Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:33 am

Programs: BA
2. In 1966, this airline ran a print ad with the following headline:

WOULD THE AIRLINE YOU FLY TO AMERICA SCRAP 17,592 COMFORTABLE SEATS TO PUT IN MORE COMFORTABLE ONES?
I can't think of any non-US airline that had 17,592 seats, and overseas carriers in those times didn't do things like changing all the seats over. Written for a European audience, I would say it sounds like TWA. No BA in 1966 by the way.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
I can't think of any non-US airline that had 17,592 seats, and overseas carriers in those times didn't do things like changing all the seats over. Written for a European audience, I would say it sounds like TWA. No BA in 1966 by the way.
But the predecessor used the same IATA code (if that's what Seat2A meant rather than an abbreviation)?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
But the predecessor used the same IATA code (if that's what Seat2A meant rather than an abbreviation)?
Yes, but the expression is generally for British Airways rather than BOAC. Also, in 1966 BOAC had inevitably quite a small fleet, about 25-30 aircraft, as they only had the long haul side, wouldn't be included in "large" European airlines at all.

Bonus Question : When did BOAC change their designator from BO to BA.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. If you wanted to fly on board a McDonnell Douglas DC9-30 nonstop from Miami to Houston in 1973, what airline would you call and what airport in the Houston area would you arrive into? Hint: the airline in question had ceased flying this route by the fall of 1974

In 1978 I flew aboard an Eastern DC-9-30 between Dallas and Miami. And of course we all know that Houston was a bit of a mini-hub for Eastern back in the day. And finally, in thinking of DC-9-30 operators in the pre-deregulation days of 1974 that flew out of Houston, I just don't see Texas International on this route. So, let's go with Eastern - my first and final answer.
5- I'll weigh in with EA's predecessor in terms of "a bit of a mini-hub" at IAH -- Continental (who of course expanded services to make it to their de facto # 2 hub a few years later, and turned it into their primary hub after the TI integration ~1982)
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
5. If you wanted to fly on board a McDonnell Douglas DC9-30 nonstop from Miami to Houston in 1973, what airline would you call and what airport in the Houston area would you arrive into? Hint: the airline in question had ceased flying this route by the fall of 1974

In 1978 I flew aboard an Eastern DC-9-30 between Dallas and Miami. And of course we all know that Houston was a bit of a mini-hub for Eastern back in the day. And finally, in thinking of DC-9-30 operators in the pre-deregulation days of 1974 that flew out of Houston, I just don't see Texas International on this route. So, let's go with Eastern - my first and final answer.

2. In 1966, this airline ran a print ad with the following headline:

WOULD THE AIRLINE YOU FLY TO AMERICA SCRAP 17,592 COMFORTABLE SEATS TO PUT IN MORE COMFORTABLE ONES?

Hmm... fly TO America, so it's foreign. 1966, so it's before jumbo jets including the DC-8-61/63. I'm going to divide 17592 by say, an average of 110 seats per airplane figuring long distance (707, DC-8 or VC10 at around 145 seats) and regional (i.e. 727s, Tridents, Caravelles, etc at 80-110 seats) and I get about 160 aircraft. That's a large fleet per 1966 standards, even if we cut down to 140 aircraft. So, it's got to be a large European airline, probably BA, AF or LH. I don't see AF or LH doing something as revolutionary as paying out good money to refurbish their planes with more comfortable seats. It just doesn't sound like a very European thing to do. So, let's go with BA and hope for the best.
2. Ah, it wasn't BOAC.

5. Nope, it wasn't Eastern....and we are still looking for the specific airport in the Houston area as well.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
2. Correct! Here's the TWA print ad.....

TWscrap66

And sharp eyed readers will no doubt note the oblique reference to BOAC in the first sentence of the ad.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
5- I'll weigh in with EA's predecessor in terms of "a bit of a mini-hub" at IAH -- Continental (who of course expanded services to make it to their de facto # 2 hub a few years later, and turned it into their primary hub after the TI integration ~1982)
5. Nope, it wasn't Continental.....but the airline we are looking for was flying IAH - MIA nonstop service with two daily roundtrip flights operated with DC9-30 equipment.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 8, 2021 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
2. Correct! Here's the TWA print ad.....

TWscrap66

And sharp eyed readers will no doubt note the oblique reference to BOAC in the first sentence of the ad.
I'd have a hunch that the "previous favourite transatlantic airline" would be Pan Am, not BOAC. Although BOAC led from Britain, Pan Am (and TWA) had all the transatlantic flights from other countries.

You know, I almost remember this ad appearing in UK newspapers. 1970s, as it refers to both 747s and 707s. I hadn't seen it since then, but it just kindled something in my mind. Note it's done by a presumably UK ad agency, with UK spellings. TWA always seemed to understand this, but we didn't always get that - and to an extent still don't; there was a recent Delta sequence all on the outside of the bridge that carries the DLR trains over the water through Canary Wharf, must have cost a bomb to put it there, but the sentiment was just wholly Madison Avenue. One giveaway is not actually saying they are an airline flying to the USA - they are used to a US audience who are already there !
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 8, 2021 at 11:54 am
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd have a hunch that the "previous favourite transatlantic airline" would be Pan Am, not BOAC. Although BOAC led from Britain, Pan Am (and TWA) had all the transatlantic flights from other countries.

You know, I almost remember this ad appearing in UK newspapers. 1970s, as it refers to both 747s and 707s. I hadn't seen it since then, but it just kindled something in my mind. Note it's done by a presumably UK ad agency, with UK spellings. TWA always seemed to understand this, but we didn't always get that - and to an extent still don't; there was a recent Delta sequence all on the outside of the bridge that carries the DLR trains over the water through Canary Wharf, must have cost a bomb to put it there, but the sentiment was just wholly Madison Avenue. One giveaway is not actually saying they are an airline flying to the USA - they are used to a US audience who are already there !
Well, I thought TWA might have been referring to BOAC as the word "favorite" (our spelling) appeared as "favourite" (your spelling) in the ad. But then I see a UK ad agency may have been involved with this advertisement.

And did BOAC use the marketing slogan "The World's Favourite Airline" or was that only used by British Airways?

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 8, 2021 at 3:16 pm
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
No BA in 1966 by the way.
Yes indeed, the 2 letter IATA code is exactly what I was using. And, in 1966 I believe that code was "BA"

Yes, but the expression is generally for British Airways rather than BOAC

Quite true, if we were in 1966. But in responding in 2021, in a forum where the participants frequently employ 2 letter IATA codes, I think "BA" gets the point across just fine. And correctly. Or incorrectly as the case may be.

That said, given my past and future gaffes, I can easily see where Ol' WHBM might feel a need to speak up. Rest assured, he and the rest a youse will have many future opportunities as I remain a totally unrepentant old gaffer.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:40 pm

Well, I thought TWA might have been referring to BOAC as the word "favorite" (our spelling) appeared as "favourite" (your spelling) in the ad.
Two nations separated by a common language.

There was another TWA ad about throwing seats away a while later in similar style. It referred to the seats in business class, which they said they had discarded in favour of much better ones - in fact that they were the seats from First Class they had removed when they initially put the sleeper seats in there.

At the time, seat numbers of First and Business on a 747 were pretty equal. Over subsequent time, of course, First Class has rather faded away. And it's a shame they didn't continue the trend, and put the onetime Business seats in economy ...

Last edited by WHBM; Mar 8, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Bonus Question : When did BOAC change their designator from BO to BA.
Yes indeed, the 2 letter IATA code is exactly what I was using. And, in 1966 I believe that code was "BA" ... in 2021, in a forum where the participants frequently employ 2 letter IATA codes, I think "BA" gets the point across just fine. And correctly. Or incorrectly as the case may be.... I can easily see where Ol' WHBM might feel a need to speak up. Rest assured, he and the rest a youse will have many future opportunities as I remain a totally unrepentant old gaffer.
this contemporary of "the rest a youse" decided to comb thru the BOAC pages on timetableimages.com ... March 1949 shows BO; July 1950 shows BA

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 8, 2021 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
this contemporary of "the rest a youse" decided to comb thru the BOAC pages on timetableimages.com ... March 1949 shows BO; July 1950 shows BA
Yes, it actually came towards the end of 1949, when the two separate UK state-owned long-haul carriers, BOAC and British South American Airways were merged. BOAC was BO, the much smaller BSAA was BA, a code which was presumably liked better. Here's the last BSAA timetable, November 1949, showing flights of both.

bsaa49-3.jpg (1224×1333) (timetableimages.com)

BSAA on their traditional direct service via Brazil, BOAC on a recently extended route via New York and Panama to Santiago in Chile. BSAA shows suspended between Buenos Aires and Santiago, this was after the loss of an Avro Lancastrian of theirs crossing the high mountains, ever since known as the "Stendec" accident and always a mystery story, continued after the Argentine Army found the wreckage in the year 2000 in a glacier.

1947 BSAA Avro Lancastrian Star Dust accident - Wikipedia

Being unable to serve Santiago was one of several reasons for the end of BSAA (another of their claims to fame was that Richard Branson's mother was a pioneer flight attendant with them). Chile has longstanding trading links with Britain. I noticed only THIS EVENING that our bottle of wine at dinner, from the Spanish shelves in the wine store, actually comes from Chile.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, good Lord, an Electra just flew over our house at low level.....twice!

Well, it's almost an Electra.....as the airplane appears to be a P-3 Orion formerly operated by the Royal Australian Air Force now registered as N664SD and operated by a company called MHD-Rockland Services out of Florida. It may presently be configured as a firefighting air tanker but I'm not sure if it is. Hopefully the aircraft will make another low level pass over us.

Exciting!
kochleffel likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
And, good Lord, an Electra just flew over our house at low level.....twice! Exciting!
I'll see your Electra/P3 and raise you a DC-6 - heard but not seen about two hours ago. The other day I took a drive around the airport perimeter road and noticed that EVERT's has reorganized its many DC-6 hulks for spare parts into a nice neatly organized collection of about 20 airframes. There is also a Curtiss C-46 in there along with a distinctive C-119 "Flying Boxcar" with jet assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.