Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
  • AM: MEX-Mazatlan/MZT-CUL
Very Good! Everything is correct except Mazatlan. Replace that with the correct stop and todo esta bien!
22- how about Puerto Vallarta/PVR
Old May 24, 2023, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
And yet another historical note in the annals of aviation....

Dassault Aviation is this month observing the 60th anniversary concerning the advent of its first business jet, the Mystere 20 which was later renamed the Falcon 20. And, of course, there is an airline connection here.....

At least one small U.S. based air carrier operated the Falcon 20 in scheduled passenger service.

Thus, a Bonus Question: Name that air carrier.

It wasn't Golden West or Ultimate Air Shuttle and neither of the airports served by the Falcon 20 was located in California. Hints: the air carrier in question operated four roundtrip flights with the Falcon 20 everyweekday between just two U.S. airports. One of these airports was served by a number of airlines with mainline jets but the other airport was only served by the small air carrier we are looking for. And this service was being operated in 2001 quite a bit to the east of California. This passenger service wasn't flown between EWR and BKL or between MMU and DTW nor was it operated by a Falcon 20 freight operator. More hints: the service was operated between airports located in two major metropolitan areas, one of which is in the vicinity of New York City. And the name of the air carrier in question closely resembles the name of a large scheduled passenger airline that is currently operating mainline jet equipment in Asia.
Bonus: I guess Air New England (ANE) is kinda sorta like All Nippon Airways (ANA) so, in the grasping at straws department, how about Air New England operating between White Plains (HPN) and Hanscom Field in the Boston suburb of Bedford (BED).
Old May 24, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Bonus: I guess Air New England (ANE) is kinda sorta like All Nippon Airways (ANA) so, in the grasping at straws department, how about Air New England operating between White Plains (HPN) and Hanscom Field in the Boston suburb of Bedford (BED).
Bonus: Ah, it wasn't Air New England and the airports served by the Falcon 20 flights in question weren't White Plains Westchester County or Bedford Hanscom Field. The nonstop service was also a longer flight, distance-wise, than between HPN and BED. And the name of the air carrier we are looking is vastly more similar to the name of the Asian airline I referred to in my hint.

Please guess again, sir!
Old May 24, 2023, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Bonus: Ah, it wasn't Air New England and the airports served by the Falcon 20 flights in question weren't White Plains Westchester County or Bedford Hanscom Field. The nonstop service was also a longer flight, distance-wise, than between HPN and BED. And the name of the air carrier we are looking is vastly more similar to the name of the Asian airline I referred to in my hint.

Please guess again, sir!
Hmmm... Lion Air vs. Lionair might make sense. Because I don't think there's ever been a Cathay Atlantic!

Continuing to grasp at straws until every hard surface runway > 5000' east of the Mississippi has been tried: FRG-MDW?
Old May 24, 2023, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
Hmmm... Lion Air vs. Lionair might make sense. Because I don't think there's ever been a Cathay Atlantic!

Continuing to grasp at straws until every hard surface runway > 5000' east of the Mississippi has been tried: FRG-MDW?
Bonus: The air carrier in question wasn't named Lionair and the service did not operate from Republic Airport out on Long Island.

However, you are making progress here as Chicago Midway was indeed served by these Falcon 20 flights.
Old May 25, 2023, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
30. (1986) Per your tastes at least, the world’s greatest party is the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, otherwise known as Jazz Fest. From your home in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania you’ve got several air travel options. Over the years, you’ve employed most of them including those from Allegheny and TWA. This year, you’re looking forward to a new routing and a different airline all the way through from MDT to MSY. You’ll fly nonstop to the connection point, then on to New Orleans via a one-stop flight. Both flights will be operated by the same aircraft type. Identify the airline, the complete routing and the aircraft type.

Airline: Piedmont
Connection point: Charlotte
Airplane: 727-200

Piedmont would seem a most reasonable choice but alas, rather surprisingly, Piedmont, didn't fly to Harrisburg - at least not in 1986.

So then - The search continues - different airline, route and aircraft. You got this!
Old May 25, 2023, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
25. (1974) From one island paradise to another - This retirement gig is starting to look pretty good! You’ll depart Honolulu mid-morning aboard a one stop flight to your connection point where you’ll then board a nonstop to your second connection point. Following a three hour layover during which you’ll enjoy lunch with an old school chum, you’ll fly nonstop to Antigua. All flights will be aboard the same airline, but your final flight to Antigua will be on a different aircraft type than your first two flights. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types.

As was discussed here many moons ago by one of our former regular participants (whom we have not heard from in quite some time and we hope he's OK), once upon a time British Airways operated a hub at New York Kennedy Airport. It wasn't a big hub but connections at JFK were indeed possible. And BA at one point also operated an interesting multistop flight with the iconic Vickers VC-10 between Australia and the UK via JFK with this flight also stopping in Honolulu. So I will guess the first flight we are looking for here was operated by BA with a VC-10 from HNL to JFK via a stop in Los Angeles. This means our second flight will also be operated with a VC-10 and I'll guess this would have been a nonstop BA service from JFK to Nassau. And for our third flight from Nassau nonstop to Antigua, let's board a BA 707.

You're 87% on the right track here. Just switch out Nassau for the correct second connection point and Bob's your uncle!
Old May 25, 2023, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
22. (1974) Your company has won a bid to install air conditioning in an office building being built in Culiacan, Mexico. From your headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee – this is going to involve a long day of flying. First, you’ll board a one-stop flight to Memphis. Next you’ll board a five stopper from Memphis to Mexico City. Finally, you’ll board a one stopper from Mexico City to Culiacan. Three airlines will be flown, all of them operating the same type and variant of aircraft. Identify each of the airlines, all of the enroute stops and the aircraft type common to each flight.

I am fairly confident of the equipment and the airlines, so the challenge is going to be the seven intermediate stops along the itinerary. This was a DC-9-10 journey; the three airlines of record were Southern, Texas International, and Aeronaves de Mexico
  • SO: BNA-Jackson/MKL-MEM
  • TI: MEM-Little Rock/LIT-Dallas/DFW-Houston/IAH-Corpus Christi/CRP-McAllen/MFE-MEX
  • AM: MEX-Mazatlan/MZT-CUL

Very Good! Everything is correct except Mazatlan. Replace that with the correct stop and todo esta bien!

Southern SO 411 Nashville (BNA) 750a-820a S Jackson (MKL) 830a-855a Memphis (MEM) DC-9-10 Daily
Texas International TT 997 Memphis (MEM) 1115a-1149a Little Rock (LIT) 1210p-105p S Dallas (DAL) 130p-219p Houston (IAH) 240p-322p Corpus Christi (CRP) 337p-407p McAllen (MFE) 430p-443p S Mexico City (MEX) DC-9-10 Daily
Aeromexico AM 104 Mexico City (MEX) 650p-745p S _______________ (XXX) 800p-805p S Culiacan (CUL) DC-9-10 Daily

How about Puerto Vallarta/PVR

Nope. And that means it must be ___________________
Old May 25, 2023, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
22. How about Puerto Vallarta/PVR

Nope. And that means it must be
22- Guadalajara/GDL or Durango/DGO or León/BJX … all are on a more-or-less direct MEX-CUL route

I am well aware that our esteemed Quiz Director frowns on multi-guessing, so I’ll offer BJX (or whatever the IATA designator for the San Carlos airport that serves León was in 1974)
Old May 25, 2023, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

22- Guadalajara/GDL or Durango/DGO or León/BJX … all are on a more-or-less direct MEX-CUL route

I am well aware that our esteemed Quiz Director frowns on multi-guessing, so I’ll offer BJX (or whatever the IATA designator for the San Carlos airport that serves León was in 1974)

Whaaaat? You been drinkin', J? BJX? What tha - I can tell you I have definitely been drinking and I don't have a clue about BJX. Try a more established large Mexican city - one with a well known tequila factory up in the hills above it (I know because I've done been there - back in '1974!) and this question will then be solved! G'wan now! Git 'em![ You got this!

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 25, 2023 at 2:51 am
Old May 25, 2023, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

25. I'll amend my guess for the location of the second connection made from a BA VC10 to a BA 707: Bermuda.
Old May 25, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22- and I will amend my guess for the intermediate stop on MEX-CUL to Durango/DGO
Old May 25, 2023, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. (1974) This is gonna be fun! From your home in St. Louis, MO you’ll be flying to Montreal, Quebec where you’ll be boarding a riverboat for a two day cruise up the St. Laurence River to beautiful Quebec City. Your trip will involve three flights aboard three airlines, each of them operating equipment built by a different manufacturer. Two widebody jets will be flown. No non U.S. airlines will be flown. TWA will not be flown. Given these clues, can you determine the three airlines, the routing and the three aircraft types?
Round two:
  • STL-MSP Braniff 727-200
  • MSP-JFK Northwest 747
  • JFK-YUL Eastern L10

Like I said to moondog - I'm employing a slight twist with regard to my responses to your responses on this quiz - I don't want to make it too easy for you rocket scientists (or Boeing Engineers as the case may be) One of these aircraft and its related city pair is 100% correct! Another aircraft since added as part of round 2 is also correct. However, one connection airport is not correct, and thus the airline and aircraft associated with that airline selected to serve it is also incorrect. In my mind that airport is too far north to work as a viable connection per the joint fare tariffs of the day. (Oh yes, I used to peruse the monthly Joint Fare Tariffs publication as well back in the day!)

In any event, so armed with these additional clues, I see success just around the corner
8- coming back to this one ... "too far north" has to refer to MSP, and I definitely remember NW operating a 747 between Milwaukee/MKE and JFK ... so let's start the trip on an Ozark DC-9-30 and end it on the aforementioned Eastern TriStar
Old May 25, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

25. (1974) From one island paradise to another - This retirement gig is starting to look pretty good! You’ll depart Honolulu mid-morning aboard a one stop flight to your connection point where you’ll then board a nonstop to your second connection point. Following a three hour layover during which you’ll enjoy lunch with an old school chum, you’ll fly nonstop to Antigua. All flights will be aboard the same airline, but your final flight to Antigua will be on a different aircraft type than your first two flights. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types.

As was discussed here many moons ago by one of our former regular participants (whom we have not heard from in quite some time and we hope he's OK), once upon a time British Airways operated a hub at New York Kennedy Airport. It wasn't a big hub but connections at JFK were indeed possible. And BA at one point also operated an interesting multistop flight with the iconic Vickers VC-10 between Australia and the UK via JFK with this flight also stopping in Honolulu. So I will guess the first flight we are looking for here was operated by BA with a VC-10 from HNL to JFK via a stop in Los Angeles. This means our second flight will also be operated with a VC-10 and I'll guess this would have been a nonstop BA service from JFK to Nassau. And for our third flight from Nassau nonstop to Antigua, let's board a BA 707.

You're 87% on the right track here. Just switch out Nassau for the correct second connection point and Bob's your uncle!

I'll amend my guess for the location of the second connection made from a BA VC10 to a BA 707: Bermuda.

Correct! Here's the itinerary -

BOAC BA 590 Honolulu (HNL) 1020a-630p L Los Angeles (LAX) 1155p-800a S New York (JFK) VC-10 X13
BOAC BA 490 New York (JFK) 940a-1140a L Bermuda (BDA) VC-10 Daily
BOAC BA 677 Bermuda (BDA) 300p-520p Antigua (ANU) 707-436 Mo only
Old May 25, 2023, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

22. (1974) Your company has won a bid to install air conditioning in an office building being built in Culiacan, Mexico. From your headquarters in Nashville, Tennessee – this is going to involve a long day of flying. First, you’ll board a one-stop flight to Memphis. Next you’ll board a five stopper from Memphis to Mexico City. Finally, you’ll board a one stopper from Mexico City to Culiacan. Three airlines will be flown, all of them operating the same type and variant of aircraft. Identify each of the airlines, all of the enroute stops and the aircraft type common to each flight.

I am fairly confident of the equipment and the airlines, so the challenge is going to be the seven intermediate stops along the itinerary. This was a DC-9-10 journey; the three airlines of record were Southern, Texas International, and Aeronaves de Mexico
  • SO: BNA-Jackson/MKL-MEM
  • TI: MEM-Little Rock/LIT-Dallas/DFW-Houston/IAH-Corpus Christi/CRP-McAllen/MFE-MEX
  • AM: MEX-Puerto Vallarta/PVR-CUL

Very Good! Everything is correct except Puerto Vallarta. Replace that with the correct stop and todo esta bien!

Southern SO 411 Nashville (BNA) 750a-820a S Jackson (MKL) 830a-855a Memphis (MEM) DC-9-10 Daily
Texas International TT 997 Memphis (MEM) 1115a-1149a Little Rock (LIT) 1210p-105p S Dallas (DAL) 130p-219p Houston (IAH) 240p-322p Corpus Christi (CRP) 337p-407p McAllen (MFE) 430p-443p S Mexico City (MEX) DC-9-10 Daily
Aeromexico AM 104 Mexico City (MEX) 650p-745p S _______________ (XXX) 800p-805p S Culiacan (CUL) DC-9-10 Daily

I will amend my guess for the intermediate stop on MEX-CUL to Durango/DGO

It's not DGO. So close to the complete answer and yet you're missing a glaringly large city/stop. Te missing stop must be ___________________

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.