FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:42 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
jrl22: PSA and UA were going head-to-head on this route as far back as the mid 70s; as I recall they both had on-the-hour service, and for a while UA even ran on the half-hour at morning and evening peaks ... PS even operated L-1011s on this segment (I flew SFO-LAX on N10112 in Jan 1975)

Good old PSA....as a native of Southern California, I flew with them many times over the years, primarily into and out of LAX and BUR on B727-200, MD-80 and BAe 146 aircraft. And my first airline flight ever as a young kid was on board a PSA L-188 Electra from LAX to SFO.

If I remember correctly, PSA's rationale for acquiring and operating the L-1011 was that the airline's management thought that United was planning on operating DC-10 shuttle service between LAX and SFO. I do not believe that happened although I think UA did operate the odd wide body flight between the two city pairs. Thus, PSA was left with a very large aircraft type which they had trouble filling. Besides LAX-SFO, PSA also operated the L10 on SAN-LAX-SFO and LAX-SFO-SMF routings. L-1011 services did not last very long at PSA.....

Catch our smile.....PSA!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 15, 2013 at 8:47 am