Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What timing! I've been hard at work putting together a picture book of First Class travel experiences (mainly meals) from my past. It's been a lot of work what with selecting pictures and writing up descriptions. All told it'll be 108 pages with 2 pictures to a page in an 8"x12" size, so it's nice to finally get it completed and ordered.

In three days I'm off to Colorado and other points - double masked no less. By the time l get home I'll have just over 1 million miles built up in my mileage account - just waiting to be exchanged in part for First Class tickets to the Seychelles Islands. Or the Marquesas Islands.

Thanks for these great questions, Mr. Lemon. I'll have a go at a couple -

2. Now it's 1967 and time for yet another milk run flight! This time you are in Florida and are on your way from Pensacola to Key West with your flight making four stops along the way. Name the air carrier, all four stops in order and the aircraft.

This has gotta be National. Let's say a 727-100 routing Pensacola - Jacksonville - Orlando - Tampa - Miami - Key West

3. In 1972 this airline ran a print ad concerning its direct service from Los Angeles to both Sydney and Melbourne which included the following statement: "Perhaps that's why somany passengers tell us they enjoy our service across the South Pacific so much. Enjoy the comfort of really being looked after. Even the old fashioned delight of having someone say please and thank you." This ad also mentioned the aircraft type operated on its service between LAX and Australia. Name the air carrier that ran this ad as well as the aircraft type.

Any chance this could be Continental running those daytime DC-10 pub equipped flights?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by jlemon
8. Also in 1988, one airline was operating daily direct one stop service from Albany (ALB) in New York to Nassau in the Bahamas. Name the air carrier, the stop and the equipment.

10. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Philadelphia (PHL) to St. Petersburg (PIE) in Florida in early 1994, what airline would you call and what type of equipment would you be flying on? And here's a hint: the aircraft type was in all coach configuration.
8. This would have been about the time that I started flying into ALB with my family having relocated there the year before. I'm going to guess that this is Piedmont flying ALB-BWI-NAS on a 727-200.

10. I seem to remember that ATA started flying from PHL at this time and it seemed it was with a not frequently seen aircraft. Would this have been with the L-1011?
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What timing! I've been hard at work putting together a picture book of First Class travel experiences (mainly meals) from my past. It's been a lot of work what with selecting pictures and writing up descriptions. All told it'll be 108 pages with 2 pictures to a page in an 8"x12" size, so it's nice to finally get it completed and ordered.

In three days I'm off to Colorado and other points - double masked no less. By the time l get home I'll have just over 1 million miles built up in my mileage account - just waiting to be exchanged in part for First Class tickets to the Seychelles Islands. Or the Marquesas Islands.

Thanks for these great questions, Mr. Lemon. I'll have a go at a couple -

2. Now it's 1967 and time for yet another milk run flight! This time you are in Florida and are on your way from Pensacola to Key West with your flight making four stops along the way. Name the air carrier, all four stops in order and the aircraft.

This has gotta be National. Let's say a 727-100 routing Pensacola - Jacksonville - Orlando - Tampa - Miami - Key West

3. In 1972 this airline ran a print ad concerning its direct service from Los Angeles to both Sydney and Melbourne which included the following statement: "Perhaps that's why somany passengers tell us they enjoy our service across the South Pacific so much. Enjoy the comfort of really being looked after. Even the old fashioned delight of having someone say please and thank you." This ad also mentioned the aircraft type operated on its service between LAX and Australia. Name the air carrier that ran this ad as well as the aircraft type.

Any chance this could be Continental running those daytime DC-10 pub equipped flights?
2. Yep, National is correct.....but not with a B727-100. And as for the stops, your routing is semi correct as this flight did not stop at JAX while MCO wasn't the second stop and TPA wasn't the third stop. We await the tap in......

3. Ah, it wasn't Continental nor was the aircraft a DC-10. Please guess again, sir!
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
8. This would have been about the time that I started flying into ALB with my family having relocated there the year before. I'm going to guess that this is Piedmont flying ALB-BWI-NAS on a 727-200.

10. I seem to remember that ATA started flying from PHL at this time and it seemed it was with a not frequently seen aircraft. Would this have been with the L-1011?
8. Piedmont with the stop being made at Baltimore is correct.....but not with a B727-200. And I sense another tap in waiting in the wings.....

10. Correct! American Trans Air (ATA) was operating scheduled wide body service once a week from PHL to PIE during the winter of early 1994. Here's the sched....

TZ 459: Philadelphia (PHL) 7:30a - 10:00a St. Petersburg/Clearwater (PIE)
Freq: Mondays only
Service class: Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: L-1011
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1. It's 1966 and you are in Kansas City. You're off to El Paso on board a flight which will make no less than five intermediate stops en route. Identify the airline, all five stops in the order in which they will be made and the equipment.
1- the two choices of airline would seem to be Frontier and Continental ... let's start with a CO Viscount, on a fairly direct track via Tulsa/TUL, Oklahoma City/OKC, Wichita Falls/SPS, Lubbock/LBB, and Midland-Odessa/MAF
Old Feb 11, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
1- the two choices of airline would seem to be Frontier and Continental ... let's start with a CO Viscount, on a fairly direct track via Tulsa/TUL, Oklahoma City/OKC, Wichita Falls/SPS, Lubbock/LBB, and Midland-Odessa/MAF
1. You are off to an excellent start here as it was indeed Continental operating a Vickers Viscount 812 which the airline called the " VISCOUNT II ".

And Tulsa was the first stop....but after TUL, you've wandered a bit off course as the flight in question did not stop in OKC, SPS, LBB or MAF.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
8. Piedmont with the stop being made at Baltimore is correct.....but not with a B727-200. And I sense another tap in waiting in the wings.....
Okay, so let's go with the 727-100.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
1. You are off to an excellent start here as it was indeed Continental operating a Vickers Viscount 812 which the airline called the " VISCOUNT II ".

And Tulsa was the first stop....but after TUL, you've wandered a bit off course as the flight in question did not stop in OKC, SPS, LBB or MAF.
1- "a bit off course" means the big turboprop must have headed over toward CO's hub at Denver/DEN, thence south via Albuquerque/ABQ ... which accounts for two stops, so we need two more

Colorado Springs/COS makes sense; Frontier was the only carrier at Alamogordo, so the missing one has to lie between TUL and DEN ... must be Wichita/ICT, making the entire route MKC-TUL-ICT-DEN-COS-ABQ-ELP
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:42 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
14. Also in 1996, only one airline was operating 747 service into Kilimanjaro (JRO) in Tanzania with the flight only operating once a week. What airline operated this flight and where did it depart from nonstop to Kilimanjaro? It wasn't KLM or Lufthansa and the nonstop flight in question did not depart from AMS or FRA

15. In the fall of 1999, only two airlines were operating nonstop service from New York JFK to Toronto. One of these flights only operated three days a week and the other flight only operated once a week. Different aircraft types were operated on these flights. Name both air carriers and the respective equipment they operated from JFK to YYZ.
14. I do not recall AF ever flying to JRO, but I do not see any other candidate (it was still during apartheid, so I cannot imagine that SAA could even fly to Tanzania, right?). So AF on B747-200M with something obvious: CDG-NBO-JRO. If I recall correctly AF had monopoly on East Africa and UTA West Africa, so I would rather exclude UTA, but who knows

15. Wild guesses: RG - 3 weekly on B747-300; VP (VASP) - 1 weekly on MD-11.

Last edited by TPJ; Feb 11, 2021 at 11:50 am
Old Feb 11, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
Okay, so let's go with the 727-100.
8. Please guess again, sir!
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
1- "a bit off course" means the big turboprop must have headed over toward CO's hub at Denver/DEN, thence south via Albuquerque/ABQ ... which accounts for two stops, so we need two more

Colorado Springs/COS makes sense; Frontier was the only carrier at Alamogordo, so the missing one has to lie between TUL and DEN ... must be Wichita/ICT, making the entire route MKC-TUL-ICT-DEN-COS-ABQ-ELP
1. Yep and here's the sched....

CO 243: Kansas City (MKC) 6:25p - 7:24p Tulsa (TUL) 7:40p - 8:20p Wichita (ICT) 8:35p - 9:18p Denver (DEN) 9:45p - 10:15p Colorado Springs (COS) 10:30p - 11:41p Albuquerque (ABQ) 11:56p - 12:59a+1 El Paso (ELP)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: A/T - "Combination First and Coach Classes (Jet-Prop or Piston)"
Onboard service: "Light Refreshment with Champagne served in First Class, Light Refreshment served in Club Coach" ICT-DEN & COS-ABQ
Equip: VISCOUNT II

Continental introduced the Vickers Viscount 812 with great fanfare in 1958 stating the aircraft was "The world's most beautiful, luxurious and comfortable airliner":

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...o58/co58-2.jpg

And back at that time the Viscount was the only turbine powered aircraft in the CO fleet as I believe the airline did not introduce Boeing 707 service until 1959.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPJ
14. I do not recall AF ever flying to JRO, but I do not see any other candidate (it was still during apartheid, so I cannot imagine that SAA could even fly to Tanzania, right?). So AF on B747-200M with something obvious: CDG-NBO-JRO. If I recall correctly AF had monopoly on East Africa and UTA West Africa, so I would rather exclude UTA, but who knows

15. Wild guesses: RG - 3 weekly on B747-300; VP (VASP) - 1 weekly on MD-11.
14. Nope, it wasn't Air France and the nonstop flight in question did not depart from Nairobi.

However, you are on the right track here (and that statement is a rather oblique hint).

15. Your wild guess is partially correct as VASP was operating fifth freedom MD-11 service from New York JFK to Toronto at this time.

However, VASP was operating its JFK-YYZ service three days a week....and the other air carrier wasn't VARIG nor was the equipment a B747-300.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
15. Seem to remember BA was operating a (IIRC) MAN-JFK-YYZ route with a 757-200 (R-R powered of course), used by some to score the OneWorld 5-airline 100,000 mile bonus a year later.

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Feb 11, 2021 at 1:45 pm
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
14. '96 was at about the time the Nationalist Party government in South Africa were negotiating with the ANC for an end of minority rule, if there weren't fully franchised elections already. So SAA from JNB is perfectly plausible.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

National is correct.....but not with a B727-100. And as for the stops, your routing is semi correct as this flight did not stop at JAX while MCO wasn't the second stop and TPA wasn't the third stop. We await the tap in......

Hmm... Okay - well then, 1967 was the year National claimed to have become an all-jet airline, so this must've been just slightly before that status was attained. As such, let's go with the Electra. I'm going to assume that MCO & TPA were not even in the routing, so let's try flying down the east coast routing Pensacola - Jacksonville - Melbourne - West Palm - Miami - Key West

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.