Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by jlemon
14. Ah, it wasn't Sabena nonstop from Brussels and I don't believe the equipment was a B747-300 (aircraft listed as "747" in the sched in question).
14. As per Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerve_(airline)) , Minerve had a single B747-200 in their fleet. But we know this flight was not operating from ORY, so how about ORY-MBA-JRO

I hope someone will be able to provide the right answer today; tomorrow I have a very busy day at work - so will have to stop googling for a right answer
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
14. As per Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerve_(airline)) , Minerve had a single B747-200 in their fleet. But we know this flight was not operating from ORY, so how about ORY-MBA-JRO

I hope someone will be able to provide the right answer today; tomorrow I have a very busy day at work - so will have to stop googling for a right answer
Agree, I need to be put out of my misery too! Minerve seem to have disappeared into AOM by 1996, so if F-GHBM B747 survived then it could be AOM although I have no recollection of them in that part of Africa!
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
12. The catamaran moored in the St. Kitts marina proves to be in superb condition. So you're ready to close the deal. And then over rum drinks at sunset in the yacht club, your contact at the marina says this: "Just one small challenge, mon. Da owner of the da cat is in Barbados so you gonna have to fly down dere an' meet with him." You quickly ascertain there's a direct flight departing from St. Kitts first thing the next morning to Barbados which will make two stops en route and arrive into BGI in plenty of time for a lunch meeting with the owner of the catamaran. This flight operates four days a week and the aircraft is configured with an all coach cabin. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft.
12. Let's got with LIAT operating a Dash 8 on SKB-NEV-ANU-BGI
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
14. One more kick at the can. VFR route of Air India BOM-JRO
14. Nope, it wasn't Air India and the nonstop flight we are looking for did not depart from Bombay.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by TPJ

14. And it wasn't Minerve either with the nonstop flight in question not departing from Mombasa.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
Agree, I need to be put out of my misery too! Minerve seem to have disappeared into AOM by 1996, so if F-GHBM B747 survived then it could be AOM although I have no recollection of them in that part of Africa!
14. Nor was it AOM.....

So here's a hint.....the air carrier in question did have French "F" registrations on their aircraft.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
12. Let's got with LIAT operating a Dash 8 on SKB-NEV-ANU-BGI
12. An excellent guess.....

However, it wasn't LIAT (a.k.a. "Leave Island Any Time" or "Luggage In Another Terminal"), stops were not made at Nevis or Antigua, and the aircraft wasn't a DHC-8 Dash 8.

And in fact the equipment we are looking for wasn't a turboprop. It was a jet.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Perhaps you could use these spaces to regale us with tales of the Good Old Days winging about upstate New York aboard Mohawk BAC-111s and the like. Didja ever fly on Northeast? Or an American BAC-111?

C'mon Grampa - tell us another story!
Well, speaking of the weather.....

25 degrees F here in Lafayette this morning with about an inch of snow and sleet on the ground. And it's not often we see icicles on our roof edges.

Also looks like we'll get down to around 15 degrees F tonight which is rather unusual for south Louisiana as we are located a mere 50 miles or so from the Gulf of Mexico.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
14. So if it was French registry, Air Austral from RUN?
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:48 am

14. Nor was it AOM.....

So here's a hint.....the air carrier in question did have French "F" registrations on their aircraft.
Air Gabon from Libreville?
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
14. So if it was French registry, Air Austral from RUN?
14. Air Austral is correct! Here's the sched from Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean.....

UU 911: St. Denis De La Reunion (RUN) 7:50p - 10:30p Kilimanjaro (JRO)
Freq: Thursdays only
Service class: Y
Equip: 747
Old Feb 15, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spongthrush
Air Gabon from Libreville?
14. Please see my above post.....
Old Feb 15, 2021, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to no more than two a day and as always please be as specific as you can when identifying aircraft types....

3. In 1972 this airline ran a print ad concerning its direct service from Los Angeles to both Sydney and Melbourne which included the following statement: "Perhaps that's why so many passengers tell us they enjoy our service across the South Pacific so much. Enjoy the comfort of really being looked after. Even the old fashioned delight of having someone say please and thank you." This ad also mentioned the aircraft type operated on its service between LAX and Australia. Name the air carrier that ran this ad as well as the aircraft type. ANSWERED - BOAC with the Vickers VC10

4. Also in 1972, National Airlines was pursuing a possible merger with another air carrier. However, at the end of that same year, National terminated discussions concerning the proposed merger and then blamed the CAB for its decision to do so. What airline was National planning to merge with? ANSWERED - It was Northwest

11. You are in Fort Lauderdale in 1995 having breakfast on a Thursday morning with your lady friend. The phone rings and it's your old sailing buddy calling from Santa Barbara concerning a catamaran that's for sale down in St. Kitts in the Caribbean. "It's in excellent condition," he says, "and the price is right! You need to get down there right away!" Well, of course you do! And as fate would have it, you then find there's a nonstop flight departing at midday from FLL to SKB. Even better, there are two first class seats available for you and your lady! You've never heard of the airline you'll be flying with but what the heck...you book two seats in first. Name the air carrier and the equipment. ANSWERED - Liberty Airlines operating a B727-200.

The time line for the next quiz item is also 1995.....

12. The catamaran moored in the St. Kitts marina proves to be in superb condition. So you're ready to close the deal. And then over rum drinks at sunset in the yacht club, your contact at the marina says this: "Just one small challenge, mon. Da owner of the da cat is in Barbados so you gonna have to fly down dere an' meet with him." You quickly ascertain there's a direct flight departing from St. Kitts first thing the next morning to Barbados which will make two stops en route and arrive into BGI in plenty of time for a lunch meeting with the owner of the catamaran. This flight operates four days a week and the aircraft is configured with an all coach cabin. Identify the air carrier, both stops and the aircraft. ANSWERED -It was Carib Express with a BAe 146-100

15. In the fall of 1999, only two airlines were operating nonstop service from New York JFK to Toronto. One of these flights only operated three days a week and the other flight only operated once a week. Different aircraft types were operated on these flights. Name both air carriers and the respective equipment they operated from JFK to YYZ. ANSWERED - VASP operating an MD-11 three days a week and Pakistan Intl. operating a 747 once a week
Just five four three two one more to go here.....and all now ANSWERED.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 18, 2021 at 11:00 am Reason: answer updates
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:17 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
14. Air Austral is correct! Here's the sched from Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean.....

UU 911: St. Denis De La Reunion (RUN) 7:50p - 10:30p Kilimanjaro (JRO)
Freq: Thursdays only
Service class: Y
Equip: 747
Amazing.. I was even thinking about Air Madagascar, but totally forgot about Air Austral...

Great question!!!
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:51 pm

3. In 1972 this airline ran a print ad concerning its direct service from Los Angeles to both Sydney and Melbourne which included the following statement: "Perhaps that's why somany passengers tell us they enjoy our service across the South Pacific so much. Enjoy the comfort of really being looked after. Even the old fashioned delight of having someone say please and thank you." This ad also mentioned the aircraft type operated on its service between LAX and Australia. Name the air carrier that ran this ad as well as the aircraft type. It wasn't Continentaland the aircraft wasn't a DC-10..
Qantas and Boeing 747-200?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.