Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
6- I **seriously** doubt this is right, but the thought of an Air France 747 to Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) followed by a TWA L-1011 stopping at Washington Dulles (IAD) is **very** entertaining

20- we recently discussed an oddity in this timeframe -- a Southwest 727-200; I think this would be a good candidate for the OAK-ELP routing with stops at Los Angeles (LAX), Las Vegas (LAS), and Tucson (TUS)
6. Entertaining to be sure but the long way around as well. And the first flight was not operated by Air France, the equipment wasn't a 747 and the connection was not made at CDG. As for the second flight, it wasn't operated by TWA, the aircraft wasn't an L-1011 and the stop was not made at IAD. We can safely say the itinerary was wholly within the western hemisphere.

20. Nope, it wasn't Southwest, the equipment wasn't a B727-200 and stops were not made at LAX, LAS or TUS.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
6- FDF-SFO, two stops, two airlines, two different jets ... let's try an Eastern 727 to San Juan (SJU), connecting to a National DC-10 stopping at Miami (MIA)

20- OAK-ELP, not a WN 72S, three stops not being LAX/LAS/TUS ... America West is out since the only feasible routing for them would have involved LAS; PSA didn't serve ELP, so all-Y says a Frontier 737 ... the last two stops would have had to be Denver/DEN and Albuquerque/ABQ, so the first one would have probably been a short hop from OAK ... let's say Reno/RNO
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
6- FDF-SFO, two stops, two airlines, two different jets ... let's try an Eastern 727 to San Juan (SJU), connecting to a National DC-10 stopping at Miami (MIA)

20- OAK-ELP, not a WN 72S, three stops not being LAX/LAS/TUS ... America West is out since the only feasible routing for them would have involved LAS; PSA didn't serve ELP, so all-Y says a Frontier 737 ... the last two stops would have had to be Denver/DEN and Albuquerque/ABQ, so the first one would have probably been a short hop from OAK ... let's say Reno/RNO
6. Eastern connecting to National is correct! Here are the scheds....

EA 972: Fort de France (FDF) 11:08a - 12:15p San Juan (SJU)
Freq: Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: None
Equip: B727-100

Connecting to....

NA 49: San Juan (SJU) 1:45p - 3:55p Miami (MIA) 5:45p - 7:57p San Francisco (SFO)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack SJU-MIA, Dinner MIA-SFO
Equip: DC-10

20. Nope, it wasn't Frontier and stops were not made at Reno or Denver. On the plus side of the column, the aircraft was a B737-200 and the third stop was Albuquerque.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
20- I know we’ve mentioned some Western Airlines flights from ABQ to other cities in Texas, so why not ELP? more to the point, would I be correct in thinking WA had (some) all-coach 737s?

stops: the short hop from OAK might have been to Sacramento (SMF), followed by the Salt Lake City (SLC) hub
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20- I know we’ve mentioned some Western Airlines flights from ABQ to other cities in Texas, so why not ELP? more to the point, would I be correct in thinking WA had (some) all-coach 737s?

stops: the short hop from OAK might have been to Sacramento (SMF), followed by the Salt Lake City (SLC) hub
20. All good here....except the first stop made by this Western Airlines flight was not Sacramento.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20- how about Fresno/FAT as the short hop from OAK
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20- how about Fresno/FAT as the short hop from OAK
20. Yep and here's the sched....

WA 494: Oakland (OAK) 12:30p - 1:13p Fresno (FAT) 1:40p - 4:00p Salt Lake City (SLC) 4:45p - 6:06p Albuquerque (ABQ) 6:35p - 7:23p El Paso (ELP)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack SLC-ABQ
Equip: B737-200

I do not believe Western ever operated its B737-200 aircraft with a first class cabin and that they were always flown in an all-coach configuration. WA did operate the B737-300 with a two class cabin. I remember flying in first on board a Delta B737-300 that was formerly operated by Western (the tail number ended with WA) from Billings down to Salt Lake City on a winter day and looking out of the window down on very snowy scene that included Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks as well as the Jackson Hole Airport.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
11. This airline was marketing new daily direct wide body service at this time between Phoenix and Miami which made the same stop en route in both directions. Name the air carrier, the stop and the wide body equipment.

Hmm... think of widebody operators who served both MIA and PHX... Let's try TWA with an L-1011 via STL

15. Also in 1984, this U.S. based air carrier stated it would have an all Boeing fleet by late 1986. However, in 1986 it took delivery of and placed into service six aircraft which were not manufactured by Boeing but were all the same type. Name this airline and the non-Boeing aircraft type.

It can't have been a major airline, and when I think of MD-80 operators that could've gone all-Boeing Air Cal comes to mind with its predominantly 737 fleet. If so, the non-Boeing type would've been the BAe-146
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
11. This airline was marketing new daily direct wide body service at this time between Phoenix and Miami which made the same stop en route in both directions. Name the air carrier, the stop and the wide body equipment.

Hmm... think of widebody operators who served both MIA and PHX... Let's try TWA with an L-1011 via STL

15. Also in 1984, this U.S. based air carrier stated it would have an all Boeing fleet by late 1986. However, in 1986 it took delivery of and placed into service six aircraft which were not manufactured by Boeing but were all the same type. Name this airline and the non-Boeing aircraft type.

It can't have been a major airline, and when I think of MD-80 operators that could've gone all-Boeing Air Cal comes to mind with its predominantly 737 fleet. If so, the non-Boeing type would've been the BAe-146
11. Ah, it wasn't TWA, the wide body type in question wasn't an L-1011 and the stop wasn't made in St. Louis.

15. Correct! And here are excerpts from the 1984 and 1985 AirCal annual reports....

OC84reportcover

OC85reportcover
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

Please limit your response to two quiz items a day so that all may participate. And as always we are looking for complete and decisive answers here.

3. You've had lovely sailing adventure in the late spring of 1969 and the catamaran is now moored at a marina in Bilbao on the north coast of Spain. During breakfast at the yacht club a message is delivered requesting your presence at a Thursday morning meeting in London....which is tomorrow. You quickly ascertain there is a nonstop afternoon departure operating three days a week from Bilbao to London which meets your schedule.....although the airline agent then tells you that depending on the specific day of the flight one of two different aircraft types are operated on this route with one of them arriving into London 40 minutes before the other one with the departure time for both types being the same from Bilbao. "So which airplane will I be traveling on?" you ask the agent and the response is, "Well, we honestly don't know yet. We're still waiting for the specific equipment to be assigned to the flight. But have no fear, we shall get you to London all the same, sir!" Name the airline you will be flying with, both aircraft types and the London airport you will arrive into.

5. It's 1979 and you've just attended a wonderful wedding in Napa in northern California and now must journey to Fort Lauderdale in order to check out a sailboat that's for sail...er...sale. You've also found an early morning flight departing from the nearest airport to Napa that has mainline jet service with this service operating daily and two stops being made en route. Name the airport you will be departing from, the airline, both stops and the aircraft.

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1980.....

7. The meeting in Los Angeles on a Friday morning has gone extremely well and you have now been awarded a new consulting contract. And then you hear this in the client's boardroom: "We want you to journey to the project site in Jujuy as soon as reasonably possible." Ah.....what? Where? "Jujuy. It's in South America. We're sure you'll be able find it and get there straight away. Good luck and congratulations!" Sure enough you find Jujuy and quickly ascertain that two different airlines and a connection will be required to get there. Your first flight only operates on Saturdays nonstop to your connecting city where you will have two hours and 15 minutes to connect. Your second flight also operates only on Saturdays and makes one stop en route. Name both air carriers and the different equipment they respectively operate on each flight, the connecting airport and the en route stop made by the second flight. The first flight was not operated by JAL, the aircraft type wasn't a 747 and the connection was not made at GRU. The second flight was operated by Aerolineas Argentinas with a 707....but the stop was not made at EZE.

9. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 747 to Paris Charles de Gaulle from London Heathrow at this time, you could do so but only once a week. Name the air carrier. It wasn't Avianca

10. You are in Cardiff in Wales and need to travel to Paris via Charles de Gaulle. You've found a morning flight that operates three days a week which makes one intermediate stop en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

11. In 1981, this airline was marketing new daily direct wide body service at this time between Phoenix and Miami which made the same stop en route in both directions. Name the air carrier, the stop and the wide body equipment. ANSWERED

The next two quiz items both have a time line of 1984.....

13. You are in Boston and are on your way to San Diego on board an interesting daily flight which will make four stops en route. Name the air carrier, all four stops in order and the equipment.

14. This airline was operating seven daily nonstop departures with jet equipment at this time from Stuart, Florida to just one destination. Identify the air carrier and the destination. ANSWERED - although this was most likely commuter air carrier service operated on behalf of Air Florida instead of jet service

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1985.....

16. You've had enjoyable time skiing with some old friends at the Bogus Basin ski resort just north of Boise. Now you're off to New Orleans for a very special birthday dinner with a very special lady friend at Muriel's restaurant on Jackson Square in the French Quarter. Better yet, you've found a daily direct flight from BOI which makes two stops en route. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.

17. From New Orleans you've journeyed to Philadelphia for a business meeting which has gone well. And then you get a call from your New Orleans lady friend: "Hey! I'm in Palm Springs! Why don't you fly out here and I'll buy you dinner!" You want to inquire about the wine list....but you wisely decide not to and then quickly research your flight. Ah, here's a direct two stop flight departing PHL the next morning which will get you into PSP in plenty of time before dinner. Name the airline, both stops and the aircraft.

18. Now you are in New York City and are heading to Denver. You're in no big hurry and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the air carrier, both stops and the equipment. Piedmont operating B727-200 departing from EWR. One of the stops was CLT. Still looking for the missing stop which wasn't made at a city in Virginia.
And we continue to make good progress here......

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 29, 2020 at 10:51 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jun 26, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11. In 1981, this airline was marketing new daily direct wide body service at this time between Phoenix and Miami which made the same stop en route in both directions. Name the air carrier, the stop and the wide body equipment. It wasn't American or TWA, the aircraft wasn't a DC-10 or L-1011 and the stop wasn't DFW or STL
11- that leaves two wide-body types, and of the airlines still remaining in contention I can't recall any that operated a 747 into both cities ... so I'll offer that this was Eastern with an A300 via Atlanta/ATL

(1985) 18. Now you are in New York City and are heading to Denver. You're in no big hurry and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.
18- there are lots of possibilities here ... let's start with a Northwest 727-251 out of LaGuardia/LGA, with stops at Milwaukee/MKE and Minneapolis/MSP
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
11. In 1981, this airline was marketing new daily direct wide body service at this time between Phoenix and Miami which made the same stop en route in both directions. Name the air carrier, the stop and the wide body equipment. It wasn't American or TWA, the aircraft wasn't a DC-10 or L-1011 and the stop wasn't DFW or STL

1981 and the aircraft wasn't a DC-10 or L-1011. I see jrl767 has posited an Eastern A300 and though he may be correct, I can't recall EA ever serving PHX with widebody equipment. AA used to run 747s through there, but by '81 AA's 747s were transcon or Caribbean. Let's stick with the 747 though and go with Northwest through MSP. If so, this would've been a winter schedule.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11- that leaves two wide-body types, and of the airlines still remaining in contention I can't recall any that operated a 747 into both cities ... so I'll offer that this was Eastern with an A300 via Atlanta/ATL

18- there are lots of possibilities here ... let's start with a Northwest 727-251 out of LaGuardia/LGA, with stops at Milwaukee/MKE and Minneapolis/MSP
11. Correct! And Eastern was also operating Airbus A300 service into Tucson (TUS) at this time with a round trip routing of ATL-PHX-TUS. Eastern may have been the only airline ever to operate scheduled passenger A300 service into both Phoenix and Tucson.

Eastern Air Lines May 1, 1981 Route Map

18. Nope, it wasn't Northwest, the flight did not depart from New York LaGuardia and stops were not made at Milwaukee or Minneapolis/St. Paul....but the aircraft was a B727-200.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

1981 and the aircraft wasn't a DC-10 or L-1011. I see jrl767 has posited an Eastern A300 and though he may be correct, I can't recall EA ever serving PHX with widebody equipment. AA used to run 747s through there, but by '81 AA's 747s were transcon or Caribbean. Let's stick with the 747 though and go with Northwest through MSP. If so, this would've been a winter schedule.
Please see my above post!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(1985) 18. Now you are in New York City and are heading to Denver. You're in no big hurry and have found a daily flight which makes two stops en route. You book a seat in first class. Identify the airport you will depart from in the New York City area, the air carrier, both stops and the equipment.
18- I am *totally* not surprised that it's a 72S ... not NW and not originating LGA still leaves more than a few candidates, though ... if we decide that "no big hurry" also implies a less-than-direct routing, we could be looking at something like Delta, operating from Newark/EWR via Cincinnati/CVG and Dallas/DFW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.