Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
1. Identify all of the U.S. airlines operating scheduled flights with the DC-9-10 in (autumn) 1977

Continental, Eastern, Hughes Airwest, Ozark, Texas International, TWA

A good start, J, but your list is missing two airlines. Additionally, one of the airlines you've listed had discontinued flights with its DC-9-15RCs by 1977.

•I know I missed Southern, but can't place the other ... perhaps Delta had a couple before standardizing on the -30
•"discontinued operations with the -15RC" points to Continental, since I think all the other operators save Ozark had the standard -14 variant, and as we know from yesterday OZ kept theirs until the TWA merger in the mid 1980s

That's right (except for Delta). So thus far we've got Eastern, Hughes Airwest, Ozark, Southern, Texas International and TWA. The airline we're missing operated only shorter flights with its 9s in 1977.

Originally Posted by jlemon
1. Wild guess time concerning the remaining unidentified DC-9-10 operator in the fall of 1977: Air Florida.
That's the missing 9! Air Florida also operated a 707, Electra and 727-100 before later standardizing its fleet around the 737-200. Other aircraft flown include the 727-200 and DC-10-30.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Indelaware
How about US Air with DC-9-80s, Yakima to SEA, a route inherited from PSA? This would have been just before US cancelled the route, unable to achieve a profit on the route with such a large plane. Not too long later, US started to close down the PS system wholesale. Sad. One wonders how their west coast business would have fared if Ed Coldony not only kept the smile on PSA's birds, but also supplemented the fleet with a smiling PSA Commuter fleet similar to that which was so successful for US in the east, the Allegheny Commuter operation. Similar ideas later fared well with Alaska/Horizon and United/United Express out of Yakima and several other western cities.
Ah, very good......and I had forgotten about the service operated by the "Poor Sailors Airline" into Yakima (YKM) which I also believe was briefly operated by USAir following its acquisition of PSA. So please allow me to amend the aircraft type and route as I think it was actually the British Aerospace BAe 146-200 being operated to San Francisco (SFO) with some flights possibly making an intermediate stop in Pasco (PSC). This may have been the last jet service YKM ever had.....but not PSC.

And speaking of Pasco......here's a bonus quiz item:

In the late summer of 1994, two airlines were operating jet service into PSC. One airline flew two different jet types into the airport and the other air carrier only operated one type of jet equipment. Identify both airlines, the jet aircraft they flew into Pasco and for bonus points, the respective jet routes flown by each air carrier from PSC. Partially answered - Delta with 72S & 733 service into PSC nonstop from SLC & GEG

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 20, 2015 at 1:26 pm Reason: answer update
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. Of those airlines, which offered First Class aboard the DC-9-10 in 1977?

And that said, let's start the bidding on Question 2 (F service on the little DC9s) -- two for sure:

• Eastern
• Texas International

I was about to include TW, but remembered seeing old timetables that only showed Y

I'll also guess that Ozark offered F service; I wouldn't be surprised to hear from the experts that they indeed did, but neither would I be surprised to hear that they didn't

You have correctly listed one airline that did have a First Class cabin and one that didn't. Now then... which one?

You're right about TWA, though I believe they did return a First Class cabin to those DC-9-14s they inherited via the merger with Ozark. As for Ozark, they definitely offered First Class service until about 1973, after which they went to Standard Class. I remember the garish hues of yellow table cloths and green napkins...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... speaking of Pasco......here's a bonus quiz item:

In the late summer of 1994, two airlines were operating jet service into PSC. One airline flew two different jet types into the airport and the other air carrier only operated one type of jet equipment. Identify both airlines, the jet aircraft they flew into Pasco and for bonus points, the respective jet routes flown by each air carrier from PSC.
one was almost certainly Delta, operating 72S and 733 trips to/from the Salt Lake City hub; as for the other, I'm drawing a blank since I'm pretty sure both Horizon and United Express only had turboprop operations at Tri-Cities (DH8 and EM2, respectively) ... however, the rules require me to guess a second airline, so I will say that Alaska actually had a mainline SEA<-->PSC trip with a 72S
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
one was almost certainly Delta, operating 72S and 733 trips to/from the Salt Lake City hub; as for the other, I'm drawing a blank since I'm pretty sure both Horizon and United Express only had turboprop operations at Tri-Cities (DH8 and EM2, respectively) ... however, the rules require me to guess a second airline, so I will say that Alaska actually had a mainline SEA<-->PSC trip with a 72S
Delta is correct with the Boeing 727-200 and 737-300. And DL was actually operating four flights a day into Pasco at this time. Here are the routings....

DL 1716: GEG-PSC-SLC-SAN
Op: Daily
Equip: 733

DL 1631: ORD-SLC-PSC
Equip: 72S

DL 1041: SLC-PSC-GEG
Equip: 733

DL 219: PHL-CVG-SLC-PSC
Equip: 72S

However, no Alaska Air jet service into Pasco at this time. So that leaves.....
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
... two for sure:
• Eastern
• Texas International
You have correctly listed one airline that did have a First Class cabin and one that didn't. Now then... which one?
EA definitely did ... in fact, I recall that they actually had an all-F configuration called "Eastern One" on some of their DC9 fleet ... mainly operating DCA<-->STL
this was probably long gone by 1977 though
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PSC: Frontier with a 737 from DEN?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
8. If you lived in Yakima, WA in late 1988, only one airline offered jet service to your airport. Identify the airline and the aircraft used. If you like, you may also have a guess at which city those jets flew to.

How about US Air with DC-9-80s, Yakima to SEA, a route inherited from PSA? This would have been just before US cancelled the route, unable to achieve a profit on the route with such a large plane. Not too long later, US started to close down the PS system wholesale. Sad. One wonders how their west coast business would have fared if Ed Coldony not only kept the smile on PSA's birds, but also supplemented the fleet with a smiling PSA Commuter fleet similar to that which was so successful for US in the east, the Allegheny Commuter operation. Similar ideas later fared well with Alaska/Horizon and United/United Express out of Yakima and several other western cities.

Ah, very good......and I had forgotten about the service operated by the "Poor Sailors Airline" into Yakima (YKM) which I also believe was briefly operated by USAir following its acquisition of PSA. So please allow me to amend the aircraft type and route as I think it was actually the British Aerospace BAe 146-200 being operated to San Francisco (SFO) with some flights possibly making an intermediate stop in Pasco (PSC). This may have been the last jet service YKM ever had.....
US Air is correct, as is the MD-80 - at least per the schedule I referenced. jlemon, are you saying that there were once nonstops between SFO and YKM? Interestingly, per my schedule the inbound MD-80s from SEA had routings of SAN-SFO-SEA-YKM and LAX-SFO-SEA-YKM.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EA definitely did ... in fact, I recall that they actually had an all-F configuration called "Eastern One" on some of their DC9 fleet ... mainly operating DCA<-->STL
Yep, and I do not believe that Texas International ever offered a first class cabin on their Nines......although TTa briefly offered a two class service on their new DC9 aircraft when they introduced the type into their fleet in the late 60s.

And getting back to PSA, at one point their route map (February 17, 1988) depicted nonstop service between SFO and both YKM and PSC with some flights possibly being operated on a "triangle" routing such as SFO-YKM-PSC-SFO or SFO-PSC-YKM-SFO. I also seem to recall these services were flown with BAe 146 equipment but I could be mistaken.......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:45 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

... two for sure:
• Eastern
• Texas International

EA definitely did ... in fact, I recall that they actually had an all-F configuration called "Eastern One" on some of their DC9 fleet ... mainly operating DCA<-->STL this was probably long gone by 1977 though

Eastern's the one and only of these airlines - at least for 1977. Trans-Texas Airways definitely had a First Class section aboard its DC-9s, though like Ozark's I believe it disappeared about 1973, well after the name change to Texas International. I have a "trip report" from the second issue of Airliners International magazine in which the magazine's editor and report author (noted TRAINS magazine editor David P. Morgan) indicated that he and his wife had flown First Class aboard TI from Corpus to San Antone in October of 1972. The article did not provide detail about the flight - perhaps because it was so short - and of course it's always possible that even the late, great DPM might have suffered a TYPO!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 19, 2015 at 7:51 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PSC: Frontier with a 737 from DEN?
Nope, not at this time.....although FL did operate 73S service into Pasco at one point.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

okay, PSC again: Northwest to/from MSP (possibly a tag-on from GEG or BOI), equipment a D9S (second choice 72S)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's the latest update on the unanswered questions:

The following two questions are based upon schedules published in a pocket OAG from autumn 1977

3. What was the longest scheduled flight within the continental U.S. being flown with the 727-100? We’re looking for route and airline.

6. Based upon total length – not passenger capacity – what was the longest airliner flying scheduled flights out of Tucson, Arizona in late 1977?

The following question is based upon schedules published in a pocket OAG from late 1988

11. Two airlines offered nonstop service between the U.S. and Mexico with the Convair 580. Identify both airlines and the single international route each served.

Bonus Questions

B-001: Per the same 1988 OAG utilized above, identify the only airline to operate 737-200s between SAN and LAX with six daily departures - all of them 73S equipment.

B-002: Per the same 1988 OAG utilized above, identify the three different airlines that operated nonstop 747 service between Vancouver, BC and the U.S. cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Honolulu. One unique airline per each city, please.

B-003: Post-deregulation, Western Airlines expanded service to a variety of east coast destinations. How did the airline go about making itself better known to people living on the east coast?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 20, 2015 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Bonus Questions
B-002 ... 1988 ... three different airlines that operated nonstop 747 service between Vancouver, BC and the U.S. cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Honolulu. One unique airline per each city, please.
SFO - Cathay Pacific (CX)
LAX - Canadian Pacific (CP)
HNL - Qantas (QF)

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 20, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

okay, PSC again: Northwest to/from MSP (possibly a tag-on from GEG or BOI), equipment a D9S (second choice 72S)
No Northwest mainline jet service into Pasco at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.