Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:14 am

10. It's the summer of 1982 and you are in Glasgow on beautiful Sunday afternoon in Scotland as you have a business meeting first thing in the morning that should not take very long. Then a message is delivered from a special lady friend: Can you be in New York City by tomorrow night? Well, where there is a will, there is certainly a way! You ascertain there is a direct flight departing Glasgow every Monday afternoon at 1:10 pm that will get you into New York City by 7:15 pm. You book a seat on this weekly service which makes two intermediate stops en route. Name the airline, the two stops, the airport you will arrive into in NYC and the aircraft type.
Northwest operating a _______ to JFK with stops in SNN and BOS. Just looking for the aircraft type which wasn't a DC-10.

Must have been a 747-100..
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
10. It's the summer of 1982 and you are in Glasgow on beautiful Sunday afternoon in Scotland as you have a business meeting first thing in the morning that should not take very long. Then a message is delivered from a special lady friend: Can you be in New York City by tomorrow night? Well, where there is a will, there is certainly a way! You ascertain there is a direct flight departing Glasgow every Monday afternoon at 1:10 pm that will get you into New York City by 7:15 pm. You book a seat on this weekly service which makes two intermediate stops en route. Name the airline, the two stops, the airport you will arrive into in NYC and the aircraft type.
Northwest operating a _______ to JFK with stops in SNN and BOS. Just looking for the aircraft type which wasn't a DC-10.

Must have been a 747-100..
10. Well, I'm not completely sure with regard to the B747-100 as Northwest Orient was also operating the B747-200 at this time. The NW timetable lists the equipment as a "747" operating this flight. When rosensfole mentioned a B747-100 with his guess concerning Aer Lingus, I was a bit reticent to respond concerning the specific aircraft type.

Nonetheless, the 747 is correct. Here's the sched.....

NW 35: Glasgow Prestwick (PIK) 1:10p - 2:05p Shannon (SNN) 3:05p - 4:25p Boston (BOS) 6:15p - 7:15p New York (JFK)
Op: PIK-BOS Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays only, BOS-JFK Mondays only
Equip: 747
Note: No local traffic PIK-SNN
Service: Royal Service in F

And one wonders if NW was able to operate profitably on this routing with a 747.....
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon
So here we go.....and as always, please limit your responses to two or three quiz items per day so all may participate. Thanks!

11. At the end of 1983, how many Boeing 727-100 aircraft was United operating in its fleet?
It was a considerable number of aircraft

12. How many Douglas DC-8-61 aircraft had United converted to DC-8-71s by early 1984?
ANSWERED (I think)......

13. Speaking of 1984, you are in Detroit and need to travel to Boston for a late and leisurely business lunch near the airport. Time is not of the essence so you book a seat on a direct flight departing DTW at 9:10 am which arrives in BOS at 12:25 pm. Two stops will be made en route on this service which operates daily except Saturdays and Sundays. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment.
ANSWERED

16. The summer of 1990 finds you in Wilmington, North Carolina with a requirement to travel to Cedar Rapids, Iowa on business. Now there are no nonstop flights, of course....but you have found that one airline can get you there via a quick 45 minute connection although this service only operates four days a week. Your first flight will depart Wilmington at 2:00 pm and make one stop before arriving at your connecting airport at 4:20 pm. Your second flight will depart at 5:05 pm and fly nonstop to Cedar Rapids. Identify the air carrier, the first stop, the connecting city and the equipment which will be the same aircraft type on both flights.
ANSWERED

18. Also in 1991, this airline claimed to have made a "major breakthrough" at Chicago O'Hare Airport concerning the allocation of slots by the FAA at ORD. A new jet type ordered by this airline figured prominently in this "breakthrough". Explain the nature of this "breakthrough" and also identify the airline in question as well as its new jet type.
It wasn't Air Wisconsin and United and United Express were not involved as well. The equipment wasn't a BAe 146-300 or any other Bae 146 or Avro RJ model.

19. In 1998, this airline introduced nonstop service between Boston and Rochester, New York flown with late model mainline jet equipment. Three round trip flights were operated on the weekdays between BOS and ROC. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type.
ANSWERED
Last call for the above! And should there be no takers, I shall provide the answers later this weekend......

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 8, 2018 at 6:58 am Reason: "answered" updates
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Since this is a last call, I will try for three of the remaining questions:

13. Speaking of 1984, you are in Detroit and need to travel to Boston for a late and leisurely business lunch near the airport. Time is not of the essence so you book a seat on a direct flight departing DTW at 9:10 am which arrives in BOS at 12:25 pm. Two stops will be made en route on this service which operates daily except Saturdays and Sundays. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the equipment.
The airline wasn't New York Air, the equipment wasn't a DC-9-30 and the flight did not stop at EWR or LGA.

16. The summer of 1990 finds you in Wilmington, North Carolina with a requirement to travel to Cedar Rapids, Iowa on business. Now there are no nonstop flights, of course....but you have found that one airline can get you there via a quick 45 minute connection although this service only operates four days a week. Your first flight will depart Wilmington at 2:00 pm and make one stop before arriving at your connecting airport at 4:20 pm. Your second flight will depart at 5:05 pm and fly nonstop to Cedar Rapids. Identify the air carrier, the first stop, the connecting city and the equipment which will be the same aircraft type on both flights.
It wasn't American, Braniff or TWA. Nor was it Comair operating as the Delta Connection. The jet aircraft type was smaller than a DC-9-10 but wasn't a Canadair CRJ. The first flight stopped at GSO and the connection was made at CVG.

19. In 1998, this airline introduced nonstop service between Boston and Rochester, New York flown with late model mainline jet equipment. Three round trip flights were operated on the weekdays between BOS and ROC. Name the air carrier and the aircraft type.
The air carrier in question was a start up airline which is no longer in existence
13. OK, I will try another routing: Empire Airlines on a Fokker 28F via Syracuse and Albany.

16. Tagging in, Enterprise Airlines on a Citation II Jet

19. Eastwind Airlines with a 737-200
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:20 am

12. How many Douglas DC-8-61 aircraft had United converted to DC-8-71s by early 1984?
It was less than 29
I've reviewed this in detail and come up with 29.

The United DC-8-61s were registered N8070U to N8099U = 30 airframes.

Deduct
N8075U which was sold prior to conversion
and
N8082U which crashed Dec 1978
= 28

Add
N8177U purchased from Japan Airlines May 1977 and subsequently converted
= 29
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
forgot to take care of this closeout last weekend ...
Monday
SYR - BDL, UR F28
BDL - CLE: AL, BAC 1-11

Tuesday
CLE - DTW: RC, DC9
DTW - TPA: DL, D9S
TPA - PIE: Surface
PIE - EWR: PE, 737

Wednesday
EWR - ORD: UA, 73S
ORD - BNA: RC, D95

Thursday
BNA - STL: TW, D98 (MD-80)
STL - ORD: Surface
ORD - ATL: EA, 757
ATL - PHL: DL, 767

Friday
PHL-BOS: EA, AB3
BOS-LGA: EA, AB3

LGA - ATL: DL, 767
ATL - MCO: EA, 757

Saturday
MCO-FLL: TW, D98 (MD-80)
FLL-MCO: EA, D95
MCO-DAY: PI, 73S

Sunday
DAY-CMH: Surface
CMH - EWR: PE, 737
EWR - DTW: NY, D9S

Monday
DTW - BDL: IW, DC9
BDL - ROC: AL, BAC 1-11
ROC - SYR: UR, F28
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Since this is a last call, I will try for three of the remaining questions:

13. OK, I will try another routing: Empire Airlines on a Fokker 28F via Syracuse and Albany.

16. Tagging in, Enterprise Airlines on a Citation II Jet

19. Eastwind Airlines with a 737-200
13. Empire operating a Fokker F28 Fellowship is correct! Here's the sched....

UR 22: Detroit (DTW) 9:10a - 10:20a Syracuse (SYR) 10:45a - 11:15a Albany (ALB) 11:40a - 12:25p Boston (BOS)
Op: DTW-SYR Daily except Sun., SYR-BOS Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Equip: F28

16. Enterprise operating Cessna Citation business jet equipment in scheduled passenger service is correct! Here are the scheds....

BE 214: Wilmington (ILM) 2:00p - 2:45p Greensboro/High Point (GSO) 3:00p - 4:20p Cincinnati (CVG)
Op: Daily except Fri., Sat. & Sun.
Equip: Cessna Citation

Connecting to.....

BE 132: Cincinnati (CVG) 5:05p - 5:35p Cedar Rapids (CID)
Op: Mon., Tues. & Weds. only
Equip: Cessna Citation

19. Eastwind is correct; however, the equipment wasn't a B737-200, serial production of which I believe ended in 1988. As the timeline here is 1998, we are looking for a later model mainline jet aircraft type.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've reviewed this in detail and come up with 29.

The United DC-8-61s were registered N8070U to N8099U = 30 airframes.

Deduct
N8075U which was sold prior to conversion
and
N8082U which crashed Dec 1978
= 28

Add
N8177U purchased from Japan Airlines May 1977 and subsequently converted
= 29
12. Well, here's what the 1983 United Airlines annual report stated concerning the conversion of DC-8-61 aircraft to DC-8-71s:

"....the useful lives of 17 McDonnell Douglas DC-8-61s were extended by installing new, quieter, more fuel efficient engines to make them DC-8-71s. The last DC-8 conversion was completed in early 1984."

So, perhaps UA did not convert their entire Super DC-8 fleet but only 17 airframes?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
First and foremost, I'd like to issue a hearty CONGRATULATIONS to jlemon on a fine career in the aviation industry with all best wishes toward an exciting and fulfilling retirement. Well done, Buddy! ^^ Here's to a great life down the roads, runways and railways of the world!

So, perhaps UA did not convert their entire Super DC-8 fleet but only 17 airframes?

Oh no, they did 'em all because I flew on all 29 of 'em as -71s. Perhaps just not all of them were converted by early 1984...
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:17 am

12. Well, here's what the 1983 United Airlines annual report stated concerning the conversion of DC-8-61 aircraft to DC-8-71s:

"....the useful lives of 17 McDonnell Douglas DC-8-61s were extended by installing new, quieter, more fuel efficient engines to make them DC-8-71s. The last DC-8 conversion was completed in early 1984."

I was missing a few conversion dates and it appears they were converted after the 1983 annual report was published.
As far as I can see, UA didn't start disposal until the second half of 1989, so as Seat 2A confirms, all 29 were in service for a few years in the 1980s.

Enjoy your retirement; hopefully you'll be able to leave enough spare time for some questions here.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
First and foremost, I'd like to issue a hearty CONGRATULATIONS to jlemon on a fine career in the aviation industry with all best wishes toward an exciting and fulfilling retirement. Well done, Buddy! ^^ Here's to a great life down the roads, runways and railways of the world!
Many thanks, Seat 2A! I have indeed retired at the ripe old age of 65. Yesterday was my last day on the job as a marketing manager with Bristow U.S. LLC, a large Part 135 helicopter operator that also has helicopter operations in Canada, the UK, Norway, Australia, Africa and elsewhere in the world in addition to having a controlling interest in two airlines, Eastern Airways in the UK and Airnorth in Australia. Bristow got its start in the UK when Alan Bristow founded the company. I've worked for several other helicopter operators as well during my career in aviation and also with several commuter airlines (two in California and one in Hawaii) plus a stint with Alaska Airlines. I am looking forward to an upcoming road trip to several U.S. national parks out west as well as flying to California later this summer and then traveling with my lady to Europe not once but twice this fall. At some point I may do some consulting work....but for now I am simply going to take a break and enjoy life!

So let's cue those fireworks again!

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 7, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

19. Eastwind is correct; however, the equipment wasn't a B737-200, serial production of which I believe ended in 1988. As the timeline here is 1998, we are looking for a later model mainline jet aircraft type.
OK then I will go with a later version of the 737, the -700,which they purchased in 1997.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
@jlemon — congrats on your retirement ... safe travels and happy landings
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
OK then I will go with a later version of the 737, the -700,which they purchased in 1997.
Yep, I believe Eastwind (W9) operated a couple of B737-700 aircraft in addition to their B737-200 models. A typical routing operated by Eastwind with the series 700 aircraft in the late summer of 1998 was Rochester (ROC) - Boston (BOS) - Trenton (TTN) - Greensboro/High Point (GSO) with three round trips being operated on the weekdays and less flights on the weekends. Eastwind was also operating Rochester (ROC) - Washington Dulles (IAD) - Greensboro/High Point (GSO) as well as Greensboro/High Point (GSO) - Orlando (MCO) with B737-200 aircraft at this time. GSO was their busiest station in September of 1998 with seven departures every weekday. The airline's days were numbered and it appears the 737-700s were removed from their small fleet with only the 737-200s being operated when Eastwind went out of business.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Enjoy your retirement; hopefully you'll be able to leave enough spare time for some questions here.
Thank you, sir, and please know I have plenty of questions waiting in the wings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.