Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by teddybear99
3. VASP, Brazil which joined TACA, LANICA, LACSA, and Austral already operating the plane in South America

20. Ward Air
Correct on both. Here are the print ads.....

3. BACvaspchooses67

20. WDbigseat87
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
So, 1985 would be just before my family moved back to the Albany area but I'll take a stab at this.

My initial guess is United doing ALB-BUF-ORD-TUL-DEN-SFO-ONT on a 737-200.
19. You are off to a great start here as United arriving into Ontario (ONT) is correct.

However, the aircraft wasn't a B737-200. And although the flight in question did stop at Chicago, Denver and San Francisco, ORD wasn't the second stop, DEN wasn't the fourth stop and SFO wasn't the fifth stop. This flight also did not stop at Buffalo (BUF) or Tulsa (TUL).

Plus this flight made six stops en route so you are missing one stop. Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 3, 2020 at 9:56 am Reason: clarification
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
8- let’s try United: a 747 operating Hilo (ITO) - Honolulu (HNL) - Los Angeles (LAX) - Chicago (ORD) (and I’ll even go so far as to guess it was UA118, which I took as the LAX-ORD redeye in early 1977) ... followed by a 737-200 to MSY

10- I think a connection between two domestic carriers is unlikely ... and that said, I can’t think of too many airlines of other countries serving NAS from the U.S. or Canada
  • Air Canada might have had service from Toronto/YYZ, but 1975 is probably several years too early for nonstop MKE-YYZ service
    • however, I vaguely recall Air Jamaica running a DC-8 from Chicago/ORD, so a same-aircraft possibility there would be United
8. United operating a 747 departing from Hilo (ITO) is correct. However, the flight did not stop in Honolulu (HNL) although it did stop in Los Angeles (LAX) and Chicago (ORD). But the connection was not made at ORD and the second flight was not operated with a B737-200.

10. The first air carrier operating the originating flight from Milwaukee (MKE) wasn't United, the equipment wasn't a DC8 and the connection wasn't made at Chicago (ORD). On the plus side of the column, the airline operating the nonstop flight into Nassau (NAS) was Air Jamaica.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BA
10. [1975]You've just finished a project assignment in Milwaukee when the phone rings and you hear this: "Hey, buddy, the repairs are finished and the cat is good to go! We are ready to set sail to Virgin Gorda! When can you be here?!" And just where is your old sailing buddy located? "Nassau!" Well, here you go again....and you quickly ascertain that two airlines will be involved for your trip from MKE to NAS with a 90 minute connection time between the two flights you'll be traveling on, both of which will be nonstop and also both operated with the same aircraft type. Identify both air carriers, the airport where the connection will be made and the equipment.
What about a Northwest 707 Milwaukee to JFK, connecting to a BOAC 707 on to Nassau ?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
What about a Northwest 707 Milwaukee to JFK, connecting to a BOAC 707 on to Nassau ?
10. An excellent guess, sir. However, it wasn't Northwest connecting to BOAC, the connection was not made at New York JFK and the equipment in question wasn't a 707.

And in the interim we have now established that the airline operating the service into Nassau (NAS) was Air Jamaica. Please guess again!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by jlemon
19. You are off to a great start here as United arriving into Ontario (ONT) is correct.

However, the aircraft wasn't a B737-200. And although the flight in question did stop at Chicago, Denver and San Francisco, ORD wasn't the first stop, DEN wasn't the fourth stop and SFO wasn't the fifth stop. This flight also did not stop at Buffalo (BUF) or Tulsa (TUL).

Plus this flight made six stops en route so you are missing one stop. Please guess again, sir!
I went one short as I wasn't completely sure about whether the final destination was considered a stop.

So, now we've got the next guess. Since I didn't have ORD as the first stop, I'm going to assume your comment meant ORD isn't the second stop.

UA ALB-ORD-DFW-DEN-SLC-LAX-SFO-ONT on a 727-100

Last edited by Bluehen1; Sep 3, 2020 at 10:14 am Reason: Forgot to add equipment
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went one short as I wasn't completely sure about whether the final destination was considered a stop.

So, now we've got the next guess. Since I didn't have ORD as the first stop, I'm going to assume your comment meant ORD isn't the second stop.

UA ALB-ORD-DFW-DEN-SLC-LAX-SFO-ONT on a 727-100
19. You are making excellent progress here as the equipment was indeed a B727-100. And yep, my initial response was ORD wasn't the first stop when it actually was (I subsequently rectified this mistake). At any rate, your revised routing of ALB-ORD-DFW-DEN is correct.

However, the flight in question did not stop at SLC or LAX....but the final leg was nonstop from SFO to ONT. Please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:13 am

19. You are making excellent progress here as the equipment was indeed a B727-100. And yep, my initial response was ORD wasn't the first stop when it actually was (I subsequently rectified this mistake). At any rate, your revised routing of ALB-ORD-DFW-DEN is correct.

However, the flight in question did not stop at SLC or LAX....but the final leg was nonstop from SFO to ONT. Please guess again, sir!
Alright, it's going to sound funny but it appears that this must be a California hop of some sort. Since LAX isn't included, let's go with ALB-ORD-DFW-DEN-FAT-SJC-SFO-ONT
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
8. United operating a 747 departing from Hilo (ITO) is correct. However, the flight did not stop in Honolulu (HNL) although it did stop in Los Angeles (LAX) and Chicago (ORD). But the connection was not made at ORD and the second flight was not operated with a B737-200.
8- a couple months ago we were discussing 747 service (or the absence thereof) into Kahului/OGG, I certainly don't remember any UA 747s on SFO-LAX, and there's only one other possible connecting point ... all that together says the routing must have been ITO-Kona/KOA-LAX-Denver/DEN ... as for the connecting flight, there are four OAG codes (a standard and a stretch variant of each of two types), so I'll start with a DC-8-61

10. The first air carrier operating the originating flight from Milwaukee (MKE) wasn't United, the equipment wasn't a DC8 and the connection wasn't made at Chicago (ORD). On the plus side of the column, the airline operating the nonstop flight into Nassau (NAS) was Air Jamaica.
10- well then ... JM also had the DC-8-61, but since UA is off the table and DL wasn't yet at MKE, we're looking at a DC-9-30; JM wasn't serving Atlanta/ATL, which rules out Eastern and therefore points to Herman (North Central) as the originating airline ... where else might NC have operated from MKE to meet up with JM? I seriously doubt it was MSP, so that leaves me with Detroit/DTW
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright, it's going to sound funny but it appears that this must be a California hop of some sort. Since LAX isn't included, let's go with ALB-ORD-DFW-DEN-FAT-SJC-SFO-ONT
19. An astute observation, sir. And while this flight did indeed stop in San Jose, it did not stop in Fresno. Please guess again!
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:27 am

19. An astute observation, sir. And while this flight did indeed stop in San Jose, it did not stop in Fresno. Please guess again!
Trying something really screwing with the allusion to hitting all points of the compass...

ALB-ORD-DFW-DEN-SJC-MRY-SFO-ONT
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8- a couple months ago we were discussing 747 service (or the absence thereof) into Kahului/OGG, I certainly don't remember any UA 747s on SFO-LAX, and there's only one other possible connecting point ... all that together says the routing must have been ITO-Kona/KOA-LAX-Denver/DEN ... as for the connecting flight, there are four OAG codes (a standard and a stretch variant of each of two types), so I'll start with a DC-8-61

10- well then ... JM also had the DC-8-61, but since UA is off the table and DL wasn't yet at MKE, we're looking at a DC-9-30; JM wasn't serving Atlanta/ATL, which rules out Eastern and therefore points to Herman (North Central) as the originating airline ... where else might NC have operated from MKE to meet up with JM? I seriously doubt it was MSP, so that leaves me with Detroit/DTW
8. As previously mentioned, the United 747 flight from Hilo did stop at LAX and ORD. However, it did not stop at Kona and the connection was not made at Denver. And the UA flight into New Orleans was not operated with a Super DC8-61 or any other type of DC8.

10. Correct! Here are the scheds.....

NC 990: Milwaukee (MKE) 7:00a - 7:45a Detroit (DTW)
Freq: Daily except Sun.
Service class: S
Meal service: Snack
Equip: DC9-30

Connecting to.....

JM 060: Detroit (DTW) 9:15a - 12:15p Nassau (NAS)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: DC9-30
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trying something really screwing with the allusion to hitting all points of the compass...

ALB-ORD-DFW-DEN-SJC-MRY-SFO-ONT
19. Correct! Here's the sched....

UA 249: Albany (ALB) 10:50a - 11:53a Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 1:05p - 3:24p Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) 3:58p - 4:50p Denver (DEN) 5:45p - 7:10p San Jose (SJC) 7:30p - 7:58p Monterey (MRY) 8:18p - 8:47p San Francisco (SFO) 9:15p - 10:25p Ontario (ONT)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Lunch ALB-ORD & ORD-DFW, Dinner DFW-DEN & DEN-SJC
Equip: B727-100
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
8- ok, now I'm remembering UA118 actually continued from ORD to Pittsburgh/PIT (full routing was ITO-LAX-ORD-PIT) ... and in 1975, UA still ran the old Capital routes from the mid-Atlantic to MSY ... that would have most likely been a 72S
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8- ok, now I'm remembering UA118 actually continued from ORD to Pittsburgh/PIT (full routing was ITO-LAX-ORD-PIT) ... and in 1975, UA still ran the old Capital routes from the mid-Atlantic to MSY ... that would have most likely been a 72S
8. All good here except for the equipment on the connecting flight into MSY which wasn't a B727-200. And we await the tap in.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.