Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well what the heck – even though my Wi-Fi availability will initially be a bit spotty over the next couple of days, let’s go ahead and get a few questions out here anyway. This set does come with a caveat, however. To wit, the practice of abandoning questions that I wrote about a couple weeks back – I’ve decided to address it as follows:

So long as any participant has an unanswered question out there, meaning one that they initiated the answer process on, regardless of whether it was a single question response or part of a double question response – they will thereafter be limited to just ONE new question per day UNTIL they have made at least TWO additional attempts to answer the unanswered question.

You guys are amongst the best and the brightest in this particular field of esoterica, so I’m expecting your answers to be specific. No scatter shot “either/or” type responses, please. Additionally, your second and third responses need not be correct. You just need to make an honest effort to finish what you started. Should someone else swoop in with the correct answer before you’ve submitted your second or third response, your obligation to that question is thereby satisfied and you are free to resume two per days. If you subsequently miss on the first go-round on another question, the whole process starts all over again. Again, the driving factor here is to make an honest effort to finish what you started.

Other than that, just a reminder that we are variant specific with answers here. As such, we require more detail than a simple “DC-8, DC-9, 727 or 737” answer, given that each model has some significant size differences between certain variants. Obviously, we’re not going to quibble between a DC-9-30/40 or a 737-100/200 but I think you all get my drift here. We do expect to see a 747SP indicated as such, but won't quibble over 747-100/200/300/400

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 13, 2023 at 10:01 pm
Old Nov 11, 2023, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
27- final guess for today on the 737-200 odyssey:
  1. ONT-PHX-SLC, America West
  2. SLC-DEN-MCI, Vanguard
  3. MCI-STL-SDF, Southwest
Old Nov 11, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
27. (1995) You love those fat little Boeing twinjets, and so for your upcoming trip from Ontario, CA to Louisville, KY you’ve booked a trio of one-stop flights aboard three airlines, each of them operating the second smallest variant. That means you’ll have two connections to make, so hopefully all of these flights will be running on time. Identify the three airlines, the complete routing including enroute stops and the aircraft type and variant common to all three flights.

Final guess for today on the 737-200 odyssey:
  1. ONT-PHX-SLC, America West
  2. SLC-DEN-MCI, Vanguard
  3. MCI-STL-SDF, Southwest

WINNER! WINNER!! CHICKEN DINNER!!! Well done, J - Pretty impressive working through this in just 2-3 guesses Here's the itinerary -

America West HP 800 Ontario (ONT) 605a-805a Phoenix (PHX) 933a-1105a Salt Lake City (SLC) 737-200 X7
Vanguard NJ 108 Salt Lake City (SLC) 125p-240p Denver (DEN) 305p-540p Kansas City (MCI) 737-200 Daily
Southwest WN 698 Kansas City (MCI) 700p-758p St. Louis (STL) 820p-1015p Louisville (SDF) 737-200 X6

By The Way - Question 3 is still out there awaiting your 3rd response, though you're welcome to offer more responses today, tomorrow, whenever. The restriction only applies to responding to two new questions (until you've satisfied the 3 response commitment on any questions you've initiated in the past) , so you're still good to go on #3 today - multiple times if you wish.

In fact, even though you haven't submitted your third response on #3 yet, you're also eligible to check out one NEW question today - just not two.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 11, 2023 at 7:56 pm
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

15. (1995) A thorough perusal of a 1995 OAG checking all the traditional gateways as well as a few that werent led to the surprising discovery of a major and longstanding U.S. airline that per that 1995 OAG referenced operated just a single daily nonstop transcontinental U.S. domestic flight. Can you identify the airline, the route and the aircraft type involved?
Status: Moondog with one missed response. Need 2 more to resume two a days
Okay. The "longstanding US airline" requirement, which I overlooked during my first guess, theoretically puts me within guessing range. I'm still sticking with JFK-LAX because if you were an airline and could only operate one transcon, that would be it (similar to how airlines in tiny Asia/Pacific countries choose LAX if their resources limit them to a single US flight). As for the airline and a/c type, I'll go with TWA on a 767-200.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
15. (1995) A thorough perusal of a 1995 OAG checking all the traditional gateways as well as a few that weren’t led to the surprising discovery of a major and longstanding U.S. airline that per that 1995 OAG referenced operated just a single daily nonstop transcontinental U.S. domestic flight. Can you identify the airline, the route and the aircraft type involved?

Okay. The "longstanding US airline" requirement, which I overlooked during my first guess, theoretically puts me within guessing range. I'm still sticking with JFK-LAX because if you were an airline and could only operate one transcon, that would be it (similar to how airlines in tiny Asia/Pacific countries choose LAX if their resources limit them to a single US flight). As for the airline and a/c type, I'll go with TWA on a 767-200.

Alas, it was not TWA - which was still fairly active in the transcon market if only between JFK and LAX/SFO with multiple flights in each market. If it's of any assistance, know that LAX was not the origin/destination of the transcon in question.

As to the "new Question" restriction, you can still respond to one new question today if you like - just not two.

The whole idea here is to limit the detritus represented by abandoned or partially answered questions littering the questions list. Requiring a commitment to at least three attempts to answer doesn't guarantee that the question will get answered correctly, but it increases the chances that it will be, earlier, as well as decreasing the chances of it remaining half answered and littering up the playing field.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 11, 2023 at 9:51 pm
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I’ll re-engage on Q3 (PBI-XXX-YYC) tomorrow

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
15. (1995) A thorough perusal of a 1995 OAG checking all the traditional gateways as well as a few that weren’t led to the surprising discovery of a major and longstanding U.S. airline that per that 1995 OAG referenced operated just a single daily nonstop transcontinental U.S. domestic flight. Can you identify the airline, the route and the aircraft type involved?
15- since there’s nothing in the phrasing of the question to indicate that the airline of record actually had a long continuous history of nonstop TCON operations, I’m thinking Northwest

I know they had run SEA<>IAD with a 707-351B/C in the mid- to late 1970s, but in the 1995 timeframe I recall they had ventured into SEA<>BOS

I’m not sure of the equipment, but a 757 certainly seems plausible
Old Nov 11, 2023, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

15. (1995)A thorough perusal of a 1995 OAG checking all the traditional gateways as well as a few that weren’t led to the surprising discovery of a major and longstanding U.S. airline that per that 1995 OAG referenced operated just a single daily nonstop transcontinental U.S. domestic flight. Can you identify the airline, the route and the aircraft type involved?

Since there’s nothing in the phrasing of the question to indicate that the airline of record actually had a long continuous history of nonstop TCON operations, I’m thinking Northwest. I know they had run SEA<>IAD with a 707-351B/C in the mid- to late 1970s, but in the 1995 timeframe I recall they had ventured into SEA<>BOS. I’m not sure of the equipment, but a 757 certainly seems plausible

Good call, J! Northwest it is, on the BOS <> SEA route to boot. However, somewhat surprisingly, the aircraft was not a 757. I'll post the schedule if you wanna fill in the correct aircraft -

Northwest NW 179 Boston (BOS) 630p-940p DS Seattle (SEA) ___________ Daily
Moondog is now relieved of his commitment to Question 15. Be sure to shout jrl767 a beer next time you guys cross paths
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

15. (1995) A thorough perusal of a 1995 OAG checking all the traditional gateways as well as a few that werent led to the surprising discovery of a major and longstanding U.S. airline that per that 1995 OAG referenced operated just a single daily nonstop transcontinental U.S. domestic flight. Can you identify the airline, the route and the aircraft type involved?

Alas, it was not TWA - which was still fairly active in the transcon market if only between JFK and LAX/SFO with multiple flights in each market. If it's of any assistance, know that LAX was not the origin/destination of the transcon in question.
Alas, the art of the process of elimination continues (this is my favorite aspect of the game because while I don't have an encyclopedic brain, I have an okay handle on the basics during time periods such as the 80s and 90s; your hints and encouragement give enough confidence to keep guessing away)
-Since you've nixed LAX, but not JFK, I'm assuming that JFK is the east coast endpoint. Moreover, SFO is the logical second choice if LAX is out of the picture ---> JFK-SFO is my current routing guess
-My airline for this guess is Continental (CO)
-And, I'm sticking with 767-200 because I don't think you shot it down during guess #2, and while I think CO still had some 747s and DC10s in 1995, I believe they were mostly allocated to longer missions

So, with this being my third guess, I believe the question is now fair game for all, but I would still like to continue to chip away at it, if that's permitted.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15- NW, SEA<>BOS, 1995 — I seriously doubt this was a DC-10, so we must be looking at an A320

and for moondog, CO would have operated at EWR rather than JFK
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog

-My airline for this guess is Continental (CO) And, I'm sticking with 767-200 because I don't think you shot it down during guess #2, and while I think CO still had some 747s and DC10s in 1995, I believe they were mostly allocated to longer missions

Um... might I refer you to POST 28386 and 28387 just above your most recent post...

So, with this being my third guess, I believe the question is now fair game for all, but I would still like to continue to chip away at it, if that's permitted.

And yes, it is indeed permitted. Chip away as many times as you like each day - following my responses to your responses. The ONLY limitation is on responding to new questions (Limit of one rather than two per day) if you've abandoned any question for which you've initiated the answer process before having made a decent effort (three tries) to answer it. In other words, if you start the answer process on a hitherto un-attempted question, I'm saying you're obligated to make a concerted effort to answer it before - as has been the practice amongst some in the past - of abandoning that question and moving on to two new questions. I want to move these questions. I want results. Y'all're smart enough to do just that with a bit of stick-to-it-ive-ness.

Additionally and ultimately, your three tries are not required to ultimately be correct - especially your third - but given the interest level, knowledge and intelligence of yourself and our other core participants, the likelihood of a correct response rises exponentially with three tries - if only due to the clues gleaned in the process of submitting one or two previously incorrect responses.

Bottom line: I want to put a halt to these partially answered or abandoned questions littering my question board. All I ask is a decent effort at doing so.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 12, 2023 at 3:55 am
Old Nov 12, 2023, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

15. (1995)A thorough perusal of a 1995 OAG checking all the traditional gateways as well as a few that werent led to the surprising discovery of a major and longstanding U.S. airline that per that 1995 OAG referenced operated just a single daily nonstop transcontinental U.S. domestic flight. Can you identify the airline, the route and the aircraft type involved?

Good call, J! Northwest it is, on the BOS <> SEA route to boot. However, somewhat surprisingly, the aircraft was not a 757. I'll post the schedule if you wanna fill in the correct aircraft

NW, SEA<>BOS, 1995 I seriously doubt this was a DC-10, so we must be looking at an A320

Northwest NW 179 Boston (BOS) 630p-940p DS Seattle (SEA) A320-200 Daily
Old Nov 12, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. (1995) With the insanity of Spring Break due to hit Floridas beaches next week, now would be a great time for a week of fresh powder and challenging slopes at the three world-class ski resorts in Banff National Park Mt. Norquay, Sunshine Village and the Lake Louise ski Resort. Youve found a convenient itinerary departing West Palm Beach involving two nonstop flights, operated by two different airlines each operating different models of aircraft built by the same aircraft manufacturer. You know the drill by now. Please identify all the particulars

How about PBI-ORD on AA (M80), and ORD-YYC on AC (D9S)

THAT is an excellent guess - and once upon a time, it may well have worked. ... As such, we are looking for different airlines (except AC), and different aircraft over a different routing.
3- by 1995 AC had disposed of their 72S fleet, and Im hard pressed to remember when if ever they served PBI, so were looking at either an A320 or a 767-200 for the flight into YYC

I cant see AC running a 767 into YYC from anywhere besides Toronto or LAX, neither of which fit well with the other parameters of the question, so that points to an A300 out of PBI lets try Continental, with the connection at Houston/IAH
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

5. (1990) JL Special No sooner have you stepped off Windjammer’s three-masted Barquentine at Port of Spain than you receive a telegram from your old college buddy. There’s been a last minute cancellation in his group that’s about to embark on a journey from Honolulu down to Christmas Island to fish for bonefish and grouper. Care to join them? If you can make it over to Honolulu by Sunday night, there’ll be a berth with your name on it in the aft cabin.

Faced with the prospect of returning home to Duluth, Minnesota or enjoying a couple additional weeks of sun, fun and camaraderie in the Pacific, you quickly telegraph back “Ya sure, you betcha! I’ll find a way to get there in time. Details to follow. STOP”

Imagine then, your surprise and delight to discover a direct, three stop flight departing Port of Spain each morning and arriving Honolulu just 21 hours and 46 minutes later. You make the call to the airline in question and book a seat - in First Class, of course! This itinerary is far too long to be traveled in anything but. Please identify the airline, the routing and the aircraft involved.
Time for a very wild guess indeed....

5. American operating a DC-10 with stops in San Juan, New York Kennedy and Los Angeles.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11. (1995) The jrl767 Special It’s been a great week of sun and fun on the black sand beaches of Hawaii’s Big Island, but alas, duty calls – this time in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Well, it beats Toledo, Ohio you suppose. On a positive note, you’ve come up with a great itinerary on a fairly straightforward route involving four nonstop flights operated by four airlines, each operating aircraft built by a different manufacturer. Please identify all the usual stuff – airlines, route and aircraft.
11- I’m pretty confident that this is one of those questions for which there are doubtless several plausible answers, so I’m going to posit a somewhat roundabout — though certainly “fairly straightforward” — route that starts with a bit of a backtrack:
  • Kona/KOA-Honolulu/HNL, Hawaiian DC-9-50
  • HNL-Los Angeles/LAX, Delta, L-1011
  • LAX-Newark/EWR, American, 767-200
  • EWR-SJU, Continental, A300
Old Nov 12, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3. (1995) With the insanity of Spring Break due to hit Floridas beaches next week, now would be a great time for a week of fresh powder and challenging slopes at the three world-class ski resorts in Banff National Park Mt. Norquay, Sunshine Village and the Lake Louise ski Resort. Youve found a convenient itinerary departing West Palm Beach involving two nonstop flights, operated by two different airlines each operating different models of aircraft built by the same aircraft manufacturer. You know the drill by now. Please identify all the particulars

By 1995 AC had disposed of their 72S fleet, and Im hard pressed to remember when if ever they served PBI, so were looking at either an A320 or a 767-200 for the flight into YYC. I cant see AC running a 767 into YYC from anywhere besides Toronto or LAX, neither of which fit well with the other parameters of the question, so that points to an A300 out of PBI lets try Continental, with the connection at Houston/IAH

Way to work it, there, J You are much, much closer - on the precipice of success I'd say... Continental with an A300 connecting with Air Canada's A320 is correct!
However, the connection was not made at Houston (IAH) Give me that correct connection airport and you're home free...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.