Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
This one has me stumped. I don't think the other big West Coast carriers (OC/PS) of the day served YVR except for UA which historically served YVR as a tag from SEA (though much later than 1981 I did fly YVR-ORD nonstop on a UA DC-10; same trip where I arrived in YVR on a UA 722 from SEA)

I don't think our OTAQ&D pax ever like leaving a city on the same carrier which they arrived, and certainly not on much of the same routing, but maybe this is the time our Quizmeister has zigged while the rest of us zagged:
FL 73S routing YVR-GEG-DEN-PHX-TUS?
3. Frontier is correct! Here's the sched....

FL 39: Vancouver (YVR) 7:00a - 7:55a Spokane (GEG) 8:20a - 11:20a Denver (DEN) 12:06p - 1:48p Phoenix (PHX) 2:19p - 2:51p Tucson (TUS)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays YVR-DEN, Daily DEN-TUS
Service class: S
Meal services: Breakfast GEG-DEN, Lunch DEN-PHX
Equip: 737-200
Notes: 1) On Saturdays only, this service operated as FL 562 YVR-GEG-DEN with the same departure & arrival times and meal service. 2) This service operated with two different flight numbers from PHX to TUS, being FL 39 and FL 216, with the continuing service then departing Tucson at 3:11 pm and operating as FL 216 TUS-ABQ-DEN-DTW-TOL.

The above flights were operated with the same aircraft that flew the aforementioned ATL-DEN-GEG-YVR service detailed in my response to the correct answer to quiz question # 2 with the airplane remaining overnight (RON) in Vancouver and then departing the next morning on the routings described above before terminating in Toledo at 11:43 pm.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 4, 2022 at 12:52 pm Reason: correction concerning meal service
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
3. Frontier is correct! Here's the sched....

FL 39: Vancouver (YVR) 7:00a - 7:55a Spokane (GEG) 8:20a - 11:20a Denver (DEN) 12:06p - 1:48p Phoenix (PHX) 2:19p - 2:51p Tucson (TUS)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays YVR-DEN, Daily DEN-TUS
Meal services: Breakfast GEG-DEN, Lunch PHX-TUS
Equip: 737-200
Notes: 1) On Saturdays only, this service operated as FL 562 YVR-GEG-DEN with the same departure & arrival times and meal service. 2) This service operated with two different flight numbers from PHX to TUS, being FL 39 and FL 216, with the continuing service then departing Tucson at 3:11 pm and operating as FL 216 TUS-ABQ-DEN-DTW-TOL.

The above flights were operated with the same aircraft that flew the aforementioned ATL-DEN-GEG-YVR service detailed in my response to the correct answer to quiz question # 2 with the airplane remaining overnight (RON) in Vancouver and then departing the next morning on the routings described above before terminating in Toledo at 11:43 pm.
I would have flown that just to see what type of lunch FL serves between PHX and TUS.

This makes for a good bonus question: what other airline(s) used GEG as a stop on direct flights between the US and Canadian cities? Which cities? I know of at least one carrier in addition to FL though I imagine there might be others.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I would have flown that just to see what type of lunch FL serves between PHX and TUS.

This makes for a good bonus question: what other airline(s) used GEG as a stop on direct flights between the US and Canadian cities? Which cities? I know of at least one carrier in addition to FL though I imagine there might be others.
Whoops! My mistake! The lunch was actually served between Denver and Phoenix with no meal service between PHX and TUS. I'll make this correction to my above response.

And in response to your bonus quiz question, I'll guess Northwest with DC-9-30 service between Spokane and Vancouver.

Plus yet another bonus quiz question....

At least four airlines operated nonstop jet service between Spokane and Calgary at different times over the years. Identify all four with the correct answer to include the different aircraft types operated by the four air carriers. And several of these airlines operated a number of different jet aircraft types on the GEG - YYC route over the years. ANSWERED - Please see posts # 27040 and # 27056 for details

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 12, 2022 at 10:00 am Reason: answer update
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted dupe post....
Old Dec 4, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Whoops! My mistake! The lunch was actually served between Denver and Phoenix with no meal service between PHX and TUS. And I'll make this correction to my above response.

And in response to your bonus quiz question, I'll guess Northwest with DC-9-30 service.
Possibly. I will see if I can find evidence of NW operating GEG-Canada. But, here's a strong hint: the carrier I know served GEG-YYC never operated any variant of DC-9.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Cascade to Calgary is the only one that I'm reasonably sure of. Western to Vancouver might make sense, as well.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
4. Your third meeting has also gone well. So now it's time to fly home arriving into Orange County John Wayne Airport on the one and only daily nonstop flight from Tucson. Name the air carrier and the aircraft.
4- this is probably the Republic DC-9-30 that was the wrong answer to one of the other questions in this group
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4. This was indeed Republic....although it appears it was actually a temporary division of RC as we shall see.

Here's the complete sched...

RW 951: Houston Hobby (HOU) 6:50p - 8:18p Tucson (TUS) 8:50p - 9:07p Orange County John Wayne (SNA)
Freq: Daily
Meal service: Dinner HOU-TUS
Equip: DC-9-30

Note that Republic used the RW airline code for this flight with the following statement providing an explanation for this (and the comment in parentheses is mine): "The Civil Aeronautics Board approved Republic's takeover of Hughes Airwest on September 12, 1980. The carrier operated as Republic Airlines West (I believe this was an internal RC designation and thus the aircraft were not branded as such) and continued using Hughes Airwest's RW code until January 1983 when the final integration of the two carriers occurred."
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And in response to your bonus quiz question, I'll guess Northwest with DC-9-30 service between Spokane and Vancouver.

Plus yet another bonus quiz question....

At least four airlines operated nonstop jet service between Spokane and Calgary at different times over the years. Identify all four with the correct answer to include the different aircraft types operated by the four air carriers. And several of these airlines operated a number of different jet aircraft types on the GEG - YYC route over the years.
Originally Posted by moondog
Cascade to Calgary is the only one that I'm reasonably sure of. Western to Vancouver might make sense, as well.
So on the bonus question of Spokane to Canada flights, we have:
Cascade GEG-YYC (did they fly BAC 1-11s or F28s?)

United GEG-YYC. This is the one I was thinking of. UA flew GEG-YYC as a tag end of flights from at least SFO and probably DEN too. Equipment could have been any of UA's versions of 737 and 727 in the late 1980s to early 1990s timeframe.

So jlemon seems to imply that two other carriers flew GEG-YYC at some point.

I will guess HP operating 737s and QX with F28s.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So on the bonus question of Spokane to Canada flights, we have:
Cascade GEG-YYC (did they fly BAC 1-11s or F28s?)

United GEG-YYC. This is the one I was thinking of. UA flew GEG-YYC as a tag end of flights from at least SFO and probably DEN too. Equipment could have been any of UA's versions of 737 and 727 in the late 1980s to early 1990s timeframe.

So jlemon seems to imply that two other carriers flew GEG-YYC at some point.

I will guess HP operating 737s and QX with F28s.
Cascade is correct! In 1985, CZ was operating one daily departure from Calgary to Spokane with a BAC One-Eleven. This service operated YYC-GEG-LWS-BOI-IDA-PIH daily except Saturdays. And on Saturdays only, the service operated YYC-GEG-SEA. Hats off to moondog for correctly guessing Cascade as well!

United is correct as well! In 1989, UA was operating two daily flights between Calgary and Spokane, both with 737-300 equipment. By 1991, United was operating three flights a day from Calgary to Spokane, two with 737-300 equipment and one with a 737-200. The 733s operated twice daily YYC-GEG-ORD service and the 73S operated a YYC-GEG-SFO flight daily except Sundays at this time. And by 1995 UA was operating two daily flights with 727-200 equipment between YYC and GEG.

However, I can find no evidence of America West or Horizon Air operating jet service between Calgary and Spokane so please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 6, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Old Dec 6, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
5. (1981) You're back on the road on business in Columbia, South Carolina where you've just completed a project assignment. Old friends in Sonoma County in northern California have just called wanting to know if you would be interested in joining them at their new second home located on the shores of Lake Tahoe near Emerald Bay. And, oh by the way, the snow conditions on the slopes at the Heavenly ski resort are currently darn near perfect! So you're now on your way to the Lake Tahoe Airport (TVL) via flights on two different airlines operating different aircraft types. Your first flight will make two stops en route to your connecting airport and your second flight will be nonstop. Identify both airlines, both stops made by the first flight, the airport where the connection will be made and the different equipment operated on each flight.
5- logical dissection process:
  • from CAE, the choices for the originating airline would have been Delta and Eastern, and the first stop was almost certainly Atlanta/ATL
  • connecting point for the flight to TVL is a fairly short list -- San Francisco/SFO, San Jose/SJC, Los Angeles/LAX, maybe San Diego/SAN -- Dallas/DFW as the intermediate stop on a DL flight is very plausible (mainly because I don't think EA ran anything besides nonstops to those CA points from ATL); I wouldn't be surprised to find a DC-8-71 operating a three-segment flight from CAE, and I'll start the speculation with LAX
  • identifying the connecting airline and equipment gets interesting ... we've had questions about Aspen, Sierra Pacific, and Golden West over the years ... let's try the uncommon one, namely GW operating a DHC-7
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
5- logical dissection process:
  • from CAE, the choices for the originating airline would have been Delta and Eastern, and the first stop was almost certainly Atlanta/ATL
  • connecting point for the flight to TVL is a fairly short list -- San Francisco/SFO, San Jose/SJC, Los Angeles/LAX, maybe San Diego/SAN -- Dallas/DFW as the intermediate stop on a DL flight is very plausible (mainly because I don't think EA ran anything besides nonstops to those CA points from ATL); I wouldn't be surprised to find a DC-8-71 operating a three-segment flight from CAE, and I'll start the speculation with LAX
  • identifying the connecting airline and equipment gets interesting ... we've had questions about Aspen, Sierra Pacific, and Golden West over the years ... let's try the uncommon one, namely GW operating a DHC-7
4. Yep, Atlanta was the first stop and the second flight was operated with a Dash 7.

However, the rest of your guesses (Delta via DFW as the second stop on board a Super DC-8 with LAX as the connecting airport and then on to Lake Tahoe via Golden West) are all incorrect.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5- so we have Eastern running a 727 or 72S CAE-ATL-XXX-YYY, and a DH7 operator that wasn’t GW flying YYY-TVL …

let’s try XXX = Las Vegas/LAS and YYY = Reno/RNO on a 727-225, and Wings West for the Dash 7
Old Dec 6, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cascade is correct! In 1985, CZ was operating one daily departure from Calgary to Spokane with a BAC One-Eleven. This service operated YYC-GEG-LWS-BOI-IDA-PIH daily except Saturdays. And on Saturdays only, the service operated YYC-GEG-SEA. Hats off to moondog for correctly guessing Cascade as well!
moondog gets full credit for that. I just posted Cascade to recap/quote moondog's correct guess.
United is correct as well! In 1989, UA was operating two daily flights between Calgary and Spokane, both with 737-300 equipment. By 1991, United was operating three flights a day from Calgary to Spokane, two with 737-300 equipment and one with a 737-200. The 733s operated twice daily YYC-GEG-ORD service and the 73S operated a YYC-GEG-SFO flight daily except Sundays at this time. And by 1995 UA was operating two daily flights with 727-200 equipment between YYC and GEG.

However, I can find no evidence of America West or Horizon Air operating jet service between Calgary and Spokane so please guess again, sir!
So, after CZ and UA, and with HP and QX now ruled out, let me guess:
WA and CP, both with 737-200s
Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

all good things must come to an end

the last 747 rolled out of the Everett factory overnight
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.