Wiki Posts
Search

DCA-SEA Stopped in STL on 6/11?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG
DCA-SEA Stopped in STL on 6/11?

Just got a message that flight 3 from DCA is now stopping in STL. Anyone know why?

Gail
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by gahyland
Just got a message that flight 3 from DCA is now stopping in STL. Anyone know why?

Gail
might be because of an issue with a previous cancelled flight and rebooking people or transporting a cargo shipmrnt.

i was on an American flight earlier this week. It was a standard 3x3 jet but they only allowed 85. PAX on the plane due to weight. Thry said itwas fuel. It was something else getting shipped.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:35 pm

Checked flightradar and saw it was an Airbus so I thought it might be a fuel stop but not on the 321. My other thought is it could be a short notice fallen soldier flight since it is coming from DCA. flight.https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n923va
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
Checked flightradar and saw it was an Airbus so I thought it might be a fuel stop but not on the 321. My other thought is it could be a short notice fallen soldier flight since it is coming from DCA. flight.https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n923va
Thanks. Cool site, I've got it bookmarked.

My son is on the flight. Passengers were told it was a fuel stop, but now it's back to a nonstop. Confusing. I'll be watching FlightAware to see where he ends up.

Apparently, there was a catering failure and no food is available.

Maybe that made the difference.<g>
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club

Looks like it's going nonstop. Is it possible that the warm weather at DCA + headwinds prevented a full load initially? I've always wondered about those transcons with National's short runway setup.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by gahyland
Thanks. Cool site, I've got it bookmarked.

My son is on the flight. Passengers were told it was a fuel stop, but now it's back to a nonstop. Confusing. I'll be watching FlightAware to see where he ends up.

Apparently, there was a catering failure and no food is available.

Maybe that made the difference.<g>
fuel stop seems odd….I can be used as a cover for classified cargo transport.

ive flown thst route more than a few times, evrn with strong headwinds but no need to refuel. If they were to do a refuel stop, it would make more sense to do it in denver or wait and do it in Salt Lake City, idaho or Montana where they fly more frequently than St. Louis.

i think it was a last minute cancelation of the shipment
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Trial run for the mid continent scissor hub.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Spanish

Looks like it's going nonstop. Is it possible that the warm weather at DCA + headwinds prevented a full load initially? I've always wondered about those transcons with National's short runway setup.
Or possibly a big storm mid-continent they thought they’d have to route a long way around, increasing the flight distance enough to need a fuel stop? But then the forecast changed enough so they could route more directly? I see a decent-sized storm on that radar image, though it doesn’t look large enough to cause that kind of issue.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by djp98374
fuel stop seems odd….I can be used as a cover for classified cargo transport.

ive flown thst route more than a few times, evrn with strong headwinds but no need to refuel. If they were to do a refuel stop, it would make more sense to do it in denver or wait and do it in Salt Lake City, idaho or Montana where they fly more frequently than St. Louis.

i think it was a last minute cancelation of the shipment
Under no circumstances would "classified" cargo be transported by commercial air that wasn't an exclusive charter, and even in that case I can't imagine the circumstance where that was the best option over MILAIR.

Last edited by PaceLaw2012; Jun 12, 2022 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
Under no circumstances would "classified" cargo be transported by commercial air that wasn't an exclusive charter, and even in that case I can't imagine the circumstance where that was the best option over MILAIR.

special cargo is shipped all the time. It’s easier to ship something through commercial routes than special military/ charter aircraft
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

“special” =\= “classified”
anteater, PABE and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Friend is an exVX Airbus captain at Alaska - he said there really shouldn't be a reason for NEO to make a stop on *any* of Alaska's routes. Said the bird can really fly with a full boat, wings full of gas, and bins stuffed and not have to stop. "She can fly a little over 8 hours before we gotta start leaving bags or people, or make a fuel stop".
mixmastermark and DUT like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

“special” =\= “classified”
tomato - to-MAH-to
Old Jun 13, 2022, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Friend is an exVX Airbus captain at Alaska - he said there really shouldn't be a reason for NEO to make a stop on *any* of Alaska's routes. Said the bird can really fly with a full boat, wings full of gas, and bins stuffed and not have to stop. "She can fly a little over 8 hours before we gotta start leaving bags or people, or make a fuel stop".

on Tuesday I was on an AA flight ORD-DCA standard jet (737 or airbus equiv). They woukd only take 85 PAX on the plane claiming the needed a full tank of fuel for some reason.

i call BS when I see it. It’s because of cargo on the plane.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
seeing, calling, and *actually knowing* are three different things, and that being said, I find it *extremely* hard to believe that AA limited a mainline jet to 85 pax on ORD-DCA because of full cargo bins

A319/320 Max Zero Fuel Weight (Operating Empty Weight + Max Payload) is 129,000 lb / 141,800 lb respectively; 737-800 and 737 MAX8 are 138,200 lb / 145,400 lb respectively

Max Takeoff Weights are 166,000 lb / 172,000 lb and 187,700 lb / 194,800 lb respectively

max fuel capacity for the jets is 46,900 lb / 48,200 lb and 52,500 lb / 45,900 lb respectively; given that all have a range of ~2500 miles, required fuel for the ~600-mile ORD-DCA segment would be no more than a third of max capacity, approx 13000 lb — none of the types would be close to MTOW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.