Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
35. Nope, it wasn't TWA......
Hmmm. Was this Berlin-London 727 by United ?

Regarding the Air Gambia 707, this was a very odd operation. As stated, it did actually run through Gatwick, on the days that it actually ran to schedule.... Gambia became a bit of a popular holiday resort by 1990 at a handful of big Western-style hotels on the beach (the 1994 coup there knocked this) both B Cal and later the UK holiday airlines had run there. Air Gambia was somehow tied up with another operator called Omega Air, who had long-in-the-tooth 707s registered in a range of places, one in Gambia, others in Honduras, but were actually based in the UK out of Manston airport about 80 miles from London. Most of their 1990s 707 operation was cargo, and the passenger ones doing odd sub-charters for other operators short of capacity, using a band of otherwise retired UK 707 crews paid by the flight. One aircraft was fully painted up in Air Gambia livery, but whether it was the one on the run that week was a chance. Omega Air also owned quite a substantial 707/747 maintenance organisation at Manston, where all sorts of odd aircraft could be seen at times, often parked long term between operators, or being broken up for parts. I think their Air Gambia operations finished with the coup.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Hmmm. Was this Berlin-London 727 by United ?
35. Correct! And United was operating a couple of flights a day. Here are the scheds....

UA 921: Berlin Tegel (TXL) 07:00 - 08:00 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Daily
Equip: B727-200

UA 955: Berlin Tegel (TXL) 08:25 - 09:30 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Thursdays and Sundays only

UA 933: Berlin Tegel (TXL) 08:25 - 09:30 London Heathrow (LHR)
Freq: Daily except Thursdays and Sundays

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 13, 2019 at 4:33 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:41 pm

35. Correct! And United was operating a couple of flights a day.
Yes. For 1993, who was that imbecile above who wrote Delta .... ah, I see it was me. Only two US and two UK carriers were allowed to run USA flights from Heathrow under the agreement at the time, longstanding it had been Pan Am and TWA of course, but around 1992 Pan Am sold their London flights out to United, and TWA to American.

United shipped over several of their US fleet of 727s for these odd European tag-ons, which seemed to spend much of their time parked together on the remote stands alongside the north runway at Heathrow. The operation didn't last too long. Delta meanwhile took over most of the rest of Pan Am's transatlantic operation, including a hub operation at Frankfurt, but I seem to recall that Delta paid pretty much the same for all this as United did just for Heathrow.

The old Pan Am cabin crew base at Heathrow was part of the United inheritance, and that still continues to this day, which is why (apparently) you will find UK cabin crew on many United services from London, including apparently just a few old stagers left from the Pan Am days.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:49 pm

Honduras-registered Air Gambia 707 at the Omega base at Manston

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...323B_Hoppe.jpg
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
42. It wasn't USAir and the stop was not made at CLT. But you have correctly guessed the aircraft type: the Fokker 100.
Only other U.S. airline that had those was American, eh? If that’s the case, then ORD as the stop makes the most sense.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by strickerj

Only other U.S. airline that had those was American, eh? If that’s the case, then ORD as the stop makes the most sense.

42. Well, Midway (JI) operated the Fokker 100 as well and they were doing so in 1994....

However, your guess of American is correct! Here's the sched...

AA 1149: Harrisburg (MDT) 7:03a - 7:58a Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 9:15a - 11:30a New Orleans (MSY)
Equip: Fokker 100
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack in F/Y HAR-ORD, Breakfast in F only ORD-MSY

BTW, this was the only flight operated by any airline with the Fokker 100 into New Orleans at this time.

And I'll say this about the New Orleans Saints....they are definitely not boring!

Final score in tonight's game: Saints 20, Eagles 14.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 14, 2019 at 9:21 am Reason: airport code correction
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. For 1993, who was that imbecile above who wrote Delta .... ah, I see it was me. Only two US and two UK carriers were allowed to run USA flights from Heathrow under the agreement at the time, longstanding it had been Pan Am and TWA of course, but around 1992 Pan Am sold their London flights out to United, and TWA to American.

United shipped over several of their US fleet of 727s for these odd European tag-ons, which seemed to spend much of their time parked together on the remote stands alongside the north runway at Heathrow. The operation didn't last too long. Delta meanwhile took over most of the rest of Pan Am's transatlantic operation, including a hub operation at Frankfurt, but I seem to recall that Delta paid pretty much the same for all this as United did just for Heathrow.

The old Pan Am cabin crew base at Heathrow was part of the United inheritance, and that still continues to this day, which is why (apparently) you will find UK cabin crew on many United services from London, including apparently just a few old stagers left from the Pan Am days.
WHBM, I can categorically state that the "i" word most definitely does not apply to you, sir.

And we once again thank you for your invaluable participation, knowledge and insights here on the OTAQ&D.
Seat 2A likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
42. Well, Midway (JI) operated the Fokker 100 as well and they were doing so in 1994....

However, your guess of American is correct! Here's the sched...

AA 1149: Harrisburg (HAR) 7:03a - 7:58a Chicago O'Hare (ORD) 9:15a - 11:30a New Orleans (MSY)
Equip: Fokker 100
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack in F/Y HAR-ORD, Breakfast in F only ORD-MSY

BTW, this was the only flight operated by any airline with the Fokker 100 into New Orleans at this time.

And I'll say this about the New Orleans Saints....they are definitely not boring!

Final score in tonight's game: Saints 20, Eagles 14.
Ah, I didn’t know about Midway, thanks.

Glad to hear about the Saints - I don’t follow any more, but they were the closest NFL team when I was a kid in Mississippi, so we had to root for them even when they sucked.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

Glad to hear about the Saints - I don’t follow any more, but they were the closest NFL team when I was a kid in Mississippi, so we had to root for them even when they sucked.
Yes, they had a slightly different name back then: the Aint's.......
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
.... ah, I see it was me. Only two US and two UK carriers were allowed to run USA flights from Heathrow under the agreement at the time, longstanding it had been Pan Am and TWA of course, but around 1992 Pan Am sold their London flights out to United, and TWA to American.
Thanks for the clarification I thought it was the LHR TATL rights that was the issue (not that it'd any benefit to fly the intra-European flights to LHR when the TATL flights left from LGW). I thought the intra-Europe rights for U.S airlines stemmed from Germany being under allied occupation and Berlin not being under the jurisdiction of the German governments, and were extinguished when the GDR was absorbed into the FRG. I knew someone who grew in Europe as his father flew 737s (-200s?) for PA. His father loved being home almost every night - one of the few flight crew jobs at PA where you could do that.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
46. You are in New York City and need to travel to Vancouver, B.C. for a meeting. At this time, there is no nonstop service from any airport in the NYC area to YVR. However, one airline (and only one) does operate one direct flight a day to Vancouver which makes two stops en route. Name the airport you will depart from in the NYC area, the airline, the two stops and the aircraft.
I think there'd only be two candidates for this service at the time pre open skies) and the two-stop probably eliminates one. I am going to guess UA flying LGA-IAD-ORD-YVR with a 757-200.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
re 42- the code for Harrisburg is actually MDT, referring to the former Olmsted AFB
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
47. It's the spring of 1996 and you need to travel from Fresno to Des Moines on business. Luckily, there's a direct one stop flight departing FAT at 7:20 am which will get you into DSM at 2:10 pm. Perfect! Identify the air carrier, the stop and equipment..

Another great guess! But no, it wasn't AA, the stop was not made at DFW and the equipment wasn't an MD-80.
Hmm... alright, wild guess time. On the possibility that this question would involve something out of the ordinary, I recall America West Express operating a Fokker 70 from PHX into DSM back about that time. I don't know about FAT, but let's go with America West Express operating the Fokker 70 via PHX.

By the way. greetings from Needles, California - home to Snoopy's brother Spike.

And hey now - how 'bout them Saints?!! 20-14 Who dat?!
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
40. It's a lovely evening in Bakersfield where you've just arrived following an excellent backpacking hiking trip in the southern Sierra Nevada mountains of California. It's also time to get back to business and that means flying to Montreal for a meeting. You've been thinking that you'll need to catch a Beechcraft 1900C, British Aerospace BAe Jetstream 31 or Swearingen Metro III commuter propjet from BFL down to LAX and make a connection when you are totally amazed to discover there is direct two stop service departing from Bakersfield in the morning to Montreal! Book em, Dano! Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the aircraft type.
40- if memory serves, the only mainline jet service from BFL at this time was provided by American, running MD-80s to their Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) hub ... figuring that AA’s only service to YUL was out of their Chicago O’Hare (ORD) hub, I think we have the answer
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
. I thought the intra-Europe rights for U.S airlines stemmed from Germany being under allied occupation and Berlin not being under the jurisdiction of the German governments, and were extinguished when the GDR was absorbed into the FRG.
Berlin until 1991 was a unique case, but the US carriers had a range of quite liberal rights within Europe, arising from their early days when flights hopped across the various points. The way the rights were written later allowed different airport combinations, and indeed different later carriers like Air Florida, to have the same, and were only really lost due to becoming uneconomic, and also difficult to organise. I think the last one of all at Heathrow was a United 767 which ran on to Brussels, given up maybe 15 years ago. Back in 1980, for example, both TWA (a 707) and Pan Am (a 747, continuing round the world) had earlier daily departures to Frankfurt than either BA or LH, and picked up some business traffic. It took a while for the Pan Am European 727 fleet run out of Berlin (though maintained at Frankfurt) to get moved on to change-of-gauge flights at Heathrow, probably late 1970s, until then it was the transatlantic aircraft working through. I can't recall TWA 727s at Heathrow, but they certainly had them elsewhere in Europe. Alexander Frater in "Beyond the Blue Horizon" wrote of getting a TWA 727 from Rome to Athens in 1985, which was continuing to Tel Aviv, and was fully booked with passengers from a TWA 747 arriving in Rome, but this was so late that the 727 was sent off in isolation, with half-a-dozen passengers.

Just in passing, the Berlin Corridor flights were controlled by the Allied Four Powers (UK, France, US, Soviet Union), and very specifically nothing to do with the FRG or GDR

Last edited by WHBM; Jan 14, 2019 at 5:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.