Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I seem to remember, from doing some actual flying out of the place and looking up some history, that Northwest was one of the old users of St Petersburg airport instead of Tampa.

Regarding the other stop, I can't see it being anywhere other than MSP.
Whoops! My mistake, gentlemen! In responding to Seat 2A, I should have stated the stop was not Tampa instead of Fort Lauderdale. My apologies as FLL was definitely served by this NW flight operated with an Electra.

And St. Petersburg (PIE) is correct with regard to the missing Florida stop.

However, the stop between Seattle and Chicago Midway was not Minneapolis/St. Paul.....
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I suspect WHBM's on to it with the MSP and PIE stops - but then with the removal of Ft. Lauderdale we have only four stops - so were I to add one more, I'd go with... Billings. As such, we'd be left with this five stop routing:

Seattle - Billings - Minneapolis - Chicago Midway - Atlanta - St. Petersburg - Miami.
Nope, Billings and Minneapolis were not served by this flight. So here's what we know about the routing at present:

Seattle - __________ - Chicago Midway - Atlanta - St. Petersburg - Fort Lauderdale - Miami
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
as Spokane was also eliminated recently, that pretty much leaves Portland (PDX) as the remaining viable option
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
as Spokane was also eliminated recently, that pretty much leaves Portland (PDX) as the remaining viable option
3. Correct.....and here's the complete eastbound (and southbound) sched....

NW 78: Seattle 6:20a - 7:05a Portland 7:30a - 3:40p Chicago Midway* 4:05p - 6:15p Atlanta 6:45p - 8:15p St. Petersburg 8:35p - 9:25p Fort Lauderdale** 9:45p - 10:00p Miami

Op: Daily

Equip: Electra

Classes of service: First and coach (F/T)

On board service:

IMPERIAL SERVICE in F - "Complimentary champagne or imported wine is served with meals or with special snack trays."

CORONATION COACH in T - "Fast, comfortable, radar equipped and pressurized equipment. Complimentary meals served at regular meal times. Beverage service available."

Notes:

* - Connecting helicopter service available to and from Midway Airport in the Chicago area.

** - No local passenger traffic transported on the following itineraries: ATL-FLL, PIE-FLL or FLL-MIA

Also of note: Northwest was not operating any jet equipment at this time although new DC8s and B720Bs were on the way. For example, NW was flying U.S.-Asia service primarily with the Douglas DC-7C and was also operating Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, Douglas DC-6B and Douglas DC-4 equipment back then as well.

Thus, according to their May 22, 1960 system timetable, the Electra was the most modern and only turbine powered aircraft in the Northwest fleet at this time.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 28, 2014 at 10:28 am Reason: additional info & spelling
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
48. During the winter of 1976, this airline was operating round trip nonstop jet service between Omaha and Colorado Springs twice a week on Thursdays and Sundays only. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

Well the CAB was still in existence back then, so I'm thinking it must've been a long established airline - more than likely one that served both COS and OMA (Though I can offer no particularly compelling logic to back that assertion up - just a gut feeling, I reckon) - Continental served COS but not OMA and United served OMA but not COS, so ah mon go wit Frontier, operating a 737-200.
48. Here are the round trip Frontier scheds....

FL 400: Las Vegas 10:10a - 12:33p Colorado Springs 12:53p - 3:16p Omaha
Op: Thursdays and Sundays only
Equip: Boeing 737-200

FL 407: Omaha 3:41p - 4:11p Colorado Springs 4:31p - 4:56p Las Vegas
Op: Thursdays and Sundays only
Equip: Boeing 737-200

I had initially thought this round trip service might have been operated only during the winter ski season ....however, in view of the Las Vegas portion of these routings, perhaps these flights were aimed more at the gambling crowd.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 27, 2014 at 4:40 pm
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duplicate post....
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

14. In 1964, Iran Air was cooperating with a western European airline for joint services between Teheran and three destinations in Europe. Identify this airline, the three destinations and the aircraft type flown on the service. ANSWERED

19. Eastern Airlines was known for its Boeing 727 and Douglas DC9 "Whisper Jets". There was also another airline in another part of the world that used a variation of the word "whisper" to describe its 727s and DC9s. Identify this air carrier and the specific name it used to describe its jet equipment that contained a variation of the word "whisper". ANSWERED

26. National Airlines flight #1 was operated nonstop between two destinations at this time. Name both airports and also identify the equipment flown on the service. In addition, National had a special name for this flight. What was it? Partially answered - Super DC-8-61, JFK to MIA - still looking for the special name of this flight
ANSWERED
Good Saturday Morning All!

Just a few quiz items remain unanswered on this soggy Saturday morning.....we've had rain every day since last Tuesday with a combined precip total of just over 4 and 1/2 inches here at the house.

Yesterday, a 55,000 foot tall super cell thunderstorm developed to our west here in south Louisiana and spawned several tornadoes. Fortunately, they touched down in relatively unpopulated areas causing little damage and no injuries.....

And most thankfully, the Gulf of Mexico has remained quiet thus far this season with regard to organized tropical storm activity.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 30, 2014 at 8:00 pm
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50. The January 15, 1977 Hughes Airwest system timetable contains connecting flight information for six other airlines including two air carriers that operated jet equipment. Identify both of the airlines that operated jets where connections were listed to and from Hughes Airwest flights. Hint: one airline operated 727s and the other airline operated 737s.... ANSWERED
Plus, this quiz item remains unanswered as well.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 30, 2014 at 8:09 pm Reason: included a hint & answer update
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And now it's time for the last bonus quiz item in my current set....

In 1973, Southern Airways was operating direct DC9 service from St. Louis to New York LaGuardia. Six intermediate stops were made en route on this rather circuitous flight. Identify all six stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED
And this bonus quiz item is still looking for an answer, too......

Hmmmm.....should I now attempt to mow the lawn or should I continue to sip on my Community coffee with Baileys and contemplate what the weather might or might not do today.......

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 30, 2014 at 8:09 pm Reason: answer update
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Option #2 sounds good to me.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
Option #2 sounds good to me.
Well, I certainly thought so.....until a slender, long haired, blue eyed Cajun wench (my fiancee) suggested that it might be a good idea to get that old lawn mowed before it starts raining again.

So I caved and got it done. And just in time as thundershowers have developed in the coastal marshes down by the Gulf and are now moving this way.

And I now have another excellent idea: try one of those new IPAs from Anchor Brewing Company out there in The City....properly chilled, of course. @:-) :-:
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Ah sweah, jlemon! Yew spend more tahm mowin' that durned lawn... Remind me not t' git whatever in tarnation's type o' grass y'all got down theah in Lafayette! Lahd Almighty!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
3. Correct.....and here's the complete eastbound (and southbound) sched....

NW 78: Seattle 6:20a - 7:05a Portland 7:30a - 3:40p Chicago Midway* 4:05p - 6:15p Atlanta 6:45p - 8:15p St. Petersburg 8:35p - 9:25p Fort Lauderdale** 9:45p - 10:00p Miami

Notes:

* - Connecting helicopter service available to and from Midway Airport in the Chicago area.
How common were the helicopter shuttles in the early 1960s? As mentioned earlier I took one from IDL to EWR in 1963 coming in on a charter and leaving on Mohawk, so they seem to have been offered to all comers. And mine was free, though that may have been because it was an international arrival. Doesn't qualify as a quiz question since I don't know the answer!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by MADPhil
How common were the helicopter shuttles in the early 1960s? As mentioned earlier I took one from IDL to EWR in 1963 coming in on a charter and leaving on Mohawk, so they seem to have been offered to all comers. And mine was free, though that may have been because it was an international arrival. Doesn't qualify as a quiz question since I don't know the answer!
That's fine as a question, and I'm sure our resident helicopter expert will be along soon to discuss. Most of the major US metropolitan areas seem to have had such services at this time, came in the 1950s and died out in the late 1960s, mainly focused on airports rather than downtown. New York, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and others all had them. We've picked off a couple of these at past times in the quiz here.

I seem to recall that Chuck and P.T. may have sometimes taken passengers on their service as well

The most extensive operation, also at this time, was however the Sabena scheduled operation from Brussels, which extended across four countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, France). It, like many of the US operations, used Sikorsky S-58s as the main type, on quite lengthy runs of a couple of hours, like Brussels to Paris, although it had a very competitive speed against the Sabena Convair 440 doing airport-to-airport. One of the issues with short-distance helicopter operations is that, where a typical short-haul airline flight may have half it's load headed for the city centre, and the other half connecting at the airport, with helicopters that can serve both it becomes difficult to do it with just one flight.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
One of the issues with short-distance helicopter operations is that, where a typical short-haul airline flight may have half it's load headed for the city centre, and the other half connecting at the airport, with helicopters that can serve both it becomes difficult to do it with just one flight.
The IDL-EWR one was probably one of the better routes as it stopped at the Wall Street heliport and could pick up high value trade in all directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.