Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Jan 27, 2024, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
28. I'll take a wild, wild guess of a desperate Pan Am LAX-LIM-EZE (going head-to-head with AR IIRC).
28. Well, Pan Am was not operating any direct, no change of plane service from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires in early 1989.

And please see the post above for the answer.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I am house sitting for the weekend out in North Pole. Good internet access, here! Last night, the mercury hit -53F - coldest I've seen it in about 10 years. It's always about 10 degrees colder out here than in Fairbanks...

9. (1979) Time to head to Hawaii for a well deserved vacation! You are in Tucson and will be flying to Honolulu. One airline can get you there via two nonstop flights and an easy one hour and thirty minute connection with different aircraft types built by the same manufacturer being operated on each flight. Name the air carrier, the connection airport and the different equipment operated on each flight.

I could see a couple of different carriers operating this service. I don't know if United had started serving TUS yet, but let's go with United operating a 727-200 TUS-SFO connecting to a 747 SFO-HNL

10. (1979) You've had a great vacation in Hawaii and are now off to Washington D.C. on business. You'll be flying with one airline via two nonstop flights with a connection interval of two hours and thirty minutes. Aircraft types built by different manufacturers will be operated on each flight. Identify the airline, the airport where you will make your connection, the different equipment and the airport you will arrive into in the D.C. area.

Again, I could see a number of airlines operating this schedule via their hub cities. Again, let's go with an obvious choice, if only to remove it from consideration (I suspect you've come up with something more eclectic). You don't specify the Washington airport, so let's go with United operating a 747 HNL-ORD connecting to a DC-8-61 ORD-IAD. i could see this UA combination working via a couple other airports as well...
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jlemon
37 (1996). YHZ-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-SEA
The first flight was operated by Canadian with an A320. The second flight was operated with a 727-200....but not by Air Canada, Northwest or American. The third flight was operated by Horizon Air with an F.28 on behalf of Alaska Airlines. Connections were not made at YYZ, YUL, YVR, EWR, GEG or PDX. The second flight did not stop at YEG, MSP or ORD.
37- I am down to Boston/BOS as the last candidate for the first connecting point; I’ll offer United to Boise/ BOI via Denver/ DEN as the routing of the second flight

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 27, 2024 at 8:48 pm
Old Jan 27, 2024, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
26. The first flightwas operated by Transavia with a _________ from AMS to LGW and the second flight was operated by Continental with a DC-10-30 from LGW to HNL via DEN.
26- HV perhaps ran a 737-300
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I am house sitting for the weekend out in North Pole. Good internet access, here! Last night, the mercury hit -53F - coldest I've seen it in about 10 years. It's always about 10 degrees colder out here than in Fairbanks...

9. (1979) Time to head to Hawaii for a well deserved vacation! You are in Tucson and will be flying to Honolulu. One airline can get you there via two nonstop flights and an easy one hour and thirty minute connection with different aircraft types built by the same manufacturer being operated on each flight. Name the air carrier, the connection airport and the different equipment operated on each flight.

I could see a couple of different carriers operating this service. I don't know if United had started serving TUS yet, but let's go with United operating a 727-200 TUS-SFO connecting to a 747 SFO-HNL

10. (1979) You've had a great vacation in Hawaii and are now off to Washington D.C. on business. You'll be flying with one airline via two nonstop flights with a connection interval of two hours and thirty minutes. Aircraft types built by different manufacturers will be operated on each flight. Identify the airline, the airport where you will make your connection, the different equipment and the airport you will arrive into in the D.C. area.

Again, I could see a number of airlines operating this schedule via their hub cities. Again, let's go with an obvious choice, if only to remove it from consideration (I suspect you've come up with something more eclectic). You don't specify the Washington airport, so let's go with United operating a 747 HNL-ORD connecting to a DC-8-61 ORD-IAD. i could see this UA combination working via a couple other airports as well...
You're off to a good start here!

9. The first flight from Tucson was indeed operated with a 727-200.

However, the connection was not made in San Francisco. It was actually made in Los Angeles.

And the airline operating both flights wasn't United and a 747-100 or 747-200 was not operated on the flight to Honolulu.

10. Yep, our intrepid traveler will be departing on board a 747 from Honolulu.

But, once again, United is the not the airline we are looking for here, the connection was not made at Chicago O'Hare and the second flight wasn't operated with a Super DC-8-61.

Back on the plus side of the column, the second flight indeed arrived into Washington Dulles. And I like your observation with regard to the itinerary being eclectic.

Please guess again, sir!

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 28, 2024 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
37- I am down to Boston/BOS as the last candidate for the first connecting point; Iíll offer United to Boise/ BOI via Denver/ DEN as the routing of the second flight
37. United did not operate the second flight and it did not stop in Denver.

Connections were not made in Boston or Boise.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

26. Here are the Transavia and Continental scheds...

HV 603: Amsterdam (AMS) 12:00n - 12:00n London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: C/Y
Meal service: None listed
Equip: 737-300

Connecting to....

CO 35: London Gatwick (LGW) 2:00p - 4:40p (est.) Denver (DEN) 6:30p - 10:45p Honolulu (HNL)
Freq: Thursdays and Saturdays only
Service classes: P/J/Y
Meal services: Lunch & Snack LGW-DEN, Dinner DEN-HNL
Equip: DC-10-30

As previously noted, Continental had an agreement in place with Transavia for connecting service between AMS and LGW with this relationship mentioned in CO system timetables.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 6, 2024 at 7:29 am
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
39. Time for yet another trip to Canada, this time from Austin to Toronto on board a direct one stop flight from AUS to YYZ. Name the air carrier, the stop and the aircraft.
#39: Guessing NW with a 146 stopping at DTW
Old Jan 28, 2024, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
#39: Guessing NW with a 146 stopping at DTW
39. Great guess! Although the Northwest Jet Airlink flight probably would have been operated with an Avro RJ85 flown by Mesaba:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Nort...J85A/5297111/L

However, it wasn't Northwest Jet Airlink.....and the flight in question was not operated as a Northwest mainline service as well.

Plus we can also rule out Detroit as the stop.

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 28, 2024 at 2:42 pm Reason: added photo link
Old Jan 28, 2024, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

The first flight from Tucson was indeed operated with a 727-200. However, the connection was not made in San Francisco. It was actually made in Los Angeles. And the airline operating both flights wasn't United and a 747-100 or 747-200 was not operated on the flight to Honolulu.

Hmm... interesting wording here... "a 747-100 or 747-200 was not operated". Might this then mean a 747 of another variant was operated? In 1979, the only other variant that comes to mind would be the -SP. Indeed, I logged my first flight aboard an SP in August of 1979 with Pan Am between SFO and LAX on a standby fare of only $13.00. I hardly had to standby. The flight was only about half full.

But I digress. Pan Am is out for this question because they wouldn't have served Tucson in 1979 - if ever. TWA had a couple of SPs. A kindly gate agent at LAX once let me go onboard one and have a look around. Good luck with that these days! And so far as I know, TWA never used its -SPs to Hawaii. American didn't have any SPs until it commenced its Asian services, and if memory serves me correctly, theirs were ex-TWA birds anyway. That leaves Braniff. I don't recall when Braniff received its -SPs, and to be honest I would have thought it was later than 1979. But - if only through the process of elimination, there's really no other choice here. Additionally, Tucson reminds me of a question I once submitted here involving a Braniff DC-8 operating DFW-TUS-LAS. To this day, that might be the only scheduled DC-8 flight ever flown into TUS.

Anyway, let's go with Braniff running a 727-200 TUS-LAX connecting to a 747SP on to Honolulu - an itinerary I would love to have flown. In First Class.

Yep, our intrepid traveler will be departing on board a 747 from Honolulu. But, once again, United is the not the airline we are looking for here, the connection was not made at Chicago O'Hare and the second flight wasn't operated with a Super DC-8-61. Back on the plus side of the column, the second flight indeed arrived into Washington Dulles. And I like your observation with regard to the itinerary being eclectic. Please guess again, sir!

Hmm... by 1979 so many U.S. domestic airlines had divested their fleets of the 747 that we're down to just a couple of options since United's off the table. Thinking of the airlines involved though, I'm having a hard time matching up potential aircraft types with IAD service. After all, in 1979 IAD was more of an international gateway or transcon airport for big jets than a regional destination airport. Keeping it eclectic, let's go with Braniff again, running the Big Orange from Honolulu to Dallas, connecting to the Concorde from Dallas to Washington Dulles.

BTW, I was a passenger aboard the inaugural interchange Concorde flight between IAD and DFW on January 12th, 1979. Back in the pre-internet days, booking a seat on this flight was as simple as reading about it in the paper and then calling BN reservations. The three airlines involved (AF, BA & BN) put on a big gala in the Dulles terminal restaurant. It was my first time ever eating caviar. Both the Air France and BA birds were in town and both of them made the trip down to DFW that day, landing simultaneously on DFW's twin runways. I was onboard the Air France plane. Onboard service was Braniff's traditional domestic First Class - so it was a bit of a letdown after the fancy spread in the Dulles restaurant. It's worth noting that just three years later, I was served caviar and Chateaubriand carved from the cart while flying aboard a beautiful blue 727-100 between LaGuardia and DFW, so possibly the smaller Concorde cabin and galley influenced the service standard somewhat. The Mach Meter on the forward bulkhead showed a maximum speed of .98 at one point. Most commercial jetliners cruise at about .85. At DFW, both Concordes parked nose to nose and a band greeted us with a sprightly rendition of "The Yellow Rose of Texas".

The ticket was very affordable, too. I purchased a Washington DC to Denver First Class ticket, routing naturally through DFW. Total price: $156.00 - or about $684.00 in today's money. And, international gateway airport notwithstanding, my flight into Dulles to access the Concorde flight was aboard an Ozark DC-9-30.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 28, 2024 at 11:29 pm
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat 2A is correct on both! It was Braniff International all the way....

9. Here are the scheds....

BN 9: Tucson (TUS) 6:15p - 6:30p Los Angeles (LAX)
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Snack
Equip: 727-200
Note: Complete routing for BN 9 was LGA-DFW-TUS-LAX

Connecting to....

BN 505: Los Angeles (LAX) 8:00p - 11:30p Honolulu (HNL)
Freq: Tuesdays only
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: 747SP
Note: Complete routing for BN 505 was LAX-HNL-GUM-HKG

Here's a photo of a Braniff International 747SP-27 at LAX.....

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/176319

10. Here are the scheds...

BN 502: Honolulu (HNL) 7:15p - 6:00a+1 Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: 747

Connecting to....

BN 188: Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 8:30a - 12:00n Washington Dulles (IAD)
Freq: Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only
Service class: R
Meal service: Breakfast
Equip: Concorde (SSC)
Note: Complete routing for BN 188 was DFW-IAD-LHR and the airplane belonged to BA, of course....

And here's a photo of a BA Concorde at DFW.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Brit...rde-102/8539/L

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 29, 2024 at 12:17 pm Reason: added photo links
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
39. Great guess! Although the Northwest Jet Airlink flight probably would have been operated with an Avro RJ85 flown by Mesaba:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Nort...J85A/5297111/L

However, it wasn't Northwest Jet Airlink.....and the flight in question was not operated as a Northwest mainline service as well.

Plus we can also rule out Detroit as the stop.
To start ruling out the more obvious guesses: next up is AA 72S AUS-DFW-YYZ.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
To start ruling out the more obvious guesses: next up is AA 72S AUS-DFW-YYZ.
39. Yep, we can rule out American as well.

And the equipment wasn't a 727-200 nor was the connection made via Dallas/Fort Worth.

Please guess again, sir!
Old Jan 29, 2024, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

39. Yep, we can rule out American as well.

And the equipment wasn't a 727-200 nor was the connection made via Dallas/Fort Worth.

Please guess again, sir!
Next up: US with a 733 stopping in PIT.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Who'd have ever thought that 18 below would feel so good! For the past couple of days, I've been housesitting (Well, dog sitting, actually) out in North Pole, Alaska. North Pole is a town east of Fairbanks. The actual north pole is about 2000 miles north and a tad east of here. Two nights ago, the mercury dropped to -61 on the thermometer at the little store out on the main road. We're talking still air temperature, not windchill. Today, we've a brief respite, with highs in the teens. By Thursday, it's back to the deep freeze.

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ak/fairbanks

Additionally, I have thoroughly enjoyed the first rate Wi-Fi signal out at the house in North Pole. That was nice. Alas, I'm back to the clunky, sputtering version that serves the cabins I live in out here in East Ester. As soon as I finish up here, I'm gonna go out and switch out my propane tank, shovel the path to the dunny and empty out the slop bucket. I've got water heating on the stove and soon will enjoy a nice hot shower.

As to the questions, thanks to jlemon for a couple of timely hints. If I hadn't known it was a 747SP via LAX, I'd likely still be flailing about on the TUS-HNL question.

2. Now it's 1964 and you are on a multistop flight from Europe to an island in the Pacific Ocean. You've just departed from Saigon and your next stop will be Darwin. And following this stop on the northern coast of Australia, you will then arrive at your island destination. What air carrier are you flying with, what airport did you depart from in Europe, what type of aircraft are traveling on and what is your final destination?

I see Saigon and I think Air France, but then seeing Darwin to a Pacific Island, I'm thinking either BOAC or Qantas. Somehow, I can't see the population of Darwin in 1964 supporting a flight to Fiji, but BOAC ran all kinds of multi-stop services from Europe to multiple destinations in Australia as well as New Zealand. New Zealand makes more sense, so let's try a BOAC 707 with a total shot in the dark as to the routing. LHR-FCO (or was it ROM back then?) - BAH - BOM - SIN - SGN - DRW - AKL

40. If you wanted to fly into Lake Tahoe (TVL) in 1999 on board a McDonnell Douglas DC-9-51, what airline would you call?

The only airline I knew of to operate a DC-9-50 west of the Rockies (well, there was that NC flight from DEN to TUS back in the day) was Allegiant Air. They were also operating a -20. I remember a pretty scatter shot schedule with flights from Las Vegas to Fresno and Long Beach. I don't remember service to Lake Tahoe, but for now let's go with Allegiant.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 29, 2024 at 5:37 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.