Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Bonus question: Which was the last all-Pullman (sleeper) and all-Pullman (parlor car) train in the U.S.?

I'm thinking the last all-sleeper train may have been Santa Fe's Super Chief. Though historically an all-Pullman train, by the late sixties the Santa Fe began to combine the Super Chief and the all-coach El Capitan. During peak periods however, I recall hearing that the Chief was operated as a separate all-sleeper train as late as 1969. I might add that I say "All-sleeper" because Pullman ceased operating at the end of 1968. If we're talking "all Pullman"... I dunno... maybe the Broadway Limited.

As for all-Parlor, I have no idea. Probably somewhere back east in the Northeast Corridor...
Surprisingly, the last all-sleeper (+ diner and lounge) train in the U.S. was Illinois Central's Panama Limited (Chicago-New Orleans), until coaches were added in 1967 (Amtrak took over in 1971).
Santa Fe's Chief ran until 1968, but it already conveyed coaches in the mid-1950s. The Super Chief was billed as an all-sleeper train until 1971, but in fact after 1958 it was only an appendage of Santa Fe's all-coach El Capitan in the off season.

And, even more surprisingly, the last all-Parlor Car train was the Friday-only Long Island Railroad's Cannonball (Jamaica-Montauk). I think the all-parlor consists ran until the depression. The 1930 Official Guide of the Railways shows the Cannonball (along with half a dozen other trains) with parlor cars, but does not mention "parlor cars only" as was still the case with several other railroads, e.g., PRR, NYNH&H. I remember reading about the all-parlor Cannonball running after World War II, and in the mid-1970's I saw it in Jamaica with eight parlor cars and three coaches.
Seat 2A likes this.

Last edited by Track; Mar 6, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:34 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Here's a picture I took of the Super Chief at a stop in December 1970. Looks like coach cars and a vista dome to me. It was a fabulous trip (Chicago to LA) by the way.

Seat 2A and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:16 am

16. What is the highest elevation airport in the U.S. to have been served by scheduled airline flights?
I'll guess TEX for this one. Telluride currently has Denver Air Connection service (perhaps seasonal? I'm not sure).
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)

16. What is the highest elevation airport in the U.S. to have been served by scheduled airline flights?
16. I believe this is the airfield serving Leadville, Colorado.

And I recall seeing a Rocky Mountain Airways DHC-6 Twin Otter at the Leadville airport many years ago.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jlemon
16. I believe this is the airfield serving Leadville, Colorado.

And I recall seeing a Rocky Mountain Airways DHC-6 Twin Otter at the Leadville airport many years ago.
I was aware that Leadville is higher than Telluride, but I did not know that Leadville once had commercial service.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by dfw88

I'll guess TEX for this one. Telluride currently has Denver Air Connection service (perhaps seasonal? I'm not sure).

Telluride Regional Airport (TEX) sits at 9,078 feet. Were the question worded say - currently served by scheduled airline flights - I suspect TEX would be correct. However, given the wording - to have been served - brings the past into play, and as such there was an airport (still is, actually, though it no longer receives scheduled airline service) that's almost 900 feet higher than TEX. I've been to both airports - though have never flown into either - and given its spectacular setting, Telluride's airport, situated on a high plateau, definitely gives the appearance of being the highest. Leadville's airport sits in a high, broad valley, in the shadow of Colorado's two highest peaks.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

I believe this is the airfield serving Leadville, Colorado. And I recall seeing a Rocky Mountain Airways DHC-6 Twin Otter at the Leadville airport many years ago.

Correct! Leadville Airport, a.k.a. Lake County Airport (LXV) , sits at 9,934', making it the highest airport in North America. And yep, as noted RMA did once serve LXV. RMA was the launch customer for the de Havilland Canada DHC-7, though I don't believe Leadville's population ever warranted the use of the larger aircraft.

Leadville hasn't had commercial air service since the nineties, I think. Aspen's airport (ASE) is only 29 miles from Leadville, but via Independence Pass (12095') only accessible during the summer and early autumn. Otherwise, you can take US 24 up over Tennessee Pass to I-70, turn left and end up at Eagle County Regional Airport (EGE) 62 miles away.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K (closing in on 0.5MM)
just realized that (viewing 40 posts per page) we are on Page 727 of this thread

13. Can you list – in order – the first five airlines to receive Boeing’s 747?
I'm fairly confident of the first three:
  1. Pan Am
  2. TWA
  3. Air France
  4. Lufthansa
  5. JAL
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, I could not find a photo of a Rocky Mountain Airways DHC-6 Twin Otter at the Lake County Airport in Leadville, Colorado.

But I did find this photo...

https://www.airliners.net/photo/unti...a-150/429012/L

The Continental Divide is in background.

BTW, the highest mountain peak in Colorado is located near Leadville, being Mt. Elbert with a summit elevation of 14,433 feet.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 7, 2024 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 7, 2024, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

I'm fairly confident of the first three:
  1. Pan Am Correct!
  2. TWA Correct!
  3. Air France Incorrect
  4. Lufthansa Correct!
  5. JAL Incorrect
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA — the REAL Washington; occasionally (but a lot less often than before) in the other Washington (DCA area)
per jrl767:
  1. Pan Am Correct!
  2. TWA Correct!
  3. Air France Incorrect
  4. Lufthansa Correct!
  5. JAL Incorrect
13- second guess (JL certainly wasn’t any earlier, so I’m presuming AF is out of sequence and LH was indeed the fourth customer):
  1. PA
  2. TW
  3. BA
  4. LH
  5. AF
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

13- second guess (JL certainly wasn’t any earlier, so I’m presuming AF is out of sequence and LH was indeed the fourth customer):
  1. PA Correct!
  2. TW Correct!
  3. BA Incorrect
  4. LH Correct!
  5. AF Incorrect
Lufthansa is indeed the fourth airline to receive the Queen. Somewhat surprisingly, BA and AF are not amongst the first five. I sense success is just around the corner...
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Somewhat surprisingly, BA and AF are not amongst the first five.
ok then, let’s try NW as the third and United as the fifth
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Okay then, let’s try NW as the third and United as the fifth
  1. Pan Am Correct!
  2. TWA Correct!
  3. Northwest Incorrect
  4. Lufthansa Correct!
  5. United Incorrect
A most reasonable possibility, but NO! It was neither NW nor UA. That said, one of the airlines we're looking for is from North America...
Old Mar 8, 2024, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will promote JAL to third position and move Northwest as number 5, thus:
  1. PA
  2. TW
  3. JL
  4. LH
  5. NW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.