Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
9. Syrian Air is correct.....however, not with a B727-200 and the stop was not made in Athens.
Tu-134 or Tu-154 via Istanbul...
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Tu-134 or Tu-154 via Istanbul...
9. Nope, it wasn't either Tupolev jet type and the stop was not made in Istanbul. Please guess again!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:00 am

9. Nope, it wasn't either Tupolev jet type and the stop was not made in Istanbul. Please guess again!
Syrian Air Boeing 747SP via Geneva
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4. It's 1963 and you are in Caracas. Your final destination is Miami but you need to stop first in Mexico City for a morning meeting. One airline can get you to both destinations. Your first flight operates on Tuesdays and Saturdays only departing Caracas at 9:00 am and arriving in Mexico City at 2:25 pm with two intermediate stops being made. Your second flight is a nonstop which operates on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only departing MEX at 3:30 pm and arriving into MIA at 5:00 pm. You'll fly on jet equipment on both flights but on board different aircraft types. Name the airline, the two stops on the first flight and the two jet types.

Nope, it wasn't Pan Am and a 707 or 720B were not operated on either flight. However, the second flight was operated with a DC-8 by the airline in question. And I must say you are very much on track judging from your comments. Please guess again, sir!
Well alrighty then - let's go with Aeronaves de Mexico operating an ex-Guest Comet 4 from Caracas to Panama City to Guatemala City to Mexico City followed by the DC-8 across the Gulf of Mexico to Miami
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Syrian Air Boeing 747SP via Geneva
9. Ah, it wasn't a B747SP and the stop was not made in Geneva.....
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well alrighty then - let's go with Aeronaves de Mexico operating an ex-Guest Comet 4 from Caracas to Panama City to Guatemala City to Mexico City followed by the DC-8 across the Gulf of Mexico to Miami
4. Well, you have correctly guessed the equipment on both flights as well as the two stops on the first flight. However, the airline wasn't Aeronaves de Mexico.....but you are very close!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
4. It's 1963 and you are in Caracas. Your final destination is Miami but you need to stop first in Mexico City for a morning meeting. One airline can get you to both destinations. Your first flight operates on Tuesdays and Saturdays only departing Caracas at 9:00 am and arriving in Mexico City at 2:25 pm with two intermediate stops being made. Your second flight is a nonstop which operates on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only departing MEX at 3:30 pm and arriving into MIA at 5:00 pm. You'll fly on jet equipment on both flights but on board different aircraft types. Name the airline, the two stops on the first flight and the two jet types.

let's go with Aeronaves de Mexico operating an ex-Guest Comet 4 from Caracas to Panama City to Guatemala City to Mexico City followed by the DC-8 across the Gulf of Mexico to Miami

4. Well, you have correctly guessed the equipment on both flights as well as the two stops on the first flight. However, the airline wasn't Aeronaves de Mexico.....but you are very close!
Hmm... well, JL, you've really stumped me here. Keying on the Comet, I know that Mexicana is the only other regional operator that comes to mind but so far as I know MX never operated the DC-8 and did not fly into Miami at that time. Guest operated the Comet but so far as I know never operated the DC-8. Maybe they leased one for a short time. Paging WHBM! What the heck, let's go with Guest. operating a leased DC-8 up to Miami and presumably beyond...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Hmm... well, JL, you've really stumped me here. Keying on the Comet, I know that Mexicana is the only other regional operator that comes to mind but so far as I know MX never operated the DC-8 and did not fly into Miami at that time. Guest operated the Comet but so far as I know never operated the DC-8. Maybe they leased one for a short time. Paging WHBM! What the heck, let's go with Guest. operating a leased DC-8 up to Miami and presumably beyond...
I think it is Guest Aerovías México - but - I think Caracas to Mexico City was on the Comet 4C, Mexico-Miami was the DC-8 leg. In fact, here you go...

Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4. Consider this from a timetable cover from the early 1960's....

EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 1963

GUEST AEROVIAS MEXICO

Featuring Super DC-8C Fan Jet

And I see that rosensfole has kindly reproduced the interior of this particular timetable......so you are correct!

I also see I screwed up concerning the Mexico City - Miami schedule and should have stated the flight departed MEX at 10:30 am and arrived into MIA at 2:00 pm.....which would have made for a very early and quick morning meeting in old Ciudad de Mexico.

Guest Aerovias was then merged into Aeronaves de Mexico with a joint timetable being issued by the carriers later in 1963.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 11, 2018 at 1:38 pm Reason: MEX-MIA correction: departure & arrival times & additional info
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Great work, Lads!

Now here's a couple of questions - did Guest ever own and operate its own DC-8? Was there ever a DC-8 painted in the Guest livery as depicted in the schedule?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
10. Air India was operating three different aircraft types on its nonstop service from Bombay (BOM) to Delhi (DEL) at this time. Identify all three.
10- the 747-400 was introduced in early 1989; I’m not sure how early AI got their 744s, but I’ll guess it was one of the three with the others being the 747-200 and the A310
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

10- the 747-400 was introduced in early 1989; I’m not sure how early AI got their 744s, but I’ll guess it was one of the three with the others being the 747-200 and the A310
Airbus A310 - correct!
Boeing 747-200 - correct!
Boeing 747-400 - incorrect!

Just one to go and please guess again!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:19 am

Airbus A310 - correct!
Boeing 747-200 - correct!
Boeing 747-400 - incorrect!

Just one to go and please guess again!
Airbus A300
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airbus A300
Nope! Please guess again, sir!
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:01 am

Nope! Please guess again, sir!
747-300 - they had two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.