Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
10. (1997) You are booked to fly from Cincinnati, OH to Grand Junction, CO. You were scheduled to connect through Denver but unfortunately Denver has been hit by a major snowstorm and so you’ve been rerouted. Two airlines are involved and you’ll still be flying in First Class on a jet for the first leg, which makes one stop enroute to the connecting point. Thankfully your layover is only 2 hours. Identify the airlines, their respective aircraft and the single enroute stop to the connecting point.
We know it's NW operating to a point in Western Colorado, thence connecting to an HP DH8

NW/Mesaba ARJ-85 into ASE

Yes!!! And if you had to lay over for a couple of hours, Aspen's Sardy Field is just across the road from a nice little cafe run by a pair of friendly and talented hippies. Last time I was through there I had a great lunch at the cafe and then hitchhiked up to Glenwood Springs (only 45 miles away) to catch the westbound California Zephyr. Here's the schedule relevant to the flights described above:

Northwest NW 3504 Cincinnati (CVG) 905a-1005a Minneapolis (MSP) 1130a-100p S Aspen (ASE) Avro RJ85
America West HP 5043 Aspen (ASE) 310p-345p Grand Junction (GJT) DHC-8-400 Daily
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
30- Allegheny is the missing 72S operator (full disclosure: my initial guess included AL, but with the -100) (Post 21012, reply in Post 21018)
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
8. (1970) Not including airports located on the Pacific coast of North America, identify the seven other North American airports that had nonstop service to Honolulu. We are also looking for the airlines and aircraft operating from these airports.

Previous answers
JFK, United, DC-8-62
JFK, American, 707
DAL, Braniff, 707-320
ORD, United, 747-100
ORD, American, 707
ORD, Northwest Orient, 747
STL, American, 707
DTW, United, DC-8-62
YWG, CP Air, DC-8-40/50

(The Winnipeg and St. Louis flights are surprising to me but it's true. Of all these flights, only the ORD UA or AA seem plausible now or in pre-pandemic era)

Adding to those answers
DEN, Western, 707

Should McGarrett give Danno his famous instructions yet?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Not making any guesses for 23 but I am very surprised to see SNA becoming a custom rights/international port of entry airport (apparently since 2010). Surprised the locals allowed it.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
30. (1970) Only four scheduled airlines in the U.S. operate aircraft larger than a DC-9-30 or 737-200 in an all-Economy Class configuration. Identify the airlines and the respective aircraft each operates. (One airline operates more than one type)
UA 72S identified
PS 727 & 72S identified
NE 72S identified

XX 72S is what we're looking for

Allegheny is the missing 72S operator (full disclosure: my initial guess included AL, but with the -100) (Post 21012, reply in Post 21018)

Correct! And another one bites the dust!
FWIW, two 727-2B7s (N750VJ & N751VJ) flew with Allegheny from April 1970 to November 1971.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
8. (1970) Not including airports located on the Pacific coast of North America, identify the seven other North American airports that had nonstop service to Honolulu. We are also looking for the airlines and aircraft operating from these airports.

Previous answers
JFK, United, DC-8-62
JFK, American, 707
DAL, Braniff, 707-320
ORD, United, 747-100
ORD, American, 707
ORD, Northwest Orient, 747
STL, American, 707
DTW, United, DC-8-62
YWG, CP Air, DC-8-40/50

(The Winnipeg and St. Louis flights are surprising to me but it's true. Of all these flights, only the ORD UA or AA seem plausible now or in pre-pandemic era)

Adding to those answers
DEN, Western, 707 Incorrect

Should McGarrett give Danno his famous instructions yet?

It looks like he'll have to wait a bit as Western's service from Denver was 1-stop via SAN. Also, as there's been no taking of life here, the "Murder One" appellation may have to be modified to something more appropriate. Perhaps along the lines of "Book him, Danno! Flight 41!"
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
23. (2015) Business calls in the form of a meeting next week with a prospective client from Mexico. You’ll be meeting in Mexico City. From your home in Costa Mesa, California, you envision having to drive up to LAX to make this trip. Imagine then your surprise and delight when your company travel department informs you of a daily nonstop flight departing from John Wayne Airport, just across the freeway in nearby Santa Ana. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and equipment operating this flight.

Not making any guesses for 23 but I am very surprised to see SNA becoming a custom rights/international port of entry airport (apparently since 2010). Surprised the locals allowed it.

Aw, c'mon YVR! Have a go at it! What've you got to lose?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Added answer
YEG CP Air DC-8-40/50
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf

Added answer
YEG CP Air DC-8-40/50

Nope. The other airport we're looking for is in the USA...
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23. Because I have no clue. Didn't even think (until this afternoon) that SNA had any int'l flights by popular will.

8. Western had 707-320s in1970 so let's guess SLC (doesn't appear to have been been guessed, guess retracted if it has been).
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Added answer:
PIT, TWA, 707

Last edited by Toshbaf; Jan 1, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
23. (2015) Business calls in the form of a meeting next week with a prospective client from Mexico. You’ll be meeting in Mexico City. From your home in Costa Mesa, California, you envision having to drive up to LAX to make this trip. Imagine then your surprise and delight when your company travel department informs you of a daily nonstop flight departing from John Wayne Airport, just across the freeway in nearby Santa Ana. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and equipment operating this flight.
23. I believe this may have actually been Southwest operating a B737-700. And the SNA-MEX service may have been initiated earlier by AirTran with Southwest then continuing to fly the route after its acquisition of and merger with AirTran was completed.

BTW, I lived in San Clemente in Orange County at one point of my life and flew out of SNA quite a bit. If memory serves me correctly, either Air Canada or WestJet may have begun the first international service from John Wayne Airport with Air Canada operating nonstop to Toronto and WestJet flying nonstop to Vancouver although I'm not 100% sure about the timing concerning which air carrier was first.

And speaking of Danno, I do recall when Aloha Airlines began nonstop service from SNA to HNL with the B737-700 as an old friend of mine was a first officer with Aloha at the time and flew the route.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2021 at 11:05 am Reason: Air Canada & WestJet comment
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least a couple of very old threads but this one is one of them
What happened to SNA-YVR?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

At least a couple of very old threads but this one is one of them
What happened to SNA-YVR?
And here are a couple of old news articles concerning Air Canada's plans to operate YYZ-SNA nonstops in 2010 and YVR-SNA nonstops in 2020 with both services being flown with the A319....

From an article dated April 6, 2010 which appeared in the OC Metro, a news publication in Orange County:

"Air Canada will begin offering daily nonstop flights between John Wayne Airport and Toronto's Lester B. Pearson Airport on Thursday. This marks the first regularly scheduled international service for the local destination, according to (John Wayne Airport) spokeswoman Jenny Wedge. The news comes on the heels of a recent report conducted by the Orange County Business Council, which highlighted the positive economic impact the airport's improvement program will have on the region....Air Canada will offer one flight per day on a 120-seat Airbus A319. The airline will perform all customs and immigration screenings in Canada, but once Terminal C (at John Wayne Airport) is completed in 2011, Wedge says the local airport will be equipped with Federal Inspection Services and Customs, which will allow for greater international service.....and that service will be limited to destinations like Central America, Mexico and Canada due to the airport's runway length."

And an article concerning Air Canada's planned YVR-SNA service in 2020....

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/air-...ounty-service/
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2021 at 12:32 pm Reason: could not get first link to work
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Aw, c'mon, YVR! Have a go at it! What've you got to lose?

Because I have no clue. Didn't even think (until this afternoon) that SNA had any int'l flights by popular will.

All well and good, but you're a pretty sharp guy. And well traveled. Therein lies the educated guess (or uneducated as is often the case with me )

Detroit – UA D8S XXX New York JFK – UA D8S & AA 707 XXX Dallas BN 707 XXX Chicago – UA 747 & NW 747 (Sa only) & AA 707 XXX St. Louis AA 707 XXX Winnipeg CP DC-8
We need just one more airport with the corresponding airline and aircraft

Western had 707-320s in1970 so let's guess SLC (doesn't appear to have been been guessed, guess retracted if it has been).

No, it wasn't Salt Lake City. Did Western even have a hub at SLC in 1970? It did have a few flights up to Montana and Wyoming as well as the California services, Denver and possibly even a nonstop to Sioux Falls, so maybe I just answered my own question.

Anyway, the search continues. Please, guess again!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 2, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.