Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old May 5, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

21. (1979) In jlemon’s recent set of questions, you needed to get from Reno across the country to Smoky Mountains National Park. Now, after having hiked a 98 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to return to Reno. Your closest airport is still in Knoxville and there just happens to be a 2-stop direct flight departing Knoxville every afternoon, seven days a week. You’ve booked a First Class seat and are already looking forward to that first cold beer after takeoff. Name the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the aircraft and the two enroute stops.
21. Well, we now know it was TWA operating a B727-100 and the first stop was St. Louis....but the second stop wasn't Denver. I had also mentioned Las Vegas as being the second stop in my initial response.....but didn't get a thumbs up concerning LAS. So let's go with Salt Lake City being the second stop.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
It's force of habit, Herb - when thinking of Bangor in an airline sense, it's oh so easy think of... Northeast or Delta. And Little Rock only emphasizes Delta. But NO! We're looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft over an entirely different routing. Please, guess again!
Well the next most logical guess would be United since by the "First to Fly All 50 States" era they served both BGR and LIT and had some multi-stop flights like the one above serving both HPN and ABE.

Let me try a UA 737 operating BGR-PWM-ORD-TUL-LIT.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your companys travel office informs you that theres now a nonstop flight departing Newport News Patrick Henry Field thatll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldnt be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.
20- was this one of the last-gasp routes that Braniff II established shortly before folding at the end of that year? the jet could well have been an ex-Florida Express (maybe even ex-original Braniff) BAC One-Eleven
Old May 5, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
7. (1988)Arkansas is the only state you haven’t yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, AR you couldn’t be happier. Wrong! You are even happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing BGR each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

For some reason I think we have another United 737-200 here ... wild guesses as to the stops, with the exception of the second ... Manchester/MHT, Chicago O'Hare/ORD, and Nashville/BNA

You're off to a great start here, J - United is correct, as are your first two stops at MHT and ORD. Beyond that, we still need the correct aircraft type and the third stop (It wasn't BNA) before we can relegate this question to the "Answered Bin"

20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your company’s travel office informs you that there’s now a nonstop flight departing Newport News’ Patrick Henry Field that’ll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldn’t be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.

Was this one of the last-gasp routes that Braniff II established shortly before folding at the end of that year? The jet could well have been an ex-Florida Express (maybe even ex-original Braniff) BAC One-Eleven

Not a bad guess, J - especially commencing out of Orlando. But NO! In this case we're looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft type.
HINT: The airline involved operated just a single jet aircraft type and was not normally associated with runs along the eastern seaboard...
Old May 5, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
7- I will upgauge the jet to a standard 727, and give props to Herb687 for suggesting TUL as the third stop (the more geographically logical MEM was part of his incorrect first guess)
Old May 5, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
21. (1979) In jlemon’s recent set of questions, you needed to get from Reno across the country to Smoky Mountains National Park. Now, after having hiked a 98 mile section of the Appalachian Trail, it’s time to return to Reno. Your closest airport is still in Knoxville and there just happens to be a 2-stop direct flight departing Knoxville every afternoon, seven days a week. You’ve booked a First Class seat and are already looking forward to that first cold beer after takeoff. Name the airline you’ll be flying upon as well as the aircraft and the two enroute stops.

Well, we now know it was TWA operating a B727-100 and the first stop was St. Louis....but the second stop wasn't Denver. I had also mentioned Las Vegas as being the second stop in my initial response.....but didn't get a thumbs up concerning LAS. So let's go with Salt Lake City being the second stop.

Way to finish this one off, JL! Salt Lake City is correct as the second stop. Here's the schedule:

TWA TW 557 Knoxville (TYS) 440p-503p St. Louis (STL) 555p-758p D Salt Lake City (SLC) 830p-844p (RNO) 727-100 Daily
Old May 5, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
7. (1988) Arkansas is the only state you havent yet been to, so when business calls in the form of a sales appointment in Little Rock, AR you couldnt be happier. Wrong! You are happier upon discovering a three-stop direct flight departing BGR each morning. Better yet, it offers First Class! Book it, Danno! Identify the airline, aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

Well the next most logical guess would be United since by the "First to Fly All 50 States" era they served both BGR and LIT and had some multi-stop flights like the one above serving both HPN and ABE. Let me try a UA 737 operating BGR-PWM-ORD-TUL-LIT.

We're slowly chipping away at this one... jrl767 beat you to it with regard to United being the carrier of record here. Additionally he correctly named the first two stops, those being MHT and ORD. You have correctly identified the final stop, that being Tulsa, OK. Now the only missing piece to this question is the correct aircraft type. It was not a 737-200. We're in tap-in territory here. Quick, hurry up to the green before someone beats you to it!
Old May 5, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7- I will upgauge the jet to a standard 727, and give props to Herb687 for suggesting TUL as the third stop (the more geographically logical MEM was part of his incorrect first guess)
And jrl767 sweeps in with the tap-in! The 727-100 is correct! Here's the schedule:

United UA 375 Bangor (BGR) 625a-716a Manchester (MHT) 750a-905a B Chicago (ORD) 945a-1128a S Tulsa (TUL) 1153a-1243p Little Rock (LIT) 727-100 Daily
Old May 6, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're down to the final four questions in this set. There have been no responses for almost 24 hours, so I'll leave these out here through tomorrow night. If there are responses we'll work through them and if.no response I'll clear them off and we'll take a few days break. That is, unless someone else has a batch of questions they'd like to submit. Over to you.

As always, please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Answers that include terms like "possibly" or "probably" et al are not acceptable. Please be specific. Thanks!

9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, there’s a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.
A N S W E R E D

10. (1998) You need to fly from Indianapolis to Orlando. Due to some recently discovered circulatory problems in your left leg, your doctor has advised you to either avoid flying or, if you must, fly First Class. Well then, First Class it is. Your hometown airline – American Trans Air – does offer a daily nonstop but alas, no First Class. Same goes for Southwest which also offers a daily nonstop. Well dang! Hey! What’s this?! There are two additional airlines that also offer a single nonstop flight between Indy and Orlando and both of those flights offer First Class. Each airline operates a different aircraft type. Identify both airlines and the equipment each uses for these flights.

13. (1985) While the wife and kids fly from Orlando back home to Portland, you’ve got business in Cleveland. From your days of living in Cleveland, you recall that United is probably the airline to call. Indeed, UA does offer a nonstop from Orlando up to Cleveland but the timing doesn’t work. Thankfully, a different airline now also offers a daily nonstop flight between MCO and CLE, and the timing couldn’t be better. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying up to Cleveland.
A N S W E R E D

20. (1989) You need to fly from Newport News, VA to Orlando, FL next Wednesday. Flying anywhere out of PHF generally means a connection, so when your company’s travel office informs you that there’s now a nonstop flight departing Newport News’ Patrick Henry Field that’ll get you into Orlando in the early afternoon, you couldn’t be happier. Book it, please. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight.
It's not BN with a BAC-111

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 7, 2020 at 11:54 am
Old May 6, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, there’s a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.
9- in the early 80s I took a few United flights between Denver/DEN and Chicago/ORD that made an intermediate stop somewhere in the midwest; I imagine they had a bunch in the other direction as well, and I don't think it would have been unreasonable to see another leg both before and after ... let's try a 727-200 that put down in Wichita/ICT, making the entire trip TOL-ORD-ICT-DEN-LAS
Old May 6, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, theres a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

In the early 80s I took a few United flights between Denver/DEN and Chicago/ORD that made an intermediate stop somewhere in the midwest; I imagine they had a bunch in the other direction as well, and I don't think it would have been unreasonable to see another leg both before and after ... let's try a 727-200 that put down in Wichita/ICT, making the entire trip TOL-ORD-ICT-DEN-LAS

Way to belly up to the computer and get things rolling, J ! United is an excellent supposition out of Toledo. However, in this case we're looking for a different airline operating a different aircraft. That said, this flight did indeed route through Wichita. Two breakfasts and a snack were served along the way. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we eagerly await your next response!
Old May 6, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

9. As this flight stopped in ICT, I'm thinking this might be TWA operating a B727-100 with a routing of Toledo - St. Louis - Wichita - Albuquerque - Las Vegas.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon
9. (1979) Your meeting in Toledo went well and now, with nothing pressing on your engagement calendar for the upcoming weekend, why not head on out to Las Vegas to decompress by the poolside bar at the Tropicana? As luck would have it, theres a single daily three-stop direct flight departing Toledo tomorrow morning. Breakfast and a snack will be served along the way. Name the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops in order.

As this flight stopped in ICT, I'm thinking this might be TWAoperating a B727-100 with a routing of Toledo - St. Louis - Wichita - Albuquerque - Las Vegas.

Oh, so close! TWA is correct, as it the 727-100. Now if you just replace Albuquerque with another city, you'll be home free!
Old May 6, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. Hmmmm....well, I don't think it was Amarillo. So let's go with Phoenix as being stop # 3 instead of ABQ, Monty!
Old May 6, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

13. (1985) While the wife and kids fly from Orlando back home to Portland, you’ve got business in Cleveland. From your days of living in Cleveland, you recall that United is probably the airline to call. Indeed, UA does offer a nonstop from Orlando up to Cleveland but the timing doesn’t work. Thankfully, a different airline now also offers a daily nonstop flight between MCO and CLE, and the timing couldn’t be better. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying up to Cleveland.

13. I'll go with Midway on a 737-200

20. I will go with Air Tran also on a 737-200

Last edited by teddybear99; May 6, 2020 at 3:59 pm Reason: Decided to answer 2 questions and to conform with Flyertalk rules only do one post

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.