Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
B-002: Per the same 1988 OAG utilized above, identify the three different airlines that operated nonstop 747 service between Vancouver, BC and the U.S. cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Honolulu. One unique airline per each city, please.

SFO - Cathay Pacific (CX)
LAX - Canadian Pacific (CP)
HNL - Qantas (QF)

Not bad, not bad! Two right, one wrong. Now then, which one...?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here's the latest update on the unanswered questions:

The following two questions are based upon schedules published in a pocket OAG from autumn 1977

3. What was the longest scheduled flight within the continental U.S. being flown with the 727-100? We’re looking for route and airline.

6. Based upon total length – not passenger capacity – what was the longest airliner flying scheduled flights out of Tucson, Arizona in late 1977? A N S W E R E D

The following question is based upon schedules published in a pocket OAG from late 1988

11. Two airlines offered nonstop service between the U.S. and Mexico with the Convair 580. Identify both airlines and the single international route each served. Partially Answered

Bonus Questions

B-001: Per the same 1988 OAG utilized above, identify the only airline to operate 737-200s between SAN and LAX with six daily departures - all of them 73S equipment.

B-002: Per the same 1988 OAG utilized above, identify the three different airlines that operated nonstop 747 service between Vancouver, BC and the U.S. cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Honolulu. One unique airline per each city, please. A N S W E R E D

B-003: Post-deregulation, Western Airlines expanded service to a variety of east coast destinations. How did the airline go about making itself better known to people living on the east coast? A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 21, 2015 at 8:28 pm
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Post-deregulation, Western Airlines expanded service to a variety of east coast destinations. How did the airline go about making itself better known to people living on the east coast?
TV advertising - sponsored The Price is Right.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Per the same 1988 OAG utilized above, identify the three different airlines that operated nonstop 747 service between Vancouver, BC and the U.S. cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Honolulu. One unique airline per each city, please.
SFO : Cathay Pacific
LAX : Qantas
HNL : Canadian
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
B-003: Post-deregulation, Western Airlines expanded service to a variety of east coast destinations. How did the airline go about making itself better known to people living on the east coast?

Correct! I read recently that Alaska Airlines would like to achieve better recognition east of the Rockies. It has the second most flights to Hawaii (behind only Hawaiian) and serves a multitude of destinations throughout the Pacific Northwest via connection in Seattle but is not an airline that immediately comes to mind for many Easterners. Perhaps if it were to become a sponsor of The Masters golf tournament...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
B-002: Per the same 1988 OAG utilized above, identify the three different airlines that operated nonstop 747 service between Vancouver, BC and the U.S. cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Honolulu. One unique airline per each city, please.

SFO : Cathay Pacific
LAX : Qantas
HNL : Canadian

You've got one airline and route combination correct. Another airline is correct, but on the wrong route. The other airline is not one of the three.

Let's expedite things here and point out the two submitted airline/route combinations that are correct: (Kudos to jrl767 and WHBM)

SFO-YVR: CX 801 Dep. 1235p Arr. 235p Eq. 747 Freq. Daily
HNL-YVR: QF 025 Dep. 855a Arr. 435p Eq. 747 Freq. Thu Sat
LAX-YVR: XX 000 Dep. 315p Arr. 605p Eq. 747 Freq. Sun
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:18 pm

11. Two airlines offered nonstop service between the U.S. and Mexico with the Convair 580. Identify both airlines and the single international route each served.
One of them was Bill Crilly's "Resort Air Commuter" which at various times flew under the Pan Am Commuter and TWA Express. It had a fleet of four Convair 580s and operated SAN-LTO/LAP/SDJ. They also flew SAN-PHX and had plans to operate ex-CLD as well, but filled for bankruptcy in 1989 instead.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
11. Two airlines offered nonstop service between the U.S. and Mexico with the Convair 580. Identify both airlines and the single international route each served.

One of them was Bill Crilly's "Resort Air Commuter" which at various times flew under the Pan Am Commuter and TWA Express. It had a fleet of four Convair 580s and operated SAN-LTO/LAP/SDJ. They also flew SAN-PHX and had plans to operate ex-CLD as well, but filled for bankruptcy in 1989 instead.

One down, one to go! ^
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
hey, Seat 2A, what happened to enforcing your rules of engagement?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
hey, Seat 2A, what happened to enforcing your rules of engagement?
Which rule is that? The only one I can think of is the request to limit responses to 2-3 answers at a time. Did I miss something?

On a couple of the most recent questions (747s and 580s), I've decided to expedite things a bit. After tomorrow I'm outta here!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the rule that you keep dinging me on !

the question asked for TWO airlines and routes, and you gave our buddy Indelaware partial credit for only providing ONE !

EDIT TO ADD
never mind ... I know you have a good reason for "expediting things a bit" ... safe travels, see you in LGB on Sat morning
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital

Correct! I read recently that Alaska Airlines would like to achieve better recognition east of the Rockies. It has the second most flights to Hawaii (behind only Hawaiian) and serves a multitude of destinations throughout the Pacific Northwest via connection in Seattle but is not an airline that immediately comes to mind for many Easterners. Perhaps if it were to become a sponsor of The Masters golf tournament...
On the other hand, the airlines I really remember from television game shows--as suppliers of prize travel--were Sabena Belgian World Airlines, and Lan Chile. They sounded terribly glamorous when I had almost never been out of Ohio, never mind on any airplane whatsoever.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:21 pm

You've got one airline and route combination correct. Another airline is correct, but on the wrong route. The other airline is not one of the three.

Let's expedite things here and point out the two submitted airline/route combinations that are correct: (Kudos to jrl767 and WHBM)

LAX-YVR: XX 000 Dep. 315p Arr. 605p Eq. 747 Freq. SunWardair ?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:22 pm

LAX-YVR: XX 000 Dep. 315p Arr. 605p Eq. 747 Freq. Sun
Wardair ?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Referencing post #6745 by Seat 2A, I thought I would add a bit more information concerning Trans-Texas Airways - TTa (TT) and their successor, Texas International Airlines (TI)......

In 1966, back when I was attending high school on the outskirts of Houston, TTa began operating their first and only jet type, the DC-9-10. These aircraft were configured with a fairly large first class cabin in addition to coach. Some time ago, I posed a quiz item here on the good old OTA&AQ concerning the number of first class seats that could be found on board TTa's DC9s. The October 30, 1966 TTa system timetable listed the DC9 under the "Equip" column as "D9 F/Y". First class fares on TTa weren't too high back at this time. For example, one could fly on board a TTa DC9 from New Orleans to Baton Rouge in F for $8.70 one way.

However, this apparent experiment with two class service on the DC9 was short-lived and TTa reconfigured their twin jets to an all coach cabin. By August of 1968, the DC9 was listed in the TTa timetable as "D9/Y". It was at this time that I undertook several weekend air travel adventures courtesy of TTa flying mostly on board DC9s around their system via their $25 weekend fare. Every TTa DC9 I flew on at this time featured an all coach configuration.

Then, in 1969, TTa changed their name to Texas International. "No More Tree Top Airlines", a TI ad proclaimed at the time. I flew on Texas International as well on board their DC9 aircraft during the 70's. Every flight I was on featured an all coach cabin. TI did not use "Y" to describe their all coach cabin; they used "S" to denote "Standard Class". Some TTa flights also featured "S/K" service, notably between Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth. The DC9 configuration was still all coach but Standard and Economy fares were both offered. In early 1976 between IAH and DFW, the one way S fare was $35.00 and the one way K fare was $32.00. TI was competing neck and neck with Braniff International at this time on the IAH-DFW route while across town in both Dallas and Houston, Southwest was operating intrastate service between DAL and HOU. From IAH to DFW, TI was operating eleven flights a day (all with DC9 aircraft) and BN was operating fifteen flights a day (all with 727 or 72S aircraft). Meantime, WN was operating up to thirteen flights on weekdays from HOU to DAL with intrastate "K" fares as low as $15.00 one way, all with 73S aircraft (of course). One memory I have from this time concerns billboards on various freeways in the Houston area which had the following message: "Braniff International to Dallas/Ft. Worth: Only 727s Going!"

So I'll venture that the gentleman who flew from Corpus Christi to San Antonio back in the early 70's in first class may have actually traveled on board a Braniff International BAC One-Eleven......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 20, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.