service MSP-SLC-LAX, as well as on single-segment trips MSP-DEN and DEN-SFO

30. What type of aircraft was Western Air Lines operating into Long Beach at this time? Also identify the two nonstop routes WA was flying from LGB with this equipment.
LGB was an intermediate stop for WA Electras between SAN and SFO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.