Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jlemon

15. What airline was operating Fokker F.28 Fellowship service for British Airways via a code sharing agreement in 1999 with these flights not being operated in Europe?
Could it be...

Canadian Airlines (op by Canadian Regional)

Last edited by KT550; Feb 28, 2021 at 11:17 am Reason: Canadian Regional ref added
Old Feb 28, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Could it be...

Canadian Airlines (op by Canadian Regional)
15. Correct! An example of this arrangement was the F.28 service operated twice a day by Canadian Regional between Ottawa and Toronto. Here are the scheds from YOW to YYZ....

BA* 6478: Ottawa (YOW) 6:25a - 7:24a Toronto (YYZ)
Freq: Daily except Sat. & Sun.
Service classes: C/Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: F28
Note: This flight also operated as CP* 1551

BA* 6496: Ottawa (YOW) 3:00p - 3:59p Toronto (YYZ)
Freq: Daily except Sat.
Service classes: C/Y
Meal service: None
Equip: F28
Note: This flight also operated as CP* 1575

BTW, Inter-Canadien operating Canadian Partner code sharing service for CP was also operating a daily round trip code sharing flight on behalf of BA at this same time between Ottawa and Montreal Dorval with an ATR-42.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
10.It's 1985. You've thoroughly enjoyed a leisurely dinner on a Saturday night with old friends in Montauk on the east end of Long Island. However, you need to get back to work and this means you'll be heading west to San Diego the next morning. You've found a direct flight from the closest airport to Montauk which has jet service with this flight making three stops en route. This service only operates on Sundays. Identify the airline you'll be flying with, the airport you will depart from, all three stops in order and the equipment.
10- not too many options for jet service out of Long Island MacArthur (ISP) ... let’s try United with a 727-200 via Chicago/ORD, Omaha/OMA, and Denver/DEN (I’d also speculate that all segments operated daily, but either the first or last carried a different flight number)

13. (1989) You are heading back to Salt Lake City in 1995 from San Juan. Your direct flight operates daily with two stops being made en route between SJU and SLC. And of course, you are in first class. Identify the airline, both stops and the aircraft type.
13- Delta immediately leaps to my mind, operating via two of Orlando/MCO, Atlanta/ATL, or Dallas/DFW and the equipment being either a Boeing 767-300 or a Lockheed L-1011 ... however, I’ll offer that the real flight in question was a TWA 727-200 stopping in Miami/MIA and St Louis/STL
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA
8. Now it's 1980. You've just finished a business meeting in Oslo and are preparing to depart from close-in Fornebu Airport to Dublin for your next meeting. A connection will be required but you will be flying with the same air carrier with the same aircraft type being operated on both of your nonstop flights. Name the air carrier, the connecting airport and the equipment.
That's a good one. I'm pretty sure the SAS flight from Copenhagen to Dublin, one of very few European operators to serve there in 1980 (what a contrast to nowadays !) still stopped at Manchester. I'll therefore fall back on British Airways, through Terminal 1 at London Heathrow, with a Trident on both sectors.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
10- not too many options for jet service out of Long Island MacArthur (ISP) ... let’s try United with a 727-200 via Chicago/ORD, Omaha/OMA, and Denver/DEN (I’d also speculate that all segments operated daily, but either the first or last carried a different flight number)

13- Delta immediately leaps to my mind, operating via two of Orlando/MCO, Atlanta/ATL, or Dallas/DFW and the equipment being either a Boeing 767-300 or a Lockheed L-1011 ... however, I’ll offer that the real flight in question was a TWA 727-200 stopping in Miami/MIA and St Louis/STL
10. Well, the aircraft was a B727-200 departing from Long Island MacArthur (ISP). However, it wasn't United and stops were not made at Chicago O'Hare, Omaha or Denver. As the flight in question headed west, it did become a daily operation at one of the stops following departure from Long Island MacArthur on Sundays only but used the same flight number from ISP all the way to SAN.

13. TWA with stops at Miami and St. Louis is correct.....but the equipment wasn't a B727-200.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
That's a good one. I'm pretty sure the SAS flight from Copenhagen to Dublin, one of very few European operators to serve there in 1980 (what a contrast to nowadays !) still stopped at Manchester. I'll therefore fall back on British Airways, through Terminal 1 at London Heathrow, with a Trident on both sectors.
8. Correct! Here are the scheds....

BA 643: Oslo Fornebu (FBU) 12:25p - 1:20p London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y (I think...)
Equip: Trident

Connecting to.....

BA 816: London Heathrow (LHR) 2:55p - 4:00p Dublin (DUB)
Service classes: F/Y (I think...)
Equip: Trident
Old Feb 28, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
10- 72S ISP-SAN with three stops: absence of a stop at ORD also takes AA out of the equation, so that seems to leave USAir as the operator of record ... the last two stops were certainly Pittsburgh/PIT and Phoenix/PHX, and I think a daily 72S into PIT was less common from Philadelphia/PHL than from Washington National/DCA, meaning the routing was ISP-DCA-PIT-PHX-SAN

13- I don’t recall any red-and-white wide-bodies on SJU-MIA-STL-SLC, so this would have been an MD-80
Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:15 pm

Separately, in a discussion in the last few hours between the old aircraft buffs of London, we each separately heard a notably loud Antonov 12 which came across, seemingly at the normal 23,000 feet, but very prominent on the ground. I was having a nap inside the house, windows closed, and it woke me up ! Another was 10 miles off the centre line and heard it. And one watching the mainstream Chelsea v Manchester United football game on the television heard it droning over the commentators' voice !

You probably don't get a lot of "Annie's" over in the US, or indeed many 4-engined propeller airliners at all any longer. However, it was routing west from the Brno in the Czech Republic to Shannon, which may well be an indication that she's Coming Your Way ! Here's a video of her at Birmingham, just a couple of months ago.

Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Separately, in a discussion in the last few hours between the old aircraft buffs of London, we each separately heard a notably loud Antonov 12 which came across, seemingly at the normal 23,000 feet, but very prominent on the ground. I was having a nap inside the house, windows closed, and it woke me up ! Another was 10 miles off the centre line and heard it. And one watching the mainstream Chelsea v Manchester United football game on the television heard it droning over the commentators' voice !
we had that match on as well, but I wasn’t paying too much attention to background sounds on the tv because dog was snoring away

You probably don't get a lot of "Annie's" over in the US, or indeed many 4-engined propeller airliners at all any longer ...
in the past couple weeks I’ve heard a pair overhead my house at ~2000 ft on final for 14R at Boeing Field ... per FR24, each was a Lynden Air Cargo Lockheed L-382 (civilian designation for the C-130) inbound from Detroit Willow Run (YIP)
Old Feb 28, 2021, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

I am going to guess Lufthansa with a change in FRA. KWI-FRA on a A340-200 and FRA-SDQ in a A340-300.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:33 am

Ukrainian An-12 UR-CKM of Cavok Air now headed for St Johns Newfoundland. We can only guess at a final destination. They normally do two sectors a day; yesterday it positioned from Marseilles to Brno, and then (I guess) loaded up and headed to Shannon for an overnight stop - and the duty free store, and the Irish Coffee - Shannon's longstanding speciality from prop aircraft days, as described here (where's @miniliq when you need him ... ) :

The late-night flight that inspired a chef to make the first Irish coffee (thejournal.ie)

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 1, 2021 at 5:39 am
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
10- 72S ISP-SAN with three stops: absence of a stop at ORD also takes AA out of the equation, so that seems to leave USAir as the operator of record ... the last two stops were certainly Pittsburgh/PIT and Phoenix/PHX, and I think a daily 72S into PIT was less common from Philadelphia/PHL than from Washington National/DCA, meaning the routing was ISP-DCA-PIT-PHX-SAN

13- I don’t recall any red-and-white wide-bodies on SJU-MIA-STL-SLC, so this would have been an MD-80
10. Correct! Here's the sched...

AL 45: Long Island MacArthur (ISP) 10:50a - 11:48a Washington National (DCA) 12:30p - 1:22p Pittsburgh (PIT) 2:25p - 4:34p Phoenix (PHX) 5:10p - 5:09p San Diego (SAN)
Freq: ISP-DCA Sundays only, PIT-SAN Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch PIT-PHX
Equip: B727-200
Note: USAir was still using the old Allegheny "AL" two letter code at this time

13. Yep and Trans World was the only airline operating MD-80 service between SJU and MIA at this time. Here's the sched....

TW 341: San Juan (SJU) 6:20a - 9:00a Miami (MIA) 9:35a - 11:25a St. Louis (STL) 12:18p - 2:31p Salt Lake City (SLC)
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast SJU-MIA, Snack in F only MIA-STL, Lunch in F & Snack in Y STL-SLC
Equip: MD-80
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

I am going to guess Lufthansa with a change in FRA. KWI-FRA on a A340-200 and FRA-SDQ in a A340-300.
14. That's an excellent guess!

However, it wasn't Lufthansa, the connection was not made at Frankfurt and four engine Airbus aircraft were not operated on either flight.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Irish Coffee

Ukrainian An-12 UR-CKM of Cavok Air now headed for St Johns Newfoundland. We can only guess at a final destination. They normally do two sectors a day; yesterday it positioned from Marseilles to Brno, and then (I guess) loaded up and headed to Shannon for an overnight stop - and the duty free store, and the Irish Coffee - Shannon's longstanding speciality from prop aircraft days, as described here (where's @miniliq when you need him ... ) :

The late-night flight that inspired a chef to make the first Irish coffee (thejournal.ie)
WHBM -- Nice of you to remember me -- I've been faithfully monitoring the Old Timer's Quiz for the last few years even though my travel has dropped precipitously, as have my (miniature) liquor activities. But you came up with an Irish Coffee background that I didn't know -- and worked it into a mention of an Antonov 12 heading for eastern Canada. Well done!
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, speaking of UR-CKM operated by Cavok Air, here's a photo of the old girl on final to Houston Bush Intercontinental about a year and a half ago....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Cavo...vacJ0GLJKT8hsN

It's been some years since I saw an Antonov An-12 parked on the ramp at IAH (adjacent to the FedEx facility) as I no longer visit Houston on business on a regular basis.

And great to hear from miniliq! Hope all is well with you and family in the New Orleans area and that you all survived The Big Deep Freeze of 2021! I'm hoping our orange trees will recover in our backyard here in Lafayette as they are not looking too healthy at the moment.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 1, 2021 at 9:02 am Reason: miniliq greeting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.