Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
one was almost certainly Pacific Northern (PNA) operating a Boeing 720B; for the other, my wild-guess meter pegs when I think Northwest, probably with a 707 (but neither a DC-8 nor an Electra is beyond the realm of possibility)
12) Well, we are looking for two other airlines here....so please try again!

And BTW: Pacific Northern never operated the Boeing 720B....they flew the "other" B720 model!

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 27, 2013 at 7:47 pm Reason: PNA info.....
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
how about Pan Am with a 707
Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl22
how about Pan Am with a 707
12) Correct! Pan American was operating a daily roundtrip flight nonstop between SEA and FAI at this time.

Which leaves just one other airline to be identified on the route. So here's a hint: the aircraft this second air carrier operated was a different jet type than the B707......
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well I live here, so I'm going to guess it was the airline that offered Golden Nugget Service and it was operating a jetliner built down the coast in San Diego.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Well I live here, so I'm going to guess it was the airline that offered Golden Nugget Service and it was operating a jetliner built down the coast in San Diego.
12) Ah, Seat 2A....I was waiting for you to chime in.....and, no doubt, you are referring to Alaska Airlines and their Convair 880 service.... which is the correct answer, of course!

The Summer/Fall of 1963 timetable for Alaska Airlines is interesting in that it appears to indicate that AS was operating exactly one roundtrip flight per day with the CV-880 system wide with a routing of SEA-FAI-ANC and return. AS 881 would depart from SEA in the evening nonstop for FAI with continuing service to ANC. AS 880 would then depart late at night from ANC to FAI with continuing redeye service featuring a very early arrival at SEA. It appears that in the summer/fall of 1963 Alaska Air did not operate the CV-880 on any flights during most of the day, and was also not flying nonstop between SEA and ANC at this time.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 30, 2013 at 7:28 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 28, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by jlemon
6) You got it, Tony! It was good old PSA!

And here's a bonus question: In the summer of 1962, Pacific Southwest was operating only four intrastate routes. One, of course, was LAX-SFO. Two other routes were one stop services and the fourth route was a nonstop that was operated on Fridays and Saturdays only. Identify these three routes flown by PSA as well as the one and only aircraft type this airline was operating at the time.
Thanks, jlemon. Answer to your bonus question. In the summer of 1962, the four routes PSA operated were the nonstop LAX-SFO, two one stop routes consisting of SAN-BUR-SFO and the other, SAN-LAX-SFO. The fourth nonstop route flying on Fridays and Saturdays (the schedule I saw showed Sundays) was SAN-SFO. All flights were operated by Lockheed "Super Electra Jets", consistent with PSA's advertising campaign at that time marketing the turboprop Electras as Jet Service.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by WHBM
OK, oddball question, because today, in Tampere, Finland, I have encountered a Starbrook Airlines DC3, which I had never heard of before. Anyone care to hazard a guess about what we were doing at the time.

As a bit of a hint, Mrs WHBM was equally interested in it !
I'll just round this pretty off-topic point out, because this is actually a reference to a brand of upscale chocolate, seemingly made in Belgium, which I have never encountered before, but which has all of its branding artwork based around a quite mythical airline of the 1950s called Starbrook Airlines

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CEEQ9QEwAw

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...ed=0CEUQ9QEwBQ

https://www.facebook.com/starbrookairlineschocolate

I haven't quite seen anything like it previously. Many of the delightful aircraft pictures, done in pen-and-ink/watercolour, are of a DC3, but there are some L-749 Constellations in the "fleet", and at least one DC6 tail. All the packaging has different pictures on different tins, packets and such like, and the last link above shows some of the design effort they go to.

Seemed quite expensive for what it was. Anyone tried the product ?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
10-B) So you are now in Buenos Aires on a Saturday afternoon in order to attend a brief but very important meeting. However, you are not through traveling yet as your business associate invites you to have dinner in Cordoba (COR)! No problem. You find a nonstop flight that departs Buenos Aires at 1800 local and arrives in Cordoba at 1910. Better yet, you'll be flying on a jet type that you've always wanted to travel on. This aircraft was also a bit of a rare bird in South America. So what air carrier and equipment will you be flying on to Cordoba?
I'll try Austral Lineas Aereas (AU) using a BAC111-500.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
11) It's the spring of 1967 and you are in Amsterdam where you have wrapped up a business meeting with a Dutch marine construction firm that will be performing project work for you. Now it's time to travel to the project site: the coast of Peru. Fortunately, good old KLM has a direct flight from Amsterdam (AMS) to Lima (LIM). So you book a first class seat on the DC-8. Then you discover something interesting: this KL flight makes no less than seven intermediate stops en route! Identify all seven stops in the order in which they were made by this direct, no change of plane flight from AMS to LIM. Partially answered
One schedule I found showed a Sunday flight KL773 AMS-FRA-ZUR-LIS-POS-CCS-CUR-PTY-LIM. The POS stop was a surprise to me.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Thanks, jlemon. Answer to your bonus question. In the summer of 1962, the four routes PSA operated were the nonstop LAX-SFO, two one stop routes consisting of SAN-BUR-SFO and the other, SAN-LAX-SFO. The fourth nonstop route flying on Fridays and Saturdays (the schedule I saw showed Sundays) was SAN-SFO. All flights were operated by Lockheed "Super Electra Jets", consistent with PSA's advertising campaign at that time marketing the turboprop Electras as Jet Service.
Correct! And back around this time, I took my first airline flight ever. The roundtrip on a PSA L-188 Electra from LAX to SFO and back again was a birthday present from my parents in order to visit my aunt & uncle in the Bay Area. I was 11 years old and flew by myself as unaccompanied minor.....

Which engenders a hopefully fun question that's not quite a quiz item but may be of interest to followers of this thread nonetheless:

When and on what airline was your first flight?

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 29, 2013 at 8:22 am Reason: A hopefully fun question.....
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
I'll try Austral Lineas Aereas (AU) using a BAC111-500.
10-B) Correct! It was Austral with a stretched BAC One-Eleven series 500.....
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:24 am

13) In the early spring of 1975, this air carrier was operating direct, no change of plane service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Knoxville (TYS) twice a day. One flight was one stop service while the other flight made two intermediate stops en route. Name the airline, the equipment it flew on the service (hint: it was the same aircraft type) and the intermediate stops made by both flights.
This is a bit of a guess -- I'll go with United, 727s, and for routing I'll say LAX-MEM-CHA-TYS and LAX-MEM-TYS.

And now Jeff I need to sign you up to come do my lawn while I'm gone Saturday for a couple of weeks -- my business travel dropped precipitously this year, so I'm "forced" (how I rationalize) to do some intense travel to maintain 1k status -- I've booked 39,800 miles from Nov 2-16, two domestic MRs, and one to PEK (msy-den-lga/jfk-sfo-pek and back), where I've never been, for a couple of days of sightseeing. I will be home for a couple of nights during the two-week period, but sure won't feel like doing yard work!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One schedule I found showed a Sunday flight KL773 AMS-FRA-ZUR-LIS-POS-CCS-CUR-PTY-LIM. The POS stop was a surprise to me.
11) Correct once again! KL 773 departed AMS on Sundays at 2045 and arrived at SCL the next day at 1450......
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a bit of a guess -- I'll go with United, 727s, and for routing I'll say LAX-MEM-CHA-TYS and LAX-MEM-TYS.

And now Jeff I need to sign you up to come do my lawn while I'm gone Saturday for a couple of weeks -- my business travel dropped precipitously this year, so I'm "forced" (how I rationalize) to do some intense travel to maintain 1k status -- I've booked 39,800 miles from Nov 2-16, two domestic MRs, and one to PEK (msy-den-lga/jfk-sfo-pek and back), where I've never been, for a couple of days of sightseeing. I will be home for a couple of nights during the two-week period, but sure won't feel like doing yard work!
13) United with B727-100 service is correct! And your routings may be correct as well but I'll need to check my old OAG when I get home tonight in order to verify.....

As for your lawn servicing requirement, I've got my hands full with our little ol' acre....and, in fact, I pressure washed our large wooden deck in the backyard this past weekend which meant I never did get around to mowing the lawn what with various football games as well as the rain we experienced on Sunday......

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 29, 2013 at 3:15 pm
Old Oct 29, 2013, 9:01 am

Which engenders a hopefully fun question that's not quite a quiz item but may be of interest to followers of this thread nonetheless:

When and on what airline was your first flight?
I suspect I may have answered this in various previous threads, but it's still enjoyable to reminisce:
First flight -- April, 1954 -- passenger on a private plane, a Fleet Model 80 Canuck joyriding around YXD.
First scheduled flight: 1958 (date uncertain) Trans Canada Airlines (TCA) YXD-YYZ on a Lockheed Super Constellation for a job interview.
First international flight -- 8/8/64 Viasa on a Convair 880, MSY-Maracaibo (MAR).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.