Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by KT550
No, it wasn't SAM or anything Colombian either.
Well, when I was studying Spanish in Quito I enjoyed 727s flying over my Spanish school on final to the old UIO airport.
So, how about Ecuatoriana?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by WHBM
You are of course correct; I just recalled the odd purchase of the F70s and Ford's longstanding link from Stansted to Cologne, nearest points to Ford's two main plants in Europe. They certainly departed early morning almost every weekday from Stansted to Cologne (sometimes both aircraft), thereafter it was more fluid whether they went on to Liverpool, Valencia in Spain, or whatever, before doing the trip back from Cologne to Stansted in the evening. They were the only car maker in Europe that had anything like this. The three One-Elevens lasted for a long time, from the mid-1970s, The two MD-87s came I think from Midway in the US in the mid-1990s when the One-Elevens were retired, then around 2000 there was an economy drive and the whole operation was closed up. They then chartered as required, still pretty much every day, from British World at Stansted, and surprisingly were back to One-Elevens.

I knew someone at Ford who used it a few times, typically of them it was a pretty spartan operation, minimum pitch seating, no catering whatsoever, and sometimes no checked baggage (because the whole hold space had been given over to a car parts shipment) so those going for the week had to have all their suitcases in the cabin.
There was also an RJ100 G-OFMC from 2007 which was registered to F.M.C. though may have been operated by Flightline.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
Well, when I was studying Spanish in Quito I enjoyed 727s flying over my Spanish school on final to the old UIO airport.
Nothing from Ecuador either. Try further north.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
I spent some time in Quito on business and it was always interesting to watch jetliners flying down the valley in the mountains on final to the old airport, especially larger aircraft such as the A340 operated by Iberia and the MD-11 operated by KLM.

That was an interesting airport they had in Quito with regard to commercial traffic before the new airfield opened.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
VIASA?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
VIASA?
No, the 727 wasn't VIASA either.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: BA
KT.08 [Aug 1996]
Which airline flew non-stop LHR to Prague using a European built twin-jet at this time?
Didn't BMI (I never got away from calling them British Midland) have a shot at this, at a time when they were trying a whole range of points from Heathrow ? Fokker 100 was the smallest aircraft they had there.

Their Low-Cost subsidiary BMI Baby, which they subsequently started, and which boomed along for a while, did extensive service to Prague from a range of UK departure points. But that was 737s, and that was later.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:08 am

Didn't BMI (I never got away from calling them British Midland) have a shot at this, at a time when they were trying a whole range of points from Heathrow ? Fokker 100 was the smallest aircraft they had there.

Their Low-Cost subsidiary BMI Baby, which they subsequently started, and which boomed along for a while, did extensive service to Prague from a range of UK departure points. But that was 737s, and that was later.
British Midland and the Fokker 100 is correct. LHR-PRG on BD713.

Return flight was on a 737-500.

Was still British Midland then.
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/395570

Last edited by KT550; Feb 1, 2021 at 5:15 am Reason: photo link added
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:16 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
See post #21511 for full details.

KT.05 [Jun 1993]
Which airline flew once a week from Manchester UK to Lviv, Ukraine and what type of aircraft did they use?

KT.12 [Apr 2001]
Whose Fokker 70s were flying between London STN and Cologne CGN?
KT.05

I am fairly sure UIA - Ukraine International had virtual monopoly on Western routes. The other airline (Air Ukraine, if memory serves) was serving primarily CIS destinations (plus IEV-WAW on AN-24, perhaps also PRG/BUD plus YYZ on ex-LOT IL-62M).

So let me try PS on B737-200.

KT.12

I recall Air Berlin had a significant presence at STN. They even employed their own ticketing/check-in agents (or if they were handling agents, they wore AB uniforms) and had the whole check-in row for themselves. They flew to all sorts of of secondary German airports from STN, so I guess CGN could have been one of them.

So let me try with Air Berlin.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
KT.05

I am fairly sure UIA - Ukraine International had virtual monopoly on Western routes. The other airline (Air Ukraine, if memory serves) was serving primarily CIS destinations (plus IEV-WAW on AN-24, perhaps also PRG/BUD plus YYZ on ex-LOT IL-62M).

So let me try PS on B737-200.

No, it wasn't PS or a B732 but your other thoughts might help.......

KT.12

I recall Air Berlin had a significant presence at STN. They even employed their own ticketing/check-in agents (or if they were handling agents, they wore AB uniforms) and had the whole check-in row for themselves. They flew to all sorts of of secondary German airports from STN, so I guess CGN could have been one of them.

So let me try with Air Berlin.

No, not AB
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:14 am

KT.12 [Apr 2001]
Whose Fokker 70s were flying between London STN and Cologne CGN?
There's just something in the back of my mind that says - British Midland BMI again.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
KT.16 [Feb 2008]
Which airline flew from Key West to Fort Lauderdale at this time?
Name the airline, aircraft type and the intermediate stop.
This seems to me that it would be the Continental Connection (Gulfstream International operating) with a Beechcraft 1900D on EYW-MIA-FLL.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:42 am

There's just something in the back of my mind that says - British Midland BMI again.
Correct.
British Midland Fokker 70 STN-CGN, BD801

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/G-BVTE
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
This seems to me that it would be the Continental Connection (Gulfstream International operating) with a Beechcraft 1900D on EYW-MIA-FLL.
No, 3M isn't the answer I was hoping for, though I don't have documentary evidence to disprove.
Nor was the stop in MIA.
I'm pretty sure the airline in question wouldn't have started the route if they had stiff competiton from CO.

P.S. Not a Beech 1900 either

Last edited by KT550; Feb 1, 2021 at 7:55 am Reason: P.S. added
Old Feb 1, 2021, 7:59 am

Correct.
British Midland Fokker 70 STN-CGN, BD801
A strange addition to their route structure. I don't think BMA were known at either end of the route. However, notably it's just after Ford gave up their own company flights, and then British World, who they contracted for their replacements, went out of business after about a year. My hunch would be that BMA started this oddball route heavily bankrolled by a Ford revenue guarantee. I wonder how many non-Ford passengers they got. Didn't last too long I don't think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.