FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2023, 11:35 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
25. (1974) From one island paradise to another - This retirement gig is starting to look pretty good! You’ll depart Honolulu mid-morning aboard a one stop flight to your connection point where you’ll then board a nonstop to your second connection point. Following a three hour layover during which you’ll enjoy lunch with an old school chum, you’ll fly nonstop to Antigua. All flights will be aboard the same airline, but your final flight to Antigua will be on a different aircraft type than your first two flights. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types.

As was discussed here many moons ago by one of our former regular participants (whom we have not heard from in quite some time and we hope he's OK), once upon a time British Airways operated a hub at New York Kennedy Airport. It wasn't a big hub but connections at JFK were indeed possible. And BA at one point also operated an interesting multistop flight with the iconic Vickers VC-10 between Australia and the UK via JFK with this flight also stopping in Honolulu. So I will guess the first flight we are looking for here was operated by BA with a VC-10 from HNL to JFK via a stop in Los Angeles. This means our second flight will also be operated with a VC-10 and I'll guess this would have been a nonstop BA service from JFK to Nassau. And for our third flight from Nassau nonstop to Antigua, let's board a BA 707.

You're 87% on the right track here. Just switch out Nassau for the correct second connection point and Bob's your uncle!

I'll amend my guess for the location of the second connection made from a BA VC10 to a BA 707: Bermuda.

Correct! Here's the itinerary -

BOAC BA 590 Honolulu (HNL) 1020a-630p L Los Angeles (LAX) 1155p-800a S New York (JFK) VC-10 X13
BOAC BA 490 New York (JFK) 940a-1140a L Bermuda (BDA) VC-10 Daily
BOAC BA 677 Bermuda (BDA) 300p-520p Antigua (ANU) 707-436 Mo only