Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5- we have established that HSV-EWR wasn't an EA milk run in 1965, and I can't place Delta in HSV at that time ... so perhaps this was UA operating what used to be some Capital Airlines segments, such as HSV - Chattanooga (CHA) - Knoxville (TYS) - Washington National (DCA) - EWR, and of course using an ex-Capital Viscount
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
13: that cements the operator as National; I'd venture that four of the stops were
  • Jacksonville (JAX)
  • Washington National (DCA)
  • JFK
  • Providence (PVD)
I can see two possibilities for the first part of the route
  • Mobile (MOB) / JAX / Charleston (CHS)
  • Tampa (TPA) / Orlando (MCO) / JAX
of these, I think the latter is more likely
13. National is correct; however, we are looking for the exact order of the six intermediate stops.

And with that, I'm off on a whirlwind business trip (we are flying to a meeting in a Bell 407 helicopter) so I will respond to your other answers hopefully this evening.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL, AA
23. In the spring of 1985, Frontier Airlines was operating nonstop Boeing 737-200 service from Midland/Odessa (MAF) to three different destinations. Identify all three.
How about ABQ, HOU and of course DEN.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
19. In the spring of 1976, this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Kingston (KIN) and Belize (BZE) with a jet aircraft type. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

Wild guess time... since Belize was once British Honduras, let's go with British Airways with a VC10.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
And with that, I'm off on a whirlwind business trip (we are flying to a meeting in a Bell 407 helicopter) .
Don't you wish you were going in a proper Whirlwind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westlan...nd_(helicopter)

The last of these I recall was back in university days when RAF ones would land about 200 yds from our apartment in Edinburgh doing a Medevac from somewhere to the main city hospital. They were periodic visitors for this purpose while we were there.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
40: MIA <--> NYC:
how about another major (American, MD-11 and 767-300) and another post-deregulation startup (Carnival, A300)
40. Let's recap here.....

Tower Air with a B747 - correct!

TWA with a L-1011 - correct!

And now to your latest answers.....

American with the MD-11 is correct (with two daily round trip MIA-JFK flights); however, AA with a 763 is incorrect.

Carnival Air Lines (KW) is correct; however, the aircraft was not an A300.

So here's a hint: although the flight in question was operated with a KW flight number, the actual operator was another airline with an aircraft type that was never flown by Carnival.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5- we have established that HSV-EWR wasn't an EA milk run in 1965, and I can't place Delta in HSV at that time ... so perhaps this was UA operating what used to be some Capital Airlines segments, such as HSV - Chattanooga (CHA) - Knoxville (TYS) - Washington National (DCA) - EWR, and of course using an ex-Capital Viscount
5. Yep, this was yet another Capital Airlines legacy flight operated by United. Here's the sched.....

UA 828: Huntsville 6:20am (CST) - 8:00am (EST) Chattanooga 8:20am - 8:50am Knoxville 9:10am - 12:01pm Washington National 12:30pm - 1:33pm New York Newark
Op: Daily
Equip: Viscount

BTW, United was operating this nonstop flight from Huntsville to the New York City area as well at this time.....

UA 624: Huntsville 4:00pm - 9:05pm New York LaGuardia
Op: Daily except Saturdays
Equip: DC-6
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Icecat
23. In the spring of 1985, Frontier Airlines was operating nonstop Boeing 737-200 service from Midland/Odessa (MAF) to three different destinations. Identify all three.
How about ABQ, HOU and of course DEN.
23. Correct! Besides nonstop MAF-DEN nonstop service, I believe another FL routing with the 73S was HOU-MAF-ABQ-DEN.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. In the spring of 1976, this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Kingston (KIN) and Belize (BZE) with a jet aircraft type. Identify the air carrier and the equipment.

Wild guess time... since Belize was once British Honduras, let's go with British Airways with a VC10.
19. Excellent guess as one might think this was a BA tag route.

However, it was not BA.

So here's a hint: the aircraft type was smaller than a VC10.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Don't you wish you were going in a proper Whirlwind

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westlan...nd_(helicopter)

The last of these I recall was back in university days when RAF ones would land about 200 yds from our apartment in Edinburgh doing a Medevac from somewhere to the main city hospital. They were periodic visitors for this purpose while we were there.
Ah, the old Westland Whirlwind which I believe was a version of the Sikorsky S-55 manufactured under license (excuse me, licence) in the U.K.

Curious to know if the RAF Whirlwinds you witnessed conducting medevac missions had been converted to Rolls-Royce Gem turboshaft power.....

And I am also reminded of the novel "Whirlwind" written by James Clavell concerning a certain British (some might say Scottish) commercial helicopter operator in Iran back when the Ayatollah Khomeini had returned and the country was in turmoil......it's a superb read!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And on a lovely Saturday with fall just around the corner, here are my bonus quiz items to round out my latest set.

41. In the fall of 1960, this airline was operating a classic milk run flight which originated at Chicago Midway Airport. This flight departed MDW at 6:50am six days a week and made eight intermediate stops en route to Houston Hobby, arriving at HOU at 3:42pm. Name the air carrier, the equipment and all eight stops in the order in which they were made. Partially answered

42. Also during the fall of 1960, American Airlines was operating flights on the short hop from Dallas Love Field to the Greater Southwest Airport which served Fort Worth. How many flights did AA operate from DAL to GSW on a daily basis at this time? Here's a hint: American was operating four different aircraft types on the service from Dallas to Fort Worth and thus was operating at least four flights a day. So please also identify all four aircraft flown on the route by AA in addition to the number of flights. ANSWERED

43. It's the fall of 1976 and you are in Bangor, Maine. You need to travel to Atlanta and discover a classic milk run flight which departs BGR at 6:35am and arrives in ATL at 5:15pm. This flight operates daily and makes a total of eight intermediate stops en route. And here's a hint with regard to the routing of this flight: weather conditions permitting, from the vantage point of your window seat ahead of the wing you'll be seeing several large bodies of water en route. Name the airline, the aircraft type flown on the route and all eight stops in the order in which they were made. ANSWERED

44. Fill in the blanks concerning this print advertisement which appeared in 1983:

____________ puts regional jet service on the map. . . with the ___________ Jet.

At last, the comfort and convenience of jet travel comes to mid-sized cities. Connecting regional business and vacation travelers to the world. And offering more freight service than ever before. The airline, of course, is ____________. The aircraft is the revolutionary _________ from _____________.

45. In the fall of 1993, there was only one airline that was still operating scheduled passenger flights from London Heathrow with Boeing 707 equipment. This service was actually a joint operation involving another airline. Identify the air carrier that actually operated this 707 service and the route the aircraft was flown on from LHR.

And now to the lawn mower.......

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 25, 2014 at 6:21 pm Reason: spelling & answer update
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

13: that cements the operator as National; I'd venture that four of the stops were
  • Jacksonville (JAX)
  • Washington National (DCA) -
  • JFK
  • Providence (PVD)
I can see two possibilities for the first part of the route
  • Mobile (MOB) / JAX / Charleston (CHS)
  • Tampa (TPA) / Orlando (MCO) / JAX
of these, I think the latter is more likely
13. Here are the stops we are looking for concerning this milk run operated by National Airlines in the spring of 1968 from New Orleans to Boston:

MSY - _____ - TPA - MCO - _____ - JAX - _____ - BOS

National had been operating this flight with a Lockheed L-188 Electra; however, by the spring of 1968, the airline had begun to retire its Electras and replace them with Boeing 727-100 aircraft.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
And now to the lawn mower.......
Is that a rider mower or a push mower? Does it have a little drink bucket for a refreshing Cajun Bloody Mary or an icy cold beer whilst toiling under that hot Looziana sun?

40°F and rainy in the Interior today. I'm glad I already picked up and disposed of the approximately 1500 spruce cones lying about my place in order to make it less attractive to squirrels.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 20, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
13: another shot at filling in the blanks
Pensacola (PNS)
Daytona Beach (DAB)
Newark (EWR)

I can think of one more option for each of these, so we'll see what the official word from LFT is later this evening
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Is that a rider mower or a push mower? Does it have a little drink bucket for a refreshing Cajun Bloody Mary or an icy cold beer whilst toiling under that hot Looziana sun?

40°F and rainy in the Interior today. I'm glad I already picked up and disposed of the approximately 1500 spruce cones lying about my place in order to make it less attractive to squirrels.
Ah, it's our "lil tractor" which I get to drive about once a week or so. And yes, it does have a cup holder which has been known to transport a very refreshing Cajun Bloody Mary during lawn mowing operations.

Mostly sunny here at the moment with a bit less of the usual humidity due to a recent cool front.....which means the air temp is currently in the upper 80's F rather than the 90's F.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 20, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.