Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Old Oct 20, 2023, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
From my experience trying to book a couple of full itineraries like this, in each case I was denied. I was allowed to book any parts that fell within the reasonable and/or published routing for any two city pairs. As such, I would have been allowed to book IAH to as far as SEA or PDX or SEA all the way to PIT.

I would not have been allowed to book IAH or DFW to MCI or PIT without breaking the fare in PDX or SEA.
Indeed. And typically these very indirect routings such as the Houston to Pittsburgh flight operated by Braniff International via DFW, PDX, SEA and MCI (BN 180) would not show up in the schedules section of the OAG but could only be found in the flight itineraries section.

This was also true concerning the Braniff International system timetable. If one wanted to fly from Houston to Pittsburgh, Braniff listed a connection to BN 180 in Kansas City with no mention of the indirect through flight.

BTW, Braniff was only operating one flight a day into Pittsburgh at this time in 1979. As we know, BN 180 would terminate at PIT and the aircraft would then RON. The next morning, a departure back to Kansas City was operated nonstop with this flight then operating another interesting and very indirect through service, this time all the way to Florida.

Here's the complete sched...

BN 183: Pittsburgh (PIT) 8:10a - 9:15a Kansas City (MCI) 10:05a - 11:35a Seattle (SEA) 12:10p - 12:45p Portland (PDX) 1:10p - 6:25p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 7:10p - 10:30p Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal services: Breakfast PIT-MCI, Lunch MCI-SEA, Lunch PDX-DFW, Dinner DFW-FLL
Equip: 72S
Seat 2A and dfw88 like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 20, 2023 at 10:20 am Reason: additional BN sched
Old Oct 22, 2023, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
BTW, I understand jrl767 has a set of 10 questions ready or almost ready to go.

I, too, am working on a new set - focusing on the 1990s. Weird how the 90s feel like yesterday and yet they're 24-33 years ago!

So, we should be in good shape for questions for the immediate future.

And - as always, we're always open to any of you having a go at presenting some questions. It's fun and challenging.

We also enjoy any memories any of you may care to revel us with of the "Good Old Days". Any of us who are old enough to have flown during the 1960s-1980s were truly blessed. To that end, I'm resubmitting a trip report from a 1979 trip I did from Colorado up to Alaska and back...

DENVER TO ALASKA ROUNDTRIP via SO, TI, DL, AA, AS, WC, CP, PW and UA
Old Oct 22, 2023, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

Please limit your response to just one (1) question per day in order to allow all to participate that choose to do so. Also, you will have three (3) chances per question per day. Should you not be able to correctly answer the question after three tries in any given day, please wait one day and then try again. As always, we are looking for complete answers here which includes being specific as possible concerning the aircraft types. Thanks!

2. It's 1972 and you are in New York City. You are planning to travel to Mexico City in order to attend a weekend wedding but would like to stop en route and have a leisurely late lunch on board a sailboat owned by an old friend. You've found a schedule that fits the bill and may even have enough time for a short sail at the destination where you will make your connection. Two airlines will be involved, each operating equipment produced by different manufacturers. One of the flights operates daily and the other only operates every Friday. Both flights are nonstops. Identify both airlines, the airport you will depart from in the New York City area as well as the airport where you will catch your connecting flight following your lunch engagement and the different aircraft types. ANSWERED

6. It's 1978. You are in West Palm Beach where you've just successfully concluded a sailboat transaction. A couple of old ski bum friends have called wanting to know if you would be interested in joining them at a ski resort located in Lake Louise, Alberta west of Calgary. Well, of course! You've put together an interesting itinerary involving three different airlines operating respective nonstop flights with each operating a different aircraft type produced by the same manufacturer. Thus, you will be making two connections during your journey from PBI to YYC. Identify all three air carriers, the two connecting airports and the aircraft types. ANSWERED

7. According to the OAG, there was only one airline operating nonstop service from Orlando to San Juan in 1978 and it was only operating one daily flight on the route. Name this air carrier and the equipment it operated on the service.ANSWERED

10. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 737-200 from Burbank to Dallas/Fort Worth in 1978, what airline would you call in southern California? Please note the daily flight in question from BUR to DFW wasn't a nonstop as it made two stops en route. So in order to correctly answer this one, you will also need to identify both stops along with the air carrier you will be calling to make your reservation. ANSWERED
And all now answered......

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 25, 2023 at 9:26 am Reason: answer updates
Old Oct 22, 2023, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
6. It's 1978. You are in West Palm Beach where you've just successfully concluded a sailboat transaction. A couple of old ski bum friends have called wanting to know if you would be interested in joining them at a ski resort located in Lake Louise, Alberta west of Calgary. Well, of course! You've put together an interesting itinerary involving three different airlines operating respective nonstop flights with each operating a different aircraft type produced by the same manufacturer. Thus, you will be making two connections during your journey from PBI to YYC. Identify all three air carriers, the two connecting airports and the aircraft types. National, Air Canada, CP Air, American, Delta, Hughes Airwest, Northwestand United were not involved in this itinerary. Connections were not made at LGA, YYZ, DFW, LAS, ORD or SLC. Standard DC-8, DC-9-10 and DC-10 equipment were respectively operated on these flights.
6- unless you were reading my mind the last couple days, I can’t find any evidence that I actually posited NA … Braniff, yes; but that was summarily rejected

here’s what I was contemplating:
  • PBI-IAH NA DC8
  • IAH-DEN TI DC9
  • DEN-YYC WA D10

BTW, I understand jrl767 has a set of 10 questions ready or almost ready to go.
it’s actually eight (two four-part itineraries) … and yes it’s about ready

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 22, 2023 at 4:05 pm
Old Oct 22, 2023, 10:09 pm

Air France to the Rescue!

As we wait - with great anticipation - for the next 2 (!) batches of quiz questions, I thought I might try to entertain the group with a story.
In 2005 some friends concluded it was time for us all to visit the great architectural/historical/cultural monuments in Uzbekistan (Samarkand and Bukhara). I was up for it and decided to stop off in the Caucasus on the way and visit Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan, seeing new countries, riding the trains and seeing a performance of Verdi's Don Carlo in Tbilisi, as the great Georgian bass Paata Burchuladze was returning to his homeland for some performances. So I booked a Delta business-class Skymiles ticket JFK-CDG (AF 777), CDG-Prague (AF A320), Prague-Yerevan (CSA 737), Tashkent-CDG (AF A319 [long flight for the 319, but that's what they had]), and CDG-JFK (DL 777). I also booked an Azerbaijan Airlines flight Baku-Tashkent (AVRO RJ85). Shortly thereafter Delta filed for bankruptcy, and when I dropped by the AF office to arrange seats, I was told the various airlines wouldn't accept the Delta ticket. So AF wrote out a new ticket on AF ticket stock, replacing the DL flight with an AF one, but since there was no award space left in J or even in F CDG-JFK, they booked me into full-fare first class, which let me earn Skymiles for the segment. It all went well until I received an email from Delta while in Yerevan telling me my DL ticket was now valid only on DL flights and I should make my own way to Istanbul, where DL could accommodate me. Since I had an AF ticket, I was not worried, but while in Baku I learned that AF had cancelled its Tashkent-CDG flight and that Azerbaijan Airlines would now transport all AF passengers. The Azerbaijan Airlines staff in Baku looked at me askance until they saw I had an AF ticket, rather than a DL one. The Azerbaijani passport people snarled at me for having an Armenian visa in my passport.
I rode the trains Yerevan-Tbilisi and Tbilisi-Baku and saw a wonderful opera performance. In Uzbekistan I met my friends and visited the great monuments, riding trains Tashkent-Samarkand-Bukhara-Tashkent. The Azerbaijan flight Tashkent-Frankfurt (767) was a disappointment with an awful breakfast, AF Frankfurt-CDG (A318) was fine, and AF CDG-JFK (777 in F) was wonderful. I've loved Air France ever since.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by Track; Oct 23, 2023 at 5:34 pm
Old Oct 23, 2023, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

6 - Let’s start with a National Airlines Sun King D10 to LaGuardia....
6. As you can see, you already guessed National.

However, National was subsequently ruled out in post # 28307 on Oct. 17.

Are you even reading my updated quiz questions?
Old Oct 23, 2023, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
2. It's 1972 and you are in New York City. You are planning to travel to Mexico City in order to attend a weekend wedding but would like to stop en route and have a leisurely late lunch on board a sailboat owned by an old friend. You've found a schedule that fits the bill and may even have enough time for a short sail at the destination where you will make your connection. Two airlines will be involved, each operating equipment produced by different manufacturers. One of the flights operates daily and the other only operates every Friday. Both flights are nonstops. Identify both airlines, the airport you will depart from in the New York City area as well as the airport where you will catch your connecting flight following your lunch engagement and the different aircraft types. The first flight departed from JFK....but it was not operated by National andthe equipment on this flight wasn't a Super DC-8. The connection was not made at TPA. The second flight was not operated by Pan Am and the aircraft on this flight wasn't a 707.

Thinking back to historic if not exotic routings to Mexico City - and knowing that our connection airport was near the ocean - I'm gonna cast the net a bit wider here and go with a Northeast 727-200 from JFK down to Nassau (which could be Delta depending upon the time of year, which was not provided. For those of you young whippersnappers reading this, Northeast was acquired by and merged into Delta Air Lines in August 1972) followed by a BOAC VC10 nonstop into Benito Juarez International.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spoiler

Thinking back to historic if not exotic routings to Mexico City - and knowing that our connection airport was near the ocean - I'm gonna cast the net a bit wider here and go with a Northeast 727-200 from JFK down to Nassau (which could be Delta depending upon the time of year, which was not provided. For those of you young whippersnappers reading this, Northeast was acquired by and merged into Delta Air Lines in August 1972) followed by a BOAC VC10 nonstop into Benito Juarez International.
2. Well done, sir! You are close enough concerning this one that I'll provide the answer!

The time line is indeed August of 1972 although the connection wasn't made in Nassau....but it was made in the Bahamas.

And here are the Delta and BOAC scheds....

DL 271: New York Kennedy (JFK) 11:00a - 1:35p Freeport (FPO)
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: 727-200
Note: Complete routing for DL 271 was JFK-FPO-NAS-JFK (no flight number change)

Connecting to....

BA 675: Freeport (FPO) 7:45p - 8:55p Mexico City (MEX)
Freq: Fridays only
Meal service: Dinner
Equip: VC-10
Note: Complete routing for BA 675 was LHR-BDA-FPO-MEX
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
once more, my profound apologies to jlemon for not being sufficiently thorough in combing back through the last 100 or so posts, as well as having forgotten what my initial guess was a couple weeks ago ...

I've exhausted my repertoire here ... as a last (lost?) resort I'll surmise that Braniff (Post # 28312, rebuffed in Post 28313) wasn't actually considered an official guess, and roll that one out again
  • PBI-DFW BN DC8
  • DFW-DEN TI DC9
  • DEN-YYC CO/WA D10 (I'm not sure whose metal actually operated this interchange service, and I'm done arguing about technicalities because that's making the whole process a lot less enjoyable ... )

Last edited by jrl767; Oct 23, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

once more, my profound apologies to jlemon for not being sufficiently thorough in combing back through the last 100 or so posts, as well as having forgotten what my initial guess was a couple weeks ago ...

I've exhausted my repertoire here ... as a last (lost?) resort I'll surmise that Braniff (Post # 28312, rebuffed in Post 28313) wasn't actually considered an official guess, and roll that one out again
  • PBI-DFW BN DC8
  • DFW-DEN TI DC9
  • DEN-YYC CO/WA D10

6. The first flight was not operated by Braniff International and it also wasn't flown with a DC-8.

Once again, you have guessed Dallas/Fort Worth as the first connection airport even though it's already been ruled out. I repeat: DFW was not one of the airports where a connection was made.

The second flight was not operated by Texas International and it also wasn't flown with a DC-9.

The second connection was made in Denver.

The third flight was operated by Western with a DC-10.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 24, 2023 at 9:58 am
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

6. It's 1978. You are in West Palm Beach where you've just successfully concluded a sailboat transaction. A couple of old ski bum friends have called wanting to know if you would be interested in joining them at a ski resort located in Lake Louise, Alberta west of Calgary. Well, of course! You've put together an interesting itinerary involving three different airlines operating respective nonstop flights with each operating a different aircraft type produced by the same manufacturer. Thus, you will be making two connections during your journey from PBI to YYC. Identify all three air carriers, the two connecting airports and the aircraft types.

7. According to the OAG, in 1978 there was only one airline operating nonstop service from Orlando to San Juan and it was only operating one daily flight on the route. Name this air carrier and the equipment it operated on the service.

10. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 737-200 from Burbank to Dallas/Fort Worth in 1978, what airline would you call in southern California? Please note the daily flight in question from BUR to DFW wasn't a nonstop as it made two stops en route. So in order to correctly answer this one, you will also need to identify both stops along with the air carrier you will be calling to make your reservation.
Time to close the above out....

6. Here are the Air Florida, Braniff International and Western scheds...

QH 3: West Palm Beach (PBI) 6:45a - 7:10a Miami (MIA)
Freq: Mondays through Thursdays only
Service class: S
Meal service: None
Equip: DC-9-10
Note: Complete routing for QH 3 was PBI-MIA-TLH

Connecting to.....

BN 380: Miami (MIA) 9:00a - 11:10a Denver (DEN)
Meal service: Breakfast
Equip: DC-8
Note: Complete routing for BN 380 was FLL-MIA-DEN-OAK

Connecting to.......

WA 973: Denver (DEN) 1:00p - 3:20p Calgary (YYC)
Meal service: Lunch
Equip: DC-10
Note: This was an interchange flight operated in conjunction with Continental on a routing of IAH-DEN-YYC

7. Please see post # 28334.

10. You would have called Hughes Airwest as this was an interchange flight operated in conjunction with Frontier.

Here's the sched....

RW/FL 66: Burbank (BUR) 1:45p - 4:18p Salt Lake City (SLC) 4:49p - 6:00p Denver (DEN) 7:11p - 9:52p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Service class: Y
Meal services: Snack BUR-SLC, Snack SLC-DEN, Dinner DEN-DFW
Equip: 737-200
Note: Interchange point was SLC

This was one of two interchange services that Hughes Airwest was operating from Burbank in conjunction with Frontier at this time. The other interchange flight was also operated with a 737-200 and was flown on a routing of Burbank - Las Vegas - Denver - St. Louis on a daily basis. The interchange point was LAS.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 25, 2023 at 10:05 am
Old Oct 25, 2023, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

7. According to the OAG, there was only one airline operating nonstop service from Orlando to San Juan in 1978 and it was only operating one daily flight on the route. Name this air carrier and the equipment it operated on the service. WITHDRAWN FOR FUTURE RESUBMISSION

I know it's a little late, but my guess/remembrance is an Air Florida DC-9-10
That said, I gotta buncha questions ready to go now...
Old Oct 25, 2023, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was one of two interchange services that Hughes Airwest was operating from Burbank in conjunction with Frontier at this time. The other interchange flight was also operated with a 737-200 and was flown on a routing of Burbank - Las Vegas - Denver - St. Louis on a daily basis. The interchange point was LAS.
to my knowledge — which pales in comparison to that of a few others here — these have to be some of the only interchange flights where one of the two carriers didn’t actually operate the same aircraft type elsewhere in its route system

save for a few 72Ss, RW was entirely a DC-9 operator; WA had 72Ss and DC-10s in addition to the 737s

as for the next set, I’ll defer to Seat 2A for now
Old Oct 25, 2023, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7.I know it's a little late, but my guess/remembrance is an Air Florida DC-9-10.

That said, I gotta buncha questions ready to go now...
7. Never too late for you, sir.....and you are correct!

Here's the roundtrip sched operated by Air Florida with the baby Nine.....

QH 90: Orlando (MIA) 9:00p - 12:35a San Juan (SJU)
Equip: DC9

QH 91: San Juan (SJU) 1:30a - 3:05a Orlando (MCO) 3:30a - 4:10a Miami (MIA)
Equip: DC9

It's around 1190 miles from Orlando to San Juan and so just within range of the DC-9.

Here's a photo of an Air Florida DC-9-15 taken in 1978. This particular airplane was delivered new to Continental in 1967.....

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10541917

When Continental CEO Bob Six ordered his DC-9-15RC fleet, they were all capable of being quickly reconfigured for all-cargo flights....although I do not believe CO ever used the aircraft for cargo operations on a regular basis.

Here's a photo of a Continental DC-9 taken by Jon Proctor back in 1969....

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/6256127

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 25, 2023 at 10:22 am Reason: added photo links
Old Oct 25, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WA had 72Ss and DC-10s in addition to the 737s....
Western was still operating Boeing 707-347C (including the combi version) and 720-047B aircraft in 1978.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.