Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
35. (1973) You’re off to Chicago next week - the first time you’ve flown anywhere in three years. From your home in New Haven, Connecticut you’ve booked a convenient online connection involving two flights - the first nonstop to the connection airport followed by a one-stopper into Chicago. Both flights will be operated with the same equipment type. We’re looking for all the usual stuff here. Don’t forget to identify the enroute stopover on the flight into Chicago.
35– Allegheny had some BAC 1-11 service at HVN, but I’m pretty sure they only operated Convair 580s there at this time

iirc the only other jet operator was Eastern, with both 727 and D9S service to Washington National/DCA … a one-stopper to ORD would have more likely been a 727, with the stop perhaps at Louisville/SDF
Old May 30, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
35. (1973) You’re off to Chicago next week - the first time you’ve flown anywhere in three years. From your home in New Haven, Connecticut you’ve booked a convenient online connection involving two flights - the first nonstop to the connection airport followed by a one-stopper into Chicago. Both flights will be operated with the same equipment type. We’re looking for all the usual stuff here. Don’t forget to identify the enroute stopover on the flight into Chicago.

Allegheny had some BAC 1-11 service at HVN, but I’m pretty sure they only operated Convair 580s there at this time. IIRC the only other jet operator was Eastern, with both 727 and D9S service to Washington National/DCA … a one-stopper to ORD would have more likely been a 727, with the stop perhaps at Louisville/SDF

That's the one. Here's the itinerary -

Eastern EA 197 New Haven (HVN) 440p-541p Washington (DCA) 727-100 Daily
Eastern EA 501 Washington (DCA) 825p-949p Louisville (SDF) 1015p-1013p Chicago (ORD) 727-100 Daily
Old May 30, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA
Seemingly silly, perhaps, but spot on, Sir! Saudia via Jeddah it was!

Saudia SV 020 New York (JFK) 900p-420p Jeddah (JDD) 747-300 Tu
Saudia SV 390 Jeddah (JDD) 730p-1015a Manila (MNL) 747-300 We Su
My goodness, that was posted as a JOKE !

Nowadays this alternative way round would be obvious - Emirates, Etihad or Qatar, all of whom could do a daily one-stop (for Emirates, possibly more than once a day and on A380s). But 30 years ago they were all mere pimples. However the focus then in the Mid-East was more Saudi, they had more service from London Heathrow then than now, and if you know the Middle East a lot of the immigrant labour comes from certain countries only, Philippines, and Korea, being key ones. So worth a shot. I'm surprised that JFK was only once a week.

Now I wonder if our mythical traveller would have enjoyed life on board. Absolutely no alcohol served. JFK to Jeddah would be oil industry staff and other exporters. Jeddah to Manila, I'm afraid to say, would be 300-plus Filipino labourers returning home back in economy. Let's hope we are at least up in F.
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM

I'm surprised that JFK was only once a week.

The above flight was numbered "SV 024" on Thursdays, operating on the exact same schedule. That's it though - just the two nonstops per week between JFK and JDD
Old May 31, 2022, 4:06 am

I'm surprised that JFK was only once a week.

The above flight was numbered "SV 024" on Thursdays, operating on the exact same schedule. That's it though - just the two nonstops per week between JFK and JDD
Possibly they also had flights to Riyadh, or Dhahran, then continuing to other points. Saudia was long like this at London Heathrow, three or more departures in a day sometimes, but various destinations, some stopping intermediately, different times on different days, different flight numbers, etc, all to no particular pattern. Even their mainstream domestic flights, multiple widebodies per day, seemed to have completely different patterns each day of the week.

31. (1973) As of January 1973, what is the longest flight in North America operated by a turboprop airliner? Airline, route and aircraft please.

Reeve Aleutian Electra, Seattle to Kodiak ?

You've got the correct airline and aircraft. We're looking for a different city pair though. Given that it's Reeve, this should be a lot easier..
Given that Seattle is not involved I presume it's a long Alaskan flight down The Aleutians, from Anchorage. I'm embarrassed to make a faux-pas with our illustrious Alaskan resident. Didn't Northwest used to make a refuelling stop at Adak in the 1950s, halfway from Anchorage to Tokyo ? Is there really a "city" down there ?

There used to be a wonderful video on YouTube, now seemingly gone, of a flight in a Reeve Electra, including a view of the approach into the gravel strip at, I believe, Port Heiden, real barren Alaska, that let me recall my own one trip to Anchorage.

Meanwhile we are into a notable holiday week here in the UK, 70 years anniversary of The Queen, which started very much with an aircraft connection, being downroute in Africa when King George VI unexpectedly died rin 1952, and a great aviation effort was made to return instantly - which I think I made some questions about on a previous anniversary. In fact at their departure on the trip The King had come along to "see them off", not a normal issue but he was a notable flyer himself, active pilot in WW1, in the 1930s owned a personal Airspeed Envoy twin (think Beech 18), and came and had a good inspection with the crew of the BOAC Canadair C-4 Argonaut which was chartered for the trip, including an extended ramp walkaround in the bitter February weather at Heathrow, which is said to be what was the cause of it all a few days later. Aviation here has never forgotten this, thereafter whenever bad weather is in hand a whole hangar is cleared out and the Royal aircraft is taxied in there for transfer to a car alongside.

For us (quite off topic), it's a school holiday week, and as Little Miss WHBM progressively develops on the piano, a treat yesterday was to go to Central London by the new high speed Crossrail train and go to the piano shop and "have a go" on some of the better ones there (we have started off with the cheapest model they do). It's the Yamaha music shop, in Soho, at the heart of London's (Europe's) music and movie commercial centre. See here :
160 Wardour St - Google Maps

The pianos are behind those seven ground floor windows, so they have quite a collection, and the staff are very pleasant and tolerant. After about 5 minutes of us playing inside there, notice in the link that at the front door if you zoom in there is also a white grand piano just inside. A disreputable hobo came up the steps and started hammering up and down on the keys. Assistant calls to her manager, who has heard it anyway, strides out and promptly ejects him back out into the street. Little Miss W is transfixed, never having seen any such event like this before. In relating the day's events to others in the evening, it ("there was a naughty man") was obviously the highlight of the trip !
Seat 2A and jlemon like this.

Last edited by WHBM; May 31, 2022 at 4:14 am
Old May 31, 2022, 8:40 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
31. (1973) As of January 1973, what is the longest flight in North America operated by a turboprop airliner? Airline, route and aircraft please.
It's a Reeve Aleutian Electra. The flight does not include Seattle or Kodiak
RAA flew SEA-Cold Bay/CDB, but I think they didn't start that (brief) service until later than 1973 (thinking 1977 or so.) So I'll guess it was nonstop service to The Rock, ANC-Shemya/SYA. It's also possible that there was a nonstop sector from Attu to ANC but I thought that was an extension on the SYA or Adak runs. So I'll stick with Shemya. BTW, Shemya is in the eastern hemisphere, so "North America" ...?

(Bonus semi-related question) - in 1971 you're flying on an all-jet (B727) route from Seattle to one of the Aleutian Islands. Name the charter carrier, the client, and the route.

Last edited by Gardyloo; May 31, 2022 at 8:53 am
Old May 31, 2022, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
34. (1987) You love flying First Class and you love being served a nice meal inflight. As such, you couldn’t be happier to be booked upon a four stop flight between Washington DC and Las Vegas upon which you’ll be served two lunches and a dinner enroute. Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft type.
34-
  • I started out trying to make this work with Eastern; came up with a feasible routing for a 72S or a 757 (DCA-Florida-ATL-PHX-LAS), but MIA/PBI/FLL/MCO/TPA-ATL seems too short for lunch service
  • Western was still around in the first part of the year; again, there's a feasible 72S routing (DCA-MSP-SLC-LAX-LAS), but there's no way SLC-LAX would have featured dinner
  • TW only had the STL hub, CO wasn't yet serving DCA, NW route system could accommodate with a D9S but would been too convoluted (DCA-DTW-MSP-MEM-PHX-LAS), ditto for UA with a 72S (DCA-ORD-XXX-DEN-SFO-LAS)
I think this falls into the "wild guess" category: American MD-80, running DCA-ORD-IAH-DFW-PHX-LAS
Old May 31, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Gardyloo

(Bonus semi-related question) - in 1971 you're flying on an all-jet (B727) route from Seattle to one of the Aleutian Islands. Name the charter carrier, the client, and the route.

I wonder if this may have had something to do with oil exploration in the Bering Sea back at that time. I seem to recall that Era Helicopters was operating contract service down in the Aleutians with a Boeing Vertol BV-234 with this large rotorcraft having been leased from Columbia Helicopters. This was one of the very few times the BV-234 had been used for passenger transport in the U.S. (another notable use was scheduled passenger BV-234 service into Atlantic City operated by the Trump organization).

So with that, I'll guess Alaska Airlines operating contract 727 passenger service for Shell (formerly Royal Dutch Shell) from Seattle into Dutch Harbor.
Gardyloo likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:59 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Right airline, wrong route, wrong contractor. DUT couldn't handle 727s in the early '70s (nor could it handle the Electra) thus Reeve served it with their YS-11s. You're right, however, regarding subsurface work being the object of the exercise.
Old May 31, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Possibly (Saudia) also had flights to Riyadh, or Dhahran, then continuing to other points.

Saudia SV 028 New York (JFK) 900p-500p Riyadh (RUH) 747-300 Su

The only other nonstop out of JFK was the above Sunday only to Riyadh. The Tuesday and Thursday flights continued on to Dhahran and Riyadh respectively.

Given that Seattle is not involved I presume it's a long Alaskan flight down The Aleutians, from Anchorage. I'm embarrassed to make a faux-pas with our illustrious Alaskan resident. Didn't Northwest used to make a refuelling stop at Adak in the 1950s, halfway from Anchorage to Tokyo ? Is there really a "city" down there ?

You've nothing to be embarrassed about, Mr. M - living all your life 4500 miles from Alaska and even being aware of Reeve and its operations is laudable. And of course you're on the right track - the flight in question operated between Anchorage and a point even farther out in the Aleutians. I'm sure you'll knock it off next guess.

As to Adak - I've been there a couple of times. Prior to the BRAC closures, it had a population of about 6000. Today - closer to 60. Here are a few pictures from a 2007 trip report

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7571860-post2.html
Old May 31, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
34. (1987) You love flying First Class and you love being served a nice meal inflight. As such, you couldn’t be happier to be booked upon a four stop flight between Washington DC and Las Vegas upon which you’ll be served two lunches and a dinner enroute. Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft type.
  • I started out trying to make this work with Eastern; came up with a feasible routing for a 72S or a 757 (DCA-Florida-ATL-PHX-LAS), but MIA/PBI/FLL/MCO/TPA-ATL seems too short for lunch service
  • Western was still around in the first part of the year; again, there's a feasible 72S routing (DCA-MSP-SLC-LAX-LAS), but there's no way SLC-LAX would have featured dinner
  • TW only had the STL hub, CO wasn't yet serving DCA, NW route system could accommodate with a D9S but would been too convoluted (DCA-DTW-MSP-MEM-PHX-LAS), ditto for UA with a 72S (DCA-ORD-XXX-DEN-SFO-LAS)
I think this falls into the "wild guess" category: American MD-80, running DCA-ORD-IAH-DFW-PHX-LAS

Well, it was an MD-80. Beyond that, you'll have to re-do the rest of this response.

Good luck!
Old May 31, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's a Reeve Aleutian Electra. The flight does not include Seattle or Kodiak

RAA flew SEA-Cold Bay/CDB, but I think they didn't start that (brief) service until later than 1973 (thinking 1977 or so.) So I'll guess it was nonstop service to The Rock, ANC-Shemya/SYA. It's also possible that there was a nonstop sector from Attu to ANC but I thought that was an extension on the SYA or Adak runs. So I'll stick with Shemya. BTW, Shemya is in the eastern hemisphere, so "North America" ...?

Good call, Gardyloo. Here's the itinerary -

Reeve Aleutian RV 004 Shemya (SYA) 450p-1000p Anchorage (ANC) L188 Electra Tu Fr 1452 miles
Old May 31, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

34- well, the MadDog means it must have been JetAmerica, which means the first two stops were MSP and SEA ... Portland and Long Beach for the others
Old May 31, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Right airline, wrong route, wrong contractor. DUT couldn't handle 727s in the early '70s (nor could it handle the Electra) thus Reeve served it with their YS-11s. You're right, however, regarding subsurface work being the object of the exercise.
Ah, sounds like the runway at Dutch was even shorter back then. I think it's still only 4,500 feet in length these days.....which must have made life interesting at times for Boeing 737 combi flight crews back when DUT had jet service.

So let's move up the chain a bit and have that 727 charter service land at Cold Bay....although I haven't a clue concerning the company Alaska Airlines was operating for. Might have been another oil & gas company that was conducting offshore exploratory drilling in the area....or perhaps it was actually a mining outfit.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:29 pm

These Aleutian points are not too far south of Anadyr, top of Kamchatka, Russian Far East, which in those times had a daily Ilyushin 62 to Moscow, and a few per week to Leningrad (now St Petersburg), the latter certainly sometimes transiting the North Pole en route. More recently it is an Aeroflot 777-300ER. The airport is the typical late-Soviet style, with sloping windows. I suspect somewhat more than any of the Aleutian points have got

Ugolny Airport (airports-worldwide.com)

Did Reeve ever run flights with the Electra, scheduled or charter, to the Soviet Union ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.