Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Trans World [TW] with a stop in Frankfurt/FRA.
21. TWA is correct.....however, the stop was not made at Frankfurt so please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Right over the top of Chateau WHBM at 1,700 feet, TWO 1940s De Havilland DH89 Dragon Rapides in close formation . G-AIYR and one other.

Very nice! And we are watching the skies over the coast of Louisiana this morning as well as Tropical Depression 19 is now moving west over southern Florida into the southeast Gulf of Mexico. Our National Hurricane Center (NHC) forecasts this system will strengthen to a tropical storm and may become a hurricane before making landfall several days from now somewhere between the Florida panhandle and southeast Louisiana. However, there is still quite a bit of uncertainty concerning the forecast track and intensity of the storm. It does appear this system will primarily be a very heavy rain event with flooding very likely to the east of the center of the storm.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by jlemon
28. Now it's 1999 and you need to fly from Kansas City (MCI) to Toronto (YYZ) as early as possible. Ah, here's a flight which make one stop en route with a breakfast snack being served. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft.
This sounds like a Midwest Express route, operated by a DC-9 stopping in their hometown of Milwaukee/MKE. The breakfast snack was a hint - I believe by then most (all?) other U.S. airlines had suspended meal service on flights that short.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
This sounds like a Midwest Express route, operated by a DC-9 stopping in their hometown of Milwaukee/MKE. The breakfast snack was a hint - I believe by then most (all?) other U.S. airlines had suspended meal service on flights that short.
28. Correct! Here's the sched....

YX 590: Kansas City (MCI) 6:20a - 7:35a Milwaukee (MKE) 8:05a - 10:25a Toronto (YYZ)
Freq: Daily except Sun.
Service class: Y
Meal service: Breakfast snack MCI-MKE & MKE-YYZ
Equip: DC9-30

Here's the seating chart.....

http://www.departedflights.com/YXD9S0889.html
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
7. ... the connection will be made with 90 minutes on the ground. ....
a minor point of accuracy ... which doesn’t impact the answer
7.SC 110: Belem (BEL) 16:15 - 17:45 Cayenne (CAY)

Connecting to.....

AF 226: Cayenne (CAY) 20:15 - 13:25+1 Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG)
1745 to 2015 is a 2.5 hour connection, not 1.5

22. NAS-XXX-SLC It wasn't Delta, the aircraft operated on the first flight wasn't an L-1011 and the connection wasn't made in Atlanta.

However, you have correctly guessed the equipment operated on the second flight, being a B727-200. But the second flight did not make an intermediate stop in Kansas City.
22- my second choice for the operator is TWA with a connection at JFK; however, I had initially envisioned the TriStar on the second flight operating via Denver/DEN ... given a 72S, it would certainly seem that the enroute stop would be St Louis/STL, and that would indicate NAS-JFK was an MD-80
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
7. a minor point of accuracy ... which doesn’t impact the answer
1745 to 2015 is a 2.5 hour connection, not 1.5

22. my second choice for the operator is TWA with a connection at JFK; however, I had initially envisioned the TriStar on the second flight operating via Denver/DEN ... given a 72S, it would certainly seem that the enroute stop would be St Louis/STL, and that would indicate NAS-JFK was an MD-80
7. I figured you might catch that minor error....and this old timer definitely ain't perfect. Read it and weep.....

22. It wasn't TWA, the first flight wasn't operated with an MD-80 and the stop made by the second flight wasn't St. Louis. However, the connection was made at JFK.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
22- since NAS-JFK wasn’t DL or TW, I guess it would have to be Pan Am ... which creates two areas of consternation:

(1) by 1989 I’m almost positive that neither the 707 or the 727-100 remained in the PA fleet, so as odd as it may seem, are we left with a 747 for the first segment?

(2) similar to TWA, PA had numerous flights out of JFK to carry downline connecting traffic from their TATL services, many of those flights with an additional tag-on leg (over the course of this Quiz, I believe we’ve discussed a few such as CLE-IND) ... already knowing that this SLC-bound flight didn’t stop at either STL or DEN, the guessing game shall proceed — start with Detroit/DTW
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22- since NAS-JFK wasn’t DL or TW, I guess it would have to be Pan Am ... which creates two areas of consternation:

(1) by 1989 I’m almost positive that neither the 707 or the 727-100 remained in the PA fleet, so as odd as it may seem, are we left with a 747 for the first segment?

(2) similar to TWA, PA had numerous flights out of JFK to carry downline connecting traffic from their TATL services, many of those flights with an additional tag-on leg (over the course of this Quiz, I believe we’ve discussed a few such as CLE-IND) ... already knowing that this SLC-bound flight didn’t stop at either STL or DEN, the guessing game shall proceed — start with Detroit/DTW
22. Well, you're getting closer as the air carrier in question was Pan Am.

However, the equipment on the NAS-JFK flight wasn't a 747 and the second flight did not stop at Detroit.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

meant to include this with an earlier post

this is today’s “view” with all the smoke beneath the marine layer (it’s 55 degrees, which is MUCH better than 75 or 85) ... needless to say, we have spent most of the past 36 hours inside, and will probably not venture out for at least another 24

22- let’s just work east to west for the PA stop between JFK and SLC; how about Chicago/ORD
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:17 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
21. TWA is correct.....however, the stop was not made at Frankfurt so please guess again, sir!
I think it was STR.

Slightly OT - in 1989 TW also flew ZRH-VIE - not sure if they had traffic rights, though. I was in college then and recall OS had unbeatable student fare on this route, so always flew with OS.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22- letís just work east to west for the PA stop between JFK and SLC; how about Chicago/ORD
22. Nope!
Old Sep 12, 2020, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
I think it was STR.

Slightly OT - in 1989 TW also flew ZRH-VIE - not sure if they had traffic rights, though. I was in college then and recall OS had unbeatable student fare on this route, so always flew with OS.
21. Yep! Here's the sched.....

TW 832: Zurich (ZRH) 10:25a - 11:10a (est.) Stuttgart (STR) 11:55a - 1:00p Berlin Tegel (TXL)
Freq: Daily except Tues. & Thurs.
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 727
Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BA
TW 832: Zurich (ZRH) 10:25a - 11:10a (est.) Stuttgart (STR) 11:55a - 1:00p Berlin Tegel (TXL)
Freq: Daily except Tues. & Thurs.
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: 727
TWA was a notable latecomer to the short-haul operations into Berlin, they only started about 1987, basing several 727s there as further competition to Pan Am. They were of course all gone by 1991 after the Berlin Wall came down and Lufthansa moved in. They had long had a couple of 727 operations in Europe, generally as add-ons to Transatlantic flights, and Alex Frater in "Beyond the Blue Horizon" describes at length being in 1984 on the first leg of the TWA Rome-Athens-Tel Aviv daily flight, with only half a dozen passengers, because the 747 it was meant to connect with from the US was grossly late into Rome. Yes, so much for a through flight number and the little footnote "change of gauge at Rome". Normally they had full traffic rights.

The Berlin flights tended to be different to other US internal operations within Europe, as they all recruited local cabin crew in Berlin (same for British Airways, Dan-Air, Laker etc), though with pilots from the main airline pool, from the US commonly on three-month secondments. British pilots changed over from day to day. The Allied Powers agreement required that pilots on the Berlin Corridor had to be nationals of those countries, so BA's Australian pilots (there have always been some) could not fly it. The West German government subsidised the operation, even the holiday flights, and stipulated Berlin residents for the cabin crew.
jlemon, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
22. 22. NAS-XXX-SLC...

Well, we know it's Pan Am - I suspect the aircraft operating between NAS and JFK was powered by General Electric engines while the stop between JFK and SLC may well have occurred in a state that's home to a fictional town "where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average"
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA
"where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average"
A perfect description of the WHBM household.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.