Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
5A: BEY-ATH-BRU, Sabena, Boeing 737
5B: BRU-JFK.... see below
5C: JFK-BDL, Pan Am, Boeing 727-200

But purely from memory, I do not recall 2 other US carriers that flew from Brussels.

By the question, Pan Am is wrong because the question says it's a different airline (PA is 5C).
TWA flew BRU-JFK using Lockheed L1011 Tristars. Occasionally, it flew BRU-AMS-JFK, some of those times with a 747SP. Occasionally, it flew BRU-LHR-JFK. Other times in the early and mid-80's, it was non-stop BRU-JFK. But TWA was deemed an incorrect answer.
Sabena flew, but it was answered in 5A.
People Express flew to BRU but not from JFK. PE is wrong.
Tower flew for a very short time but FF is wrong.

American and United didn't fly to BRU in 1983.

5B: BRU-JFK, Metro Airlines, Boeing 747
5B: BRU-JFK, I'm going to repeat TWA as an answer, Lockheed L1011 Tristar
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
5B: BRU-JFK, Metro Airlines, Boeing 747
5B: BRU-JFK, I'm going to repeat TWA as an answer, Lockheed L1011 Tristar
halfway there ^
5B- FT correct, 747 correct; TW incorrect, L10 incorrect

BONUS QUESTION — what is the history of the Metro Airlines designator?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Misread the question more than a few times. Let's try:

7A Egpytair CAI AB3
7B Swissair ZRH A31
7C SwissAir JFK 747
7D UA ORD DC8
again, this is for the original route, not the as-flown

7A- MS incorrect, CAI incorrect, AB3 incorrect
7B- SR incorrect, ZRH incorrect, AB3 incorrect
7C- SR incorrect, 747 correct
7D- UA incorrect, DC8 incorrect

HINT:
  • one of the other legs featured a four-engine je

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 5, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Recap

5- Hartford beckons next. You’ll need to be there no later than Tuesday morning, but the company won’t spring for the Concorde from Heathrow to JFK on Monday (which would allow you a civilized departure from BEY around noon). Virtually all the schedules out of Beirut force you to overnight in Europe on Sunday, which is an equally unpleasant option. After some digging, though, you find a way to make it work without either an extra hotel stay or a redeye departure: three flights (the first with an unpublished technical stop), three airlines, three different aircraft types. There are actually two options for the second leg, each on a different carrier and each with a different jet; while you recognize the name of one of the airlines, you’ve never heard of the other, but a little investigation reveals the interesting lineage behind its familiar two-letter designator.

5A - Beirut - Athens Elliniko - Brussels, Sabena, Boeing 737-200
5B - Brussels - JFK, Metro, Boeing 747
5C - JFK- Hartford, Pan Am, Boeing 727-200

and the new answer
alternate 5B - American Airlines codeshare operated by Sabena, McDonnell Douglas DC-10 (actually not that often, more the 747)
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... you’ve never heard of the other, but a little investigation reveals the interesting lineage behind its familiar two-letter designator.

and the new answer
alternate 5B - American Airlines codeshare operated by Sabena, McDonnell Douglas DC-10 (actually not that often, more the 747)
5B: AA/SN incorrect, D10 incorrect

HINT: it’s a narrow-body jet
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
7A Iran Air AUH-THR 707
7B Iran Air THR-AM 74L
7C KL AMS-JFK 747
7D TW JFK-STL-ABQ M80
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7A Iran Air AUH-THR 707
7B Iran Air THR-AM 74L
7C KL AMS-JFK 747
7D TW JFK-STL-ABQ M80
I have retracted the previous hint about the distance of Leg 7A

7A: EP incorrect, THR incorrect, 707 correct
7B: EP incorrect, AMS incorrect, 74L incorrect
7C: KL incorrect
7D: TW correct, STL correct, M80 incorrect
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:39 pm
Suspended

This is going to be so hard, soon I'll be guessing Il-62M!

Alternate 5B - BRU-JFK, Capitol, McDonnell Douglas DC-8-63
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no need

5B- CL correct, D8S correct
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Recap

5- Hartford beckons next. You’ll need to be there no later than Tuesday morning, but the company won’t spring for the Concorde from Heathrow to JFK on Monday (which would allow you a civilized departure from BEY around noon). Virtually all the schedules out of Beirut force you to overnight in Europe on Sunday, which is an equally unpleasant option. After some digging, though, you find a way to make it work without either an extra hotel stay or a redeye departure: three flights (the first with an unpublished technical stop), three airlines, three different aircraft types. There are actually two options for the second leg, each on a different carrier and each with a different jet; while you recognize the name of one of the airlines, you’ve never heard of the other, but a little investigation reveals the interesting lineage behind its familiar two-letter designator.

and the new answer

Originally Posted by jrl767
no need

5B- CL correct, D8S correct
If it were me and it was 1983, I would do this...

5A - BEY-ATH-BRU, SN, 73S
5B - not fly Capitol or Metro but stay overnight in Brussels and then take TWA. If I remember correctly, the flight departed in the late morning, around 11 am, almost certainly before the Beirut flight arrived.

In 1983, I believe that TWA was flying BRU-LHR-JFK a lot, which probably meant an even earlier departure than 11 am. Later TWA flew BRU-AMS-JFK. BRU-JFK daily nonstops did not begin until around 1987. None of this info is confirmed, just from either memory or distorted memory.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So here we are, with only a few legs remaining! We know that a 747SP appeared on two of the legs, and a turboprop appeared on one.

6- A week later you’re returning to the Middle East, albeit to a rather different locale – Abu Dhabi. Your business obligations will begin with late-morning coffee on Thursday, which dictates a Tuesday departure from BDL. While you could certainly route via Heathrow, you much prefer a longer transatlantic leg, so you book a four-flight sequence (the third with an intermediate stop) involving three airlines and four very different (and rather uncommon) aircraft types. The third flight is also dual-marketed.

6A- BDL – XXX
6B- XXX – YYY
6C- YYY – ZZZ, stop at AAA
6D- ZZZ – AUH

7- The Abu Dhabi project looks like it will wrap up in a week, so you advise the home office that you will be departing late Friday night or early Saturday and taking the following week to vacation in Taos. For some obscure reason, the direct flights to both Charles de Gaulle and Heathrow and Paris (Gulf Air at 2330 and British at 0015, respectively) have no availability between AUH and Doha; the 0055 Sabena flight to Brussels and and the Singapore Airlines departure at 0320 to Athens (and thence Amsterdam) are also completely sold out. Aha! There’s another option with a connection that brings you to a secondary European hub, but the prospect of a forced Saturday overnight in the event of thunderstorms at your US arrival point is enough to make you re-think how to reach Albuquerque. Happily, you find something else that looks almost ideal; best of all, it leaves (and arrives) close to four hours earlier, and the first redeye leg is a nice long one. Both itineraries involve four flights, three different airlines, and three different aircraft types. Bonus points for the route you opted out of taking (HINT: it’s similar to what you flew on the way to AUH, and the flight from your US arrival point to ABQ makes a stop en route).

AS-FLOWN
7A- AUH – XXX 747
7B- XXX – YYY 747SP
7C- YYY – ZZZ
7D- ZZZ – ABQ

** HINT **
7B, 7C -- "YYY" was not JFK

ORIGINAL CANDIDATE ROUTING
7A- AUH – BUH TAROM, 707
7B- BUH – YYY TAROM, BAC One-Eleven HINT: "YYY" is a secondary European hub airport

7C- YYY – JFK, 747
7D- JFK – STL – ABQ, TWA; equipment was not an MD-80 or a 727

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 12, 2019 at 5:59 pm Reason: more clarity on what is known (blue)
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Let's try something bizarre

7A Iraq Air BGW
7B Lufthansa BGW-MUC A310
7C LH MUC-JFK
7D

7C LH MUC-IAH D10
7D CO 727
Old Dec 6, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's try something bizarre

7A Iraq Air BGW
7B Lufthansa BGW-MUC A310
7C LH MUC-JFK
7D

7C LH MUC-IAH D10
7D CO 727

7A- IA incorrect, BGW (presumably Baghdad, although the actual airport code was SDA for Saddam Intl) incorrect
7B- LH incorrect, MUC incorrect, 310 incorrect

I'm not sure what to make of your guesses for 7C and 7D on the original itinerary, since we are only missing the TWA equipment that operated JFK-STL-ABQ (and we have eliminated the MD-80)

that said, if you're positing them for the as-flown itinerary:
7C- LH incorrect, MUC incorrect, IAH incorrect, D10 incorrect
7D- CO incorrect, 727 incorrect
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Glad to see things are seeping along here. I apologize for my extended absence but I've been dealing with pre-op and post-op stuff related to back surgery two days ago. It's probably not good for me in terms of posture to spend much time on the computer at present, so I'll wish you all well and check back in as conditions improve. Additionally, when the time comes I'm ready with a set of 30 new questions for the OTAQ&D. Cheers!
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well now, I was wondering what had become of you ... hope your recovery proceeds smoothly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.