Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
7. Lloyd Aereo Boliviano (LAB) operating a B727-200 is correct; however, you need to work on the stops a bit.

This flight did not stop in Asuncion. It did stop in Santa Cruz; however, Santa Cruz was the first stop. And Caracas was the third stop.

So all we need here is the second stop.
Let's try something in the middle (and also middle of the Amazon) Manaus - MAO, for EZE-VVI-MAO-CCS-MIA.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Let's try something in the middle (and also middle of the Amazon) Manaus - MAO, for EZE-VVI-MAO-CCS-MIA.
7. Yep! Here's the sched.....

LB 950: Buenos Aires (EZE) 11:30 - 13:00 Santa Cruz (VVI) 14:00 - 16:15 Manaus (MAO) 17:15 - 19:35 Caracas (CCS) 20:35 - 23:35 Miami (MIA)
Freq: Mondays only
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: B727-200
Old Mar 4, 2021, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
12. I'll take a shot at Air UK with F27s connecting at LGW.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
12. I'll take a shot at Air UK with F27s connecting at LGW.
12. Ah, it wasn't AirUK, the equipment wasn't an F.27 and the connection was not made at London Gatwick.

So here's a hint: the aircraft type was a turboprop.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA
I'll guess National Airlines. I'll also guess aircraft types during the 1960s would have been the Convair 440 followed by the Lockheed L-188 Electra followed by the Boeing 727-100.
Spot on. Always with the smallest type in National's fleet.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Spot on. Always with the smallest type in National's fleet.
It's also my understanding that when National first began serving Key West back in the mid 1940's with the Lockheed Lodestar that the runway was unpaved. And it appears this situation was no problem for the airline that billed itself as flying "The Buccaneer Route".
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As usual, please limit your response to two quiz items per day. And as always, please be as specific as you can when identifying aircraft types.

2. In 1966, this airline ran a print ad with the following headline:

WOULD THE AIRLINE YOU FLY TO AMERICA SCRAP 17,592 COMFORTABLE SEATS TO PUT IN MORE COMFORTABLE ONES?

Name the air carrier that ran this print ad. Hint: this airline is no longer in operation

4. In 1969, this air carrier ran a print ad entitled "America's greatest ski run" which featured a caricature of a snow skier getting ready to launch off the tail of one its aircraft. Name the airline and the aircraft type. ANSWERED - Frontier with the Boeing 727

5. If you wanted to fly on board a McDonnell Douglas DC9-30 nonstop from Miami to Houston in 1973, what airline would you call and what airport in the Houston area would you arrive into? Hint: the airline in question had ceased flying this route by the spring of 1974

6. It's 1974 and you are in Montreal. You are on your way to San Andres Island in the Caribbean Sea. You'll be flying with two different airlines on your journey with a connection being made between your two nonstop flights and different aircraft types being operated on each flight. You'll have just over three hours to make your connection. Identify both air carriers, the connecting airport and the respective equipment. Hint: the connection was made at an airport located in the U.S.

12. Now you are in Maastricht in The Netherlands in 1989 and are on your way back to Dublin via a connection with both nonstop flights being operated by the same airline using the same aircraft type. Your first flight operates three days a week and your second flight is a daily service with a 45 minute connecting time between the flights. Name the air carrier, the connecting airport and the equipment. ANSWERED - Virgin Atlantic with Vickers Viscount service
Just five four three more to go here and I've added some hints.....

And I just got off the phone with the good Captain Rick down in The Keys concerning his Manta 46 foot catamaran which we've now chartered. It's been awhile since we've sailed on a cat of this type and we are really looking forward to our adventure at sea.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 6, 2021 at 4:54 pm Reason: answer updates
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:23 am

12. Now you are in Maastricht in The Netherlands in 1989 and are on your way back to Dublin via a connection with both nonstop flights being operated by the same airline using the same aircraft type. Your first flight operates three days a week and your second flight is a daily service with a 45 minute connecting time between the flights. Name the air carrier, the connecting airport and the equipment. It wasn't AirUK, theaircraft wasn't an F.27 and the connection was not made at LGW. Hint: the equipment was a turboprop.
I did a jump seat LGW-Eindhoven-Maastricht in 1981 on a NLM F27; but as it's a turboprop and *not* a F27, I'll guess at a NLM Fokker 50 connecting in AMS.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
4. In 1969, this air carrier ran a print ad entitled "America's greatest ski run" which featured a caricature of a snow skier getting ready to launch off the tail of one its aircraft. Name the airline and the aircraft type. Hint: the equipment we are looking for is a Boeing aircraft
4- well, on a Classic 737 (-100/-200) the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer fairs into the aft fuselage with a contour not unlike a ski jump

how about Western, touting their service to airports such as Pocatello and West Yellowstone that they had formerly served with the Electra
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
I did a jump seat LGW-Eindhoven-Maastricht in 1981 on a NLM F27; but as it's a turboprop and *not* a F27, I'll guess at a NLM Fokker 50 connecting in AMS.
12. An excellent guess!

However, it wasn't NLM, the equipment wasn't a Fokker 50 and the connection was not made at Amsterdam.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
4- well, on a Classic 737 (-100/-200) the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer fairs into the aft fuselage with a contour not unlike a ski jump

how about Western, touting their service to airports such as Pocatello and West Yellowstone that they had formerly served with the Electra
4. Nope, it wasn't Western nor was the equipment a Boeing 737-100 or -200.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:37 am

12. An excellent guess!

However, it wasn't NLM, the equipment wasn't a Fokker 50 and the connection was not made at Amsterdam.

Please guess again, sir!
Hmmm, well, looking at my log I also seem to have flown on a Virgin Viscount G-AOYN between Luton LTN and DUB in March 1989. I recall fondly the Virgin Viscount - which I assume was operated by British Air Ferries - operating LGW-MST to connect with the Virgin transatlantic B747 flight(s) at the time. But as the connection was not made at LGW, I can only assume that the service may have transferred to Luton?

So I'll try Virgin Atlantic, Vickers Viscount, Luton LTN.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
Hmmm, well, looking at my log I also seem to have flown on a Virgin Viscount G-AOYN between Luton LTN and DUB in March 1989. I recall fondly the Virgin Viscount - which I assume was operated by British Air Ferries - operating LGW-MST to connect with the Virgin transatlantic B747 flight(s) at the time. But as the connection was not made at LGW, I can only assume that the service may have transferred to Luton?

So I'll try Virgin Atlantic, Vickers Viscount, Luton LTN.
12. Virgin Atlantic with Vickers Viscount service is correct! Here are the scheds....

VS 203: Maastricht (MST) 2:45p - 3:15p London Luton (LTN)
Freq: Mondays, Fridays and Sundays only
Service class: Y (I think)
Equip: Viscount

Connecting to....

VS 305: London Luton (LTN) 4:00p - 5:20p Dublin (DUB)
Freq: Daily
Service class: Y (I think)
Equip: Viscount

As noted, I believe the Viscount cabin on these flights was configured all-coach; however, you may wish to comment on this as you had the opportunity to fly on the airplane.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: BA
Connection between the two flights on Maastricht to Dublin pretty assured, as they only had the one aircraft, leased from BAF but painted in Virgin livery. It helped that BAF, who would do this on lots of short/medium term leases, owned their own paint shop at their Southend airport base, which, long after the airline has disappeared, still rolls on today finding contract painting work from all over, under a different owner.

Though I once got nearly caught out by this at London City, on an Alitalia flight to Milan. The two daily services always operated with a 30-minute turnround there, in and out. I had missed that Alitalia had stopped using their own-liveried 146/RJ aircraft, and changed to subcontracting to Cityjet, same type, who had lots of flights in/out. The Milan inbound was an hour late, so we nonchalantly sat and had coffee, saw the board show go to gate, I of course said we could wait a while, get to final call, I just happen to look out of the window and see a Cityjet 146 being prepared for departure there, with nothing else shown for that gate. So hotfoot down there, we are some of the last. So much for being "aviation-knowledgeable" !

Colleague did actually miss a flight once because of this. He was doing regular work using Stansted to Edinburgh, same flight each time, and knew that the "go to gate" and "final call" were always done ludicrously early. So he waited until the normal 15 minutes before departure, went to the indicated gate, and discovered that instead of the normal direct entry, this was a bus gate, as the aircraft today was on a remote stand, and the last shuttle bus had gone ...
jlemon likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 6, 2021 at 11:46 am
Old Mar 6, 2021, 12:51 pm

Regarding the Virgin Viscount, I recall nothing of the flight whatsoever as it was after a rather Guinnessy evening.

Nearly missing a flight due aviation inside knowledge chimes with me though, happily sat on the observation deck at a regional German airport well past scheduled departure time as there was no Germania (?) 737 in sight. Just by chance checked the screen to find ‘last call’ showing. The flight had been subbed by a WDL 146; a mad dash and the walk of shame followed by a rapidly closing main door followed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.