Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by jrl22
I'm going on fading brain power here: no back issues of OAGs, no old timetables to peruse, no google searches ...
Originally Posted by WHBM
Very good, that's really the right way to do it, like when I'm holed up in a hotel room somewhere away on business and look here. One day we'll all get together in a bar somewhere and work through a nice set of questions - and then there will be no cheating !
A big ^^ to jrl22! It's no fun to just look up the answer.

Being an aviation geek (as opposed to a true aviation historian like WHBM !) I used to pick up used OAGs from travel agencies and read through them looking for everything from where the widebodies were routed to looking for new airlines and their routes and aircraft. On a couple occasions I actually went page by page through the OAG and made a chronological record of every single flight departing DEN. I had way too much free time on my hands! Still, I had a pretty good memory and it was always fun to add to the database with a new OAG. Even now, if I were to procure a mid-sixties OAG you know I'd be pouring through it looking for where the 990s and 720s and Electras and DC-8s et al were flying to. It's still fun to give the memory banks a work out with these questions.

BTW, I got home last night. It's sunny and -5F here in Fairbanks - just perfect after perpetually muggy Jakarta last week! And now if you'll excuse me, I've got 583 new airliner postcards to sort and install in their binders.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
A big ^^ to jrl22! It's no fun to just look up the answer.

Being an aviation geek (as opposed to a true aviation historian like WHBM !) I used to pick up used OAGs from travel agencies and read through them looking for everything from where the widebodies were routed to looking for new airlines and their routes and aircraft. On a couple occasions I actually went page by page through the OAG and made a chronological record of every single flight departing DEN. I had way too much free time on my hands! Still, I had a pretty good memory and it was always fun to add to the database with a new OAG. Even now, if I were to procure a mid-sixties OAG you know I'd be pouring through it looking for where the 990s and 720s and Electras and DC-8s et al were flying to. It's still fun to give the memory banks a work out with these questions.

BTW, I got home last night. It's sunny and -5F here in Fairbanks - just perfect after perpetually muggy Jakarta last week! And now if you'll excuse me, I've got 583 new airliner postcards to sort and install in their binders.
unfortunately if you were indeed "pouring" thru an old OAG it wouldn't be very useful for very much longer

I spent far too many hours between Sep 71 and Jun 76 poring over the OAGs in my college library ... that's how I found a lot of interesting trips that I actually took, and a lot more that only resided in the land of fantasy and wishful thinking

I've mentioned a couple of the former well upthread, but here's one of the latter that might generate some interest:

What was likely the last scheduled passenger service (at least identified in the North American OAG) operated by a Lockheed Constellation? as I recall, this was in the Dec 73 - Jan 74 timeframe
Old Nov 23, 2013, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl22
I've mentioned a couple of the former well upthread, but here's one of the latter that might generate some interest:

What was likely the last scheduled passenger service (at least identified in the North American OAG) operated by a Lockheed Constellation? as I recall, this was in the Dec 73 - Jan 74 timeframe
I'm thinking it'd have to be something down in the Caribbean, maybe out of the Dominican Republic...
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
that is the one I remember

Aerovias Quisqueyana (QQ) operated a Santo Domingo DR (SDQ) to San Juan (SJU) turn with a Lockheed L-749A ... I don't think it was a daily flight, maybe 3x/week
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl22
unfortunately if you were indeed "pouring" thru an old OAG it wouldn't be very useful for very much longer
There may have been some beer spilled. Sorry - that's what I get for typing too fast!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Being an aviation geek (as opposed to a true aviation historian like WHBM !) I used to pick up used OAGs from travel agencies and read through them looking for everything.......
No, Mrs WHBM would like it to be known that Geek is the word here as well !

And seeing as I also used to pick up ABCs (the rest-of-the-world equivalent of OAG) from travel agencies when I was still in school, I can't deny it.

Last edited by WHBM; Nov 24, 2013 at 2:54 am
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Yep, I picked up out of date OAGs from travel agencies as well when I was in high school.....and if I recall correctly, I may have even been thrown out of one for being a pest and asking too many questions! Plus, at that point, I think I knew more about pax airline scheds from Houston Hobby (IAH had yet to open) than some of the travel agents!

Speaking of Hobby Airport (HOU), it was an excellent place to view airliners back in the late 1960's as the observation decks were outside on the top of the concourses. I still remember my first sightings of an American B720 (without the horizontal spike projecting forward from the top of tail), a Braniff BAC One-Eleven, a Delta CV-440, a KLM DC-8, a Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) DC-9, etc., etc......

And speaking of the first four engine Boeing jetliner, what was the purpose of the aforementioned spike on the tail of the B707 and why did some models such as certain B720s not have this spike?

I'm looking forward to the responses to this question as I'm not quite sure of the answer!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: All of them!
I thought the spike was a radio antenna.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57
I thought the spike was a radio antenna.
That's what I thought as well.....however, some B720 aircraft had this spike while others did not.......and therein lies the heart of the question.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
That's what I thought as well.....however, some B720 aircraft had this spike while others did not.......and therein lies the heart of the question.
My understanding is that it is the HF radio antenna. This is the radio used on trans-ocean flights far from any radio base. If the aircraft was not going to be used for trans-ocean flights this option was not bought.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
My understanding is that it is the HF radio antenna. This is the radio used on trans-ocean flights far from any radio base. If the aircraft was not going to be used for trans-ocean flights this option was not bought.
Ah, that makes perfect sense.....thanks, WHBM!

Looking at photos of B720 aircraft that were operated by U.S. based airlines, it appears that American (B720-023 and B720-023B equipment with the latter type being equipped with turbofan engines) and United (B720-022 aircraft) did not order their respective B720s with the HF radio antenna as none have the distinctive antenna spike......and I do not believe that AA and UA ever operated the B720 on trans-ocean routes.

However, it also appears that all of the new B720s operated by Braniff International (B720-027), Continental (B720-024B), Eastern (B720-025), Northwest (B720-051B), Pacific Northern (B720-062) and Western (B720-047B) were equipped with the HF radio antenna. Western, of course, did operate their turbofan powered B720s on nonstop trans-ocean routes between the western U.S. and Hawaii as part of their "Islander" service while I believe Braniff operated their B720s between the U.S. and Latin America.....and the few photos I've seen of Pan Am B720-030B equipment show these aircraft were equipped with the HF radio antenna as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 25, 2013 at 7:49 am Reason: Added Northwest B720 info
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by miniliq
how about VC-10s for the equipment, with British Caledonian (BR), British Airways (BA) and East African (EC) as the operators.
two of those airlines actually had different names. The timetable is April 1971. One might be straightforward, the other somewhat less so - in fact, even the timetable's got it wrong !
Just to clear up this sneaked-in supplementary, BOAC and BEA didn't merge into British Airways until 1974, so it was the former still the operator. Separately, while I think it's quite known that British United Airways (BUA) and Caledonian merged to form British Caledonian, at the end of 1970, for their first year they traded under a different name, of "Caledonian/BUA". All the BUA aircraft were repainted in the Caledonian blue/gold colours, which continued as the B. Cal scheme later, and the whole fleet got the new titles. A year later and the name was changed again to British Caledonian. The error in the timetable I was looking at was it still referred to BUA some months after the takeover.

Here's a VC-10 with Caledonian/BUA titles :

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Caled...81ceea340f17c1
Old Nov 26, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2) You have now attended your meeting in Miami in the late summer of 1994 and wish to travel to Providenciales (PLS) in the Turks and Caicos Islands. Your old sailboat buddy has just arrived at the local marina with his catamaran and it's time to go sailing! You discover there are not one but two airlines flying nonstop jet service from MIA to PLS. Name both air carriers and the different equipment types they operated on the route. ANSWERED

3) You are now back in Miami after an excellent sail trip in the Turks and Caicos Islands. You need to travel to St. Petersburg, Florida for a meeting. Now you could fly nonstop to Tampa on AA, DL or US.....but then you discover there is one airline flying nonstop jet service from Miami to St. Petersburg (PIE). Identify this airline and the aircraft type it operated on the route. ANSWERED

The following quiz items all have a time line of the fall of 1994.....

7) Only one airline was operating Fokker F28 jet service into Tallahassee (TLH) at this time. Identify the air carrier and two nonstop routes it served with the F28 from TLH. ANSWERED

8) This airline was operating daily direct jet service from Edmonton (YEG) to Des Moines (DSM). One intermediate stop was made en route. Identify the air carrier, the intermediate stop and the aircraft type. ANSWERED

9) This air carrier was operating all premium class (P) service twice a week between Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK) where one intermediate stop was made en route on this particular flight. Name the airline, the intermediate stop and the equipment flown on the route. ANSWERED

Bonus question.....

12) Identify the only airline that operated jet service on the short hop from Washington D.C. (DCA) to Baltimore (BWI) in the fall of 1994 as well as the aircraft type flown on the route.

LAST CALL for the above quiz items! And if there are no takers, I'll provide the answers tomorrow afternoon on the eve of Thanksgiving.....

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm Reason: answer update.....
Old Nov 26, 2013, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... Pan Am B720-030B ...
Pan Am's customer designator was -21; -30 is Lufthansa ... were those jets original LH orders that were ultimately delivered to (or taken up by) PA?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... fall of 1994.....
7) Only one airline was operating Fokker F28 jet service into Tallahassee (TLH) at this time. Identify the air carrier and two nonstop routes it served with the F28 from TLH.
USAir was, I believe, still operating ex-Piedmont (ex-Empire) F-28s in the southeast ... Charlotte would be an obvious route, possibly Ft Lauderdale at the other end

8) This airline was operating daily direct jet service from Edmonton (YEG) to Des Moines (DSM). One intermediate stop was made en route. Identify the air carrier, the intermediate stop and the aircraft type.
the painfully obvious guess is United via Denver, perhaps with a 737-300 ... which means one, two, or all three are likely wrong <g>

9) This air carrier was operating all premium class (P) service twice a week between Los Angeles (LAX) and New York (JFK) where one intermediate stop was made en route on this particular flight. Name the airline, the intermediate stop and the equipment flown on the route. ...
in addition to their nonstop LAX-JFK service using a 727-100, I seem to recall that MGM Grand Air had a couple flights via LAS ... and for some reason I associate a DC8-62 with MGM Grand in addition to the 727

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.