Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
45 sounds more like EgyptAir to me.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
40. (1986) In your mind, Lockheed’s L-1011 is the world’s most beautiful airliner. So, when the opportunity arises to fly not one but two TriStars on your trip between Tunis, Tunisia and Bombay, India next week, you are positively ecstatic! To wit, your trip will involve two nonstop L-1011 flights aboard two different airlines. Identify the two airlines and the connection airport.

TUN-BOM on L-1011s ~ TUN-LHR BA, then LHR-BOM Air Canada

Sounds reasonable, but alas, no BA L10s from TUN to LHR. In fact, we're looking for a different routing and two different airlines. Here's wishing you better luck on your next guess!

45. (1986) As of the spring of 1986, this African airline had a route system stretching as far west as New York and as far east as Tokyo. Which airline are we talking about here?

Africa airline that goes as far east as TYO and west as NYC. Can only imagine it has to be SAA.

If I didn't know better via the schedules in front of me - SAAs who I'd've gone with too.
But NO! It was a different airline!
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by joejones
45. (1986) As of the spring of 1986, this African airline had a route system stretching as far west as New York and as far east as Tokyo. Which airline are we talking about here?

Sounds more like EgyptAir to me.

Good call, Joe! Egyptair is correct!
I wonder who else might qualify today? Possibly Ethiopian...
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

26. DC9-10 and 737-100 simultaneously, US based airlines

Air Cal

Continental
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I wonder who else might qualify today? Possibly Ethiopian...
Ethiopian and SAA, probably
Kenya, maybe
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: BA
30. (1986) If it’s Boeing, you ain’t going! Fortunately for your upcoming trip from Gold Coast to Perth, a convenient non-Boeing alternative exists. It involves a nonstop flight to the connection airport, followed by a one-stop flight all the way to the other side of the country in Perth. The same type of aircraft will be used on both flights. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the route including the intermediate stop between the connection city and Perth
I think TAA (alias Australian) still had their DC-9-30s in 1986, while Ansett had changed theirs over for 737s. Possibly ran Gold Coast to Melbourne, and then on Melbourne-Adelaide-Perth.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 11:08 pm

35. (1986) You need to fly from Leningrad to Seattle next week. Thankfully, you’ve found a great itinerary involving two nonstop flights with a single connection. Best of all, you’ll be on the same airline all the way through. Identify the airline, the routing and the two different aircraft types involved.
Didn't Aeroflot fly to SEA for a while using IL-62s across the Pacific? I'm unsure where exactly the connection point was, but it was certainly in far eastern Russia. I'll guess VVO. As for the equipment on the first leg... I have no idea, but I'll start the guessing with an IL-96-300 (may be a bit early for that one).
Old Nov 4, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by moondog
Ethiopian and SAA, probably
Kenya, maybe
I could be wrong but I think Egyptair and Ethiopian are the only two African airlines to ever serve Tokyo. SAA flew to KIX at one point in the 90s, but I believe they never made it to HND or NRT.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

32. (1975) With regard to flights published in the North American version of the OAG per the spring of 1975, there is only a single 747 shown to be serving Philadelphia International Airport. Identify that airline and from where it flies its 747 into Philadelphia.

46. (1978)Aside from dozens of Southwest Airlines 737s, only one other jet type can be spotted operating scheduled flights out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. Identify that jet, as well as the airline that operates it and its single destination flown to twice daily from HOU.
Many thanks to Seat 2A for an excellent batch of new OTAQ&D questions!

32. I am going to guess this was Pan Am and the flight in question flew nonstop to PHL from JFK. If so, I think this would have been an extension of a transatlantic Pan Am service....which would then possibly mean that PA may have not been able to carry local traffic between JFK and PHL. But who knows....maybe they were permitted to do so.

46. Two air carriers come to mind and I remember seeing both of them at Hobby back in the late 1970's with both operating the same aircraft type. So let's flip the ol' OTAQ&D coin here and go with Ozark operating a pair of nonstops to their St. Louis hub.....and if it is indeed OZ, the aircraft type was the DC-9-30.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by joejones
I could be wrong but I think Egyptair and Ethiopian are the only two African airlines to ever serve Tokyo. SAA flew to KIX at one point in the 90s, but I believe they never made it to HND or NRT.
I guessed SAA because I'm pretty sure they at least fly to HK, and I think their reach into the US is deeper than just JFK (e.g Chicago, Texas).
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
32. (1975) With regard to flights published in the North American version of the OAG per the spring of 1975, there is only a single 747 shown to be serving Philadelphia International Airport. Identify that airline and from where it flies its 747 into Philadelphia.
32- jlemon has provided a very reasonable guess but I am leaning toward something a bit more out there … Lufthansa from Boston/BOS

49. (1978)Ah… what a treat to be able to get out of Alaska in the dead of winter and head for the sunshine and golf courses of Orlando, Florida. Better yet, you’ll be traveling via three nonstop flights, each operated by a different airline. As an added bonus, each flight will be operated by a different type of American built widebody aircraft. Identify the three airlines, the routing including the two connection airports and the three aircraft types.
49- l’m of the opinion that either Eastern or Delta operating a TriStar from Atlanta is not a part of this answer … I’m also of the opinion that the itinerary starts in Anchorage/ANC even though that isn’t explicitly mentioned

so that said, I’ll offer Northwest with a DC-10 from ANC to Seattle/SEA, a Continental 747 from SEA to Los Angeles/LAX, and a Delta L-1011 from LAX to MCO
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
32- jlemon has provided a very reasonable guess but I am leaning toward something a bit more out there … Lufthansa from Boston/BOS
That rings a bell with me. I had an internship in LH's Boston office during high school, and I vaguely recall the MD telling me that their flight continued on to PHL before my time (but, not his).
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
26. (No Specific Year) Name two U.S. airlines that each operated the DC-9-10 and the 737-100 variants at the same time.

DC9-10 and 737-100 simultaneously, US based airlines ~ Air Cal and Continental

Continental is correct! as it operated its 737-130s inherited from People Express and DC-9-10s from Texas International during the late 1980s. As to Air California, while it did operate both types, there was about a 10 year gap between the DC-9-10 operations (March 1968 to April 1969) and the 737-159 (ex-Avianca birds) operations (September 1977 to July 1987)

So - you're halfway there . What's the other airline?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
30. (1986) If it’s Boeing, you ain’t going! Fortunately for your upcoming trip from Gold Coast to Perth, a convenient non-Boeing alternative exists. It involves a nonstop flight to the connection airport, followed by a one-stop flight all the way to the other side of the country in Perth. The same type of aircraft will be used on both flights. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the route including the intermediate stop between the connection city and Perth

I think TAA (alias Australian) still had their DC-9-30s in 1986, while Ansett had changed theirs over for 737s. Possibly ran Gold Coast to Melbourne, and then on Melbourne-Adelaide-Perth.

Per the 1986 schedules I referenced, TAA was running 727-200s across the continent into Perth at the time. While it did operate a single DC-9-30 into Perth, it did not come from any of the Big Four (BNE, SYD, MEL or ADL) Nor did it come in from ASP. Any thoughts on where it came into Perth from?

Additionally, we're still looking for the airline and aircraft that'll answer this question.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

I am going to guess this was Pan Am and the flight in question flew nonstop to PHL from JFK. If so, I think this would have been an extension of a transatlantic Pan Am service....which would then possibly mean that PA may have not been able to carry local traffic between JFK and PHL. But who knows....maybe they were permitted to do so.

Pan Am is correct!. However, per the NA version of the OAG, the flight was inbound and outbound to/from a different airport and was available for revenue sales (i.e. no CONDITIONAL STOPOVER TRAFFIC ONLY provision). For a wily old OTAQ&D veteran such as yourself, the answer should now be significantly more obvious.

46. (1978) Aside from dozens of Southwest Airlines 737s, only one other jet type can be spotted operating scheduled flights out of Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport. Identify that jet, as well as the airline that operates it and its single destination flown to twice daily from HOU.

Two air carriers come to mind and I remember seeing both of them at Hobby back in the late 1970's with both operating the same aircraft type. So let's flip the ol' OTAQ&D coin here and go with Ozark operating a pair of nonstops to their St. Louis hub.....and if it is indeed OZ, the aircraft type was the DC-9-30.

Ozark is an excellent guess and yet, surprisingly, it was not operating its DC9-30s or -10s into HOU per the schedules I referenced. How about that other DC-9-30 operator you were thinking of?

Many thanks to Seat 2A for an excellent batch of new OTAQ&D questions!

Thank you for the appreciation, JL Given the amount of time and effort that go into researching, formatting and responding to these questions, it's nice to know that they're not always taken for granted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.