Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Oct 17, 2023, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
Originally Posted by jlemon
1978... 6. You are in West Palm Beach where you've just successfully concluded a sailboat transaction. A couple of old ski bum friends have called wanting to know if you would be interested in joining them at a ski resort located in Lake Louise, Alberta west of Calgary. Well, of course! You've put together an interesting itinerary involving three different airlines operating respective nonstop flights with each operating a different aircraft type produced by the same manufacturer. Thus, you will be making two connections during your journey from PBI to YYC. Identify all three air carriers, the two connecting airports and the aircraft types.
6-
letís start with a National Airlines Sun King D10 to LaGuardia, followed by an Air Canada D9S to Toronto, and finish up with a CP Air DC8
Old Oct 17, 2023, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
6-
letís start with a National Airlines Sun King D10 to LaGuardia, followed by an Air Canada D9S to Toronto, and finish up with a CP Air DC8
6. National, Air Canada and CP Air were not involved with this itinerary.

The connections were not made at New York LaGuardia or Toronto.

The DC-9-30 was not operated on any of the flights in question.

However, the DC-10 and the standard DC-8 were operated on two of the respective flights.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
6- let’s start with a National Airlines Sun King D10 to LaGuardia, followed by an Air Canada D9S to Toronto, and finish up with a CP Air DC8
6. National, Air Canada and CP Air were not involved with this itinerary.

The connections were not made at New York LaGuardia or Toronto.

The DC-9-30 was not operated on any of the flights in question.

However, the DC-10 and the standard DC-8 were operated on two of the respective flights.
6- next guess:
  • PBI-DFW American D10
  • DFW-LAS Delta DC8
  • LAS-YYC Hughes AirWest DC9
Old Oct 17, 2023, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
6- next guess:
  • PBI-DFW American D10
  • DFW-LAS Delta DC8
  • LAS-YYC Hughes AirWest DC9
6. American, Delta and Hughes Airwest (note spelling) were not involved with this itinerary.

And connections were not made at Dallas/Fort Worth or Las Vegas.

But one of the flights was operated with a DC9.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6-
ok, this is getting entertaining

we have a DC8, DC9, and D10 operated by different airlines other than AA/AC/CP/DL/NA/RW, and we know the routing didn't touch LGA/YYZ/DFW/LAS

since RW wasn't the DC9 operator we could be looking at EA/NC/RC/TW; United was pretty clearly the DC8 operator; and our choices for the DC-10 are CO/NW/WA

about the only option that fits with the route systems I recall from 1978 would be Western with the D10 up to YYC from Denver/DEN; that suggests UA into DEN with a DC8, but from where that would support starting at PBI on a DC9?

let's try Republic over Detroit/DTW

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 17, 2023 at 5:39 pm Reason: misread prior response
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6-
ok, this is getting entertaining

we have RW with a DC9, we have a DC8 and a D10 operated by different airlines other than AA/AC/CP/DL/NA, and we know the routing didn't touch LGA/YYZ/DFW/LAS

our choices for the DC-10 are Continental/Northwest/Western, since United was pretty clearly the DC8 operator, but the connecting points are puzzling

I'll offer NW to Chicago/ORD and UA to Salt Lake City/SLC, thence RW to YYC
6. Northwest and United were not involved in this itinerary.

Plus, if you'll once again read my previous response, you will see that I ruled out Hughes Airwest along with American and Delta.

And connections were not made at Chicago O'Hare or Salt Lake City.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, you answered while I was editing ... see above

of course that's now invalid because UA is out ...
  • PBI-DFW BN DC8
  • DFW-DEN TI DC9
  • DEN-YYC WA D10
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, you answered while I was editing ... see above

of course that's now invalid because UA is out ...
  • PBI-DFW BN DC8
  • DFW-DEN TI DC9
  • DEN-YYC WA D10
6. Ah, that's guess # 4 for the day.....

Plus, you once again guessed a connection airport that has already been ruled out: Dallas/Fort Worth.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 17, 2023 at 7:14 pm Reason: DFW already ruled out
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Oct 18, 2023, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. You are on your way from Portland, Oregon to Pittsburgh. Your flight operates daily and makes two stops en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the aircraft type. It wasn't Eastern, the equipment wasn't a 727-100 and the second stop wasn't made at STL. The first stop was made at SEA.
gonna let that other one rest for awhile ... this could be Braniff with a 72S, second stop at Kansas City/MCI

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 18, 2023 at 10:30 am
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. You are on your way from Portland, Oregon to Pittsburgh. Your flight operates daily and makes two stops en route. Identify the air carrier, the two stops and the aircraft type.
8. Here's the complete Braniff International sched as this service actually originated in Texas.....

BN 180: Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 7:00a - 7:45a Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 8:20a - 9:55a Portland (PDX) 10:30a - 11:05a Seattle (SEA) 11:45a - 4:45p Kansas City (MCI) 5:50p - 8:30p Pittsburgh (PIT)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Snack IAH-DFW, Breakfast DFW-PDX, Lunch SEA-MCI, Dinner MCI-PIT
Equip: 72S
Old Oct 19, 2023, 9:15 am

8. Here's the complete Braniff International sched as this service actually originated in Texas.....

BN 180: Houston Intercontinental (IAH) 7:00a - 7:45a Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 8:20a - 9:55a Portland (PDX) 10:30a - 11:05a Seattle (SEA) 11:45a - 4:45p Kansas City (MCI) 5:50p - 8:30p Pittsburgh (PIT)
Pardon my ignorance and excuse me for derailing the thread a bit, but just how common were routings like this in that time period? That's an absurdly out-of-the-way routing for a flight (I'm assuming that was all on one flight number). I understand milk runs and other direct flights that head in roughly the same direction the whole time, but why would an airline put together a flight like that? Does it exclusively have to do with route authorities under the CAB?
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dfw88
Pardon my ignorance and excuse me for derailing the thread a bit, but just how common were routings like this in that time period? That's an absurdly out-of-the-way routing for a flight (I'm assuming that was all on one flight number). I understand milk runs and other direct flights that head in roughly the same direction the whole time, but why would an airline put together a flight like that? Does it exclusively have to do with route authorities under the CAB?
Well, the CAB was pretty much out of the picture specifically with regard to telling the airlines which domestic routes they could fly in 1979. The Airline Deregulation Act was in effect by this time, of course, with the time line for the Braniff International flight in question being November 15, 1979. BTW, the CAB was still around back then but would finally cease to exist on January 1, 1985.

However, there are other examples of such routings (found in the OAG Flight Itineraries section as well as in the itinerary section of air carrier timetables, when provided) prior to the advent of the Airline Deregulation Act. Back in 1973, Delta was operating two such routings with DC-9-30 equipment: DL 514 operated a routing of Dallas Love (DAL) - Monroe (MLU) - Birmingham (BHM) - Atlanta (ATL) - Columbus (CMH) - Dayton (DAY) - Cincinnati (CVG) - Tampa (TPA) - Miami (MIA) while DL 690 operated a routing of Charleston (CHS) - Columbia (CAE) - Atlanta (ATL) - Memphis (MEM) - St. Louis (STL) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - Detroit (DTW) - Burlington (BTV) - Portland (PWM). I also seem to recall Southern operating some interesting "loop" routings with DC-9-10 aircraft.

And yes, the aforementioned Braniff International service (BN 180) was operated with just one flight number. So I think the answer here may lie with the respective flight scheduling departments of the various air carriers that chose to devise such routings, perhaps being influenced by aircraft utilization requirements.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 19, 2023 at 11:44 am
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:05 pm

Well, the CAB was pretty much out of the picture specifically with regard to telling the airlines which domestic routes they could fly in 1979. The Airline Deregulation Act was in effect by this time, of course, with the time line for the Braniff International flight in question being November 15, 1979. BTW, the CAB was still around back then but would finally cease to exist on January 1, 1985.

However, there are other examples of such routings (found in the OAG Flight Itineraries section as well as in the itinerary section of air carrier timetables, when provided) prior to the advent of the Airline Deregulation Act. Back in 1973, Delta was operating two such routings with DC-9-30 equipment: DL 514 operated a routing of Dallas Love (DAL) - Monroe (MLU) - Birmingham (BHM) - Atlanta (ATL) - Columbus (CMH) - Dayton (DAY) - Cincinnati (CVG) - Tampa (TPA) - Miami (MIA) while DL 690 operated a routing of Charleston (CHS) - Columbia (CAE) - Atlanta (ATL) - Memphis (MEM) - St. Louis (STL) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - Detroit (DTW) - Burlington (BTV) - Portland (PWM). I also seem to recall Southern operating some interesting "loop" routings with DC-9-10 aircraft.

And yes, the aforementioned Braniff International service (BN 180) was operated with just one flight number. So I think the answer here may lie with the respective flight scheduling departments of the various air carriers that chose to devise such routings, perhaps being influenced by aircraft utilization requirements.
Very interesting. Thanks for the extra information.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by dfw88

From my experience trying to book a couple of full itineraries like this, in each case I was denied. I was allowed to book any parts that fell within the reasonable and/or published routing for any two city pairs. As such, I would have been allowed to book IAH to as far as SEA or PDX or SEA all the way to PIT.

I would not have been allowed to book IAH or DFW to MCI or PIT without breaking the fare in PDX or SEA.
strickerj and dfw88 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.