Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by cs57
34. This U.S. airline claimed in a 1967 ad that it would commence SST service in 1971. By the mid-1970s this airline also claimed it would introduce the Boeing SST, of which it has ordered more than any other airline in the world. Hmm… which airline could this have been…?

SST by 1971 and Boeing SST--This must have been Pan American!

Yep - it sure was!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
You'll find the rest of the unanswered questions right HERE.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
8) I'll hazard a wild guess that this was TACA with a BAC One-Eleven operating from Merida to New Orleans as an extension of service from Central America. Way back in the day I saw a TACA BAC One-Eleven at MSY; however, I never flew with them.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Mr. Lemon, I am indeed surprised. Your wild guesses are so often spot on but alas, this time you've guessed the wrong airline. Please - guess again!
Just before jlemon posted, I was going to guess it was Aviateca (GU) with a BAC 111 -- but GU became part of the TACA group (I don't understand the complexities of TACA), so I don't know if this qualifies as a "different" guess.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
35b. Which airline carried the Boeing designation -35 on its jets? (C'mon now - y'all gots to know this'n off the top a yo haids!)
-35 was Boeing's customer designator for National Airlines

(I know, I know ... as a former Boeing Flight Test engineer I should have probably left this for someone else ...)
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
The following ten questions are based upon schedules published in the first half of 1974

9. A Seriously Challenging jlemon Special: Always one to eschew nonstop service, you’re positively ecstatic to discover that not one – not two – but THREE different airlines operate a four stop flight between New Orleans and Chicago. So many choices! Identify each of the airlines, the routes they flew between MSY and ORD and the aircraft each airline employed on its flight.
Love those milk runs -- especially if they have MSY in them!

16. Not many flights offered First Class service into Charleston, West Virginia in 1968. However, from Washington’s National Airport two airlines provided nonstop flights offering the option to purchase a wider seat with a nicer meal. Identify these two airlines and the equipment flown by each one.
        Buest guesses: American with a Lockiheed Electra, and Eastern with a Convair 440
        Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:40 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

1. Not including flights between New York and the Caribbean, Air France operated three fifth freedom flights within continental North America. Identify the three routes and the aircraft utilized on each route.

3. The jlemon Special: Since we’re on the topic of multi-stop flights, why would anyone want to fly between Phoenix and Denver aboard a boring 727 or 737 when they could instead book a seat aboard this six stop propjet? Identify the airline, the aircraft and the six airports visited enroute.

4. Three days a week this airline would operate a three stop flight between Guam and New York. Los Angeles was not one of the enroute stops. Identify the airline, the aircraft used and the stops made enroute.
        1) Montreal Mirabel (YMX) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD) operated with a Boeing 747-200

Houston Intercontinental (IAH) - Mexico City (MEX) operated with a Boeing 747-200

Miami (MIA) - Port Au Prince (PAP) operated with a Boeing 737-200.....and this flight continued on to San Juan (SJU), St. Maarten (SXM), Pointe a Pitre (PTP) and Fort De France (FDF).

3) Sounds like good old Frontier operating a Convair 580 with a routing of Phoenix (PHX) - Flagstaff (FLG) - Gallup (GUP) - Farmington (FMN) - Cortez (CEZ) - Durango (DRO) - Alamosa (ALS) - Denver (DEN). And if there were thunderstorms en route, this flight could get just a tad bumpy......

4) Let's go with Pan Am operating a Boeing 707 with a routing of Guam (GUM) - Osaka (OSA) - Tokyo (NRT) - Fairbanks (FAI) - New York (JFK). And I think this was one of the few times that Fairbanks had international, transpacific jet service.
        Old Aug 2, 2014, 9:11 am

4) Let's go with Pan Am operating a Boeing 707 with a routing of Guam (GUM) - Osaka (OSA) - Tokyo (NRT) - Fairbanks (FAI) - New York (JFK). And I think this was one of the few times that Fairbanks had international, transpacific jet service.
        That was PA flight 800 -- I flew it from FAI-JFK in Feb of 1974 and as I recall (indistinctly) the incoming pax from NRT did not go through immigration/customs until JFK, which made me conjure up a plot for a spy story where I would switch briefcases or identity with someone because as a domestic passenger I would not have to go through the same procedures at JFK. Anyone know if that makes sense?
        Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:49 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist
        Original Poster

Everybody knows that Pan Am flies a nonstop 727 on the MID-MSY route, but you want the more exotic option, also operated nonstop. Identify the more alluring airline and aircraft that also provides nonstop flights between Merida and New Orleans.

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by jlemon
        I'll hazard a wild guess that this was TACA with a BAC One-Eleven operating from Merida to New Orleans as an extension of service from Central America. Way back in the day I saw a TACA BAC One-Eleven at MSY; however, I never flew with them.
        Originally Posted by miniliq
        Just before jlemon posted, I was going to guess it was Aviateca (GU) with a BAC 111 -- but GU became part of the TACA group (I don't understand the complexities of TACA), so I don't know if this qualifies as a "different" guess.
        The airline code (GU) in the schedule I referenced indicated this flight to be operated by a BAC-111 with AVIATECA. Per information found in Wikipedia, AVIATECA didn't join the TACA alliance until the next year (1989)

So - with the vagaries of Wikipedia information having been duly noted, I would have to say that based upon the information I currently have available to me, your answer is... Correct!
        Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:53 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist
        Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
        -35 was Boeing's customer designator for National Airlines

(I know, I know ... as a former Boeing Flight Test engineer I should have probably left this for someone else ...)
        Past history notwithstanding, you've nailed it! Well done, J!
        Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:05 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist
        Original Poster

Originally Posted by miniliq
        9. A Seriously Challenging jlemon Special: Always one to eschew nonstop service, you’re positively ecstatic to discover that not one – not two – but THREE different airlines operate a four stop flight between New Orleans and Chicago. So many choices! Identify each of the airlines, the routes they flew between MSY and ORD and the aircraft each airline employed on its flight.

Love those milk runs -- especially if they have MSY in them!
          Correct!
            Well, you've hit one of the cities! That'd be Memphis. Good luck with the rest!
              Correct!

16. Not many flights offered First Class service into Charleston, West Virginia in 1968. However, from Washington’s National Airport two airlines provided nonstop flights offering the option to purchase a wider seat with a nicer meal. Identify these two airlines and the equipment flown by each one.

Best guesses: American with a Lockheed Electra, and Eastern with a Convair 440

Did Eastern ever operate a First Class cabin on its 440s? Did anybody on a 440? Perhaps they did, but for the purposes of this question and answer the schedule indicates that both American and Eastern operated Lockheed L-188 Electras on this route. ^
              Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:24 am
              FlyerTalk Evangelist
              Original Poster

1. Not including flights between New York and the Caribbean, Air France operated three fifth freedom flights within continental North America. Identify the three routes and the aircraft utilized on each route.

Montreal Mirabel (YMX) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD) operated with a Boeing 747-200

Houston Intercontinental (IAH) - Mexico City (MEX) operated with a Boeing 747-200

Miami (MIA) - Port Au Prince (PAP) operated with a Boeing 737-200.....and this flight continued on to San Juan (SJU), St. Maarten (SXM), Pointe a Pitre (PTP) and Fort De France (FDF).

You've got two of the three right! Remember, we're not counting services between the U.S. and the Caribbean...

3. The jlemon Special: Since we’re on the topic of multi-stop flights, why would anyone want to fly between Phoenix and Denver aboard a boring 727 or 737 when they could instead book a seat aboard this six stop propjet? Identify the airline, the aircraft and the six airports visited enroute.

Sounds like good old Frontier operating a Convair 580 with a routing of Phoenix (PHX) - Flagstaff (FLG) - Gallup (GUP) - Farmington (FMN) - Cortez (CEZ) - Durango (DRO) - Alamosa (ALS) - Denver (DEN).

You've got the airline and aircraft correct, and you're definitely in the ballpark with the routing except that you're missing one enroute city while incorporating another city that wasn't in the route. I'll leave this one out there to let you puzzle through it a bit longer.

And if there were thunderstorms en route, this flight could get just a tad bumpy......

I used to pick this flight up in Durango back in the early 70s. The cabin often bore olfactory evidence of someone's travails while flying through the hot, sometimes turbulent air over the desert southwest. From Durango, we had to make our way over the Rocky Mountains resulting in further gastric upheavals from an unfortunate few. We always referred to Frontier's 580s as "The Vomit Comet"!

4. Three days a week this airline would operate a three stop flight between Guam and New York. Los Angeles was not one of the enroute stops. Identify the airline, the aircraft used and the stops made enroute.

One of the few times? I'm thinking that aside from charters and cargo flights, this Pan Am flight may well have been the only flight to ever provide international, transpacific jet service to/from FAI.

By the way, your answer is spot on
              !
              Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA
              I haven't got any reference stuff to hand (that's cheating anyway), but here goes, and I think for the mid-1970s I can have four.

1. Paris-Montreal-Chicago, a favourite 5th freedom flight for a number of European carriers over time. Probably a 747.

2. Paris-Houston-Mexico City, another that was common, KLM did the same thing. There actually wasn't a lot of demand between Paris (or Amsterdam) and Texas, but much of the Houston traffic on these flights was oil workers in transit to The Gulf and the Middle East. Did AF have enough 747s for this at the time ? Say yes, WHBM.

3. Miami to Port au Prince etc. A Caribbean flight but not from New York. Run with 737s leased from Western to get round a French union issue.

4. Paris-New York down to somewhere in Mexico other than MEX. Both Air France and Lufthansa did this in the 1970s, there was an attempt to build up Mexican tourist traffic which never really caught on. Puerto Vallarta ? Acapulco ? Both on one flight ? I also seem to recall that AF used a 747 over to JFK, then passengers changed onto a 707 onwards.
              Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA
              Did Eastern ever operate a First Class cabin on its 440s? Did anybody on a 440?
              Certainly; the whole aircraft was designated as First Class ("A class"), as was common with many trunk airline prop aircraft of the time in the USA. I believe this was done in part to overcome CAB-regulated fares by saying the service class on a one-class aircraft was all of the higher class. Seat pitch was very good compared to nowadays but you wouldn't find much in the way of fine frippery. Tourist class, as a second class, was commonly on a limited number of routes in separate prop aircraft. It was jets that, apart from some odd exceptions, brought two classes in one aircraft along.
              Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:54 pm
              FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

17. Identify the three cities served from Boston by Air Canada.
              1) Well, heck! I interpreted this quiz item to not to include Air France service between "New York and the Caribbean"! Thus, my above answer concerning the AF MIA-PAP-SJU-SXM-PTP-FDF route (and BTW, was local traffic permitted from MIA to SJU via PAP? I think not)....but obviously there's another route here. And, of course, I don't have a clue!

So it's wild guess time: New York (JFK) - Cancun (was CKO back then and is now CUN - not sure why the airport code was changed) operated with a Boeing 707. Now, Cancun is in Mexico, of course....but I believe it is also located on the Caribbean Sea!

And here's a hopefully interesting side note.....back in the mid 70's, Air France and Texas International were flying the same nonstop route between Houston Intercontinental and Mexico City. In fact, the TI flight operated with a DC-9-10 departed IAH just five minutes ahead of the AF B747-200 flight.

Even though these flights departed just minutes from one another, lunch was served on the TI flight while dinner was served on the AF flight.

The fare for the single class (S class) flight on TI was $66.00 one way from IAH to MEX. And the coach air fare (Y class) on the AF flight was also $66.00. However, for just $18 more, one could fly first class on the AF 747 and enjoy dinner and beverages with the intercontinental service standard offered by Air France. I know what flight I would have taken..... and I would have also received two bucks in change for my twenty dollar bill following the upgrade transaction!

3) I'll try this one again as well! Phoenix (PHX) - Flagstaff (FLG) - Winslow (INW) - Gallup (GUP) - Farmington (FMN) - Durango (DRO) - Alamosa (ALS) - Denver (DEN). Frontier, of course, with the CV-580.

17) Ah, good old Mapleflot.......at least, that was the nickname for AC back when it was government owned. So let's talk about not only nonstop service but direct flights as well (as you did not mandate nonstops only) operated by Air Canada from Boston:

Halifax, N.S. (YHZ): nonstop and direct D9S service

Saint John, N.B. (YSJ): nonstop D9S service

St. Johns, Nfld. (YYT): direct D9S service

Sydney, N.S. (YQY): direct D9S service

Yarmouth, N.S. (YQI): nonstop D9S service
              Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:05 pm
              FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
              Certainly; the whole aircraft was designated as First Class ("A class"), as was common with many trunk airline prop aircraft of the time in the USA. I believe this was done in part to overcome CAB-regulated fares by saying the service class on a one-class aircraft was all of the higher class. Seat pitch was very good compared to nowadays but you wouldn't find much in the way of fine frippery. Tourist class, as a second class, was commonly on a limited number of routes in separate prop aircraft. It was jets that, apart from some odd exceptions, brought two classes in one aircraft along.
              Interesting to note that when United introduced the Boeing 727-100 into their fleet, it appears these aircraft did not have a first class cabin. UA initially operated the 727 in an all coach configuration which they called "standard" (S) class. UA schedules from the summer of 1965 appear to indicate this was true. However, someone at their corporate headquarters apparently had second thoughts concerning this as by the spring of 1966 United's 727s were all in two class, first and coach (F/Y) configuration, according to their system timetable at that time.....and, of course, United's Caravelles were operated with an all first class cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.