Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
37. (1992) Tahiti can be flown to from Stockholm via just two nonstop flights and a single connection? No way! Way, Dude… Two airlines are involved, each of them operating a different aircraft type. Your job now is to identify the two airlines, the connection airport and the aircraft types.
This is probably way off base for the airlines and equipment, but the routing seems very reasonable; I’ll offer that we’re looking at SAS to Los Angeles/LAX on a 767-300, thence Air France with a 747 to PPT

Although you're off on the routing, you're spot on as to the equipment, i.e. a 763 on the first leg connecting to a 747...
37- ok, how about United to Qantas over SFO

42B- might the missing 747 have been Air Canada to Toronto?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
37. (1992) Tahiti can be flown to from Stockholm via just two nonstop flights and a single connection? No way! Way, Dude… Two airlines are involved, each of them operating a different aircraft type. Your job now is to identify the two airlines, the connection airport and the aircraft types.

Okay, how about United to Qantas over SFO

Alas, there were no nonstops from Stockholm to the U.S. west coast back in 1992. Additionally, neither United nor Qantas are involved.

BTW, I neglected to mention that SAS as the 767 operator on the first leg is correct! So too it turns out is AF as the 747 operator on the second leg.

Bonus Question 42B: A total of twelve 747 flights into Miami were offered per the 1973 North American OAG employed to reference this question. Aside from Delta's seven flights, can you identify the airlines and origin airports of the other five flights?
NA to JFK (X2) and LAX as well as NW to ORD have been identified. Need one more airline and destination

Might the missing 747 have been Air Canada to Toronto?

Air Canada is correct!, Toronto - surprisingly - is not. And of course that means it must've been... Yellowknife! No, no! Montreal Dorval, of course.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 13, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA
Luxair LX 182 Nairobi (NBO) 1130p-730p Luxembourg (LUX) A300B Th Sa
Luxair LX 305 Luxembourg (LUX) 1030a-1140a Frankfurt (FRA) F27 Daily

Unless the A300 was a -600 variant, it wouldn't have had the range to fly the 3960 mile route between NBO and LUX. A fleet check shows LX operated just one A300, LX-LGP, an A300B4-203. A check of the aircraft range for the the B4-200 variant (on the A300 Wikipedia page) shows the range of the B4-200 variant to be just 2900 nm.

So, good call Mr. M. It would appear the schedule is in error and the aircraft was likely a 747SP.
Or maybe not ... a trawl around under Luxair shows nothing. But a search for Trek Airways from Johannesburg gives a little Airliners.net posting that says :
I remember one hideous trip in 1985 in an old SQ A300: JNB - NBO - CAI (fuel uplift) - LUX... not intended for hot-and-high!

I think this could be the one:
Followed by a picture of LX-LGP itself, which indeed was ex-Singapore Airlines (and not that old either, although reseated all-economy for European holiday flights)). And a fuel stop in Cairo. Although most of the other recollections are of the 747SP. The A300 was after a few years sold to South African Airways, who already had the type in their fleet, so I suspect one would likely find their crews up front, as always applied to the 747SP as well.

I always thought Luxair used the A300 it had for a few years on holiday flights to Palma and The Canaries, There may not be a lot of population in Luxembourg, but it's only a couple of hours drive by road from a lot of France, Belgium and Germany. Frankfurt is the nearest major city. The 747SP seems to have been in the fleet throughout the 1980s, but seemingly wasn't always on the Johannesburg run.

The whole Luxair/Trek scene was shrouded in some secrecy, in order to fly across Africa when South African airlines were banned there, without upsetting too many sensibilities. Although painted in Luxair livery the operator was officially Luxavia, and the aircraft were registered in Luxembourg. The South African accents of the pilots must have been a bit of a giveaway to ATC, but then much of African aviation all over seems to be run by South African pilots.

I've a recent bit of a soft spot for little Luxair, whose principal London destination is London City rather than Heathrow. During the Covid lockdown they were always the last operator left flying, and in particular the first to return, when BA was still not operating, and they kept the flag flying, on some days the only flight there. Probably not profitable for them at all. A recent schedule change now has them overnighting here (it's Q400 LX-LQC tonight), and when I go out running in the early morning down by the airport they are commonly the first away at 06.45 when it opens. I'll give it a little wave tomorrow.
I remember one hideous trip in 1985 in an o
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 13, 2022 at 5:40 pm
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:47 pm

How about an SAS 767 on Stockholm to Tokyo, followed by a UTA 747 which operates their long-established route from back in DC8 days for Japanese tourists from Tokyo to Papeete.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM

How about an SAS 767 on Stockholm to Tokyo, followed by a UTA 747 which operates their long-established route from back in DC8 days for Japanese tourists from Tokyo to Papeete.

I just finished messaging jrl767 that he was correct on both the aircraft AND the airlines in his first guess, i.e. an SAS 763 connecting to an AF 747 operating as a codeshare that I initially thought was operated by another airline. Further research shows that not to have been the case.

Tokyo Narita is correct as the connection point, so here is the itinerary -

SAS Scandinavian SK 985 Stockholm (ARN) 305p-920a Tokyo (NRT) 767-300 Mo Th
Air France AF 280 Tokyo (NRT) 155p-555a Papeete (PPT) 747-200 Tu
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
given the lack of feedback on airlines, I had contemplated NRT (SK connecting to JL) as my next guess

however, I see that our esteemed colleague from Across the Pond pointed us in the right direction while I was spending the last 20 or so minutes looking up aircraft data and posting a rebuttal in a recent AS board thread about payload limitations
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
41. (1987) With its acquisition of Republic Airlines, Northwest has an even larger presence in the Southeast. Its new hub in Memphis, Tennessee was never a hotbed of activity for widebody aircraft but Northwest has introduced MEM’s first 747 service along with DC-10 nonstops from four different U.S airports. With this question, we’re looking to identify those four airports. Are you up for it?
MSP, DTW and MIA have been correctly identified. The other two airports do not include BOS, LAX, MKE, PHX or TPA

Answer: Could it be MCO and ORD?

It wasn't 1987 but later when I had the opportunity to fly aboard KLM MEM-AMS more than once. I flew aboard a MD-11 and 767-300ER. I also flew MEM to SEA, SFO, and LAX. Now MEM is likely very quiet but not quite a ghost town.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
40. (1986) Following a productive three days in Abu Dhabi, it’s time to move on to your next assignment in Nairobi, Kenya. There is a once weekly nonstop ABU-NBO flight, but alas, not on the day you need. Thankfully, another airline offers a convenient online connection departing early tomorrow morning and arriving NBO in the early afternoon. The first flight to the connection point makes a single enroute stop, followed by a nonstop into Nairobi. It is the only airline offering an online connection where both flights are aboard vintage four engine jetliners of the same type. As an added bonus, First Class is available on both flights. Airline, routing and equipment please
It's not Saudia or Sudan Airways, but it is a 707. The intermediate stop is in the country of the national airline involved.

The only other country on a reasonably direct route between AUH and NBO with two sizeable enough cities for international jet service appears to be Ethiopia … geography says the enroute stop was Asmara and the connection was at Addis Ababa

Ethiopian makes sense - but alas ET didn't run a 707 all the way through (72S to ADD)
40- I think I’m into “wild guess” territory at this point … Alyemda (Yemen Airlines) via Sana’a, connecting at Aden
Old Jun 14, 2022, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
41. (1987) With its acquisition of Republic Airlines, Northwest has an even larger presence in the Southeast. Its new hub in Memphis, Tennessee was never a hotbed of activity for widebody aircraft but Northwest has introduced MEM’s first 747 service along with DC-10 nonstops from four different U.S airports. With this question, we’re looking to identify those four airports. Are you up for it?
MSP, DTW and MIA have been correctly identified. The other two airports do not include BOS, LAX, MKE, PHX or TPA

Answer: Could it be MCO and ORD?

Welcome back, Toshbaf! Three airports have already been correctly identified above, so we need just one more. Which one would you like to go with?

Now MEM is likely very quiet but not quite a ghost town.

Sad but true... I'd love to return for another visit to Dave Neely's Interstate BBQ on the B concourse. Best pulled pork sandwich ever!!!
Old Jun 14, 2022, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Oh, I counted wrong.

MCO.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 6:17 am

an SAS 763 connecting to an AF 747 operating as a codeshare that I initially thought was operated by another airline. Further research shows that not to have been the case.
1992 was when UTA merged into Air France, so it depends which month the OAG was. However there is the usual French lack of clarity for who operated what (very notable on their domestic flights) to be taken into account ...

Air France were thus back on a sector of one of the more bizarre round-the-world flights, which I think we covered before. Paris to French Tahiti was most logically through Los Angeles, which Air France operated to that point, connecting to UTA beyond. For UTA to operate this route from their Paris base was a right nuisance, their own route there was out across Asia and the South Pacific, ending up three-quarters of the way round the world, but having to go back the same way. Both airlines wanted to operate the whole route, but the French government, recognising the demand from Paris really didn't justify two carriers, would not give licences for this. Air France then came up with an "end run", where their South American route from Paris through Venezuela and Peru was extended across the Pacific to Tahiti, and then Tokyo, returning home from there. No competition anywhere near the new route, so they got licenced into Tahiti. The sector from Peru had hardly any passengers or demand, and was a huge loss maker, but onwards to Tokyo got sold quite extensively to Japanese tourists. In the end some agreement prevailed, the South Pacific sector was given up, and UTA started Papeete to Tokyo. For a while.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
We're still waiting on an answer for question 3 of my mini:quiz.

Ozark 978 leaves DEN at 10:05 AM, and makes three stops before arriving at ORD at 2:45 PM. The 1st stop is Waterloo, Iowa; what are the other two stops?
I'm thinking the missing stops we are looking for that were made by this Ozark service were Moline followed by Rockford.

Now what I'm not sure about was the equipment. Was it a D9S or DC9? Let's go with a DC-9-10.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
I'm thinking the missing stops we are looking for that were made by this Ozark service were Moline followed by Rockford.

Now what I'm not sure about was the equipment. Was it a D9S or DC9? Let's go with a DC-9-10.
RFD is correct, but MLI is incorrect. So, the routing is DEN-ALO-XXX-RFD-ORD.

OZ's timetables don't differentiate between -10s and -30s. Flights in the 500 and 900 series are DC-9s, and flights in the 700 and 800 series are FH-227s.

I'm sure part of the reason OZ's timetables didn't differentiate between the two models of DC-9s was because they probably swapped -10s and -30s based on flight loads.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
RFD is correct, but MLI is incorrect. So, the routing is DEN-ALO-XXX-RFD-ORD.

OZ's timetables don't differentiate between -10s and -30s. Flights in the 500 and 900 series are DC-9s, and flights in the 700 and 800 series are FH-227s.

I'm sure part of the reason OZ's timetables didn't differentiate between the two models of DC-9s was because they probably swapped -10s and -30s based on flight loads.
Back then in that part of the U.S. midwest, if there was a runway that could take an FH-227B, Ozark was probably operating scheduled service into that airfield.

But of course we are talking about a McDonnell Douglas twin jet here so let's make that second stop in Cedar Rapids.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
Back then in that part of the U.S. midwest, if there was a runway that could take an FH-227B, Ozark was probably operating scheduled service into that airfield.

But of course we are talking about a McDonnell Douglas twin jet here so let's make that second stop in Cedar Rapids.
CID is incorrect.

To help you out, here's the schedule pattern at the "mystery stop":

MKE: 2x day, DC-9
MLI: 1x day, FH-227, continues to STL
RFD: 1x day, DC-9, continues to ORD
STL: 1x day DC-9
SUX: 1x day DC-9, continues to DEN
ALO: 1x day DC-9, continues to DEN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.