Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here are the remaining unanswered questions:

4. Name four other U.S. airlines whose inflight brands used the word “Gold” or “Golden” in their respective titles CO, DL, EA & MO. Anybody care to hazard a guess at one more?

5. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon if you were to pay a visit to “The Club” lounge?

141. Bonus Question: Can anyone identify how many airlines operated jets between MCO and TPA in the spring of 1986?

17. In the spring of 1986, two airlines operated jet service between Providenciales and Miami. Identify the airlines and the aircraft used.
British Caribbean and Cayman Airways were suggested by jlemon. However, we're looking for two different airlines...

171. JL Bonus Question: In early 1976, only one airline was operating scheduled service from Providenciales to Miami. This flight operated three days a week and two intermediate stops were made en route from PLS to MIA. Identify the air carrier, the equipment it flew on the route and the two stops. Plus, this flight then continued on from Miami to another destination. So for bonus points, name this final destination as well.

19. Oooooooo! Lookee there! There’s a 707 flying between Miami and Grenada! In the spring of 1986 no less! Let’s book it! Which airline do we call?

21. I’ve found three U.S. airlines that still operate scheduled flights with the Lockheed Electra in the spring of 1986. Although each airline operates in different parts of the country, a common thread connects each of these airlines’ flights. Can you identify the three airlines and the similarity in their flights?
WHBM has identified Reeve Aleutian. We're still looking for two more scheduled operators plus the common thread between all three operations

223: JL Bonus Question: What was the longest nonstop route being flown from OMA in early 1976? Also identify the air carrier and the equipment it operated on the route. Partially Answered

225: JL Bonus Question: What was the longest route being flown from Tulsa in early 1976? What airline flew it and what was the aircraft type?

The following four questions were taken from schedules published in the summer of 2001. We’re going to take a roundabout route between Anchorage and Honolulu.

28. The first segment has us flying nonstop between Anchorage and Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. Identify the airline and aircraft type that we’ll be flying upon. A N S W E R E D

29. From Whitehorse nonstop down to Vancouver, we have a choice of two airlines. One of them is Air Canada, operating a 737-200. We’d like to fly aboard the other airline though. Please identify it and the aircraft it flew on the YXY-YVR route.
It's not Air North...

30. Continuing on to Portland, Oregon, we’ve booked ourselves a seat aboard the only jet operating nonstop on this route. Identify the jet and the airline that flies it.

31. Finally, it’s on to Honolulu! The PDX-HNL market is served by a single daily nonstop flight. Identify the airline and the aircraft used. A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 4, 2015 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:59 am

31. Finally, it’s on to Honolulu! The PDX-HNL market is served by a single daily nonstop flight. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.[/QUOTE]

Alaska (AS) on a 737-700.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
4. Name four other U.S. airlines whose inflight brands used the word “Gold” or “Golden” in their respective titles CO, DL, EA & MO. Anybody care to hazard a guess at one more?
In addition to the gold coins on MO, they offered "Golden Metropolitan Service."

Last edited by Indelaware; Jan 3, 2015 at 12:26 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
(Summer 2001) 31. Finally, it’s on to Honolulu! The PDX-HNL market is served by a single daily nonstop flight. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

Alaska (AS) on a 737-700.

This is a bit early for Alaska, which didn't commence flights to Hawaii until October of 2007. Please guess again!

In addition to the gold coins on MO, they offered "Golden Metropolitan Service".

Was "Golden Metropolitan Service" an actual inflight service or rather a reference to Mohawk's Convair 440 "Metropolitan" flights?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 3, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

17. In the spring of 1986, two airlines operated jet service between Providenciales and Miami. Identify the airlines and the aircraft used.

The following question was taken from schedules published in the summer of 2001. We’re going to take a roundabout route between Anchorage and Honolulu.

31. Finally, it’s on to Honolulu! The PDX-HNL market is served by a single daily nonstop flight. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.
17. Let's go with Eastern and Pan Am, both operating 72S aircraft.

And here's a bonus quiz item:

217. In early 1976, only one airline was operating scheduled service from Providenciales to Miami. This flight operated three days a week and two intermediate stops were made en route from PLS to MIA. Identify the air carrier, the equipment it flew on the route and the two stops. Plus, this flight then continued on from Miami to another destination. So for bonus points, name this final destination as well. ANSWERED

31. Hawaiian Air with McDonnell Douglas DC-10-10 service (perhaps a former AA aircraft).

Meantime, lots of lightning, thunder and heavy rain at present in the LFT area and we are once again under a tornado watch......

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 6, 2015 at 7:21 pm Reason: changed equip guess on 31. & answer update
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Let's go with Eastern and Pan Am, both operating 72S aircraft.

You've got one of the airlines correct, and that airline was indeed operating a 727-200. The other airline was operating a twin engine jet. Now then, which of the above airlines is correct...

31. Finally, it’s on to Honolulu! In the summer of 2001, the PDX-HNL market is served by a single daily nonstop flight. Identify the airline and the aircraft used.

Hawaiian Air with McDonnell Douglas DC-10-10 service (perhaps a former AA aircraft).

Right on! Hawaiian leased a total of 9 DC-10-10s from American starting in 1994. It also leased a single DC-10-30 from Continental. The DC-10s were retired in 2002/3 and replaced with 767-300s.

Here's the schedule:

HA 025 PDX-HNL Dep. 910a Arr. 1145a Eq. D10 Meal: Luncheon

I can't help but wonder if AA's -10s still had the four-seat tables in the center of the First Class cabin... I don't believe the -30s ever did, but I had a couple occasions to fly aboard table equipped -10s in the early 80s. Those tables made for a nice meal environment and, on one flight, a rousing poker game.

Meantime, lots of lightning, thunder and heavy rain at present in the LFT area and we are once again under a tornado watch......

At present it's clear and -23°F her at latitude 65°N.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

17. Time to refine my answer a bit here, I see....

I believe the Boeing 727-200 operator between MIA and PLS was Pan Am. PA was also probably flying a 72S between Miami and Grand Turk (GDT) at this same time.

So that leaves the other airline which we now know operated twin engine jet equipment....

At one point, I think that Turks and Caicos Airways was actually flying a Boeing 737-200 between PLS/GDT and MIA....however, I do not think they were doing so in 1986 but instead did so later around 1994.

So that means it's once again wild guess time: Atlantic Gulf with a BAC One-Eleven.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

17. In the spring of 1986, two airlines operated jet service between Providenciales and Miami. Identify the airlines and the aircraft used

Time to refine my answer a bit here, I see....

I believe the Boeing 727-200 operator between MIA and PLS was Pan Am. PA was also probably flying a 72S between Miami and Grand Turk (GDT) at this same time.

So that leaves the other airline which we now know operated twin engine jet equipment....

At one point, I think that Turks and Caicos Airways was actually flying a Boeing 737-200 between PLS/GDT and MIA....however, I do not think they were doing so in 1986 but instead did so later around 1994.

So that means it's once again wild guess time: Atlantic Gulf with a BAC One-Eleven.

And we have a winner! HERE is an interesting excerpt from the Wikipedia entry on Atlantic Gulf's BAC-111 operations...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by WHBM
Originally Posted by Seat 2A:

Any idea whether or not Aer Lingus had to pull into Gander or Reykjavik very often when using those pure jet 720-048s on westbound flights?
I never heard of this happening at all. If they did have to pull in on the way to New York they would more likely use Boston, where Aer Lingus had a service right from the start of their jet operations. Such restrictions generally arise on departures from hot-and-high places. I can assure you that Shannon never falls into either category !
This goes back 2½ years to post 1422, where I see (above) I aloofly dismissed that the original Aer Lingus 720s might not have had the range for Shannon to the US.

Just over Christmas, reading an Aer Lingus history, I discovered it was by no means unknown on westbound flights for these aircraft to have to drop in to either Gander or Bangor on the way, not only to New York but even the shorter flight to Boston. In fact, it more than a little embarrassingly happened on the inaugural flight, stuffed with Irish and US VIPs, politicians, journalists, etc, where they had to go into Gander on the way.

The 720B however was a completely different affair, it was a big modification, not only new engines but a lot of system changes, more fuel capacity, and such like. I believe only American actually did the conversion on their original 720 aircraft.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
141. Bonus Question: Can anyone identify how many airlines operated jets between MCO and TPA in the spring of 1986?
I can come up with eight candidates:
  1. Delta
  2. Eastern
  3. Northwest
  4. Ozark *
  5. Pan Am
  6. Republic
  7. TWA *
  8. United
* - the caveat is that TW acquired OZ in 1986; I'm not sure whether both actually operated the route at the same time

225: JL Bonus Question: What was the longest route being flown from Tulsa in early 1976? What airline flew it and what was the aircraft type?
seems to me that Braniff ran TUL<-->IAD with a 727 (probably a -100)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

I can come up with eight candidates:
  1. Delta Not between MCO and TPA but yes - between TPA and MCO
  2. Eastern Yes, with 6 daily flights
  3. Northwest Yes, with 2 daily flights
  4. Ozark Yes, with 1 daily flight
  5. Pan Am No flights in either direction
  6. Republic Yes, with 3 daily flights
  7. TWA No flights in either direction
  8. United Yes, with 1 daily flight, but none between TPA and MCO

So, we're missing two airlines on the MCO-TPA run - both of them post deregulation carriers...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

171. JL Bonus Question: In early 1976, only one airline was operating scheduled service from Providenciales to Miami. This flight operated three days a week and two intermediate stops were made en route from PLS to MIA. Identify the air carrier, the equipment it flew on the route and the two stops. Plus, this flight then continued on from Miami to another destination. So for bonus points, name this final destination as well.

This was pre-deregulation, so I'm thinking my first choice would have to be Bahamasair with stops in Grand Turk and Nassau, then Miami continuing on to Ft. Lauderdale. Aircraft would have been a BAC-111 in '76.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I do recall seeing a brand new, Northwest operated B747-400 land at PHX some years ago while making a connection there on America West. The flight was inbound from MSP. NW had just introduced the type into their fleet and was operating scheduled domestic trips with the 744, probably to familiarize their flight and cabin crews with the airplane before commencing transpac international service.

And I believe another long time 747 operator into PHX was British Airways.

Meantime, a squall line with strong thunderstorms is now bearing down on us in advance of the latest cold front. We should see our coldest air temps thus far this winter by midweek with low temps in the upper 20s F.......
Yes, NW used the 747-400 on the MSP-PHX route as a familiarizing route, and British didn't start operating LGW-PHX until 1996 - with a DC-10 with a tag on to SAN. The 747 didn't come until a few years later when it was replaced the the 772 when LH started service and the 744 came back when BA started to fly into LHR.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:06 pm

I do recall seeing a brand new, Northwest operated B747-400 land at PHX some years ago while making a connection there on America West. The flight was inbound from MSP. NW had just introduced the type into their fleet and was operating scheduled domestic trips with the 744, probably to familiarize their flight and cabin crews with the airplane before commencing transpac international service.

And I believe another long time 747 operator into PHX was British Airways.
HP also operated four 747-206Bs ex-PHX to Hawaii, Japan, and Mexico as well as some transcon service at military charters.

http://www.awa-history.org/?q=about_...aft/Boeing_747
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

225. Seems to me that Braniff ran TUL<-->IAD with a 727 (probably a -100)
225. Indeed they were....and in fact, Braniff International was operating two nonstops a day in early 1976 from Tulsa to Washington Dulles. Here are the scheds....

BN 104: DEN-COS-OKC-TUL-IAD-JFK
Op: Daily
Equip: 72S

BN 110: IAH-OKC-TUL-IAD-EWR
Op: Daily except Sat.
Equip: 727

However, these flights were not the longest nonstop service being flown from Tulsa at this time......so please guess again!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was pre-deregulation, so I'm thinking my first choice would have to be Bahamasair with stops in Grand Turk and Nassau, then Miami continuing on to Ft. Lauderdale. Aircraft would have been a BAC-111 in '76.
171. An excellent guess! Bahamasair (UP) was certainly operating BAC One-Eleven aircraft at this time, primarily between Nassau (NAS) and Miami (MIA) and also between Nassau and Freeport (FPO) with multiple flights operated per day on these routes in addition to operating daily round trip FPO-MIA nonstop service as well. UP was also operating nonstop twice a week between Nassau and Port Au Prince (PAP) with the One-Eleven.

You also have several of the destinations correct: Grand Turk (GDT) was the first stop and the flight indeed terminated in Fort Lauderdale (FLL).

However, Bahamasair was not flying the BAC twin jet to the Turks and Caicos Islands at this time and Nassau was not the second stop. Plus, this flight was not operated by UP.

So here's a hint: the airline in question was based in the U.S.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 5, 2015 at 6:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.