Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
Jersey European Airways, BAe 146
27. Ah, it wasn't Jersey European nor was the aircraft in question a BAe 146.

Jersey European (JY) was operating nonstop flights from Jersey to London Gatwick at this time with the BAe 146 and also with the Fokker F27.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
1. Seat 2A is correct concerning his revised routing for a flight operated by Trans-Canada (TCA) with a Vickers Vanguard turboprop from Vancouver to Montreal in 1962. Here's the sched.....

TC 502: Vancouver (YVR) 10:45a - 12:25p Edmonton (YEG) 1:40p - 5:35p Winnipeg (YWG) 6:00p - 9:45p Toronto (YYZ) 10:45p - 11:40p Ottawa (YOW) 11:59p - 12:30a Montreal (YUL)
Freq: Daily
Equip: VANGUARD
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Lunch YVR-YYC, Dinner YWG-YYZ

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 29, 2018 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
27. Ah, it wasn't Jersey European nor was the aircraft in question a BAe 146.

Jersey European (JY) was operating nonstop flights from Jersey to London Gatwick at this time with the BAe 146 and also with the Fokker F27.

Please guess again, sir!
British Midland Airways with a DC-9.
They still had a few DC-9-15 then as well as DC-9-32s.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
24. What a beautiful Saturday afternoon in Montego Bay! ... And then the phone rings....."Hey buddy, can you meet me Monday morning at the Berkeley Marina in the S.F. Bay Area?” ... You will depart from Montego Bay on Sunday afternoon on board a long nonstop flight. You will then connect to another airline for a very short nonstop flight to your final destination which just happens to be the airport located the least distance from the Berkeley Marina. You will also have exactly one hour to make your interline connection. Identify both airlines, the connecting airport, the two different aircraft types you'll be flying on and the airport you will arrive into at your final destination.
24- dissecting this back to front, I’d say the closest airport to the Berkeley marina would be Oakland (OAK); “a long nonstop flight from MBJ followed by a very short nonstop to OAK” would imply the connecting point is San Francisco (SFO)

I know Air Jamaica ran their A300s MBJ<—>LAX, but I can’t recall them at SFO, and I don’t think any other U.S. majors flew the route ... this was around the time that North American ran a 757 as a LAX<—>JFK segment of an El Al flight, so I’ll speculate that perhaps they operated this one on their own

by 1991 SFO-OAK wasn’t seeing nearly the number of tag-end flights as it had 20 years earlier ... how about a Continental MD-80
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

British Midland Airways with a DC-9.
They still had a few DC-9-15 then as well as DC-9-32s.
27. Correct! British Midland (BD) was operating a very limited, seasonal schedule from Jersey (JER) in the Channel Islands to Luton Airport (LTN) in the fall of 1993. In fact, BD was only operating four flights a week nonstop from JER to LTN at this time with Saturday and Sunday service operated with a DC-9-15 as well as Saturday and Sunday service operated with a BAe ATP. All four of these flights were discontinued for the season by November 1 of that year.

BTW, I hope to visit Jersey one of these fine days as my grandfather's ancestors lived on the island.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 29, 2018 at 9:19 am
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

24- dissecting this back to front, I’d say the closest airport to the Berkeley marina would be Oakland (OAK); “a long nonstop flight from MBJ followed by a very short nonstop to OAK” would imply the connecting point is San Francisco (SFO)

I know Air Jamaica ran their A300s MBJ<—>LAX, but I can’t recall them at SFO, and I don’t think any other U.S. majors flew the route ... this was around the time that North American ran a 757 as a LAX<—>JFK segment of an El Al flight, so I’ll speculate that perhaps they operated this one on their own

by 1991 SFO-OAK wasn’t seeing nearly the number of tag-end flights as it had 20 years earlier ... how about a Continental MD-80
24. A fine start! And here's how your responses stack up....

* Final destination airport - Oakland (OAK): Yes!
* Connecting airport - San Francisco (SFO): Yes!
* North American operating MBJ-SFO nonstop: Nope
* Boeing 757-200 operating MBJ-SFO nonstop: Yes!
* Continental operating SFO-OAK: Nope
* McDonnell Douglas MD-80 operating SFO-OAK: Yes!

Please continue, sir!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
23. It's been a great ski trip in Vail, Colorado but it's time to get back to work. And once again you are headed to San Francisco. You are booked on a nonstop flight to SFO from the Eagle County Airport (EGE) which departs at high noon. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

Where SFO's concerned, I usually think of United but as an inveterate reader of the OAG, I seem to recall American running flights between EGE and the West Coast. So then, let's go with American operating a 727-200

30. If you wanted to fly on board an MD-90 nonstop to Oklahoma City at this time, what airline would you call and what airport would you depart from?

1999? This sounds like Reno Air. Unless it were very late in 1999 in which case I'd have to go with American post merger. The originating airport would likely be Las Vegas.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 29, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
24. A fine start! And here's how your responses stack up....

* Final destination airport - Oakland (OAK): Yes!
* Connecting airport - San Francisco (SFO): Yes!
* North American operating MBJ-SFO nonstop: Nope
* Boeing 757-200 operating MBJ-SFO nonstop: Yes!
* Continental operating SFO-OAK: Nope
* McDonnell Douglas MD-80 operating SFO-OAK: Yes!

Please continue, sir!
24- well, the next non-major 757 operator I can come up with is American Trans Air (ATA) ... as for a different MadDog operator on SFO-OAK, perhaps USAir with a former PSA jet

Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:45 pm

26. Two airlines were offering daily nonstop service from Palma, Mallorca Island (PMI) to London Heathrow. Name both air carriers and the different aircraft types they operated on the route.
Let's try

Iberia using DC-9-87 (MD-87)

and a bit of a guess

British Midland with a Boeing 737 (could have been a 300, 400 or 500 at that time)

KT
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18. It's a very cold day in late winter in Fairbanks. You've been up on the North Slope of Alaska on business and have stopped in Fairbanks on your way back to the Lower 48 in order to visit with a friend prior to flying to your next destination which will be Miami. Of course, there are no nonstop flights from FAI to MIA so you have decided that your best course of action will be to make one connection. The good news is that you will be on the same airline for your entire journey. In fact, both flights will be operated with the exact same type of aircraft. You will depart from Fairbanks in the evening and make one intermediate stop en route to your connecting city where you will have a leisurely two hours and 34 minutes to make the connection. You will then fly nonstop to Miami. Identify the airline, the location of the stop the first flight will make, the connecting airport and the same aircraft type operated on both flights.
18- I’m drawing a blank as to whether Northwest was still operating into FAI in early 1985, so let’s go with United running a redeye FAI-Anchorage (ANC)-Chicago (ORD) and then continuing to MIA, both flights operating with a DC-8-71
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:01 pm

17. Name an airline that was operating Alaska Airlines Commuter Service with jet equipment at this time and also identify the aircraft type.
AirPac with a BAe 146-100
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
23. It's been a great ski trip in Vail, Colorado but it's time to get back to work. And once again you are headed to San Francisco. You are booked on a nonstop flight to SFO from the Eagle County Airport (EGE) which departs at high noon. Name the airline and the aircraft type.

Where SFO's concerned, I usually think of United but as an inveterate reader of the OAG, I seem to recall American running flights between EGE and the West Coast. So then, let's go with American operating a 727-200

30. If you wanted to fly on board an MD-90 nonstop to Oklahoma City at this time, what airline would you call and what airport would you depart from?

1999? This sounds like Reno Air. Unless it were very late in 1999 in which case I'd have to go with American post merger. The originating airport would likely be Las Vegas.
If it isn’t Reno Air, then I’d guess Delta (as they were the only other U.S. operator of the type, and I believe the only remaining one) from SLC. (I recall they were mostly based there.)
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

23. Well, it wasn't American....and it wasn't United, either. Plus the aircraft in question wasn't a 727-200.

However, the equipment was manufactured by Boeing. Please guess again, sir!

30. Ah, it was late in 1999! And American is correct with the McDonnell Douglas MD-90 operated on this flight being an ex-Reno Air aircraft. Here's the complete sched....

AA 2736: Orange County (SNA) 11:39a - 12:38p Las Vegas (LAS) 1:13p - 5:31p Oklahoma City (OKC)

Freq: Daily
Equip: M90
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch in F only LAS-OKC
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

24- well, the next non-major 757 operator I can come up with is American Trans Air (ATA) ... as for a different MadDog operator on SFO-OAK, perhaps USAir with a former PSA jet

24. You continue to make good progress as the airline operating the MBJ-SFO nonstop was indeed ATA! However, the SFO-OAK flight was not operated by USAir so please guess again. And I believe there may have been a very good reason for this trans-bay positioning flight.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's try

Iberia using DC-9-87 (MD-87) and a bit of a guess.....British Midland with a Boeing 737 (could have been a 300, 400 or 500 at that time)

KT
26. British Midland (BD) was definitely operating nonstop service from Palma (PMI) on the island of Mallorca to London Heathrow at this time....but not with a Boeing 737-300, -400 or -500.

And the other airline wasn't Iberia nor was the equipment an MD-87. However, the air carrier in question was based in Spain.

Please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 30, 2018 at 3:23 pm Reason: Big Time Correction concerning the country the other air carrier was based in

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.