Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Icecat
Please accept my humblest apology.
No problem, sir! With this very knowledgeable group, "you're going to get some of dat", as they say here in the great state of Looziana.....
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Icecat
225: JL Bonus Question: What was the longest route being flown from Tulsa in early 1976? What airline flew it and what was the aircraft type?

How about Braniff to IAD with the always present 727.
225. Please see post #6659. And please guess again!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:06 pm

225: JL Bonus Question: What was the longest route being flown from Tulsa in early 1976? What airline flew it and what was the aircraft type?

TUL-LGA was operated by TWA. Equipment, I'm guessing, was a 727.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware

TUL-LGA was operated by TWA. Equipment, I'm guessing, was a 727.
225. Correct! Here's the eastbound sched....

TW 464: LAX 8:30a - 9:22a LAS 10:35a - 12:27p PHX 12:55p - 3:48p OKC 4:15p - 4:47p TUL 5:15p - 8:56p LGA
Op: Daily except Sunday
Equip: B727-200
Note: No local traffic LAS-PHX

Westbound, TW 73 was flown with a B727-100 on a routing of LGA-TUL-OKC-PHX-LAS on a daily except Sunday basis.

Up, Up and Away! TWA!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 11, 2015 at 5:11 pm Reason: added an old marketing slogan.....
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Here are the remaining unanswered questions:

4. Name four other U.S. airlines whose inflight brands used the word “Gold” or “Golden” in their respective titles CO, DL, EA & MO. Anybody care to hazard a guess at one more?
HINT: The airline used to pass out silver toothpicks after the meal... It also was known for flying planes that were not plain... A N S W E R E D

5. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon if you were to pay a visit to “The Club” lounge?
HINT: It's a European airline that sported a large white cross against a red background on its vertical stabilizers... A N S W E R E D

19. Oooooooo! Lookee there! There’s a 707 flying between Miami and Grenada! In the spring of 1986 no less! Let’s book it! Which airline do we call?
HINT: It's a Caribbean based airline from a very small Caribbean island A N S W E R E D

21. I’ve found three U.S. airlines that still operate scheduled flights with the Lockheed Electra in the spring of 1986. Although each airline operates in different parts of the country, a common thread connects each of these airlines’ flights. Can you identify the three airlines and the similarity in their flights?
WHBM has identified Reeve Aleutian. We're still looking for two more scheduled operators plus the common thread between all three operations
HINT: The common thread was more about where they flew than what they flew... With the exception of Reeve, none of the routes were very long...

223: JL Bonus Question: What was the longest nonstop route being flown from OMA in early 1976? Also identify the air carrier and the equipment it operated on the route. Partially Answered

225: JL Bonus Question: What was the longest route being flown from Tulsa in early 1976? What airline flew it and what was the aircraft type? A N S W E R E D

The following three questions were taken from schedules published in the summer of 2001. We’re going to take a roundabout route between Anchorage and Portland. Back in 1979, I flew this route connecting in the same cities as listed below but aboard the airlines of the day - WC, CP, PW and UA. If you got nothin' better to do, you can read all about it right HERE.

28. The first segment has us flying nonstop between Anchorage and Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. Identify the airline and aircraft type that we’ll be flying upon. A N S W E R E D

29. From Whitehorse nonstop down to Vancouver, we have a choice of two airlines. One of them is Air Canada, operating a 737-200. We’d like to fly aboard the other airline though. Please identify it and the aircraft it flew on the YXY-YVR route.
HINT: It's not Air North but it was operated with a twin engine jet built overseas. A N S W E R E D

30. Continuing on to Portland, Oregon, we’ve booked ourselves a seat aboard the only jet operating nonstop on this route. Identify the jet and the airline that flies it.
HINT: It was flown with a four engine jet... A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 15, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
19. Oooooooo! Lookee there! There’s a 707 flying between Miami and Grenada! In the spring of 1986 no less! Let’s book it! Which airline do we call?
HINT: It's a Caribbean based airline from a very small Caribbean island
Grenada Airways, flight GG104, but only twice per week.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are the remaining unanswered questions:

4. Name four other U.S. airlines whose inflight brands used the word “Gold” or “Golden” in their respective titles CO, DL, EA & MO. Anybody care to hazard a guess at one more?
HINT: The airline used to pass out silver toothpicks after the meal... It also was known for flying planes that were not plain...
4. Braniff International Airways. I believe that back in the early 60's, BN offered "Gold Service" on its international flights operated with Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-7C equipment between the U.S. and Latin America.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
5. What airline and aircraft would you be flying upon if you were to pay a visit to “The Club” lounge?
HINT: It's a European airline that sported a large white cross against a red background on its vertical stabilizers...
the logo description screams "Swissair" but there is a part of my brain telling me that's not right

[B][COLOR="Red"][U]The following three questions were taken from schedules published in the summer of 2001. ...
29. From Whitehorse nonstop down to Vancouver, we have a choice of two airlines. One of them is Air Canada, operating a 737-200. We’d like to fly aboard the other airline though. Please identify it and the aircraft it flew on the YXY-YVR route.
HINT: It's not Air North but it was operated with a twin engine jet built overseas.
Fokker F-28, Canadian Regional
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware

Grenada Airways, flight GG104, but only twice per week.

Grenada Airways is correct. Although GG operated a Saturday only nonstop from New York, on Wednesdays the flight routed via Miami.

GG 103 JFK-MIA-GND Dep. JFK 800a Arr. MIA 1035a Dep. MIA 1130a Arr. GND 410p
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlemon

Braniff International Airways. I believe that back in the early 60's, BN offered "Gold Service" on its international flights operated with Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-7C equipment between the U.S. and Latin America.

That's right. I believe BN's Gold Service dates back even farther to the 1950s

http://www.amazon.com/Braniff-Intern...pr_product_top
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
HINT
: It's a European airline that sported a large white cross against a red background on its vertical stabilizers...the logo description

This screams "Swissair" but there is a part of my brain telling me that's not right

Would the be the frontal lobe or the occipital lobe? If not Swissair, who else? Okay, maybe Balair but being a charter airline, I don't think they would've ever had a lounge onboard...

29. (Summer 2001) From Whitehorse nonstop down to Vancouver, we have a choice of two airlines. One of them is Air Canada, operating a 737-200. We’d like to fly aboard the other airline though. Please identify it and the aircraft it flew on the YXY-YVR route.
HINT
: It's not Air North but it was operated with a twin engine jet built overseas

Fokker F-28, Canadian Regional

An excellent guess, J but alas, we're looking for a different airline and a different jet manufacturer... The jet was made in Europe if that's any help...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: BA
Possibly we saw THIS thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post24172223

anyone up for guessing what each of the pictures are ? I reckon No 2 is a Curtiss Condor from 1933, likely of American or Eastern, very soon to be outclassed by the DC-2.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
29: YXY-YVR, summer of 2001 ...
The jet was made in Europe if that's any help
other than AC and Canada 3000, I'm drawing a blank on Airbus operators of the Canadian persuasion; however I can't place 2T ever operating their A320s in scheduled service

wait a sec ... per my earlier guess, if Canadian Regional was still around, maybe the parent (Canadian Airlines) was also ... and I seem to recall that CP had a couple Toulouse-built jets toward the end of their existence
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WHBM
Re. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post24172223

Anyone up for guessing what each of the pictures are ? I reckon No 2 is a Curtiss Condor from 1933, likely of American or Eastern, very soon to be outclassed by the DC-2.

This is a great find, WHBM. I'm familiar with quite a few of the later pictures but for starters I'll have a go at 1,3 and 4...

1. The window arrangement suggests this may be a Fokker F.10

3. You can clearly see the TWA emblem on the headrest cover. I'm going to go with the DC-1.

4. At first I thought this might be a dirigible of some type but then I started looking at images of Russian transports. Big rectangular windows, a large cabin... This could be a Tupolev ANT-20.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 15, 2015 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
29: YXY-YVR, summer of 2001 ...

other than AC and Canada 3000, I'm drawing a blank on Airbus operators of the Canadian persuasion; however I can't place 2T ever operating their A320s in scheduled service

wait a sec ...

2T (Canada 3000) did indeed operate between Whitehorse and Vancouver, albeit on a limited schedule. Per the July 1st, 2001 OAG, here's the southbound schedule:

2T 744 YXY-YVR Dep. 205p Arr. 430p Eq. A320-200 Freq. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.