Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
It's not the airline name, but the "Jersey, Channel Islands (UK)" bit, because I regret to inform the team that not only are the Channel Islands decidedly not in the UK, but it is a cause of some political dismay whenever they are referred to as such.
As I stated up thread, I continue to learn something new almost each and every day.......

My grandfather's ancestors on my mother's side of the family came from Jersey. And I just happen to resemble my Mom's dad quite closely.

Therefore, I would love to visit Jersey some fine day. Perhaps after a sojourn to the London area where a number of fine ales, porters and stouts will be enjoyed in tandem with visits to view classic British jet and turboprop airliners.....

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
#58 - TWA
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
... AS 1867: SEA-SIT-JNU-YAK-CDV-ANC-UNK-OME-OTZ ...
so this was 1969: I honestly can't remember many US domestic four-digit flight numbers in this timeframe ... seems like almost all have had four digits since about 1999

anyone else among the history buffs have any thoughts or insights?

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 2, 2013 at 7:50 am
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by 253danielc
#16....
You missed Cascade Airways, based at GEG, flew two -200s and two-400s [ex=AA] in the early to mid-80s. I know. I worked there.
Dan
Hello 253D, and welcome to our little thread here. Anyone who worked on the One-Eleven is a friend of ours, and I'm wondering if you have any interesting experiences of our "Bus-Stop Jet" to share.

Just trivia, but I believe you had three series 200, and the two series 400. The 200s were from the real pioneer batch of the aircraft, ordered by Freddie Laker when he was in charge at British United. They had moved on to British Caledonian, then were sold to Pacific Express for a couple of years, when they ceased operations Cascade took them, then they went on to Florida Express, then to Braniff Mk 2, and this got them to 1990. Two were then scrapped but the third escaped to Africa, ending up in the Congo where it seems to have faded away some time in the late 1990s (British Aerospace rather lost touch with these ones in darkest Africa over time).

I see that Cascade also leased the aircraft out to various other operators for a month or two during their tenure, which rather points to them not having had enough work for them.

Your two series 400s were former American Airlines, then sold after just a few years (which American later went on record as regretting), in their case both to Bahamasair, where they spent 11 years in a colourful livery, then to Cascade, on afterwards to Air Illinois, some corporate owners, and then ended up together at Guatemalan operator Tikal Jets. We seem to have mentioned many of these operators upthread at various times.

Last edited by WHBM; Dec 2, 2013 at 5:39 am
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by 253danielc
#16....
You missed Cascade Airways, based at GEG, flew two -200s and two-400s [ex=AA] in the early to mid-80s. I know. I worked there.
Dan
And an additional question: didn't Cascade (CZ) have a maintenance facility at one point located in Walla Walla, WA (ALW) where work was performed on the BAC One-Eleven?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

Your two series 400s were former American Airlines, then sold after just a few years (which American later went on record as regretting), in their case both to Bahamasair, where they spent 11 years in a colourful livery, then to Cascade, on afterwards to Air Illinois, some corporate owners, and then ended up together at Guatemalan operator Tikal Jets. We seem to have mentioned many of these operators upthread at various times.
Back in the early 70's, I was flying via a standby youth fare ticket from Memphis to Dallas on Braniff International with intermediate stops in Little Rock, Fort Smith and Tulsa. During the stop in LIT, I was asked to move from coach to first class as Y was going to be full. This I gladly did. The aircraft was a BAC One-Eleven. We then took off for Fort Smith, Tulsa and Dallas.

During the stop in Tulsa (which is home to major American Airlines maintenance base), I saw something very interesting: what looked to be the entire AA BAC One-Eleven fleet parked in front of the AA maintenance facility. American had apparently just removed the iconic British twinjet from their fleet......
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:02 am

My grandfather's ancestors on my mother's side of the family came from Jersey. And I just happen to resemble my Mom's dad quite closely.

Therefore, I would love to visit Jersey some fine day.
This is just a trivial sideline.

Jersey was a common holiday resort when I was a kid. There were still restrictions on how much money you could take 'abroad', so as Jersey uses British money there was an advantage here, you could spend what you liked. We went, alas, by ship, from the harbour town of Weymouth, it was about 6 hours across the sea. Those were the days just before proper car ferries, and I recall my grandfather's car, along with a few others, being craned aboard one at a time, where they were just put down on the open deck in various places. There is a half-French culture there plus the tax-free atmosphere, many went to enjoy cheap alcohol prices; of course I was too young to appreciate this. However, a couple of elderly lady relatives came over two days later by plane and we picked them up from the airport, maybe the first airport I ever visited; subsequent investigation leads me to believe they travelled with Jersey Airlines, part of British United, on a De Havilland Heron from Exeter. The arrived completely deaf; they always were somewhat this way but the Heron was unpressurised and they had been badly affected, and shouted at us all for the rest of the day.

Fast forward to just a couple of years ago. I had done a lot of travelling on BA, the Gulf multiple times, USA trips, etc, and for those from the US you would not believe how challenging it is to get status on BA. From lowly Blue I had got Bronze, and had got just so VERY nearly to Silver (free lounge, etc). The BA Tier Points are zeroed every 12 months and this was a couple of weeks away. The best thing to do was a Mileage Run in Business Class from London Gatwick to Jersey, so I planned a day trip there just in time, with a day's interesting activities around the island.

Then Mrs WHBM came and told me the news about what you can read about in post #3788 above, towards the beginning of the third paragraph, and all thoughts of the Mileage Run just sort of evaporated ......... so I still haven't been there since being a kid. And to cap it all, I've since been knocked back down to Blue again.

Sorry, all. Now back to One-Elevens.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here I take a day off to drive down to Denali and watch some football (Broncos beat K.C.!) and look what I miss! It's always interesting and entertaining to read and enjoy the exchange of information on this thread. Thank you one and all!

Between working on a 60000+ word trip report, delivering neighbors to the airport, dealing with wildlife issues in and around my cabin (a moose temporarily took up residence in my drive and would not allow me to get to my truck) and now jury duty, I've been busy - but not so busy that I couldn't come up with a few more questions for this thread. Thanks again to jlemon for all of his hard work in coming up with new questions over the past four or five weeks. ^^

Welcome to any and all new participants! As always, please limit your answers to two or three questions at a time so that others may also have a chance to participate.

The following 10 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1966 International OAG

1. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 880s between Hong Kong and Taipei A N S W E R E D

2. What was the only airline operating scheduled DC-9 flights to/from Africa? As an added bonus, what three cities were served by those DC-9s? (Hint: They were in northern Africa) A N S W E R E D

3. SAS operated one stop DC-8 service between Copenhagen and Los Angeles. Where did that flight make an enroute stop? A N S W E R E D

4. Name the seven airlines that operated scheduled Comet service to/from London Heathrow. A N S W E R E D

5. What was Korean Air Lines’ only international route from Seoul? What type of aircraft did they use?

6. This west Asian airline offered the only scheduled jet service from Shanghai and Canton, China. What airline was it? Added bonus if you can say where it flew to.

7. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 990s into Rio de Janeiro.

8. Name the two airlines that operated Caravelles from Rio de Janeiro

9. This African airline offered nonstop Bristol Brittania flights between this west African city and London, Heathrow.

10. Beirut was a bit of a hotbed for Boeing 720B services. Name the four airlines that served Beirut with the 720B.
(Still looking for two more airlines...)

* * * x x x x x x x x x x x * * *

11. What well known South American airline’s acronym loosely translates into Rio Grande Airlines?

12. What U.S. passenger airline only operated its L-188 Lockheed Electras for cargo, not passengers? A N S W E R E D

13. What made the 707-420 different? Name five airlines that ordered it. PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
(The difference has been established, and we know that BOAC and Air India flew the -400s. We need three more airlines...)

14. Which major U.S. airline ordered Boeing 720s before it ordered 707s? PARTIALLY A N S W E R E D
(Western has been acknowledged as one of the airlines. There's one more...)

15. This jet airplane was originally named the “Skylark”. What better known name was it later given? A N S W E R E D
(What was another pre-production name given to the 880?)

16. In 1977 this became the first airliner to carry over one billion passengers.

17. What was advertised as “The Most Exclusive Address in The Sky”? What was the address? A N S W E R E D

18. This aircraft’s prototype was known as the “367-80”. What was this aircraft better known as? A N S W E R E D

19. What airline was the world’s largest operator of Boeing 727-200s?

20. How did the Convair 240 get its name? i.e. What did the “240” represent? A N S W E R E D

The following 10 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1970 North American OAG

21. What was Allegheny Airlines' only international route? A N S W E R E D

22. Name the seven U.S. airlines that flew between the U.S. and Mexico A N S W E R E D

23. Even though Guadalajara is Mexico’s 2nd largest city, it had only three flights – one each – to three different cities in the United States. Each of these flights was operated by a different airline with different types of equipment. Identify the airlines, the routes and the aircraft used.

24. What was different and unique about Braniff’s original factory delivered 707s?

25. What was the only airline serving Hobbs, New Mexico A N S W E R E D

26. What was Pacific Western Airlines’ only international route? A N S W E R E D

27. While Anchorage was a major refueling point for international flights between Europe and Asia, only two airlines operated international flights from Fairbanks. Identify the airlines and the routes flown.

28. In 1957 this team bought a commercial airliner direct from the manufacturer and became first in baseball team history to own their own airliner to transport the team. What team was it and what kind of airliner was it? A N S W E R E D

29. Although only three Canadian airlines served the U.S. in 1970, nine U.S. airlines served Canada. Identify the nine U.S. airlines. A N S W E R E D

30. Pan American operated a single daily flight from New Orleans. Where did it fly to and what type of equipment was used? A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:00 am
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

12. What U.S. passenger airline only operated its L-188 Lockheed Electras for cargo, not passengers?

25. What was the only airline serving Hobbs, New Mexico?

28. In 1957 this team bought a commercial airliner direct from the manufacturer and became first in baseball team history to own their own airliner to transport the team. What team was it and what kind of airliner was it?
Excellent questions from our man in Alaska! And I'm really looking forward to your next tour de force trip report, Seat 2A!

I'll kick things off here with my best guesses for the three quiz items above with no reference material consulted beforehand.....

12. Hawaiian Airlines (HA)

25. Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) with Convair 600 turboprop equipment...or was it Texas International (TI) by that time?

28. A Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprop owned by the Los Angeles Dodgers. When I was a kid growing up in southern California, my grandfather would take me to Dodger Stadium for the home games....

And as for obstreperous moose, I remember the day I was trying to catch the Alaska Air B737-200 combi flight in Cordova over to Anchorage. A very large bull moose was in the middle of the one and only road leading to the airport and would not move for love, money or pie (as Mark Twain might say). I darned near missed the AS flight as it took some time for that mountain of an animal to get the heck out of the way.....

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm Reason: TTa....or TI?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: All of them!
#17--I will guess it was "747 Braniff Place".
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I'll kick things off here with my best guesses for the three quiz items above with no reference material consulted beforehand..... (^ ^)

12. What U.S. passenger airline only operated its L-188 Lockheed Electras for cargo, not passengers?

Hawaiian Airlines (HA) Correct!

I remember seeing Hawaiian Air L-188s sitting in Denver and Los Angeles. Never saw one in Hawaii though... Makes me wonder if they were doing contract work...

25. What was the only airline serving Hobbs, New Mexico?

Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) with Convair 600 turboprop equipment...or was it Texas International (TI) by that time?

The two-letter code was TT but the airline was indeed Texas International by that time. And you are also correct - the aircraft was the Convair 600. If I remember correctly, TT's CV-600s boarded on the right hand side of the airplane!

28. In 1957 this team bought a commercial airliner direct from the manufacturer and became first in baseball team history to own their own airliner to transport the team. What team was it and what kind of airliner was it?

A Lockheed L-188 Electra turboprop owned by the Los Angeles Dodgers. When I was a kid growing up in southern California, my grandfather would take me to Dodger Stadium for the home games....

You are correct about the Dodgers, but Walter O'Malley purchased a Convair 440 when the team was still the Brooklyn Dodgers. They moved out to Los Angeles just prior to the 1958 season!

You can read more about this right HERE
Originally Posted by cs57
17. What was advertised as “The Most Exclusive Address in The Sky”? What was the address?

I will guess it was "747 Braniff Place".

And you would be correct, sir! N601BN was also known as The Great Pumpkin and Fat Albert. It was the 100th 747 ever built. N601BN on average achieved a daily utilization rate of 15.5 hours which was a record for the type for many years.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 2, 2013 at 3:33 pm
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent information concerning the Los Angeles Dodgers aviation transportation dept. ^

Looks like the Dodgers did not transition to the Electra II until November of 1961 and the airplane came used from Western.....
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
The following 10 questions are based upon schedules published in a 1966 International OAG

1. Name the three airlines that operated Convair 880s between Hong Kong and Taipei
CAT, Cathay, JAL

2. What was the only airline operating scheduled DC-9 flights to/from Africa? As an added bonus, what three cities were served by those DC-9s? (Hint: They were in northern Africa)
Probably KLM. Two of them likely Tunis and Tripoli. I think the only other possible contender so early in DC9 production could have been Swissair, and they used theirs on short routes only.

3. SAS operated one stop DC-8 service between Copenhagen and Los Angeles. Where did that flight make an enroute stop?
Seattle

4. Name the seven airlines that operated scheduled Comet service to/from London Heathrow.
Ah, that depends on when in 1966. I'll leave this one to others though.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:33 pm

Hawaiian Airlines (HA) Correct!

I remember seeing Hawaiian Air L-188s sitting in Denver and Los Angeles. Never saw one in Hawaii though... Makes me wonder if they were doing contract work...
I believe the bulk of the Hawaiian Electra freighters never saw Hawaii, but did regular contract work for freight forwarders and the military on the mainland. They were based in, of all places, Macon GA.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: All of them!
#13-The 707-420 was powered by Rolls-Royce engines. The type was operated by BOAC (BA) Air India, South African Airways, Qantas, and I believe Cathay Pacific.

In 1974, I took a Conway powered BA 707 r/t YUL/PIK/YUL as part of a student trip to Scotland. At Prestwick on the return trip was a VC10 next to us going to JFK (or BOS).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.