Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
4. You want to fly aboard the only daily Convair 580 departing San Francisco in late 1977. Identify the airline and the route you’ll be flying.

I'll guess this was a United flight actually operated by our old friend Frontier Airlines with a routing of SFO-RNO-ELY-EKO-SLC.

That's right. This was the last route being served with DC-6s in United's system. However, given the escalating costs of maintaining the elderly DC-6s plus keeping the six qualified crews needed to operate the three aircraft required to protect the single daily roundtrip, money was being lost rather than made on the route. United considered petitioning to the CAB to give up the route in exchange for air taxi service but this was met with stiff opposition from both Ely and Elko. There was also a sentimental aspect to this as Elko was the terminal point for the first airmail route flown by United predecessor Varney Speed Lines.

In any event, a wet lease was worked out with Frontier Airlines (Frontier provided the aircraft, crews and maintenance) and the Convair service commenced started on March 1st, 1970. As noted, SFO-RNO was the first leg of the eastbound service.

And yes, my lady and I will be off once again to the Caribbean at the end of the month on good old AA with a routing of LFT-DFW-MIA-STT. We'll be in the front cabin on the mainline 757 flights. Our destination will be the west end of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands (reached via ferry boat from St. Thomas) where we shall hook up with old friends who have now retired from American Airlines. We'll board a "bare boat" catamaran which we will then sail over to Virgin Gorda. It's been over 20 years since I last enjoyed a rum punch at Pusser's overlooking the marina at Soper's Hole on Tortola in the BVI and I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to do so once again!

What an idyllic life you lead, JL! Here's wishing you and Lady K sunshine and smooth sailing in addition to a galley well stocked with appropriate libations. I'll think of you during the first week of February while taking afternoon tea at the Palm Court in New York's Plaza Hotel.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Ah.....was this McCulloch International operating a number of Electras? My parents actually flew on a McCulloch L-188 into the Lake Havasu area (I do not recall the actual airport) in order to explore buying some property....which they decided not to do. I believe McCulloch also operated a DC8 at one point. I do not think they ever operated scheduled service but they sure transported quite a few prospective land owners to their developments.

That's right. According to this site, McCulloch operated up to 12 Electras. Planespotters also shows them operating two DC-8-30s.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's a batch of comparatively easy schedule based questions to tide anyone so interested over until next Thursday. At that point I'll be boarding a shiny Alaska Airlines jet and winging my way south to the Golden State where - amongst other things - I'll hook up with jrl767 for a quick visit at the Southern California Airline Memorabilia Show. I won't return home until February 9th, so my participation in this little enterprise of ours will be severely curtailed. jlemon will be similarly indisposed until early February. Now's the perfect opportunity for someone else to take up the reins and present a few questions of their own. Go for it!

The following six questions are based upon schedules published in a pocket OAG from autumn 1977

1. Identify all of the U.S. airlines operating scheduled flights with the DC-9-10 in 1977

2. Of those airlines, which offered First Class aboard the DC-9-10 in 1977?

3. What was the longest scheduled flight within the continental U.S. being flown with the 727-100? We’re looking for route and airline.

4. You want to fly aboard the only daily Convair 580 departing San Francisco in late 1977. Identify the airline and the route you’ll be flying. A N S W E R E D

5. Identify all of the U.S. airlines serving Toronto in late 1977 A N S W E R E D

Bonus quiz item: in early 1976, only one airline was operating direct flights between Toronto and Honolulu. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it flew on the route. And depending on the day of the week, a change in aircraft type was possible....but only in one direction of travel.

6. Based upon total length – not passenger capacity – what was the longest airliner flying scheduled flights out of Tucson, Arizona in late 1977?

The following six questions are based upon schedules published in a pocket OAG from late 1988

7. These days only Jet Blue serves Worcester, MA with jets. Back in late 1988 there were four airlines doing so. Identify those four airlines and – if you feel up to it – the jets they operated into ORH. A N S W E R E D

8. If you lived in Yakima, WA in late 1988, only one airline offered jet service to your airport. Identify the airline and the aircraft used. If you like, you may also have a guess at which city those jets flew to.

9. It used to be that only Eastern Airlines flew into Canada’s capitol city of Ottawa from Syracuse and New York City. In late 1988 the only EA flight into YOW is from Baltimore. A different airline now serves the SYR-YOW route while yet another airline serves the JFK-YOW route. Identify each of these airlines and – if you like – the aircraft utilized on each service. A N S W E R E D

10. Four airlines served the Anchorage to Seattle market with a total of 14 daily and 2 daily except Saturday flights. Identify the airlines and what was similar about all 16 flights. A N S W E R E D

11. Two airlines offered nonstop service between the U.S. and Mexico with the Convair 580. Identify both airlines and the single international route each served.

12. When I think of Sioux Falls, South Dakota I think of Western Airlines Electras and 720Bs. In 1988 Western is gone, as are the Electra and 720B from South Dakota skies. Now we’re looking to identify the two airlines that – as of late 1988 – were operating DC-9-10s into Sioux Falls. Are you up for it? A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 18, 2015 at 9:20 pm
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
7. These days only Jet Blue serves Worcester, MA with jets. Back in late 1988 there were four airlines doing so. Identify those four airlines and – if you feel up to it – the jets they operated into ORH.
I used to fly in/out of ORH often back then. My travels were always on US or CO.

CO flew ORH-EWR; I think it was originally it was with 737s, but then they outsourced to Bar Harbor with ATR42s & Saab 340s. I'm not sure if the switch was before or after the date you site. But, I flew aboard plenty of all three, time and time again.

CO's cousin, EA, owned by common parent Texas Air, offered ORH-LGA service under the name "Eastern Express" which was operated by Bar Harbor Airlines, which Texas Air owned 50%, using Beach 1900s. It may have also carried a second code-share, sporting CO flight numbers too.

US flew ORH-PIT with DC-9s and perhaps the occasional BAC111. I flew this route a few times.

PI, which US hadn't yet purchased, flew ORH-BWI; I'd guess they used some of the Fokker 28s they got when they acquired Empire.

NW flew ORH-DTW; probably with DC-9s.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jan 17, 2015 at 10:09 pm
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

12. When I think of Sioux Falls, South Dakota I think of Western Airlines Electras and 720Bs. In 1988 Western is gone, as are the Electra and 720B from South Dakota skies. Now we’re looking to identify the two airlines that – as of late 1988 – were operating DC-9-10s into Sioux Falls. Are you up for it?
12. Let's go with Northwest and TWA. The NW DC9s probably came from Republic (and before that Southern or perhaps Hughes Airwest) while the TW nines may have come from Ozark.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
TWA was actually an original DC9-10 operator, and of course also acquired those in the OZ fleet as a result of the merger
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... late 1988[/U]
10. Four airlines served the Anchorage to Seattle market with a total of 14 daily and 2 daily except Saturday flights. Identify the airlines and what was similar about all 16 flights.
I'm going with Alaska, Delta, United, and Wien Air ... all with 727-200s
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
TWA was actually an original DC9-10 operator, and of course also acquired those in the OZ fleet as a result of the merger
Yes, of course. However, by the time Trans World acquired Ozark in 1986, the DC9 was not being operated by TWA as the type had been retired from the fleet. The Feb. 15, 1985 OAG reflects this when one looks at the TWA and Ozark schedules for St. Louis where both carriers had hub operations at the time. So the DC9 was reintroduced into the TWA fleet when Ozark was acquired and, of course, D9S equipment formerly operated by OZ was added as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 18, 2015 at 7:43 am
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5. Identify all of the U.S. airlines serving Toronto in late 1977.
5. Allegheny (AL), American (AA), Eastern (EA), North Central (NC) and United (UA).

Bonus quiz item: in early 1976, only one airline was operating direct flights between Toronto and Honolulu. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it flew on the route. And depending on the day of the week, a change in aircraft type was possible....but only in one direction of travel. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 19, 2015 at 12:49 pm
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
7. These days only Jet Blue serves Worcester, MA with jets. Back in late 1988 there were four airlines doing so. Identify those four airlines and – if you feel up to it – the jets they operated into ORH

I used to fly in/out of ORH often back then. My travels were always on US or CO. CO flew ORH-EWR; I think it was originally it was with 737s, but then they outsourced to Bar Harbor with ATR42s & Saab 340s. I'm not sure if the switch was before or after the date you cite. But, I flew aboard plenty of all three, time and time again.

CO's cousin, EA, owned by common parent Texas Air, offered ORH-LGA service under the name "Eastern Express" which was operated by Bar Harbor Airlines, which Texas Air owned 50%, using Beach 1900s. It may have also carried a second code-share, sporting CO flight numbers too.

US flew ORH-PIT with DC-9s and perhaps the occasional BAC111. I flew this route a few times.

PI, which US hadn't yet purchased, flew ORH-BWI; I'd guess they used some of the Fokker 28s they got when they acquired Empire.

NW flew ORH-DTW; probably with DC-9s.
Here's the line-up, based upon schedules published in my 1988 pocket OAG:

Northwest: DTW with DC9
Piedmont: BWI with 73S and F28
United Express: IAD with 146 (Operated by Presidential Airways)
US Air: PIT with D9S

I remember CO operating 737-500s into ORH but per the schedule I have, they only operate five ATRs out of Newark.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

12. When I think of Sioux Falls, South Dakota I think of Western Airlines Electras and 720Bs. In 1988 Western is gone, as are the Electra and 720B from South Dakota skies. Now we’re looking to identify the two airlines that – as of late 1988 – were operating DC-9-10s into Sioux Falls. Are you up for it?

Let's go with Northwest and TWA. The NW DC9s probably came from Republic (and before that Southern or perhaps Hughes Airwest) while the TW nines may have come from Ozark.

NW and TW are correct! The oldest DC-9-10 I ever flew was an ex-EA machine that came to NW via RC. That's right - EA sold it directly to RC in December of 1979. When I flew on it in April of 2003, it was 37 years old. As noted a couple of posts above, the TW 9s came over in the OZ merger, as did the route.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
10. In late 1988 four airlines served the Anchorage to Seattle market with a total of 14 daily and 2 daily except Saturday flights. Identify the airlines and what was similar about all 16 flights.

I'm going with Alaska, Delta, United, and Wien Air ... all with 727-200s

Every bit of your answer is correct with the exception of one airline. Care to have a gander at which one?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA
Bonus quiz item: in early 1976, only one airline was operating direct flights between Toronto and Honolulu. Identify the air carrier and the equipment it flew on the route. And depending on the day of the week, a change in aircraft type was possible....but only in one direction of travel.
CP Air, routing Toronto-Vancouver-Honolulu, and on to Sydney. The assignments changed between DC8-63 and 747 depending on the season.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

5. Identify all of the U.S. airlines serving Toronto in late 1977

Allegheny (AL), American (AA), Eastern (EA), North Central (NC) and United (UA).

Correct! United even came in with a daily 747 from Chicago. That flight was on a HNL-ORD-YYZ routing and did the same on the return trip. There were no CP nonstops showing in the late 1977 schedule I've referenced.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 18, 2015 at 2:08 pm
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:31 pm

9. It used to be that only Eastern Airlines flew into Canada’s capitol city of Ottawa from Syracuse and New York City. In late 1988 the only EA flight into YOW is from Baltimore. A different airline now serves the SYR-YOW route while yet another airline serves the JFK-YOW route. Identify each of these airlines and – if you like – the aircraft utilized on each service.
YOW-SYR was initiated by Empire Airlines in 1984 with F28s after quite a bit of fighting for the route. The route was continued by Piedmont after Empire merged with it and continued later by US Air after it absorbed Piedmont. In 1988, it was PI and I believe still flown with F28s.

YOW-JFK was initiated by Pilgrim in 1981 with F27. Pilgrim was acquired by Business Express in 1986, after an unfortunate accident on another route. Under their new owners, Pilgrim continued the route until they suspended it in early 1987. At that point First Air announced YOW-JFK with 727s, but I don't think they ever started flying. Rather, US Air began flying the route a few months later and was still flying it in late 1988; I'd guess they were flying DC-9s on the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.