Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Mar 10, 2024, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
I will promote JAL to third position and move Northwest as number 5, thus:
  1. Pan Am Correct!
  2. TWA Correct!
  3. JAL Incorrect
  4. Lufthansa Correct!
  5. Northwest Incorrect
The US airline was not Northwest, nor did it fly to Asia back in 1970. However, it was the third airline to receive the 747.

As for the fifth airline, it was not from Asia nor from any continent with a "A" in its name. The fifth airline is also the answer to one of the remaining questions.

You got this, J

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 10, 2024 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wasn't BI the third 747 operator? I know it only flew those things to Hawaii for quite a while, so that ticks off your "no Asia" box.

Btw, I've been sitting on the sidelines for the past several months because I've been focused on helping my mom get organized, but I'll try to chime in a little more often (might not be able to follow things through to completion in short order, though).

ETA: I want to offer up Alitalia for #5 because you've seemingly honed in on Europe and I think it's the answer to your other 747 question.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
given that Braniff’s “Great Pumpkin” 747 (N601BN, that served the DFW<>HNL run for a number of years) was Line Number 100, I’ll offer Continental as the third to take delivery

and that said, since AF/BA/LH are out of the running for the fifth, I agree with moondog that AZ is a reasonable choice
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Alitalia is correct! as the fifth operator. Alas, the third was neither BN nor CO. And that leaves -
  1. Pan Am Correct!
  2. TWA Correct!
  3. BN/CO Incorrect
  4. Lufthansa Correct!
  5. Alitalia Correct!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

13. Can you list in order the first five airlines to receive Boeings 747?
Please see post 29082
13. I'll guess the third air carrier to take delivery of a new 747 was American.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
13. I'll guess the third air carrier to take delivery of a new 747 was American.-
  1. Pan Am Correct!
  2. TWA Correct!
  3. American Correct!
  4. Lufthansa Correct!
  5. Alitalia Correct!
Here's a little more info. Scroll down a bit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AviationEle...he_boeing_747/
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 13, 2024 at 10:10 pm
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
11. What was the first airline to use regional jets in North America?
11- is there a commonly accepted / understood definition of “regional jet”?

we’ve had some prior Quiz discussions of Enterprise Airlines and the Cessna Citation ~1989 (and iirc some other operator with the Dassault Falcon), but I tend to think the term doesn’t actually apply to business jets

I think we also have to exclude the Fokker F.28 and the BAe 146 because of their size (64-70 seats) and service with mainline carriers

so my first guess is Comair with the 50-seat Canadair CRJ-100, ~1992
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And Happy St. Patrick's Day to one and all!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aer-...-148/6881711/L
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
11. What was the first airline to use regional jets in North America?

Is there a commonly accepted / understood definition of “regional jet”? We’ve had some prior Quiz discussions of Enterprise Airlines and the Cessna Citation ~1989 (and iirc some other operator with the Dassault Falcon), but I tend to think the term doesn’t actually apply to business jets. I think we also have to exclude the Fokker F.28 and the BAe 146 because of their size (64-70 seats) and service with mainline carriers

I totally concur with your reasoning here...

So my first guess is Comair with the 50-seat Canadair CRJ-100, ~1992

You are correct in that Comair was operating on behalf of Delta Connection, BUT service did not commence until 1993. At least, that's the word per the Delta Museum.

https://www.deltamuseum.org/delta-history/first-in-the-air

https://bombardier.com/en/media/news/bombardier-comair-celebrate-launch-north-american-crj-operations-15-years-ago
BTW, all or most of Comair's CRJ fleet ended up parked at Kingman, Arizona. Seen here are a couple dozen resting quietly in the autumn sun...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 17, 2024 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my first CRJ flight was on 13 Aug 1993 (N917CA, CMH-CVG), so just over two months after Comair introduced the type
Old Mar 23, 2024, 4:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hi all. I have a little more free time again now so I'm kind of back in action. Given the current lull in the discussion, I'd like to take a stab at providing a few questions here. As you guys might be aware, i don't have a collection of old OAGs at my disposal, so I used my company's AI to help assemble the first 10 questions, which are easier than normal, but might be fun to talk about in any case. Meanwhile, the last 2 questions draw from my own boyhood flying experiences.1. Prior to the widespread adoption of radar systems, what were the primary navigational aids used by pilots for long-distance flights during the early 20th century?

2. Prior to the introduction of the Boeing 747, what was the largest commercial airliner in terms of passenger capacity?

3. During World War II, this airline played a significant role in ferrying military aircraft and personnel. What was the name of the airline, and which routes did it operate during this period?

4. Which airline was the first to introduce in-flight entertainment systems on its aircraft, and what year did it occur?

5. The "Golden Age of Aviation" is often associated with a period between the two World Wars. Name two famous aircraft from this era and the airlines that operated them.

6. What was the significance of the 1930 Air Mail Act in the United States, and how did it impact the development of commercial aviation?

7. Which airline introduced the first-ever scheduled transatlantic jet service in 1958, and which aircraft did it utilize for this service?

8. In the 1980s, this airline made headlines by becoming the launch customer for a groundbreaking aircraft known for its advanced composite materials and efficient design. Name the airline and the aircraft.

9. Which airline was the launch customer for the Boeing 727, and what was the aircraft's maiden flight route?

10. What was the first commercial aircraft to be entirely computer-designed, and which airline was the launch customer for this aircraft?

11. Until I was around 12 (so the rough time frame is1975-87), my mom and I went from Boston to Pittsburgh almost every year. We flew BOS-PIT nonstop on 3 different airlines during that time frame, though 2 of them were effectively the same airline (i.e. just a rebrand or a perhaps a merger + rebranding) on 4 different a/c types. One of these airlines also operated flights between BOS and PIT that stopped in 2 different places (XXX and YYY), which were each close to great circle compliance, but if you tried to hit both on the same flight, youd be zigzagging. A fourth airline entered our orbit on the same route in the early 80s, but didnt offer through fares (e.g. BOS-ZZZ and ZZZ-PIT were sold separately, and my mom always paid in cash at the beginning of each segment, but there must have been other sales channels too). This airline was folded into airline #5, which did offer through fares, but everything else remained the same (i.e. airplanes and XXX) until the end of the decade. So, Im looking for 5 airlines, 4 a/c types (subtypes might have been applicable in 2 cases, but I dont know them), and XXX/YYY/ZZZ.

12. Also during the same period, I flew between HYA and BOS every other weekend until my parents deemed I was old enough to take the bus instead. These flights were on 2 different airlines onboard 7 different a/c types. Several of the a/c types were common between these airlines, but in the case of the HYA-BOS route at the time, were looking for a 2 + 5 split. Please identify the airlines and the airplanes.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 5:23 pm

2. That was Loftleidir's CL-44
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:13 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by moondog
1. Prior to the widespread adoption of radar systems, what were the primary navigational aids used by pilots for long-distance flights during the early 20th century?
10. What was the first commercial aircraft to be entirely computer-designed, and which airline was the launch customer for this aircraft?
1. I was thinking LORAN (long-range navigation) until the part about the "early 20th century", as LORAN wasn't developed until WWII. But I can't really think of anything prior to that other than celestial navigation.

10. I believe that was the 777, whose launch customer was United.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 9:32 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
2. I was thinking the IL-62 at 198 pax capacity.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2- some stretch DC-8s were configured for 200+ in high-density or charter configuration (Icelandair, Capitol, Airlift International, Overseas National, Seaboard World, Transamerica, and the like)
Seat 2A likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.