Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
26. Well, the National timetable lists NA #1 as being operated with a "Super DC-8" as opposed to other flights which were operated with "DC-8" aircraft....

So it appears that National flight #1 was operated with a Super DC-8-61.....
and once again I get smacked down by interpolating between two artifacts on timetableimages ... both Apr 67 and Jul 69 show NA 1 as a DC-8, and the latter has other flights identified as "Super DC-8"
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
this isn't a quiz question per se, because I only know two answers from personal experience and I suspect there are probably as many as a dozen out there: besides BUR, what were some other U.S. cities not on a high-volume or high-frequency route from a hub that occasionally saw scheduled 767 service?

"non-hub" -- I'm not looking for route examples like Delta 767s ATL-MCO/TPA or similar ... my two examples are DEN-LGB (UA) and STL-DAY (TW)
A few years ago, /American used to schedule a 767 into Steamboat Springs, CO from Newark on a winter seasonal service. TWA has operated a 767-200 on the STL-ABQ run, and I've flown upon United 767-200s on DEN/ORD to ANC --> FAI as well as DEN to OMA.

Additionally, I seem to recall (but won't say with certainty) that American has scheduled 767s between Dallas and AUS/SAT at one time or another. Also, I think UA once flew one on the DEN-MCI route.

and once again I get smacked down by interpolating between two artifacts on timetableimages ... both Apr 67 and Jul 69 show NA 1 as a DC-8, and the latter has other flights identified as "Super DC-8"
Of course, the real trick is to attempt to answer using only bits and pieces of airline minutiae lodged in your memory banks over the years...

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 23, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
and we of course know about TW SEA-PDX (one of my first posts in this thread, just over a year ago)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I vaguely recall that SO operated a DC9 between Washington Dulles (IAD) and Columbus GA (CSG) ... I want to say this flight came into being as an attempt to attract government contract travelers on Army business: CSG is the home of Ft Benning, and I think it continued to Dothan AL (DHN) which is the home of Ft Rucker

SO's jet service from their ATL hub to other Peach State cities probably included Augusta (AGS) and Macon (MCN) ... Albany (ABY) is another candidate
37. And some of these Southern flights which actually originated at New York LaGuardia would continue on to Eglin Air Force Base (VPS) as well. Here's a sched example from 1978....

SO 413: New York LaGuardia (LGA) - Washington Dulles (IAD) - Columbus (CSG) - Dothan (DHN) - Eglin Air Force Base (VPS)
Op: Daily
Equip: DC9

It appears that Southern was attempting to operate a "hub bypass" service (the hub being the Delta operation at ATL) with flights from New York and Washington D.C. to smaller destinations in the south and southeast. Here's another sched example from this same time....

SO 419: LGA-IAD-CSG-MOB-MSY
Op: Daily
Equip: DC9

As for your other answers, Albany, GA (ABY) is correct; however, Augusta and Macon are incorrect.....so we are looking for just one more destination in the great state of "Joh-juh" here.....

Plus, when we do discover the name of this exotic location, it just may be time for yet another follow up quiz item concerning a DC9 milk run routing operated by Southern.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 23, 2014 at 2:35 pm Reason: impending SO milk run quiz item
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
A few years ago, /American used to schedule a 767 into Steamboat Springs, CO from Newark on a winter seasonal service.

Additionally, I seem to recall (but won't say with certainty) that American has scheduled 767s between Dallas and AUS/SAT at one time or another.
Continental also operated a seasonal Newark-Steamboat Springs nonstop with a B767-200 on the weekends during the winter months at one point.

And I can confirm that American operated the 767 nonstop between Dallas/Ft. Worth and Austin in the past (in addition to flying the DC-10 nonstop DFW-AUS at this same time).

Plus, I think United actually operated B767-200 service nonstop between Long Beach (LGB) and Denver (DEN) at one point.....did we not have a quiz question concerning this quite some time ago?

I also recall Pacific Western operating a B767-200 on a routing of Vancouver (YVR) - Calgary (YYC) - Regina (YQR) - Winnipeg (YWG)......

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 23, 2014 at 2:27 pm Reason: one more possible 767 route
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've flown upon United 767-200s on DEN/ORD to ANC --> FAI as well as DEN to OMA.
Delta used to operate 767s between SLC and ANC. I also remember a DFW-DEN-SLC route on the 767 on DL as I made the mistake of accidentally booking on that flight once giving me 3 stops between where I live now and my former home.

However, I don't know that during the summer, at least, that the ANC routes wouldn't be considered high volume.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Oh no, keep on going about whatever. After all, if we didn't veer off-topic we'd never have got into lawnmower reports and all the rest of the stuff our quiz items steal a little space from....
Indeed! I mean, good Lord, where would we be without color commentary concerning microbrewed IPAs, Porters and Stouts here in the colonies?! Not to mention Cajun Bloody Marys....and just wait until I unveil my new recipe for a Cajun Vodka Martini!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA
just wait until I unveil my new recipe for a Cajun Vodka Martini!
Guard your language, sir, if you please ! There may be Women reading this thread. Vodka Martini ? Whatever next. Martinis are made with finest London Gin, just the right proportion of vermouth, ice, piece of lemon peel. Shaken ..... no, you all know that one. Look, Hemingway always made it with gin.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Guard your language, sir, if you please ! There may be Women reading this thread. Vodka Martini ? Whatever next. Martinis are made with finest London Gin, just the right proportion of vermouth, ice, piece of lemon peel. Shaken ..... no, you all know that one. Look, Hemingway always made it with gin.
And my dear old Mom (alas, she is no longer with us) would definitely agree with you, sir! She always prepared her Martinis with the finest London Gin just as you describe. I believe she learned how to do so whilst attending Stanford out there on the left coast just south of The City....

However, here in Louisiana, things can be a bit different. Perhaps it's the descendants of the French colonists in Acadiana .....always a bit revolutionary, you see....and a secret, exotic ingredient (locally produced, of course) that makes for a truly sensational Vodka Martini...... :-:

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 23, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
46. Laurel (LUL) is correct; however, the other intermediate stop was not Meridian (MEI).....so just one more destination remains to be identified here.
And the answer is ... drum roll ... HBG (Hattiesburg). By coincidence, we were just there two weekends ago, but it still took some browsing through old OAGs to figure out it was the missing link.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
As for your other answers, Albany, GA (ABY) is correct; however, Augusta and Macon are incorrect.....so we are looking for just one more destination in the great state of "Joh-juh" here.....

Plus, when we do discover the name of this exotic location, it just may be time for yet another follow up quiz item concerning a DC9 milk run routing operated by Southern.....
How about Athens (AHN)?
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
And the answer is ... drum roll ... HBG (Hattiesburg). By coincidence, we were just there two weekends ago, but it still took some browsing through old OAGs to figure out it was the missing link.
46. Correct! Here's the sched for this "Southern Belle" milk run featuring no less than six stops in the great state of Mississippi....

SO 836: New Orleans 3:00p - 3:40p Hattiesburg 3:50p - 4:07p Laurel 4:17p - 4:59p Natchez 5:09p - 5:42p Jackson 5:57p - - 6:27p Greenwood 6:37p - 7:06p University/Oxford 7:16p - 7:39p Memphis

Op: Daily except Saturdays

Equip: Martin 404

And now it's time for the last bonus quiz item in my current set....

At this same time back in 1973 when Southern was operating the above multistop flight from New Orleans to Memphis, the airline was also operating direct DC9 service from St. Louis to New York LaGuardia. Six intermediate stops were made en route on this rather circuitous flight. Identify all six stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 30, 2014 at 8:08 pm Reason: additional quiz info & answer update
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miniliq
How about Athens (AHN)?
37. Well, no, and I do not believe that Southern ever operated the DC9 into Athens. I believe they actually downgauged the equipment on the ATL-AHN route from a Martin 404 to a Swearingen Metro II at one point.....

So we are still looking for one more destination in Georgia that had SO DC9 service in 1978. And this small city was served in tandem with Albany, GA.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 24, 2014 at 11:34 am Reason: clarification
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

46. ... "Southern Belle" milk run ...

SO 836: New Orleans 3:00p - 3:40p Hattiesburg 3:50p - 4;07p Laurel 4:17p - 4:59p Natchez 5:09p - 5:42p Jackson 5:57p - - 6:27p Greenwood 6:37p - 7:06p University/Oxford 7:16p - 7:39p Memphis
we talked briefly about quick turns in the discussion of a NW Electra transcon last week (posts 5138 and 5140) ... five of the six stops on this SO trip have only 10-minute ground times; I'd suspect that the extra five minutes at JAN was to refuel

... two artifacts on timetableimages...
...Of course, the real trick is to attempt to answer using only bits and pieces of airline minutiae lodged in your memory banks over the years...
I'm quite confident that the real OTA&AQ gurus ... without resorting to digging through their timetable/OAG collections or virtual resources ... can cite a number of instances of milk-run flights with even shorter stops
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Wild guess time on this Southern Airways thing - and only because I remember driving through there many years ago and the fact that it ain't all that far from Albany...

How 'bout Valdosta?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.