Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by dfw88
Penair was operating them until recently when they went out of business, not long after a crash in the Aleutians (was it Unalaska?). The pieces of that airline were picked up by Aleutian Airways, which I believe is still flying their Saab 2000s.
BONUS: Correct!

According to their website, Aleutian Airways operates Saab 2000 service between Anchorage and Cold Bay, Dutch Harbor, Homer, King Salmon and Sand Point. The Aleutian Airways motto is "The strongest link in the chain" referring, of course, to the Aleutian island chain. Here are a couple of photos of their Saab 2000 aircraft....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aleu...2000/7459137/L

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aleu...2000/6863531/L

And it has been reported that Aleutian Airways is indeed operating Saab 2000 aircraft formerly operated by PenAir (a.k.a. Peninsula Airways).

BTW, here's an article from FLYING magazine concerning the accident experienced by PenAir with a Saab 2000 at the Unalaska Airport which serves Dutch Harbor.....

https://www.flyingmag.com/despite-ch...unway-overrun/
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
9. Which airline was the launch customer for the Boeing 727, and what was the aircraft's maiden flight route?

I know Eastern was the launch customer for the 727 in 1963, but I'm not so sure on the route. I know it wasn't between New York and Miami, so ah'mon throw a dart in the dark here and go with Boston to Atlanta
Originally Posted by jrl767
9- I’m going to weigh in with a technicality here

Eastern was the first to introduce the 727 into revenue service, but United was the “launch customer” in that they were the first to order and the first to take delivery; they also eventually received the first production jet (tabulation number E0001, tail number N7001U)
Together, you guys are correct.

The launch customer for the Boeing 727 was United Airlines. The maiden flight of the Boeing 727 occurred on February 9, 1963, operated by Eastern Air Lines, flying from Miami to Washington, D.C.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:48 am

Originally posted in #29096

Most recently updated in #29113

3. During World War II, this airline played a significant role in ferrying military aircraft and personnel. What was the name of the airline, and which routes did it operate during this period?

5. The "Golden Age of Aviation" is often associated with a period between the two World Wars. Name two famous aircraft from this era and the airlines that operated them.

6. What was the significance of the 1930 Air Mail Act in the United States, and how did it impact the development of commercial aviation?

8. In the 1980s, this airline made headlines by becoming the launch customer for a groundbreaking aircraft known for its advanced composite materials and efficient design. Name the airline and the aircraft.

10. What was the first commercial aircraft to be entirely computer-designed, and which airline was the launch customer for this aircraft?

The desired answer is not the 777 or the Mercure (Dassault). It was a few years behind the latter.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:57 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by jlemon
BTW, here's an article from FLYING magazine concerning the accident experienced by PenAir with a Saab 2000 at the Unalaska Airport which serves Dutch Harbor.....

https://www.flyingmag.com/despite-ch...unway-overrun/
Other way around. Dutch Harbor airport (DUT) serves the community of Unalaska.

I walked away from a broken airplane not far from the place where that Saab ended up. In my case it was in a Penair Grumman Goose flying from Akutan (took off on the water, landed on wheels.) We got caught in a williwaw coming down Ballyhoo Mountain (next to the runway) and smacked hard into the ground. One of the Goose's gear struts snapped and we ground looped a couple of times before coming to a tilted halt. Nobody hurt, but some clothes changes required. It's a nasty airport.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Other way around. Dutch Harbor airport (DUT) serves the community of Unalaska.....It's a nasty airport.
Thanks for that!

And to consider that Alaska Airlines served DUT with 737-200 Combi aircraft for a number of years, apparently not ever experiencing a major mishap concerning its jet operations into this interesting little airfield....

I've never flown in there but it must have been interesting being in the back of 737.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
we went to a local craft brewery on Tues evening to check out a new Thai food truck

the little red tag on the left edge of the menu board says “Old Timers Certified … This is a great beer!” — and it was 🍺
Old Apr 7, 2024, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
5. The "Golden Age of Aviation" is often associated with a period between the two World Wars. Name two famous aircraft from this era and the airlines that operated them.

Well, the DC-3 comes to mind first and foremost. All kinds of airlines operated the DC-3

Another might be the Boeing 307, the first pressurized airliner. Pan Am and TWA come to mind as notable operators

As a bonus, I'll toss in the Boeing 247 - a variety of operators, notably United

On a personal note, as a child of the jet age, my "Golden Age of Aviation" came between 1960 and 1985. Lots of new aircraft types entering service, and an emphasis on quality inflight service and comfort until deregulation changed the focus somewhat...
Old Apr 7, 2024, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
the Boeing 307, the first pressurized airliner. Pan Am and TWA come to mind as notable operators.
they were in fact the only original operators, as the total production run was a mere 10 aircraft; as is typical, they sported various other liveries of operators around the world in their later years

eight of the 10 were written off in accidents; the final resting place of the only intact Stratoliner is at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum near IAD

I’ll also offer the Ford TriMotor (Transcontinental and Western, Pan Am, Dominicana de Aviacion, many others) and Fokker F.VII (TWA, Pan Am, KLM, Swissair, many others) as early examples of airliners in this era

On a personal note, as a child of the jet age, my "Golden Age of Aviation" came between 1960 and 1985. Lots of new aircraft types entering service, and an emphasis on quality inflight service and comfort until deregulation changed the focus somewhat...

and a host of classic types, most of which have reappeared in this memory-jogging thread a goodly number of times, being retired from service
Old Apr 7, 2024, 9:12 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Mine was a little earlier, owing to my mom's job as secretary to the test pilots at Douglas throughout most of the 1950s. The last few posts to this thread got me reminiscing about those days, including seeing the first flight of the DC-8. There were evidently 50,000 people gathered around the edges of (what is now) LGB including yours truly. We had "VIP" status of sorts (second or third tier behind DACO bigshots and of course the customer reps) since my mom worked for Heimie Heimerdinger, who was piloting the first ship and who had been at our house a couple of times for BBQs and the like. I still remember the noise the big jet made - seriously loud but drowned out by the cheers around me.

Seat 2A, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
10. If not the Mercure, the A-300.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:54 pm

Well, the DC-3 comes to mind first and foremost. All kinds of airlines operated the DC-3

Another might be the Boeing 307, the first pressurized airliner. Pan Am and TWA come to mind as notable operators

As a bonus, I'll toss in the Boeing 247 - a variety of operators, notably United

Originally Posted by jrl767
they were in fact the only original operators, as the total production run was a mere 10 aircraft; as is typical, they sported various other liveries of operators around the world in their later years

eight of the 10 were written off in accidents; the final resting place of the only intact Stratoliner is at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum near IAD

I’ll also offer the Ford TriMotor (Transcontinental and Western, Pan Am, Dominicana de Aviacion, many others) and Fokker F.VII (TWA, Pan Am, KLM, Swissair, many others) as early examples of airliners in this era

and a host of classic types, most of which have reappeared in this memory-jogging thread a goodly number of times, being retired from service
Apologies to the slow response to this; I got a little tied up with some family obligations again.

Incidentally, the Boeing 247 and Douglas DC-3 were my questioner's two preferred answers, and it also tossed out the Boeing 307 as an acceptable answer. So, you guys are correct.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
10. If not the Mercure, the A-300.
The A300 was the intended correct answer! In my previous hints, I was tempted to say that the Mercure was on the right track for more reasons than being released during the desired decade.

After learning about this answer from the bot a few weeks ago, I took in a few articles and videos about the A300 (I forgot to save links, unfortunately, but there is no shortage of material out there) program and was quite impressed. I previously didn't have such a strong appreciation of the evolutionary role the A300 played in all other planes introduced by Airbus since the 70s. I did like the Mercure answer because it definitely came first (and "earliest" was the objective), but if we take impact into account, it's no contest IMO.

I'm curious to hear if any of you have different thoughts.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:08 am

.duplicate

Last edited by moondog; Apr 9, 2024 at 12:11 am Reason: duplicate
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:11 am

Last 3 from that set...

Originally posted in #29096

Most recent update before trimming #29113

If any of these have already been introduced into play and I've overlooked them, please let me know.

3. During World War II, this airline played a significant role in ferrying military aircraft and personnel. What was the name of the airline, and which routes did it operate during this period?

6. What was the significance of the 1930 Air Mail Act in the United States, and how did it impact the development of commercial aviation?

8. In the 1980s, this airline made headlines by becoming the launch customer for a groundbreaking aircraft known for its advanced composite materials and efficient design. Name the airline and the aircraft.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond

This sounds like United and the 777. I don't know exactly when the order was placed, but given the 1995 introduction into revenue service with not one but three introductory flights by UA, the timing seems right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.