Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
5) Also in April of 1968, Bonanza Air Lines operated DC-9-10 series aircraft into ten (10) different destinations. Name all ten.
I see 11:

LAS
LAX
PHX
RNO
SAN
SLC
SNA
TUS
LAP
MZT
PVR
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:24 pm

4) Besides Seattle, West Coast Airlines served nine (9) other destinations with DC-9-10 series jet equipment in April of 1968. Identify all nine cities.
I'm coming up with 10 besides BFI:

ALW
BOI
EUG
GEG
MFR
PDX
PSC
SFO
SLC
YKM
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:54 pm

18) It's December of 1971 and you are in Chicago. You want to travel to Los Angeles and you would prefer to fly first class on a wide body aircraft. However, being an airline enthusiast, you enjoy landings and takeoffs en route. Lo and behold, you discover a direct flight utilizing a wide body jet that makes two stops between ORD and LAX. What airline and aircraft type will you be flying on and where will you be stopping en route?
I don't believe this was possible. On Saturdays, beginning 12/4/71, the 747 operating flight CO23 only went as far as DEN on the routing of ORD-DEN-ONT-LAX. There was a change of gauge at DEN.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
I see 11:

LAS
LAX
PHX
RNO
SAN
SLC
SNA
TUS
LAP
MZT
PVR
And you are correct, sir! My apologies....I had forgotten about La Paz, Mexico (LAP) on the PHX-TUS-LAP-MZT-PVR route.

BTW, Guaymas, Mexico (GYM) was also authorized as a stop on the above routing; however, Bonanza was not serving GYM per their April 28, 1968 timetable for whatever reason.....

Runway construction? Cows on the runway? Tower personnel drunk on tequila? The real reason has apparently become lost in the murky recesses of time.....
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I'm coming up with 10 besides BFI:

ALW
BOI
EUG
GEG
MFR
PDX
PSC
SFO
SLC
YKM
And you are correct once again!

This time, I had forgotten about Walla Walla, WA (ALW) which was only served once a day with a DC-9 on a GEG-ALW-PSC-YKM-PDX-EUG-MFR-SFO routing per the April 28, 1968 West Coast system timetable. This flight originated very early in the morning from GEG.

In other words, when the DC-9 headed back to GEG for the night, it did not stop at ALW en route from PSC to GEG......

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe this was possible. On Saturdays, beginning 12/4/71, the 747 operating flight CO23 only went as far as DEN on the routing of ORD-DEN-ONT-LAX. There was a change of gauge at DEN.
Ah, but it was not Continental.....it was another airline.

And remember: "wide body aircraft" also referred to DC-10 and L-1011 equipment at the time.....so there's a hint for you.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:51 pm

And remember: "wide body aircraft" also referred to DC-10 and L-1011 equipment at the time.....so there's a hint for you.
Yesssss, I was banging my head on that one, for two reasons:

1) The L-1011 didn't start flying until 1972, so that eliminated a few contenders such as TWA, and

2) 1971 was still the era of regulated skies, so if it wasn't CO23, it would have to have been a DC-10 on either UA or AA on an old milk run, most likely in simple terms, or a crazy routing on another very early DC-10 operator.

I saw CO23 listed as a 747 with two stops on a Saturday beginning in Dec/71, with the note that the flight number was bolded even if only one segment of the flight was on a jumbo, so without looking at the entire route, it appears at first glance that it was a 747 the entire way through.

N.B. The Bonanza seemed like the trickiest of them all, since Mexican service in April/68 only operated southbound! But now you have me head-scratching on a milk run taken over by a DC-10. I believe NW is out of the running, since their midwest-originating westbound widebodies flew many stops, hop-skipping-and-jumping through Montana, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesssss, I was banging my head on that one, for two reasons:

1) The L-1011 didn't start flying until 1972, so that eliminated a few contenders such as TWA, and

2) 1971 was still the era of regulated skies, so if it wasn't CO23, it would have to have been a DC-10 on either UA or AA on an old milk run, most likely in simple terms, or a crazy routing on another very early DC-10 operator.

I saw CO23 listed as a 747 with two stops on a Saturday beginning in Dec/71, with the note that the flight number was bolded even if only one segment of the flight was on a jumbo, so without looking at the entire route, it appears at first glance that it was a 747 the entire way through.

N.B. The Bonanza seemed like the trickiest of them all, since Mexican service in April/68 only operated southbound! But now you have me head-scratching on a milk run taken over by a DC-10. I believe NW is out of the running, since their midwest-originating westbound widebodies flew many stops, hop-skipping-and-jumping through Montana, etc.
Good catch on the operational date concerning the L-1011!

So we can now say that it was a DC-10 flight.....and it was roundtrip as well.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
it would have to have been a DC-10 on either UA or AA on an old milk run, most likely in simple terms, or a crazy routing on another very early DC-10 operator.
I'm thinking United or American. AA might be a possibility with a routing like ORD-PHX-PSP-LAX, or UA with a ORD-DEN-LAS-LAX routing, though I don't recall UA ever running it's -10s on the LAS-LAX run. Omaha seems a possibility but I don't think UA brought the -10 to OMA until later. I guess for now I'll go with that first AA routing via PHX and PSP.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:16 pm

Those are all good possibilities. I dismissed the LAS stop as well on UA. I was also thinking ORD-DEN-SFO-LAX as a possibility, since UA often ran widebodies on the SFO-LAX run, but I'm not sure if it was that early into their service or not.

ETA: AA used to run ORD-DFW-LAX through service on a DC-10, but I don't see many possibilities for another stop other than inserting PHX, PSP or the likes into the equation.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA
Just to help you all along, total DC-10 deliveries by 31 Dec 71 were :

American - 5 *
United - 5
National - 3

* This includes an AA one which was parked at a gate at SFO in August 1971 when I took that evening trip on the Western 720B I referred to above. They may not have actually entered service by then. In any event, it was the first DC-10 I ever saw.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
Just to help you all along
Now if you just had a Dec/71 OAG handy ...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:52 pm

6) With regard to the original Frontier Airlines (FL), what did Farmington, NM (FMN), Grand Island, NE (GRI), Laramie, WY (LAR), Manhattan, KS (MHK) and Redding, CA (RDD) all have in common during the 1980's specifically concerning their FL service?
Huge guess—they were either:

1) EAS routes, or
2) All discontinued during the 80s

12) In June of 1969, Northeast Airlines was operating DC-9-30 jet service from Cleveland (CLE) nonstop to Chicago Midway (MDW) and Burlington, VT (BTV) with direct one stop service to Bangor, ME (BGR). These were the only three cities served by NE with nonstop or direct flights at this time where a connection was not required. What was unique about Northeast's Cleveland service at this time?
The only city Northeast served on Sat/Sun only, is what I'm finding unique about CLE.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Just to help you all along, total DC-10 deliveries by 31 Dec 71 were :

American - 5 *
United - 5
National - 3

* This includes an AA one which was parked at a gate at SFO in August 1971 when I took that evening trip on the Western 720B I referred to above. They may not have actually entered service by then. In any event, it was the first DC-10 I ever saw.
My first sighting of a DC-10 was at ORD back in 1971. AA was the operator and I was struck by the fact that the upper and lower red anticollision lights on the fuselage were strobes instead of the usual rotating beacons.....
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm thinking United or American. AA might be a possibility with a routing like ORD-PHX-PSP-LAX, or UA with a ORD-DEN-LAS-LAX routing, though I don't recall UA ever running it's -10s on the LAS-LAX run. Omaha seems a possibility but I don't think UA brought the -10 to OMA until later. I guess for now I'll go with that first AA routing via PHX and PSP.
Well, there's been a bit of change with regard to the time line for this flight.....and hopefully this will be helpful to all concerned.

I tend to scribble my questions at times when I am formulating them and sometimes the results are not quite legible......call it the curse of an airline old timer!

Anyway, the actual month and year with regard to the question is December of 1974........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.