Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024 | 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited2M10 Years on Site

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
7. (1992) Oh yeah! You are SO looking forward to leaving the cold and snow of Calgary behind and exchanging it for a week of sunshine and luaus at your brother’s place in Honolulu. You’ll depart Calgary in the morning on the first of three nonstop flights for your trip to the islands. Two connections and three airlines will be involved, with each airline operating a different type of aircraft. Each of the aircraft has a different engine configuration. Please identify the three airlines, the routing flown and the aircraft types.
7- to borrow from dfw88, “I have a few guesses for this one” … let’s try:
  • YYC to Vancouver/YVR, Canadian 737-200
  • YVR to Los Angeles/LAX, Delta 727-200
  • LAX to HNL, Northwest 747-400
Old Feb 27, 2024 | 2:23 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
40 Countries Visited5M20 Years on Site

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
7. (1992) Oh yeah! You are SO looking forward to leaving the cold and snow of Calgary behind and exchanging it for a week of sunshine and luaus at your brothers place in Honolulu. Youll depart Calgary in the morning on the first of three nonstop flights for your trip to the islands. Two connections and three airlines will be involved, with each airline operating a different type of aircraft. Each of the aircraft has a different engine configuration. Please identify the three airlines, the routing flown and the aircraft types.

To borrow from dfw88, I have a few guesses for this one lets try:
You've definitely got the right idea here, but switch out Boeing for another manufacturer and swap out LA for a different airport. Finally, swap out all three airlines for different ones and you're home free!
Old Feb 27, 2024 | 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
7. (1992) Oh yeah! You are SO looking forward to leaving the cold and snow of Calgary behind and exchanging it for a week of sunshine and luaus at your brother’s place in Honolulu. You’ll depart Calgary in the morning on the first of three nonstop flights for your trip to the islands. Two connections and three airlines will be involved, with each airline operating a different type of aircraft. Each of the aircraft has a different engine configuration. Please identify the three airlines, the routing flown and the aircraft types.
(jrl767): To borrow from dfw88, “I have a few guesses for this one” … let’s try:
You've definitely got the right idea here, but switch out Boeing for another manufacturer and swap out LA for a different airport. Finally, swap out all three airlines for different ones and you're home free!
7- one of these things is not like the others
  • let's route via San Francisco/SFO instead of LAX; that seems to be the most plausible in terms of timing of onward flights to HNL (SEA and PDX departures were typically before 10am)
  • "another manufacturer" -- since there's no "same manufacturer" constraint in the original question, I am requesting clarification of the hint; the only other manufacturer that produced 2-, 3-, and 4-engine jets is of course McDonnell Douglas, but I'm not sure who if anyone still had DC-8s operating to HNL in 1992
  • three different airlines -- again, I have a few ideas floating around, but they'll only solidify after we know how many airframers make up the actual answer
Old Feb 27, 2024 | 10:37 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
7. (1992) Oh yeah! You are SO looking forward to leaving the cold and snow of Calgary behind and exchanging it for a week of sunshine and luaus at your brothers place in Honolulu. Youll depart Calgary in the morning on the first of three nonstop flights for your trip to the islands. Two connections and three airlines will be involved, with each airline operating a different type of aircraft. Each of the aircraft has a different engine configuration. Please identify the three airlines, the routing flown and the aircraft types.

So I think we have it. An Air Canada DC-9-30 from Calgary to Vancouver connecting to a United DC-10 down to Seattle, connecting to a Hawaiian Air DC-8-62/63 over to Honolulu. That's my final guess!

That's pretty impressive, 2A. You are of course spot on! Here's the itinerary -

Air Canada AC 201 Calgary (YYC) 645a-715a B Vancouver (YVR) DC-9-30 X7
United UA 132 Vancouver (YVR) 825a-920a Seattle (SEA) DC-10-10 X7
Hawaiian HA 23 Seattle (SEA) 1030a-210p L Honolulu (HNL) DC-8-63 Sa Su

As for the rest a these questions, if there's no response to any of 'em by tomorrow midday (Saturday noon Alaska Daylight Time) I'll go ahead and delete the lot of 'em and check back with y'all in late April.

Happy Contrails! ==================== >

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 1, 2024 at 6:09 pm
Old Mar 1, 2024 | 6:30 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4. (1992) Being stationed in the Seychelles Islands over the past two years has been a dream come true, but as the saying goes, all good things must eventually come to an end. That said, if you must leave the Seychelles, there are worse places to be reassigned than to the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. On the other hand, getting there could be a real nightmare. You are delighted then to discover that on one day a week, doing so is quite easy and convenient, involving just two flights – the first a nonstop to the connection point followed by a one stop direct flight to Honolulu. Two different aircraft types will be involved and thankfully, seats are available in the forward cabins of both aircraft – though in different classes. Please identify the airlines, the routing, the aircraft types and the classes of travel associated with each airline.

9. Everybody knows that a BOAC Comet made the 1st commercial transatlantic jet flight from London to New York in 1958. Besides New York’s Idylwild/John F. Kennedy International airport, name six other U.S. airports that saw scheduled service with the Comet
5 were identified earlier before the question was abandoned

10.Which airline named its first 747 after the first man on the moon?

11. What was the first airline to use regional jets in North America?

13. Can you list – in order – the first five airlines to receive Boeing’s 747?

14. Identify the three railroads that combined to take the California Zephyr from Chicago, IL to Oakland, CA
A N S W E R E D

15. Two U.S. railroads ordered and operated the German built Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 locomotive. Identify the two railroads

16. What railroad was famous for its distinctive "Warbonnet" livery on its locomotives?
A N S W E R E D

17. What railroad was most closely associated with promoting tourism in Glacier National Park?
A N S W E R E D

18. Identify the two premier all-Pullman streamliners operating between New York and Chicago in the 1940s
A N S W E R E D

19. It's 1988 and you're riding Amtrak between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, NV. What train are you riding upon?
A N S W E R E D

20. If you wanted to take a train from Denver direct to Billings, MT in 1959, which railroad would you call?
A N S W E R E D

21. Which railroad was famous for the Giant Baked Potatoes served in its diners?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 5, 2024 at 4:22 pm
Old Mar 1, 2024 | 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was an HO scale aficionado for a number of years … I got these
16. What railroad was famous for its distinctive "Warbonnet" livery on its locomotives?
Santa Fe

17. What railroad was most closely associated with promoting tourism in Glacier National Park?
Great Northern
Old Mar 1, 2024 | 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
14. Identify the three railroads that combined to take the California Zephyr from Chicago, IL to Oakland, CA
Burlington (more formally CB&Q) - Rio Grande (D&RGW) - WP. By the way, the museum in Portola, CA dedicated to the WP is well worth a visit - they used to have a rent-a-locomotive program including an EMD F unit.

https://www.wplives.org/

(I'm sure our OTAQ&D posters have no problem figuring out the closest airline service airport to Portola, CA)

18. Identify the two premier all-Pullman streamliners operating between New York and Chicago in the 1940s
PRR's Broadway Limited
NYC's 20th Century Limited

Last edited by Herb687; Mar 1, 2024 at 11:04 pm Reason: WP Museum link
Old Mar 2, 2024 | 4:13 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I was an HO scale aficionado for a number of years I got these

Santa Fe

Santa Fe All The Way! Certainly one of the most distinctive liveries ever to grace an F-Unit. It didn't look bad in the PA's as well

Great Northern

That's the one! I was born 50 years too late. I would love to have ridden the Empire Builder to Glacier back in the day. As it is, I've still logged over 52000 miles aboard the GN, and the early morning eastbound journey through Glacier remains a highlight of all Amtrak rides.
Old Mar 2, 2024 | 4:33 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687

Burlington (more formally CB&Q) - Rio Grande (D&RGW) - WP. By the way, the museum in Portola, CA dedicated to the WP is well worth a visit - they used to have a rent-a-locomotive program including an EMD F unit.

Correct! I spent summers on the Colorado River outside Gypsum, CO. and it was always a thrill to see the CZ come through each day with its three F-Units and five dome cars. I remember going to Denver's Union Station back in the late 1960s and seeing one of Burlington's big slant nosed silver E-5s. What a magnificent sight! I was fortunate to log a ride on the original CZ in 1969, from Denver up to Glenwood Springs. I've since ridden Amtrak's version many times and keep hoping for a track closure up on Donner Pass so we can hopefully get rerouted over the old WP trackage through Feather River Canyon. I'll keep the Portola WP museum in mind. I've only visited the big one in Sacramento.

PRR's Broadway Limited
NYC's 20th Century Limited

And kudos to Raymond Loewy and Henry Dreyfuss for their contributions to these two fine trains!
Old Mar 2, 2024 | 5:45 pm
20 Years on Site

The New York Central ran two additional all-Pullman trains between New York and Chicago - into the 1950s: No. 19 the Lake Shore Limited and No. 67 the Commodore Vanderbilt.

Pennsy and B&O were reduced to one all-Pullman train or to none (B&O - already in the 1930s the National Limited conveyed coaches), and I think also the Nickel Plate with its Lackawanna connections was all-coaches.

Bonus question: Which was the last all-Pullman (sleeper) and all-Pullman (parlor car) train in the U.S.?

Last edited by Track; Mar 2, 2024 at 6:12 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024 | 6:10 pm
20 Years on Site

19. That was Amtrak's long-missed Desert Wind (Chicago-Salt Lake City-Las Vegas-Los Angeles).
20. Denver-Billings was by CB&Q! (partially through its subsidiary Colorado Southern).
21. The "big baked potato" railroad was the Northern Pacific (it ran through Idaho after all).
Old Mar 2, 2024 | 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

took a ~20-min flightseeing hop this morning in the 1943-vintage C-47 Skytrain that belongs to the Palm Springs Air Museum

everyone got a souvenir boarding pass for — of course — Seat 2A
Seat 2A, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024 | 4:01 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Track
19. It's 1988 and you're riding Amtrak between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, NV. What train are you riding upon?

That was Amtrak's long-missed Desert Wind (Chicago-Salt Lake City-Las Vegas-Los Angeles).

Yep. Amtrak's 66 billion dollar infusion from the federal infrastructure bill offers a more realistic possibility that this train might be revived. And of course once Brightline West is up and running (Las Vegas to Rancho Cucamonga) this possibility will be all the more alluring. The only downside is the UP trackage between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. It runs through the middle of nowhere. It would be nice if a rail line could run through both Cedar City (pop. 37000) and St. George (pop. 100000), but at present there are no rails to or from St. George and a 2023 Southern Utah University study estimated it could cost between $5 billion and $8.5 billion to add the track necessary to divert the route between Cedar City and Las Vegas through St. George.

20. If you wanted to take a train from Denver direct to Billings, MT in 1959, which railroad would you call?

Denver-Billings was by CB&Q! (partially through its subsidiary Colorado Southern).

Yep. This is another train that, given the changing populations along its route (Denver - Ft. Collins - Cheyenne - Casper - Cody - Billings) might be nice to see running again. It was known as The Shoshone and last operated in 1967.

21. Which railroad was famous for the Giant Baked Potatoes served in its diners?

The "big baked potato" railroad was the Northern Pacific (it ran through Idaho after all).

Yep. The Northern Pacific was highly regarded for the quality of its epicurean offerings and if you were riding the train from Chicago or Seattle to Yellowstone National Park (served via Livingston, MT), a trip to the diner would likely include the NP's Giant Baked Potato at some point during the journey. Of all the three trains addressed in these three questions, the North Coast Limited stands the best chance of being revived. It routes through many more of Montana's population centers (Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Missoula) than the current Empire Builder (Glasgow, Havre, Shelby, Browning, Glacier N.P.) in addition to serving North Dakota's capital Bismarck. I hope it happens in my lifetime.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 5, 2024 at 4:07 pm
Old Mar 5, 2024 | 4:25 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bonus question: Which was the last all-Pullman (sleeper) and all-Pullman (parlor car) train in the U.S.?

I'm thinking the last all-sleeper train may have been Santa Fe's Super Chief. Though historically an all-Pullman train, by the late sixties the Santa Fe began to combine the Super Chief and the all-coach El Capitan. During peak periods however, I recall hearing that the Chief was operated as a separate all-sleeper train as late as 1969. I might add that I say "All-sleeper" because Pullman ceased operating at the end of 1968. If we're talking "all Pullman"... I dunno... maybe the Broadway Limited.

As for all-Parlor, I have no idea. Probably somewhere back east in the Northeast Corridor...
Old Mar 5, 2024 | 5:54 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since we're in the doldrums here for a bit, I'll leave these out here for a bit longer. Should any of you desire to pose some questions of your own, Please Do!

I'm leaving the country in a couple of weeks and won't return until late April. That means the next batch of questions from me likely won't be submitted until sometime in May. I can't speak to jlemon's plans, nor those of jrl767, both of whom have also been regular question submitters in the past. That said, for the rest of youse, put your knowledge and question creating abilities to the test and submit a few. It's fun and we'd love to hear from you.

4. (1992)
Being stationed in the Seychelles Islands over the past two years has been a dream come true, but as the saying goes, all good things must eventually come to an end. That said, if you must leave the Seychelles, there are worse places to be reassigned than to the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. On the other hand, getting there could be a real nightmare. You are delighted then to discover that on one day a week, doing so is quite easy and convenient, involving just two flights – the first a nonstop to the connection point followed by a one stop direct flight to Honolulu. Two different aircraft types will be involved and thankfully, seats are available in the forward cabins of both aircraft – though in different classes. Please identify the airlines, the routing, the aircraft types and the classes of travel associated with each airline.

9. Everybody knows that a BOAC Comet made the 1st commercial transatlantic jet flight from London to New York in 1958. Besides New York’s Idylwild/John F. Kennedy International airport, name six other U.S. airports that saw scheduled service with the Comet
5 were identified earlier before the question was abandoned

10.Which airline named its first 747 after the first man on the moon?

11. What was the first airline to use regional jets in North America?

13. Can you list – in order – the first five airlines to receive Boeing’s 747?
Please see post 29082

15. Two U.S. railroads ordered and operated the German built Krauss-Maffei ML 4000 locomotive. Identify the two railroads

16. What is the highest elevation airport in the U.S. to have been served by scheduled airline flights?
A N S W E R E D

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 7, 2024 at 10:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.