Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
UA's first 767 delivery was in Aug 1982, several months before AA's and DL's. UA began 767 service on ORD-DEN in Sep 1982, two months before AA began SFO-JFK 767 service and three months before DL began ATL-TPA service.
some info about the earliest 767-200s:

N767BA, the first jet off the line remained in Boeing colors, and eventually served as the platform for the Airborne Optical Adjunct (AOA) / Airborne Surveillance Testbed (AST), both programs being run by the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command

the next three, all in United colors and with a three-crew flight deck configuration, made up the Pratt & Whitney flight test fleet (N601UA, N602UA, N603UA)

the first Delta jet (N101DA, Line Number 6, also three-crew) was a the first GE-powered bird (it’s still active in cargo service with ABX Air, N740AX)

from what I remember, L/N 5 (N604UA, three-crew) made a brief appearance in the flight test program and was the first to enter the flight deck conversion line; L/N 7 (N605UA) was the first built with a two-crew flight deck

the first AA jet was L/N 8

L/N 9 (N606UA) flew the inaugural revenue flight; L/N 10 (N607UA) flew the First-of-Model certification test flight on 11 Aug 1982 (I was Test Director) … I think these two were ceremonially delivered together

L/N 12, “Spirit of Delta” N102DA, flew the First-of-Model for the GE-powered variant (17 Sep 1982; I was also in the TD seat) and is now on display at the Delta Flight Museum in Atlanta
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
I'll concur with UA operating the first revenue 767-200 service with their aircraft equipped with P&W engines.
I was on that flight. Back then in the days before internet, getting on an inaugural was as easy as calling our UA Sales rep. Same thing with the first domestic Concorde flight. I read about it in the paper, called Braniff and I was booked. It was just that simple.

Currently posting from aboard another flight.

Can anyone guess which one based upon the pictured evidence?

We've got a nice tailwind so we are rippin' along with considerable alacrity! Seven hours since departing Newark and we're already past Vienna. Only 11 more hours to go.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 25, 2022 at 3:33 pm
Old Nov 26, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Currently posting from aboard another flight.

Can anyone guess which one based upon the pictured evidence?

We've got a nice tailwind so we are rippin' along with considerable alacrity! Seven hours since departing Newark and we're already past Vienna. Only 11 more hours to go.

Well, I think the obvious guess would be Singapore Airlines. As for the aircraft, we flew into and out of Newark earlier this year and I do recall seeing an SQ A350.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
1983, Rio

Departing for Miami on a Friday night initially sounds routine, but to your surprise, both nonstops — Varig’s DC-10 and Pan Am’s 747 — are sold out.

Well, you’re always looking for more interesting options than a three-stop direct flight, and you find four alternative ways to get to MIA. Three of them utilize a 630pm departure on a one-stop flight to a connecting airport.

A- a one-hour interline connection to a nonstop flight, arriving at 615am. Each jet has a different number of engines.

B- a 1+10 online connection to a one-stop flight (same equipment type), arriving at 740am

C- a 1+50 online connection to a one-stop flight via a different city (also the same equipment type), arriving at 845am.

D- This option is a 5pm departure on a nonstop flight, with a one-hour connection to a two-stop flight arriving a 605am. Both airlines and equipment types are different from the prior three options.

Please identify all the usual information for each itinerary (airline, equipment, intermediate stop/s, and connecting points). Bonus points for the relevant info about the direct flight.

E- You decide instead to spend Saturday in Rio, and find an itinerary that allows you to travel mostly in the daytime on Sunday rather than taking a redeye. It involves nonstop flights on three airlines and two aircraft types. The details, please.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well, I think the obvious guess would be Singapore Airlines. As for the aircraft, we flew into and out of Newark earlier this year and I do recall seeing an SQ A350.
That's the one, JL A 4 year old A350-941ULR - Ultra Long Range. According to the Sky Map as we were descending into SIN, the total distance flown was 17,295km - or 10,740 miles.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f.../sq21#2e54f7c9
Old Nov 27, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

60 years ago — 27 Nov 1962

rollout of E001, the first of 1832 727s

following several years of restoration at Paine Field in Everett, N7001U currently resides at the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, Seattle

I flew LAX-MDW aboard this jet in Apr 1986
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Following several years of restoration at Paine Field in Everett, N7001U currently resides at the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, Seattle

I flew LAX-MDW aboard this jet in Apr 1986
I too logged a couple of flights aboard this jet, the first in September of 1979. On my second go round in 1985, I remember asking the crew why they didn't alert the passengers to the historical significance of the aircraft. The response was concern over passenger worries about aging aircraft. Heck - the airplane was only 21 then. In 2002 I flew aboard a 37 year old ex-EA DC-9-10 with Northwest. Indeed, Northwest was like a working rest home for elderly aircraft I loved flying those old DC-9-10/30/40/50s

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 1, 2022 at 6:52 pm
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
That's the one, JL A 4 year old A350-941ULR - Ultra Long Range. According to the Sky Map as we were descending into SIN, the total distance flown was 17,295km - or 10,740 miles.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f.../sq21#2e54f7c9
Sounds like you have embarked on yet another epic journey. And I'm looking forward to your trip report once you're back home in little ol' East Ester.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good Friday Afternoon All!

It's been rather quiet here on the OTAQ&D as of late. So I thought I would offer a "six pack" of new quiz questions. And here we go...

Please limit your response to no more than two quiz questions per day so that all may participate. Please also limit your guesses to three attempts per day per quiz question. I believe this will avoid a "shot gun" approach concerning guesses. So if you have not correctly guessed the complete answer for a specific quiz question after three attempts in any given day, you can then try again the next day. And as always, please try to be as specific as possible when guessing aircraft types. Thanks!

The first five quiz questions all have a time line of 1981......

1. You are at your home in Newport Beach in southern California and it's time for a business trip that will take you to three cities in North America. First stop: Atlanta. Now you could take a nonstop out of LAX to ATL. However, you would very much prefer to fly out of Orange County John Wayne Airport as this very convenient airfield is located less than 20 minutes by car from your home. There are no nonstop flights from SNA to ATL.....but there is a direct flight that makes four stops en route. Ah, a milk run flight! Perfect! Identify the airline, all four stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment. ANSWERED - It was Frontier operating a 73S SNA-LAS-DEN-ICT-FSM-ATL

2. Your meeting in Atlanta went very well. And now it's time to fly to your second stop: Vancouver, BC. There is no nonstop service from ATL to YVR....but there is a direct two stop flight. Name the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED - It was Frontier operating a 73S ATL-DEN-GEG-YVR

3. Another great meeting! So you're now off to your third and final stop: Tucson. And nope, there's no nonstop service from YVR to TUS....but there is a direct three stop flight. Identify the airline, the three stops and the equipment. ANSWERED - It was Frontier operating a 73S YVR-GEG-DEN-PHX-TUS

4. Your third meeting has also gone well. So now it's time to fly home arriving into Orange County John Wayne Airport on the one and only daily nonstop flight from Tucson. Name the air carrier and the aircraft. ANSWERED - It was Republic operating a D9S

5. Your back on the road on business in Columbia, South Carolina where you've just completed a project assignment. Old friends in Sonoma County in northern California have just called wanting to know if you would be interested in joining them at their new second home located on the shores of Lake Tahoe near Emerald Bay. And, oh by the way, the snow conditions on the slopes at the Heavenly ski resort are currently darn near perfect! So you're now on your way to the Lake Tahoe Airport (TVL) via flights on two different airlines operating different aircraft types. Your first flight will make two stops en route to your connecting airport and your second flight will be nonstop. Identify both airlines, both stops made by the first flight, the airport where the connection will be made and the different equipment operated on each flight. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - The first flight was operated by Eastern CAE-ATL-LAS-RNO....but not with a 72S. The second flight from RNO to TVL was operated with a DHC-7 Dash 7....but not by Golden West or Wings West.

6. Now it's 1988 and you have been visiting with good friends in Montauk on the eastern tip of Long Island in New York. Your old sailing buddy has just arrived in Key West on board his 60 foot catamaran and is preparing to sail around the western tip of Cuba to Cayman Brac in the Cayman Islands. And he wants to know if you would like to join him and his lady friends on this sailing excursion. Well, why the heck not! You will depart from the nearest commercially served airport which, of course, is Long Island MacArthur with a connection being required for your trip to Key West. Your first flight will make one stop en route and your second flight will be nonstop. The same airline operating the same aircraft type will operate both flights. Identify the air carrier, the stop made by the first flight, the airport where the connection will be made and the equipment operated on both flights.
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 15, 2022 at 10:15 am Reason: answer updates
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete, dup (known issue with “Post Quick Reply”)
Old Dec 2, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my questions from last week, pertaining to a 1983 Rio-to-Miami trip (Post 27004), are still out there
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
The first five quiz questions all have a time line of 1981......

2. Your meeting in Atlanta went very well. And now it's time to fly to your second stop: Vancouver, BC. There is no nonstop service from ATL to YVR....but there is a direct two stop flight. Name the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft.
Will kick off the guessing with a UA 72S routing ATL-DEN-SEA-YVR

3. Another great meeting! So you're now off to your third and final stop: Tucson. And nope, there's no nonstop service from YVR to TUS....but there is a direct three stop flight. Identify the airline, the three stops and the equipment.

And my first guess for #3: RC D9S operating YVR-SEA-RNO-LAS-TUS

Last edited by Herb687; Dec 2, 2022 at 4:24 pm Reason: add second guess
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
my questions from last week, pertaining to a 1983 Rio-to-Miami trip (Post 27004), are still out there
First puzzle is where the common connection point is. Doubt very much if the first 1-stop flight is GRU or EZE so I will guess CCS and if right, make more educated guesses from there.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
#2: Will kick off the guessing with a UA 72S routing ATL-DEN-SEA-YVR

And my first guess for #3: RC D9S operating YVR-SEA-RNO-LAS-TUS
A couple of great guesses here....

2. The first stop was indeed Denver. However, it wasn't United, the aircraft wasn't a B727-200 and the second stop wasn't Seattle. But I have the feeling this question will now be answered in the very near future.

3. Alas, I do not believe Republic nor its predecessor Hughes Airwest ever served Vancouver....although both air carriers did serve Calgary and Edmonton. So it wasn't RC, the flight in question did not stop in Seattle, Reno or Las Vegas and the equipment wasn't a DC-9-30.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Dec 2, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1983, Rio to Miami
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
First puzzle is where the common connection point is. Doubt very much if the first 1-stop flight is GRU or EZE so I will guess CCS and if right, make more educated guesses from there.
CCS as the connection point is INCORRECT
GRU and EZE as the intermediate stop on the first flight are also INCORRECT; however, one of them is extremely close

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.