FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DENVER TO ALASKA ROUNDTRIP via SO, TI, DL, AA, AS, WC, CP, PW and UA
Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:00 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
June 11, 1979
Wien Air Alaska ANC-FAI-YXY 737-200 N2711R

After a wonderful couple of weeks camping in what was then called Mt. McKinley National Park, it was time to head back to Colorado. Most people traveling between Anchorage and Denver would take a flight down to Seattle and connect to one of the many onward UA or CO flights available into Denver. Back in 1979, almost all flights out of Alaska down to the “Lower 48” went through Seattle. Alaskans jokingly used to refer to Seattle as the “Southernmost city in Alaska” since you couldn’t help but go through there first before heading anywhere else Outside. By comparison, these days Anchorage is served in the summer by nonstops from ATL, DTW, MSP, STL, ORD, DFW, IAH, DEN, PHX, SLC, LAX, LAS, SFO and PDX.

I found a joint fare between Anchorage and Vancouver that used Wien Air Alaska into Whitehorse, connecting to CP Air down to Vancouver. Total price: $113.00. From there I got another ticket using Pacific Western to Seattle and United into Denver via Portland, San Francisco and Salt Lake City.

Wien Air Alaska had its beginnings as Northern Air Transport in 1924 and served primarily Alaskan Interior towns. Places like Fort Yukon and Galena. It didn’t expand down to the Lower 48 until the early 1980s. Operations were out of the older part of the Anchorage and Fairbanks airports – there were no jetways.

Wien didn’t offer a Business Class until it purchased 727s and initiated services to the Lower 48, so the 737 operating today’s flight was all one class. We stopped briefly in Fairbanks before continuing on to Whitehorse. I can’t say for sure, but I think that 500-mile route out to Whitehorse may well have been the longest run in Wien’s system and as such, it warranted a rare snack service – a sandwich. Upon arrival into Whitehorse, we exited from the rear down the self-contained stairway. Parked nearby was a 707-320 bearing the livery of the Royal Canadian Air Force. I was surprised you could get a 707 into YXY. They require a lot more runway to take off than a 737.

I spent the night at the Whitehorse Youth Hostel, located in a big High School gym just a short walk across a field from the airport.

June 12, 1979
CP Air YXY-YXJ 737-217 CF-CPE
CP Air YXJ-YVR 737-217 C-GCPM

The next day, I climbed down a gully behind the hostel and hiked into Whitehorse where I spent the morning checking out the town and the White Pass and Yukon Route train. The train still operated out of Whitehorse back then and was certainly one of the more scenic rail trips in the world. These days, it only operates out of Skagway up White Pass to Lake Bennett.

Although CP Air operated a nonstop down to Vancouver, of course I’d opted for the “Local”, down to Fort St. John, followed by a connecting flight into Vancouver. There were a few of us awaiting the inbound flight and I remember that when the CP agent said it was just a couple of minutes away from landing, we all went outside and watched it land. You couldn’t miss the bright orange, red and silver airplane as it circled around and lined up for its approach.

Although CP Air offered First Class service on its 727s, 747s, DC-8s and DC-10s, most of its 737 fleet was operated in a one class configuration. This flight made stops in Watson Lake and Fort Nelson on its way into Fort St. John. To this day, I'm pretty sure it represents the only jet service those latter three communities ever received. Most of these flights were no more than two or three hundred miles long so we never flew much above 15000 feet. That meant those of us in the window seats got to take in some great scenery along the way. Our departure was in the late afternoon and amazingly, a full dinner was served between Watson Lake and Ft. Nelson! The flight time was only 45 minutes but I remember a few things about that meal: First, we were offered a choice of entrees. While I don’t remember both choices, I remember my choice – barbecued chicken. And get this: It was served on nice porcelain type dishes. I was shocked and really, in terms of portions and presentation, this meal would have been more than appropriate on a much longer flight. Scenery notwithstanding, it was the highlight of that particular leg. Those flight attendants were like red streaks as they rushed through the cabin distributing meals, offering beverages, and then clearing trays. It was an impressive performance that would probably be prohibited by the work rules in today’s CBAs, not to mention thirty years of budget cuts affecting inflight service.

The connecting flight from Fort St. John down to Vancouver made a brief stop in Prince George. The northern summer sun was low in the sky as we climbed out of Prince George at about 9:00pm and I distinctly remember the view of the Fraser River flowing south down the valley as being quite pretty. By the time we landed in Vancouver it was dark. I found a secluded corner of the airport and set up camp for the night.

June 13, 1979
Pacific Western YVR-SEA 737-275 CF-PWD
United Airlines SEA-PDX DC-8-62 N8970U
United Airlines PDX-OAK 727-022 N7087U

Western Airlines operated a Horizon Club lounge in the Vancouver airport so after checking in for my PWA flight and clearing customs, I headed over there for coffee and donuts. The best thing I remember about Western’s old Horizon Clubs was the great mixed nuts they used to provide. A big bowl of them, and none of that cheap 60% peanut mix either! It was all nuts!

In 1979, Pacific Western Airlines operated a fleet of 737s, primarily around Alberta and British Columbia. They also served Seattle, which served my interests nicely as they offered a joint fare with United down to the Bay Area. Pacific Western represented the 26th airline I’d flown, not bad for a 21-year-old.

Again, the aircraft was operated in a one-class configuration. Most regional airlines, despite operating jets, did not offer a First or Business Class service. There simply wasn’t enough demand for it given the brevity of the routes and flight times.

Vancouver to Seattle is a great route for a window seat on either side of the airplane. To the east you’ll see Mt. Baker and the Cascades and to the west Vancouver Island, the San Juan Islands and the Puget Sound. Too bad it’s such a short flight!

In Seattle I headed over to the North satellite and my onward flight down to Portland. I’d picked this United flight because it was operated with a rare DC-8-62. This aircraft had the longest range of any narrow bodied passenger aircraft ever built. It was slightly longer than a standard DC-8 though not nearly as long as the stretched DC-8-61/63s. The only US passenger airlines to operate it in scheduled service were United and Braniff initially, followed later by Hawaiian and Arrow Air. In 1969, United introduced it on nonstop New York to Honolulu service, at that time the longest U.S. domestic air route at 4,979 miles. I think it still is though CO now operates the route with a 767-400.

In any event, two things stood out about today’s flight: The aircraft still bore the old “Four Star DC-8 Friendship” colors and it, too, was operated in a one class configuration. This was rare for United but I believe they used those –62s for occasional charter work and so kept a few in the all coach configuration.

My flight on to Oakland was aboard what was then only a 12 year old 727-100. Although the 540-mile flight between PDX and OAK took only an hour and twenty minutes, back in 1979, we expected a meal on a flight of that length if it operated at a mealtime. The Economy Class dinner was a small dish of spare ribs and veggies with a tiny salad and a bite sized square of cake.

Although the aforementioned CP Air flight between Watson Lake and Ft. Nelson represented the shortest route I’d ever been served a full meal on, here in America that honor would go to Western Airlines when I was served a full hot dinner on a Salt Lake City to Denver flight back in 1974.

June 15, 1979
United Airlines SFO-SLC DC-8-33 N8039U
United Airlines SLC-DEN 727-022 N7288U

This was to be my first flight out of United’s newly renovated Terminal One at SFO. By 1970s standards, this new terminal was incredibly modern and spacious and a great improvement over the old facility with its dark, narrow corridors and claustrophobic gate areas.

My flight between San Francisco and Salt Lake City was aboard an old DC-8-33; the non-turbofan powered variant of the standard DC-8. I say “old” but the reality was that this aircraft was less than twenty years old at the time. It’s just that there were so many comparatively newer 727-200s, DC-10s, L-1011s and MD80s making their way into the nation’s fleets that the original 707s and DC-8s seemed pretty dated by comparison. As it is today in 2008, many of the early 737-300s that United currently flies are just over twenty years old.

I’ve always enjoyed flying aboard the older four engined jetliners such as the 707 and DC-8. The sound as each of those big Pratt & Whitney engines spool up is nothing short of exhilarating. Throughout the operation of its standard DC-8s, United maintained a nice First Class lounge forward of the First Class cabin that would seat about six. Directly across from the entry door was a nice big table that hosted many a card game during longer flights. As an added bonus, United served its First Class passengers Macadamia nuts with their cocktails, even on domestic flights. After landing, on the DC-8s at least, United used to always play the Hawaiian Wedding Song as we’d taxi into the gate. Today’s flight was no different. I spent most of it in the First Class lounge and enjoyed a nice sandwich plate for a snack.

The 380-mile flight between Salt Lake and Denver was aboard a 727-200. This is a great flight to request a window seat on because the scenery on either side of the aircraft is quite pretty. I remember getting nice views of the colorful canyons of the Yampa and Green Rivers along with overflying Rocky Mountain National Park. After a nice landing in Denver, I was met by friends and headed back to my home in Evergreen, Colorado. After three weeks, 9300 miles and twenty-six flights aboard nine different airlines, it was good to be home. Of all the aircraft I flew, only six are still flying. The rest are in storage or have been scrapped.

Anyway, it’s been fun to reminisce and I hope you all enjoyed this rather odd trip report, being as it happened 37 years ago. As always, I certainly welcome all comments, catcalls and further memories. Those were great times to fly!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 31, 2016 at 11:00 pm Reason: Update timeline to 37 years ago